11-13-2015 10:40 PM
109 1234 ...
tools
    Just watched the video. The two devices I have are slower then that. I'll see if I can post a video to YouTube later this afternoon.
    I believe it but no idea why. I know on my previous phones, available lighting has a huge impact on both camera performance and photo quality, more so than regular cameras since it's a tiny little thing despite the fancy MP talk. Might also try another camera app just for the heck of it. I'll report back when I get mine. Honestly, the dog photo posted above, my S4 don't do any better if it't not really bright so that the "shutter speed" can be fast, or slow, whichever it is.
    11-05-2014 01:17 PM
    It's a very good and real question. I made the same change you are considering, RMHD to the Turbo. Overall I am pleased but the camera is far from perfect. I'm still getting used to it but my issues have been over exposed shots in low light with flash on auto, under exposed shooting outside with the sun behind the subject (to the point of the subject basically being blacked out), blurred shots with moving subjects....pretty much if it's still and in good light it's way above average, that's it's wheelhouse.

I attribute some of the disparity in comments here to a fanboy attitude that seems prevalent with device forums....I know that will not be popular but it's my honest opinion.

I'm no Android expert, far from it but the way I read the L camera update stuff the only changes are going to be in manual settings and access to HDR+....right? If so I'm not sure it will address the issues I'm having....?
    11-05-2014 01:32 PM
    Hey to the op, go buy one, you have 14 days to return, what's better than that? This is the best android out there currently imo, you will fall in love, swept away,,, or take it back no worries, it's just a phone with a 21 mg camera on it.

Posted via the Android Central App
    NickA likes this.
    11-05-2014 01:35 PM
    I suspect that OIS bit is an effort to combat this very issue with low light. When there is less light hitting the sensor, it has to hit it for longer to have a decent image, just the way those things work. Same reason I use a tripod with an SLR for low light stuff, less movement better photo. My expectations are relatively low for a cell phone camera, even in 2014.
    Masheen likes this.
    11-05-2014 01:46 PM
    Hey to the op, go buy one, you have 14 days to return, what's better than that? This is the best android out there currently imo, you will fall in love, swept away,,, or take it back no worries, it's just a phone with a 21 mg camera on it.

Posted via the Android Central App
    I'll probably end up getting a Turbo. My contract is up on the 30th. I'm probably going to go to Verizon EDGE and I'm not sure they will let me do that ahead of my contract expiration date. I might go to Verizon tonight with questions.
    11-05-2014 01:49 PM
    I suspect that OIS bit is an effort to combat this very issue with low light. When there is less light hitting the sensor, it has to hit it for longer to have a decent image, just the way those things work. Same reason I use a tripod with an SLR for low light stuff, less movement better photo. My expectations are relatively low for a cell phone camera, even in 2014.
    Good point, and now that I look it up I don't think the Turbo even has Digital Image Stabilization. Being a photographer, do you have any thoughts on this?

Sent Turbo-fast from my bulletproof 64GB Droid Turbo
    11-05-2014 01:50 PM
    Good point, and now that I look it up I don't think the Turbo even has Digital Image Stabilization. Being a photographer, do you have any thoughts on this?

I understand it does have digital stabilization for 1080 video.
    11-05-2014 02:03 PM
    I understand it does have digital stabilization for 1080 video.
    What about still photos? That is what we were discussing right?

11-05-2014 02:07 PM
    I'm a lot more some geek with a $500 camera than I am photographer. But I am a big fan of photo taking and have done/do a lot of it.
    I've never been a fan of digital image stabilization, or any digital altering really, but it's a necessary evil with the compromises that
    are made with a cell phone camera. I'll look into it a bit, and if goofy fedex ever gets here I'll have some hands on with the DT.
    11-05-2014 02:30 PM
    Search youtube for "Motorola Droid Turbo Camera Speed"
    Faster than my s4 looks like. If FedEx ever get's it's stuff together I'll find out for myself.
    That's about how fast mine is too.
    11-05-2014 02:37 PM
    That's about how fast mine is too.
    Is this the video where the phone's display takes up almost the whole screen? And is only about 30 seconds long?

If I saw the same video as you, it appears to be indoor shots with lots of light. I would say that is acceptable shutter speed but somewhat on the slow side.
    11-05-2014 02:40 PM
    Is this the video where the phone's display takes up almost the whole screen? And is only about 30 seconds long?

