Working with Verizon

jbomb11

Banned
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Ok so here I go.

I am cell phone nerd - love to get new when new arrives.
Currently have a g3 and an s5 - just sold my note 3
Planning to get the Turbo - ehhhhh maybe the note 4.

Ok so now to the how - I went to Verizon today to talk over my options:
-My parents both have i phones - both want androids - one of them has an upgrade
-I was dead honest with the rep - told him my dad wants an s5 or g3 - BINGO - I have both so I get my wish newest phone.

Scenario 1 - upgrade my dad's line (which has the current upgrade available) get the Turbo. Walk out of the store with an activate later on the order. Rep told me I couldn't because it would deactivate my dad's line and that I would need to go to verizon with him to upgrade to the turbo then process the switch because of the nano sim.

Scenario 2 - get the note 4 (with my dad's upgrade) - rep told me I would have to wait until I'm with my dad. Activate the note 4 with my dads new sim (because i phone 4 - which has doesnt have one) then swap the sims from my phone to the note 4 (yay new phone for me) then activate the s5 with my dads new sim.

Other wild card is the turbo promotion - which online says you can mail in the old phone for the $100 credit within 5 days of activation. Which is no problem. Then I would have to order the phone online correct? Would that have any effect on the above scenarios?

Problem - I want the phone now (Today Monday). I couldnt deal with having the new phone sitting in my house that I couldnt use. It would eat me alive!

Was the rep being serious? I thought I could get the new phone today with my dad's upgrade walk out of the store with new phone in hand. Pop my sim in the note 4, or hop online with the nano sim and swap online with the nano SIM id number so I could use the Turbo. Then when I see my dad hop online enter the SIM id number and activate the g3 or s5 for him.

Can I do this - or do I have to wait to be with my dad?

Other wild card is i have two new SIM cards in my possession from past warranty replacements from my wifes phone - which when we got the new phone I didnt need them. So there has to be a way to activate either of these without interupting my dads service.

Reality is - he is an hour away - so driving there tonight would be an inconvenience I dont want to deal with, but I want the new phone now.

Now all these scenarios are pending on the fact that I choose the Turbo or the note 4 - my biggest concern is can I swap SIM cards online without interrupting my dad's service until I get to his place this weekend without interupting his service?

If so - if anyone can confirm I am out the door to get the new phone and prep the s5 or g3 for my pops this weekend, or I just have to wait patiently... :'(

Any feedback would be appreciated - thanks a million!

jbomb11

Banned
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Yea people do that still - but me being the tech nerd and I know many others on here are doing this constantly. My pops doesnt care what kind of phone he has - he just wants an android because of the 4g and better camera , and now loves facebook because he can talk politics and memes with his friends and famiily.

Droid Turbo, Note 4, s5 - he doesnt care so its a win win for both of us. I get newest tech he gets a better phone.

Just need the logistics to work out since he is an hour away from me. :)

Danny1Bears3

Nov 2, 2014
Visit site
Nah that rep is bs'ing you. I'm 19, and I went to go get the Note 4 using my mother's upgrade (she used mine) and he gave me a whole bunch of crap about how I can't activate it without deactivating her line. Now, keep in mind I'm a Computer Security student switched from Computer Science. I knew he was giving me a load of crap just because I'm young and thought I was going behind my parents' backs to upgrade.

Go to a different store, don't explain to them the situation. Maybe they'll let you upgrade. BTW I called 2 reps when this happened to me and they told me the guy in the store was full of ish.

Turbo-Shot from my Ballistic Turbo

jbomb11

Banned
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Nah that rep is bs'ing you. I'm 19, and I went to go get the Note 4 using my mother's upgrade (she used mine) and he gave me a whole bunch of crap about how I can't activate it without deactivating her line. Now, keep in mind I'm a Computer Security student switched from Computer Science. I knew he was giving me a load of crap just because I'm young and thought I was going behind my parents' backs to upgrade.

Go to a different store, don't explain to them the situation. Maybe they'll let you upgrade. BTW I called 2 reps when this happened to me and they told me the guy in the store was full of ish.

Turbo-Shot from my Ballistic Turbo
That's what I thought but the iPhone 4 my dad using not having a SIM And them setting up as an activate later sketched me out a bit.

If I get the turbo which I'm leaning toward I could just go online and switch my SIM to that because its a nano and I currently have micro. Right?

keegh

Mar 20, 2014
Visit site
Assuming you are all on the same account, the associate should be able to just transfer his upgrade to your line, you would walk out with the Turbo on your number and whenever its convenient you can switch one of your old phones to your dads line.

Last time I checked online there were even options to transfer upgrades, could always do it online and pick up in store.

Robisan

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
Can you conference call w/your dad to VZW customer service? Maybe with his ok over the phone they can set you up for in-store pick-up near you.

jbomb11

Banned
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
I'm the account holder. I went to another Verizon store problem is iPhone 4 doesn't use a SIM. They need,to activate the phone in store for the upgrade to show in the system.

Said they could activate the phone then my dad would have to dial 228 then I could activate on my line....

Looks I'm ordering online

keegh

Mar 20, 2014
Visit site
I'm the account holder. I went to another Verizon store problem is iPhone 4 doesn't use a SIM. They need,to activate the phone in store for the upgrade to show in the system.

Said they could activate the phone then my dad would have to dial 228 then I could activate on my line....

Looks I'm ordering online

They should be able to transfer the upgrade to your line without messing with your fathers line.
I'd try the store one more time or do online with in store pickup if you really want the phone asap.

Sarah Thrash

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
Ummm you should be able to go into the store and use another lines upgrade from the account.....I did. Thats how I got my turbo. The only thing that would stop them from doing it is if you are not listed as an account holder .

Last edited:

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
BlueBlazer60 said:
Doesn't anyone just walk in and buy phone anymore?

Here's my scenario. There's four of us in the family. Three have contracts expiring Dec. 1st. Everybody wants a Turbo. We all want to go on the Edge program. We all want the $100 credit. Been to the store three times, talked to Verizon reps over the phone. Get conflicting offers from all of them.

Last Week, in Verizon store: The three people with contracts expiring who are eligible for upgrades, can get the $100 credit if they turn in their old phones; the person without a contract expiring must turn in his phone and that will cancel his contract, but no $100 credit. All get new shiny Turbos on the Edge program.

Monday in Verizon store: If you get on Edge now it would be "Early Edge" and no one would get the $100 credit. You must wait until Dec. 1st when your contract expires to get on Edge, and to get the $100 credit. But only the three with contracts expiring gets the $100.

Last Night (Tues.) in store: If you get on Edge now it would be "Early Edge" and you would not get the $100 credit. You must wait until at least November 24th, within 7 days of your contract expiring to get on Edge and get the $100 credit. The fourth person would be released from his contract but would not get $100 credit.

Last Night on phone with Verizon.com: If you get on Edge now it would be "Early Edge" and you would not get the $100 credit. You must wait until December 1st to get on Edge and get the $100 credit. However, if you have an older smartphone, not currently activated, you can turn that in now, get on Edge, AND get the $100 credit.

Last night, website: Says if you are upgrade eligible (three of us are) you can get on Edge program with the Turbo AND get the $100 credit. I attempted to do that but couldn't figure out how to get the $100 credit. Abandoned shopping cart.

<SMH>

djousma

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
Here's my scenario. There's four of us in the family. Three have contracts expiring Dec. 1st. Everybody wants a Turbo. We all want to go on the Edge program. We all want the $100 credit. Been to the store three times, talked to Verizon reps over the phone. Get conflicting offers from all of them.

Last Week, in Verizon store: The three people with contracts expiring who are eligible for upgrades, can get the $100 credit if they turn in their old phones; the person without a contract expiring must turn in his phone and that will cancel his contract, but no $100 credit. All get new shiny Turbos on the Edge program.

Monday in Verizon store: If you get on Edge now it would be "Early Edge" and no one would get the $100 credit. You must wait until Dec. 1st when your contract expires to get on Edge, and to get the $100 credit. But only the three with contracts expiring gets the $100.

Last Night (Tues.) in store: If you get on Edge now it would be "Early Edge" and you would not get the $100 credit. You must wait until at least November 24th, within 7 days of your contract expiring to get on Edge and get the $100 credit. The fourth person would be released from his contract but would not get $100 credit.

Last Night on phone with Verizon.com: If you get on Edge now it would be "Early Edge" and you would not get the $100 credit. You must wait until December 1st to get on Edge and get the $100 credit. However, if you have an older smartphone, not currently activated, you can turn that in now, get on Edge, AND get the $100 credit.

Last night, website: Says if you are upgrade eligible (three of us are) you can get on Edge program with the Turbo AND get the $100 credit. I attempted to do that but couldn't figure out how to get the $100 credit. Abandoned shopping cart.

<SMH>

You can early edge onto the Turbo, but as you know you have to turn in your phone for a $0 value. If you have another old smartphone laying around the house, you can turn that one in to get the $100 credit. Both my wife and I did that, both of us still had one year to go on contract(but were not on edge then). Both of us turned in a Droid Ultra/Droid Maxx, and in addition I turned in a Droid RAZR, and she turned in my old Droid RAZR Maxx. Got the $100 credit immediately at the store, and had it applied to our account.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
You can early edge onto the Turbo, but as you know you have to turn in your phone for a $0 value. If you have another old smartphone laying around the house, you can turn that one in to get the $100 credit. Both my wife and I did that, both of us still had one year to go on contract(but were not on edge then). Both of us turned in a Droid Ultra/Droid Maxx, and in addition I turned in a Droid RAZR, and she turned in my old Droid RAZR Maxx. Got the $100 credit immediately at the store, and had it applied to our account.

OK, your explanation fits all the variables I heard over the past few days. I guess we'll just wait until December 1st and do the deal then. Hopefully there will be a better deal in place then. I have heard the $100 credit runs to December 31st. Still, I'm dying to pick up this beast!