10-07-2016 09:42 PM
26 12
tools
    Wanted to charge my phone with the Turbo charger while keeping it on my desk. So I grabbed a longer USB cable and found it didn't work with the charger. That's when I noticed how much thicker the cable is that cable with the charger. Not one of the many USB cables I have is as thicker and none of the thinner ones I tried worked. Guess I could just use an electric extension cord unless anyone knows where to find the right kind of USB cable?

By the way took right at 2 hours to charge on the Turbo charger from 5% to 100%. Phone got pretty warm.
    11-04-2014 08:41 PM
    Well crap. I just threw a bunch of USB cables in a drawer (including the one from the Turbo). Are there any identifying marks? I didn't know the CABLE was special!
    11-04-2014 09:23 PM
    11-04-2014 09:26 PM
    Well crap. I just threw a bunch of USB cables in a drawer (including the one from the Turbo). Are there any identifying marks? I didn't know the CABLE was special!
    No distinguishing marks, but it should be easy to identify as it's much thicker than the others I have.
    11-04-2014 09:40 PM
    OK. Just so I can confirm that I am using the correct cable - are you saying that it doesn't charge at all or that using the wrong cable doesn't take advantage of the 'quick' charge? I think you were saying that it doesn't work at all..?
    11-04-2014 09:45 PM
    I have a generic 6ft USB cable that I used with my Turbo charger yesterday, the phone recognized the Turbo charger with no issues and quick charged my phone.

I bought the cable off of Amazon a couple of years ago for under 5 bucks. So it isn't some special, high priced cable.
    VZWsucks likes this.
    11-04-2014 09:51 PM
    Yeah, turns out I never even opened the original USB and was using one from an older phone (another Moto or maybe an even older HTC) but it has worked for the last two nights. On another note - MAN the supplied cable is VERY short!
    11-04-2014 09:58 PM
    That is why I am using a 6ft after market cable
    11-04-2014 10:06 PM
    Couldn't get my 6' cable to work at all. Others, as you've likely seen, have had success with different cables.
    11-04-2014 10:13 PM
    This is the 6 foot cable I am using. Looks like the price went up by 50 cents. It is now 5.49

Amazon.com: AmazonBasics USB Cable - 2.0 A Male to Micro B - 6 Feet (1.8 Meters): Computers & Accessories
    11-04-2014 10:16 PM
    Check out monoprice. CHEAP($.74) cables and everyone I have ever had worked great. I used a 3 ft one the other day w/torbo charger and it worked fine. I also like that they have everything from 1 ft to 15 ft.

3ft USB 2.0 A Male to Micro 5pin Male 28/28AWG Cable - Monoprice.com
    11-04-2014 10:29 PM
    Does the phone give you an indication that it is charging faster?
    11-06-2014 12:30 AM
    My longer cable from my Logitech mouse/keyboard works. I'm using it since the Moto was short.

Sent from my Motorola Droid Turbo
    11-06-2014 03:06 AM
    Yes, look at the screen when you use it.
    11-06-2014 03:36 AM
    what is the size of the cable that comes with the phone?

it is 3 ft?
    02-04-2015 10:36 PM
    I think it's 3 ft. I just looked and monoprice has 6 ft ones for less than 2.00.
    02-05-2015 08:24 AM
    I'm using the cable from my HTC DNAs charger because the Turbos cord is so darn short. My phone charges just fine, turbo charger is recognized without issue.

Posted from 64GB BN Droid Turbo
    02-05-2015 09:13 AM
    "Turbo charger connected" is displayed for a few seconds upon connection.
    02-05-2015 11:38 AM
    03-28-2015 03:33 AM
    Yes on the moto cord or USB cable both sides contain pro gs there's a set of prongs on one side that are further apart and on the other side the charging prongs ( prongs meaning the the metal raised points on usually the flat side of the end if the cable that plugs into your phone) the other side of the cable end that plugs into your phone has another set of raised prongs that are closer together. If you'll notice on most USB charging cables there's only prongs on one side. This is partly or mostly why the moto has the turbo charging or faster charging capability this should help you determine which is the moto turbo cable. It does make a gift different NDE in charging speed my husband and I can charges our phone to 100% in 20 minutes from 0-20% to start. Hope this helps. Good luck!!!!!
    03-28-2015 03:43 AM
    Yes on the moto cord or USB cable both sides contain pro gs there's a set of prongs on one side that are further apart and on the other side the charging prongs ( prongs meaning the the metal raised points on usually the flat side of the end if the cable that plugs into your phone) the other side of the cable end that plugs into your phone has another set of raised prongs that are closer together. If you'll notice on most USB charging cables there's only prongs on one side. This is partly or mostly why the moto has the turbo charging or faster charging capability this should help you determine which is the moto turbo cable. It does make a gift different NDE in charging speed my husband and I can charges our phone to 100% in 20 minutes from 0-20% to start. Hope this helps. Good luck!!!!!
    I just looked at the 2 charging cables I have handy. One is from my Turbo, and one is from my Droid Maxx. They are completely identical, the prongs are in the same spot, the markings are the same, even the lines where both halves of the connector come together are the same. And both display "Turbo charger detected" when connected between my Turbo and the Turbo charger. I don't know if you were using a generic USB charging cord, but from what I've seen, all Motorola USB cords are the same. I used to have a 2013 Moto X, and that had the same cord as the Droid Maxx as well. So since neither the Maxx nor the 2013 X had rapid charging, I think it has less to do with needing one specific cable, and more to do with using one (anyone) that came with a Motorola phone. Just my $.02.

Edit: I just did a little test of the cords I had in the house. The cord from my Nexus 7 and one of the generic cords I had worked fine, the cable from my old Galaxy S3 and a different generic cable did not. On the generic cable that didn't work, the actual connector part (metal part) is slightly shorter than the others. Otherwise, there is no difference between the generic that did work, the Motorola cables, the Nexus 7 cable, and the Galaxy S3 cable. So there appears to be no rhyme or reason to what will or won't work, you might just have to plug it in and see if the "Turbo charger detected" message appears or not to know if it will or won't work.
    03-28-2015 05:27 PM
    The droid turbo usb has a rounded USB connetor where it connects to the phone where your fingers kind of concaves to your fingers makes it more comfortable. And it also has a motorola emblem on the usb where it connects to the wall plug in. Hope that helps you.
    08-19-2015 07:23 AM
    The droid turbo usb has a rounded USB connetor where it connects to the phone where your fingers kind of concaves to your fingers makes it more comfortable. And it also has a motorola emblem on the usb where it connects to the wall plug in. Hope that helps you.
    You are correct, however the design is the same as those on every Motorola phone since I believe 2013 (Moto X 2013 & 2014, Droid Turbo, Maxx, Ultra, & Mini). So visually there isn't a way to tell. What I did after I heard about this was to simply plug them into the Turbo Charger and look at the screen. When the correct cable is used, it will say "Turbo Charger detected". Then I marked that cable.
    08-19-2015 05:54 PM
    Same here... I use a thick longer non stock cord with my turbo charger and it works fine. I've known about the thicker cables for a while.
    02-02-2016 07:05 AM
    I have about 4-5 usb cables that fit the nturbo, but only one works with the turbo charger they all work fine for my wife's phone !
    02-02-2016 04:19 PM
26 12