I am pretty sure I am changing to Verizon since they offering 10gb for $80 and thinking about waiting for the nexus 6 or getting the turbo. Which ones better? I don't care that much for instant updates
    11-04-2014 05:53 AM
    If it wasn't so big (I've had both the note 2 and note 3 and got rid of them) I'd go for the nexus because it's a nexus.
    11-04-2014 06:01 AM
    Turbo FTW. Size matters and the Moto Apps are amazing on the Turbo. Kinda surprised Nexus didn't have those.

Sent Turbo-fast from my bulletproof 64GB Droid Turbo
    11-04-2014 06:03 AM
    Either is good, just make sure you take the plastic off the screen.
    11-04-2014 06:06 AM
    The nexus is just a bit too big for me. The note3 was pushing it but i loved it.

Turbo is about the right size for me, for now anyway lol

Im actually surprised the nexus made the jump to such a bigger frame, i know several people that are die hard nexus fans, and they dont want one due to it being so big.

Posted via the Android Central App
    11-04-2014 06:10 AM
    The nexus is just a bit too big for me. The note3 was pushing it but i loved it.

Turbo is about the right size for me, for now anyway lol

Im actually surprised the nexus made the jump to such a bigger frame, i know several people that are die hard nexus fans, and they dont want one due to it being so big.

From all first impressions it's the same physical size as a note 4 since it doesn't have the physical buttons and note 4 is about the same as the note 3. Nexus 6 appeals to me since it's big and a nexus but turbo appeals to me with the design
    11-04-2014 06:25 AM
    I wonder if users will see a big difference in battery performance with each as both have superior batteries, though the Turbo seems to be a little stronger.

Posted via Android Central App
    11-04-2014 06:32 AM
    I wonder if users will see a big difference in battery performance with each as both have superior batteries, though the Turbo seems to be a little stronger.

I think the turbo since it has the bigger battery plus smaller screen so it should in theory
    11-04-2014 06:35 AM

Yeah. Though the N6 has a 6" QHD screen which will chew through battery like a radioactive caffeinated squirrel.

11-04-2014 06:37 AM
    Real tough question. I grabbed the Turbo and there is a part of me that wishes I had waited. Both are sweet devices, no doubt. I have a real issue with the grip on the turbo (ballistic nylon) and my guess is even though it's larger, the back of the N6 is going to have much more grip to it so it may be easier to operate than the slick turbo. Big deal in my opinion. I've also not gotten consistent performance from the camera. Low light indoor shots with auto flash are way over exposed and some outdoor shots I took yesterday were under exposed shooting a black subject with the sun behind it. Some shots are awesome, it's just not consistent with auto settings. OIS on the N6 is going to be a huge addition as well, admittedly I do not have the steadiest of hands though.

Thats my honest take on it, hope it helps. It's kind of one of those choices that's hard to screw up, I do think both are top shelf phones.
    11-04-2014 07:48 AM
    I was set on getting the Nexus to replace my Note 4. Once I heard the size I was out. To large to use on the go. I do a ton of driving so having such a large phone and trying to use it on the go is difficult. I find the turbo to be a good size for me. Even in an otterbox I can use the phone one handed.

Add that to the Active display and Moto assist and it is an excellent device for me. Best of luck in your decision
    11-04-2014 08:04 AM
    I may swap to the Nexus 6 when it's out on Verizon. I like stock Android and the Turbo is close, but... I would prefer on-screen buttons vs. capacitive buttons... Not because they're more responsive or anything like that.. I just like the look of just a bare screen on the front of my device. (Barring the speaker grill and camera, of course.)

Plus, the Nexus 6 will always be at the latest and greatest Android Though I think the DROID Turbo will get Lollipop soon enough, if Lollipop isn't out for the DROID Turbo by the beginning of next year, I'll definitely swap to the Nexus 6 in January...

I'm also one of those people who likes a bigger screen too. Stereo front facing speakers are also icing on the cake.
    11-04-2014 08:11 AM
    Yeah. Though the N6 has a 6" QHD screen which will chew through battery like a radioactive caffeinated squirrel.

I think thats up for debate.
    Turbo:Super AMOLED capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors 1440 x 2560 pixels, 5.2 inches (~565 ppi pixel density) Li-Po 3900 mAh battery
    Nexus 6:AMOLED capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors 1440 x 2560 pixels, 5.96 inches (~493 ppi pixel density) Li-Po 3220 mAh battery

Pixel density could make a difference. And since there is supposed to be some battery saving features in Lollipop which comes with the 6. I know Turbo is supposed to get it but until its here theres no way to really compare the phones. I really like my turbo but will consider switching when the 6 is released. I want to see how the 6 compares in the hand. Just keeping options open.
    11-04-2014 08:15 AM
    Could be, but the 6" back light alone hints at regression in battery life life.

11-04-2014 09:12 AM
    Could be, but the 6" back light alone hints at regression in battery life life.

Please explain a little bit more. Im not following. Thank you in advance.
    11-04-2014 09:16 AM
    Please explain a little bit more. Im not following. Thank you in advance.
    I think I'm wrong about the back light, that's LCD only.

" There are two main families of OLED: those based on small molecules and those employing*polymers. Adding mobile*ions*to an OLED creates a*light-emitting electrochemical cell*(LEC) which has a slightly different mode of operation. OLED displays can use either*passive-matrix(PMOLED) or*active-matrix*addressing schemes. Active-matrix OLEDs (AMOLED) require a*thin-film transistor*backplane to switch each individual pixel on or off, but allow for higher resolution and larger display sizes.

An OLED display works without a*backlight; thus, it can display deep*black levels*and can be thinner and lighter than a*liquid crystal display*(LCD). In low ambient light conditions (such as a dark room), an OLED screen can achieve a higher*contrast ratio*than an LCD, regardless of whether the LCD uses*cold cathode fluorescent lamps*or an*LED backlight."

sodaboy581 and mobrules like this.
    11-04-2014 09:28 AM
    I think I'm wrong about the back light, that's LCD only.

" There are two main families of OLED: those based on small molecules and those employing*polymers. Adding mobile*ions*to an OLED creates a*light-emitting electrochemical cell*(LEC) which has a slightly different mode of operation. OLED displays can use either*passive-matrix(PMOLED) or*active-matrix*addressing schemes. Active-matrix OLEDs (AMOLED) require a*thin-film transistor*backplane to switch each individual pixel on or off, but allow for higher resolution and larger display sizes.

An OLED display works without a*backlight; thus, it can display deep*black levels*and can be thinner and lighter than a*liquid crystal display*(LCD). In low ambient light conditions (such as a dark room), an OLED screen can achieve a higher*contrast ratio*than an LCD, regardless of whether the LCD uses*cold cathode fluorescent lamps*or an*LED backlight."

Thanks man.
    11-04-2014 09:32 AM
    I am pretty sure I am changing to Verizon since they offering 10gb for $80 and thinking about waiting for the nexus 6 or getting the turbo. Which ones better? I don't care that much for instant updates
    For me it came down to size. Do yourself a favor and look up the measurements of the nexus 6 and physically draw the size out on a piece of paper and imagine you holding it up to your ear for a phone call. If you don't think its too big, I would go for the Nexus, otherwise go for the Turbo.
    11-04-2014 09:57 AM
    For me it came down to size. Do yourself a favor and look up the measurements of the nexus 6 and physically draw the size out on a piece of paper and imagine you holding it up to your ear for a phone call. If you don't think its too big, I would go for the Nexus, otherwise go for the Turbo.
    My current phone is the note 4 and the dimensions are almost the same. It's more of do I want to wait forever ? Already going to be without a phone for a while since I have to return my note 4 to t-mobile and the signal booster

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    11-04-2014 09:58 AM
    I think thats up for debate.
    Turbo:Super AMOLED capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors 1440 x 2560 pixels, 5.2 inches (~565 ppi pixel density) Li-Po 3900 mAh battery
    Nexus 6:AMOLED capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors 1440 x 2560 pixels, 5.96 inches (~493 ppi pixel density) Li-Po 3220 mAh battery
    Actually, the Turbo has a plain AMOLED screen, not a "Super" AMOLED screen. Samsung is the only manufacturer who pumps out Super AMOLED screens, so the Nexus 6 and Turbo should have very similar screens.

Just FYI, in case you don't know the difference:

Super AMOLED is Samsung's term for an AMOLED display with an integrated digitizer, meaning that the layer that detects touch is integrated into the screen, rather than overlaid on top of it. According to Samsung, Super AMOLED reflects one-fifth as much sunlight compared to the first generation AMOLED.[21][22] The display technology itself is not changed. Super AMOLED is part of the Pentile matrix family. It is sometimes abbreviated SAMOLED.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMOLED#Super_AMOLED
    11-04-2014 10:00 AM
    Actually, the Turbo has a plain AMOLED screen, not a "Super" AMOLED screen. Samsung is the only manufacturer who pumps out Super AMOLED screens, so the Nexus 6 and Turbo should have very similar screens.

Just FYI, in case you don't know the difference:

AMOLED - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Thank you. I had no idea.
    11-04-2014 10:21 AM
    What do you get when you cross Touchwiz with Super Amoled?

HD Super Lag
    or
    Super AmoLag

11-04-2014 10:32 AM

This is a good idea. I've cut pieces of cardboard to size and held it to my ear, put it in my pocket, etc.

Nexus 6 on the left; Droid Turbo on the right.

Druid turbo vs nexus 6-nexus-turbo1.png

Druid turbo vs nexus 6-nexus-turbo2.png
    11-04-2014 10:36 AM
    This is an old post, but I will point it out anyway:

The displays are Samsung manufactured.

Samsung is the only company with OLED at this pixel density.

The last time that Samsung fundamentally altered their OLED fab (the shift from 720p to 1080p), they initiall encountered yield and/or output problems that prevented fullscale implementation of the new display resolution node in its first generation of devices....

more simply put, Samsung expected that they would not be able to make as many working 1440p displays at the speed that they managed to achieve this time around, because they last time they switched to a higher resolution they could not meet their own handset demand and they had to ship a bunch of Galaxy S phonse with 1080p LCD displays.

This time they met, and greatly exceeded, their own internal demand and sold Motorola the excess capacity.

Motorola has their own proprietary circuit board, display firmware, etc. and the AMOLED vs SAMOLED is really the equivalent of saying that Motorola has either used an off the shelf, license-free or cheap, backplane construction that does not have its own marketing language.
    05-07-2015 02:44 AM
    This is an old post, but I will point it out anyway:

The displays are Samsung manufactured.

Samsung is the only company with OLED at this pixel density.

The last time that Samsung fundamentally altered their OLED fab (the shift from 720p to 1080p), they initiall encountered yield and/or output problems that prevented fullscale implementation of the new display resolution node in its first generation of devices....

more simply put, Samsung expected that they would not be able to make as many working 1440p displays at the speed that they managed to achieve this time around, because they last time they switched to a higher resolution they could not meet their own handset demand and they had to ship a bunch of Galaxy S phonse with 1080p LCD displays.

This time they met, and greatly exceeded, their own internal demand and sold Motorola the excess capacity.

Motorola has their own proprietary circuit board, display firmware, etc. and the AMOLED vs SAMOLED is really the equivalent of saying that Motorola has either used an off the shelf, license-free or cheap, backplane construction that does not have its own marketing language.
    Hi Mr. Samsung

05-07-2015 05:03 AM