If I saw the same video as you, it appears to be indoor shots with lots of light. I would say that is acceptable shutter speed but somewhat on the slow side.
    This one:

11-05-2014 02:41 PM
    This one:

Yup, that's it. Looks like he has a white screen draped in front of the vertical edge of a fireplace chimney with the lights cranked way up. I mean, what is that white square in the bottom half of the phone's display? Under these conditions I hope the shutter would be fairly fast.
    11-05-2014 02:52 PM
    As I understand it, this update to the camera, via Lollipop, will allow for added functionality and features. However, (correct me if I'm wrong) it also means that Moto or Google or some other app developer will need to update their camera app so as to be able to access these improvements. In other words, when I get Lollipop on my new Droid Turbo, my camera will not instantly turn into a new beast.

Someone more knowledgeable than I would have to speak to your point. I have never coded an Android app. But if as the article states Lollipop camera changes are opening up areas that in the past required using an app to access it might not be as difficult as you expect. My guess would be that if Lollipop allows direct access to the additional camera function that at the very least Google camera would be enhanced for the new functions.

Any knowledgeable app developer care to explain what would have to occur to have the expanded camera access available to a Turbo user?
    11-05-2014 03:30 PM
    Yup, that's it. Looks like he has a white screen draped in front of the vertical edge of a fireplace chimney with the lights cranked way up. I mean, what is that white square in the bottom half of the phone's display? Under these conditions I hope the shutter would be fairly fast.
    One of the problems with this conversation, as you pointed out, is that unless one has a light meter or manually locks all the settings(which may not even be possible), the point is rather moot as no two cases are the same short of pitch dark and maybe full outside sun overhead brightness. You could do a fair replication with a given, say hundred watt, light of the same color temp/brand/etc in a photobox the same angle/distance/etc but beyond that, it's all apples and oranges imo despite being the same hardware. This is why one person has a faster shutter than another or has better perceived shot quality I suspect rather than a difference in the devices. If you want to get a taste of such go read a review for a mid level point and shoot at dpreview dot com and look at the lengths they go to get comparable results from device to device.
    Occasionally I've seen photography guys review cell cameras, but not often.
    I'd say if it's not "do'in-it" for you, try a different one. But don't expect consistent miracles from a tiny little
    $20 digicam. It's amazing they do as well as they do with so little to work with.
    BlueBlazer60 likes this.
    11-05-2014 04:03 PM
    It's a very good and real question. I made the same change you are considering, RMHD to the Turbo. Overall I am pleased but the camera is far from perfect. I'm still getting used to it but my issues have been over exposed shots in low light with flash on auto, under exposed shooting outside with the sun behind the subject (to the point of the subject basically being blacked out), blurred shots with moving subjects....pretty much if it's still and in good light it's way above average, that's it's wheelhouse.

I attribute some of the disparity in comments here to a fanboy attitude that seems prevalent with device forums....I know that will not be popular but it's my honest opinion.

I'm no Android expert, far from it but the way I read the L camera update stuff the only changes are going to be in manual settings and access to HDR+....right? If so I'm not sure it will address the issues I'm having....?

When ever possible always shot with the sun behind you . Photography 101 rule of thumb .
    11-05-2014 06:59 PM
    Its better than the iPhone 5s... That I can say with certainty
    11-05-2014 10:06 PM
    Did some photo observation and it's.. almost disappointing but not surprising.
    Bare in mind this is still preliminary.

Low light non-HDR the GS4 has less noise. HDR mode (on not auto on the DT) the DT has less noise than the
    GS4 does in HDR or non, and takes HDR photo's considerably faster. From a few brief comparison shots with the flash inside, the DT
    pics looked bad, plenty well lit but just bad.

Outside well-lit is a mixed bag so far, you can tell the higher resolution sensor in the DT but that isn't really that important unless
    you are trying to print images really large, for regular internet or display on even a large TV they both have plenty.
    The DT is faster than the GS4 stock camera but only by a hair, the drag to focus then tap to shoot is superior on the DT,
    and (a major plus), the DT is able to adjust balance and such for a specified point on the screen and the GS4 cannot(which is a huge
    failing and the GS3 shared it too, don't know about the GS5) If your shot is a room with a window outside where it's bright, on the GS3/4
    you have to actually re-frame the shot to have the camera either use the light level of the window(and the room is then pitch black), or use the lower light level of the room, you can't tap where you want it to sample from). So huge win for the DT out of the gate on that score.

Honestly they both look so (relatively) crappy compared to even a couple hundred dollar or less point and shoot, it's hard to get too excited or disappointed either way.
    The DT camera works fine for a cell phone, and other than the point sample function, I'd have to say the GS4 is easier to get nice shots with at the moment, but with some effort the DT is capable of better. I might try and setup to do some comparison shots, but unless you have a well calibrated and known display, you aren't going to see what I see or anyone else see's either. Differences between the two, yes, but not a true representation.
    Further, with the lack of manual control and inconsistent nature of non-dedicated software, you can take two shots back to back and they will look like two different cameras from the same device which is super annoying trying to compare things.

Unless one is coming from a phone with a really outstanding camera I would not let any of this deter one from going with the DT.
    You'd be far better served by a small pocket point and shoot in your glovebox or backpack and having the great screen and huge battery and
    fast cpu on the DT IMO. Maybe Android L will have a better camera and/or they will update the firmware or something, part of the problem is there is very little lens/hardware and a lot of software going on with these things and that is a recipe for crappy photos.

I have high hopes the OIS helps out with low light on the Nexus 6, but it's still too big for me.
    Masheen, Postoid and Toes Up like this.
    11-06-2014 11:04 AM
    Wolf_Walker, thanks for the report.
    11-06-2014 01:00 PM
    Here's some more kindling to throw on the fire and muddy the waters. (Love mixed metaphors)

While the original Moto X suffered from some crippling camera issues out of the gate, this year’s model is routinely capable of delivering quality photos. The only real complaint that has surfaced in using the Moto X is the tendency to misfire, such that the camera focuses on the wrong thing when taking the photo and you wind up with a perfectly in focus background with a blurry foreground. This can be mostly eliminated with the focus and exposure tool in the camera app, but it’s worth pointing out that the Droid Turbo doesn’t have this problem at all. In fact, the 21MP sensor locks on to the correct focus point with surprising accuracy even without Motorola’s focus tool.

Motorola Droid Turbo really is just a super powered Moto X. Again. | Android | Geek.com
    11-06-2014 01:01 PM
    It's not enabled by default, but I really like the drag-to-focus and tap to shoot interface.
    I have so much muscle memory of tap to focus and then use a separate shutter button I keep
    doing it wrong but I'll get used to it eventually. Nice setup.
    jesta192 likes this.
    11-06-2014 01:28 PM
    It's not enabled by default, but I really like the drag-to-focus and tap to shoot interface.
    I have so much muscle memory of tap to focus and then use a separate shutter button I keep
    doing it wrong but I'll get used to it eventually. Nice setup.
    I also really like the drag-to-focus feature. It is the only feature besides toggling HDR that can give us a better shot.

I keep hearing that the software is the issue. Is this software that can only be updated through a system update, or the type of issue where we can download Camera FX or a similar app and take better pictures than the Moto Camera one.
    11-06-2014 02:09 PM
    I had the Droid razzor max for a couple years. Hated the camera except for mundane work pics. When ever I tried to get good family shots it was pitiful. Just got the Droid Turbo. NA NA naysayers, your wrong the new camera (21mp) is AWSOME ! I just did a low light pic in my attic of a painting I am doing... you be the judge.. I AM SO HAPPY WITH THIS CAMERA !
    The Droid Turbo Camera Quandry-screen-shot-2014-11-06-9.41.30-am.png
    Attached Thumbnails The Droid Turbo Camera Quandry-screen-shot-2014-11-06-6.03.51-am.png  
    11-06-2014 02:35 PM
    I also really like the drag-to-focus feature. It is the only feature besides toggling HDR that can give us a better shot.

I keep hearing that the software is the issue. Is this software that can only be updated through a system update, or the type of issue where we can download Camera FX or a similar app and take better pictures than the Moto Camera one.
    I have the paid camera FX. No change in shutter speed believe it or not...

And just for kicks some quality comparisons
    The Droid Turbo Camera Quandry-camerazoom-20141106153404682.jpgThe Droid Turbo Camera Quandry-img_20141106_153411687.jpg
    Masheen likes this.
    11-06-2014 02:39 PM
    I have the paid camera FX. No change in shutter speed believe it or not...

And just for kicks some quality comparisons
    Thanks. How would you describe the two? I see the Camera FX showing more detail on the braid of the headphone cable, but other than that, not much difference.
    11-06-2014 04:28 PM
109 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD