Can you remove the Google search bar from the top of every screen?

Davidoo

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
Is there not a way to remove the horizontal Google search bar from all, or even some of my screens? All the other widgets and items on our main screens can be long pressed and removed, but this one just opens no matter how I press it.

It is odd because there is an option to add it as it is showing with the other widgets in the widget menu, but no way to remove it. I just find it an annoyance that you can't move it or delete it. I had the same search bar on my S3 and could delete it.

Last edited:

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
You can do that using a third party launcher. My choice is Nova. Full of great tweaks and features even the with the free version.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
Is there not a way to remove the horizontal Google search bar from all, our even some of my screens? All the other widgets and items on our main screens can be long pressed and removed, but this one just opens no matter how I press it.

It is odd because there is an option to add it as it is showing with the other widgets in the widget menu, but no way to remove it. I just find it an annoyance that you can't move it or delete it. I had the same search bar on my S3 and could delete it.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...com.teslacoilsw.launcher&hl=en&token=tQKaizia

Davidoo

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
Just amazing how the manufacturers and carriers force us to have certain things on OUR screens and OUR devices that WE buy. Having to add an app just to remove a widget is ridiculous.

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Is there not a way to remove the horizontal Google search bar from all, or even some of my screens? All the other widgets and items on our main screens can be long pressed and removed, but this one just opens no matter how I press it.

Go in to your apps and disable google search then restart your phone. It gets rid of the search bar on your home screens. The top row is still unusable for apps or widgets though.

Firedogee

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
Why get an Android phone if you're gonna disable Google search? It will render the Moto Voice useless.

Sent Turbo-fast from my bulletproof 64GB Droid Turbo

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
i removed it with Nova. i usually just search from the Chrome address bar. also - i used Nova to add a voice search icon opposite to my phone icon.

PolarBear8

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
Just amazing how the manufacturers and carriers force us to have certain things on OUR screens and OUR devices that WE buy. Having to add an app just to remove a widget is ridiculous.

Remember those manufacturers are NOT sitting around thinking "gee what would our customers really like ?". No No No they are thinking "those poor saps how can we get more out of them, from forcing dumb apps on them, to locking what we buy to carriers charging below the line."

Seriously if you think that you deserve something from them you are dead wrong. Look around, every which way you turn someone is trying to get into your pocket and take your money. They are not out to save you money.

Take for instance Verizon when they switched to charging for data. Their PR was "we are giving our customers what they are asking for"...... REALLY ? But hey they believe it.

We as customers are simply a pair of pants or a purse with a wallet inside that needs help being emptied.

PolarBear8

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
I have the S5 and it had some baby monitor app installed. No way to disable it so I rooted and froze the sucker.

I thought really ?

kisle91

Aug 13, 2011
Visit site
I removed mine by long pressing the recent apps button. Then I hit settings and unchecked google search in home screen settings.

Allen Ford

Jan 7, 2015
Visit site
On the droid turbo you go to your home screen, hold down on screen in an area with no icon. bottom of screen go to settings, cut google search off, and there you go.

Neriko

Sep 13, 2015
Visit site
Yes. Long press on any empty space on your home screen. This should bring up two sets of menus. Click settings, and turn off "Show Google search bar on home screen"

masondroid

Nov 7, 2015
Visit site
Yes there is a way...Go to the google app in the google folder or in the app tray...Click on the google app and go to its settings. there is a slider that allows you to turn off google search bar.......If I want to do a search I can just swipe up on my home screen....

Well I also see there is a easier way as someone already mentioned....thanks

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuckm