Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Qi charging stand

Bob-B

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone used this Verizon brand Qi charging stand with the Turbo? I saw it at a Verizon store today and it looked nice because (1) there is no hassle finding the "sweet spot" for charging as it is a cradle and (2) I could use the phone while it is charging. It is the same idea as the Tylt Vu, but it has a much, much smaller footprint. The only downside is that it's $60.

verizon-qi-wireless-charging-stand.jpg

travaz

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Verizon Qi charging stand

It says on the Verizon web site that it "Does not work with Droid Turbo"

Verizon Qi Wireless Charging Stand | Verizon Wireless

Having said that I have the Incipio Ghost "Droid " Qi charger and it also says it wont work with the Droid Turbo. However it works perfectly fine with my Turbo and is the charger I have used since I got it 10/30/2014. I did try the Turbo charger for a few minutes to see if It worked. Looks like you are going to have to try it.

stevenmh

Nov 5, 2014
Visit site

I have two of them and they work fine with the Turbo. My wife's has the Incipio case. This is my first wireless charging phone and haven't experienced any of the problems with having to place it a certain way. Tried landscape and portrait and it works the same either way. Seems to charge about as fast as a regular USB cable.

I also considered the TYLT dock, which has very positive reviews, but they somehow managed to make a standing dock consume more footprint than if I just tossed the phone down flat. I had the Qi-Infinity dock in my Amazon cart so I could order as soon as I came home with the phones, but saw the Verizon charger in the store and got that instead. It was more expensive but I figured if it didn't work it would be easier to return. Plus, the Qi-Infinity has a charging LED on the front. The VZW charger has it on the underside of the lip. So you get a little glow from underneath instead of the charger lighting up the bedroom. And the red trim you see on the back of the charger isn't just decorative, it's rubbery and keeps the phone from sliding around.

bizzyqu

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

I have the nokia charging stand and plate(name?) for my BlackBerry Z30, understated and in black, will be using them on my turbo.

-Myk-

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site

I am also using a Nokia Qi charger, it works fine once you know where to put the phone on it. I line up the bottom edge of my phone with the bottom (long side) of the charge and it works with no issues. This is the same charger I used for my Droid DNA.

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site

I've been using a Tylt charger with no problems. They had one of the Turbos sitting on that Verizon charger in the store. It looked like a pretty nice charger. Almost thought about buying one even though I have no need for a second charger.

dungoyle

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site

Thumbs up on the Tylt Wireless Qi Charger. It works great with my Turbo.
Great looking charger; maybe the best looking one out there. $60 is too much IMO, and the angle is too flat for me also. I'll eventually get one for the office since I learned that the phone can't quite make it a full day when used as a wireless hot spot (no real surprise, but would have been nice). My criteria is a more vertical angle, landscape and portrait friendly, and sub-$40.00

joemg

May 2, 2010
Visit site

Has anyone used this Verizon brand Qi charging stand with the Turbo? I saw it at a Verizon store today and it looked nice because (1) there is no hassle finding the "sweet spot" for charging as it is a cradle and (2) I could use the phone while it is charging. It is the same idea as the Tylt Vu, but it has a much, much smaller footprint. The only downside is that it's $60.

View attachment 145918

I bought the charger the same day I got the Turbo and I love it. Even if I do return the Turbo I will keep the charger.

travaz

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site

I love the huge VZW Logo :p
And I love the fact that the 64 MB has no VZW logo on the BN version
I think I might try one of these would go nice next to the bed

Bob-B

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site

I am the OP, and I bought the charger today. It indeed works fine with the Turbo. I guess Verizon just hasn't updated their website to reflect that the Turbo has compatibility with this charger. I originally bought the Tylt Vu, but it is going back. While I'm sure the Tylt is a fine charger as posts above confirm, it takes up so much more desktop/nightstand space as compared to this Verizon one.

travaz, the link to the charger on Amazon is a similar looking charger, but it is definitely not the same one.

ghbishop

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site

I just got the Verizon charger.

I subtle red light underneath the stand comes on when charging. On a desk you only see the reflection of the light coming off the desk.

If you put it on the stand when screen is locked you get a nice circle graphic that shows the amount of charge.

The Droid Turbo is slightly wider than the stand which makes it easy to pick up .

It has a AC adapter with maybe 5 to 6 ft of cord and a small round plug that goes in the back - ( not a mini USB ).

I run Daydream as a clock when charging so it makes a good desk clock in sleep mode that moves the image around to avoid screen burn in.

Overall recommend it.

Rogus

May 1, 2012
Visit site

I run Daydream as a clock when charging so it makes a good desk clock in sleep mode that moves the image around to avoid screen burn in.

Do the capacitive buttons stay light when you are running Daydream?

ghbishop

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site

Yes,

They stay on in a lighted room.

If I turn the lights out the buttons go out for about 10 seconds then they come back on.

There is a night mode - that dims the clock - but the buttons stay lit.

Looks like this could be better and fixed with an update.

ghbishop

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site

Found a solution:

Dock Clock App - set to launch manually on free version

The problem with daydream is that nothing puts the phone in "dock" mode. There aren't any magnets or docks like the old droids. Daydream will run in "docked" or "charging" mode. Unfortunately "charged" does not equal "charging" so daydream stops when the device is fully charged.

Solution: Dock Clock- the app is nice - the clock moves around to avoid burn in, the buttons are off and it shows the weather. You can change the color of the text, even use your wall paper as background. It also runs in landscape mode. (The stand also charges in landscape ) Its free but the paid version adds notifications.

Motorola should consider seriously adding this app to the Droid Turbo.

Last edited:

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I have a Nokia stand that is upright. I paid about 20 on sale at at&t. I don't have a Turbo but the stand works fine with my DNA and nexus 7.

Posted via Android Central App

ralpheburns

Jan 7, 2015
Visit site
Hello,
I'm new to the Turbo and ended up buying this Tmvel Qi charging stand because I liked the more upright angle. It works fine when powered with the OEM Turbo wall-wort charger. However, I'd like to find a way to put the phone in "dock" mode when on the charging stand... is there a good way?

Amazon: Tmvel T3 Qi Wireless 3-Coils Folding Charging Stand for Qi-Enabled Phones and Tablets Note 4 , S5, Nexus 6, Nexus 5 - Retail Packaging. $54.95, ASIN: B00P6OMD96

ckelly33

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site

Found a solution:

Dock Clock App - set to launch manually on free version

The problem with daydream is that nothing puts the phone in "dock" mode. There aren't any magnets or docks like the old droids. Daydream will run in "docked" or "charging" mode. Unfortunately "charged" does not equal "charging" so daydream stops when the device is fully charged.

Solution: Dock Clock- the app is nice - the clock moves around to avoid burn in, the buttons are off and it shows the weather. You can change the color of the text, even use your wall paper as background. It also runs in landscape mode. (The stand also charges in landscape ) Its free but the paid version adds notifications.

Motorola should consider seriously adding this app to the Droid Turbo.
My clock app killed the battery. Basically once the charger hit 100% it would do charging but the asp kept the screen on and drained the battery back to about 60% by the time I woke up. Only an issue on the sick, not when plugged in Have you been using this so? How does it work?