The Droid Turbo Camera Quandry

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
I just couldn't go with the Samsung TW again after spending time with the s3, for me it was the whole of the device, nearly stock Android, good camera, great battery, quality build, bleeding edge hardware, it's been 7 days and I am more than satisfied with it. Beautiful device.

Posted via the Android Central App

See that's the problem ....people,love to base touch wiz back in the s2 s3 days when for the most part it is fine now.....for me camera was meh ( terrible ....worse then my iPad Air 2 which has a 8 mp camera) , battery life was only on par to the note 4 even with smaller screen and bigger battery, it doesn't have a removable battery which I want since I don't like the non removable ones since you can't replace them should they fail, no micro Sd card slot and no ois in the camera which produces better pictures and specially in low light conditions where the turbo does suffer

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BlueBlazer60

Oct 8, 2014
Visit site
Note 4 is a good phone and does address some people's concerns. It is just not for me. Too big, stylus to lose, and have not idea what I would write with the stylus before I lost it. But if you like 'em big and have a need to write notes sure it will do an excellent job for you.

wolf_walker

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
you can't choose where it should focus on.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Default config is focus where you touch/capture, I didn't care for that but in the options (swype in left to right) you can enable
a mode in which one drag's the reticle to the point of the screen focus is desired at, then tap anywhere to capture.
Nice setup, works well. No idea why it's not enabled by default.

mauldinphoto

Nov 10, 2014
Visit site
I'm a professional photographer.
Past phones Note 2 and Note 3.
I've had the Turbo over a week.
Feels very well made.
Long battery life.
Fast downloads and uploads.
Screen is beautiful but not as bright as the Note for outside use so taking pictures and editing is a struggle.
And the camera..It CAN take great pictures..BUT..I'm very disappointed in it. (compared to Note 3)
-Lags in snapping the picture.
-Lacks in manual controls of ISO, exposure and white balance. These are key to controlling the outcome of an image.
-HDR is very poor.
-Panarama is HORRIBLE.
-Blurs most movement unless in bright daylight.
-Not near as sharp as the Note 3 (Note 3 could render too sharp though)..but with some editing it sharpens up nicely.
-The selective focus and exposure setting is very glitchy and really struggles even in bright indoor light..low indoor light is pointless.

So..hopefully the Lollipop will fix these issues about the camera. I don't feel I'm being picky because I've used lower quality phones that had much better camera control. This needs to be fixed.

Please let me know if you find the same issues and if there are other camera apps that can overcome these issues. I've downloaded Google Camera and Camera FV-5(bought it) and still struggle compared to Samsungs camera app.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Feels very well made.
Long battery life.
Screen is beautiful but not as bright as the Note for outside use so taking pictures and editing is a struggle.
And the camera..It CAN take great pictures..BUT..I'm very disappointed in it. (compared to Note 3)
-Lacks in manual controls of ISO, exposure and white balance. These are key to controlling the outcome of an image.
-HDR is very poor.
-Panarama is HORRIBLE.
-Not near as sharp as the Note 3 (Note 3 could render too sharp though)..but with some editing it sharpens up nicely.
-The selective focus and exposure setting is very glitchy and really struggles even in bright indoor light..low indoor light is pointless.

So..hopefully the Lollipop will fix these issues about the camera. I don't feel I'm being picky because I've used lower quality phones that had much better camera control. This needs to be fixed.

Please let me know if you find the same issues and if there are other camera apps that can overcome these issues. I've downloaded Google Camera and Camera FV-5(bought it) and still struggle compared to Samsungs camera app.
That's my point... The camera can take good pictures but only in good conditions. Low light it was a pain and any movement was blurry.

wolf_walker

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
I did some back to back low light shots last night and the Google Camera was turning out better shots than the stock camera app would on any setting as far as noise and focus when zoomed in. This was with the phone resting on a hard surface to remove movement from the equation.
The more I use it the more I think it's software problems.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
I did some back to back low light shots last night and the Google Camera was turning out better shots than the stock camera app would on any setting as far as noise and focus when zoomed in. This was with the phone resting on a hard surface to remove movement from the equation.
The more I use it the more I think it's software problems.

Well having ois would help a lot of as well which is why I prefer the note 4

BlueBlazer60

Oct 8, 2014
Visit site
Feels very well made.
Long battery life.
-HDR is very poor.
-Panarama is HORRIBLE.

Pretty much sums up the camera experience. Motorola has never been known for having strong camera. A part of the reason is staying close to pure Android. Lollipop will be the first time the base Android Camera API will allow access to manual controls. It could be a lot better. I am surprised a professional photographer selected this phone. Camera issues have been a continuing issue with Motorola devices. Moto X (2014) has some of the same camera issues.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Pretty much sums up the camera experience. Motorola has never been known for having strong camera. A part of the reason is staying close to pure Android. Lollipop will be the first time the base Android Camera API will allow access to manual controls. It could be a lot better. I am surprised a professional photographer selected this phone. Camera issues have been a continuing issue with Motorola devices. Moto X (2014) has some of the same camera issues.
I don't think lollipop will fix the turbo's issues though to make a great camera

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Here's another review that found the camera to be quite good. This is GSM Arena, a site that I find to be especially credible since they run rigorous tests and seem to be fairly objective. They have a camera compare tool, which I find to be quite useful. I've already emailed them and asked them to add the Droid Turbo to their compare tool. They have tested scores of cameras so when they say the Droid Turbo is a very good shooter, I believe them. Camera Compare Tool found here: Photo Compare Tool - GSMArena.com
-----

The Motorola Droid Turbo captures some really nice images. Image processing is not as mature as we would have liked, but there is plenty of detail in all shots. It's hard to compare it directly to the Sony smartphones that presumably make use of the same 20MP lens, but we're quite happy with the shots the Droid Turbo produces just as it is. We doubt it's much better than the current high-end crop of 16MP cameraphones, but it's still on par with them if not better.

The camera of the smartphone doesn't disappoint either. It isn't quite the best we have tested, but it isn't far off the top either - you will not be disappointed by the images and the videos you have captured with it.

Motorola Droid Turbo review: Power robot - page 8 - GSMArena.com

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Take a look at the amazing detail in the shots taken from the GSM Arena review. Hover your mouse over the images and look around.

In this shot look at the bas-relief artwork above the arch of the Astoria Plaza New York Sports club. Or check out the individual bricks on the brick wall above the Coors Light truck. Check out the sign the guy in front of the pharmacy entrance is holding-- "One Hour Photo". Or look at the individual light elements in the traffic light. Astonishing.

Camera Sample - GSMArena.com

In this shot, check out the inscription above the Doric columns on the building. Obviously that building houses a post office (yes, I see where it says US Post Office). The sculpted art fringing the top of the building. Or read the license plate on the white van. Look at the grey sign atop the Toyota Camry taxi cab--"Amazing is Getting a Second Chance at Life". Yes, I checked the windows of the building in the background for people, didn't see any, but if there had been any I could have seen them. Incredible detail.

BlueBlazer60

Oct 8, 2014
Visit site
Take a look at the amazing detail in the shots taken from the GSM Arena review. Hover your mouse over the images and look around.

In this shot look at the bas-relief artwork above the arch of the Astoria Plaza New York Sports club. Or check out the individual bricks on the brick wall above the Coors Light truck. Check out the sign the guy in front of the pharmacy entrance is holding-- "One Hour Photo". Or look at the individual light elements in the traffic light. Astonishing.

In this shot, check out the inscription above the Doric columns on the building. Obviously that building houses a post office (yes, I see where it says US Post Office). The sculpted art fringing the top of the building. Or read the license plate on the white van. Look at the grey sign atop the Toyota Camry taxi cab--"Amazing is Getting a Second Chance at Life". Yes, I checked the windows of the building in the background for people, didn't see any, but if there had been any I could have seen them. Incredible detail.

I agree with you. These sample pictures show the Turbo camera at its best. There have been very few, if any, comments concerning poor quality of static scenes in good light conditions.

The negative comments about camera quality have primarily have been related to shots that can challenge any camera - low light and/or action shots. The Turbo fails to address the challenge as well as many other phone cameras. One contributing factor might be the lag between when you trigger the shutter and when the shutter actually processes. However my guess would be it is more due to using a slower shutter speed to capture the picture in low light. Unfortunately with the camera app is not way to control the relationship between aperture and shutter speed. If you look at the EXIF values on your pictures you can find what these values were for your shots. The range of values is not even close to values from a good point and shoot camera.

BlueBlazer60

Oct 8, 2014
Visit site
I don't think lollipop will fix the turbo's issues though to make a great camera

Never even might to imply movement to anywhere near great.

I have never seen and don't expect to see in my life time a cell phone camera that I would classify as great. Too much of a serious amateur photographer with too much SLR and DLR experience. Not even sure I would say any phone camera comes close to a good mid range and better point and shoot camera. I tend to have both the phone and a small [pocket size] point and shoot with me most of the time. (I knew they invented cargo pants for a reason. :) )

If the phone camera works for you, GREAT. You end up with more money in your pocket than folks like me. One phone camera, two film cameras, and three digital cameras [that i use].

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Never even might to imply movement to anywhere near great.

I have never seen and don't expect to see in my life time a cell phone camera that I would classify as great. Too much of a serious amateur photographer with too much SLR and DLR experience. Not even sure I would say any phone camera comes close to a good mid range and better point and shoot camera. I tend to have both the phone and a small [pocket size] point and shoot with me most of the time. (I knew they invented cargo pants for a reason. :) )

If the phone camera works for you, GREAT. You end up with more money in your pocket than folks like me. One phone camera, two film cameras, and three digital cameras [that i use].

I mean great relative to a camera phone

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I agree with you. These sample pictures show the Turbo camera at its best. There have been very few, if any, comments concerning poor quality of static scenes in good light conditions.

There are vehicles moving in the shot with the Post Office. There is a guy walking in the shot of the pharmacy/street scene.

The negative comments about camera quality have primarily have been related to shots that can challenge any camera - low light and/or action shots. The Turbo fails to address the challenge as well as many other phone cameras.

There are low light shots at the link I provided.

One contributing factor might be the lag between when you trigger the shutter and when the shutter actually processes. However my guess would be it is more due to using a slower shutter speed to capture the picture in low light. Unfortunately with the camera app is not way to control the relationship between aperture and shutter speed. If you look at the EXIF values on your pictures you can find what these values were for your shots. The range of values is not even close to values from a good point and shoot camera.

Ability to control aperture and shutter speed will be available with Lollipop. I think this can be done currently with a 3rd party app.

Last edited:

Richard R1

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site
I've had many phones and I have to admit this is the worst camera I've ever had. Does it have the ability to take great pics? Yes, but more often than not, even my static pics come out blurry. Plus, the image that freezes on your display when you take a pic, isn't the image that you exposed. There is a delay. I don't mind delay prior to exposure, but after you hear shutter noise and the animation shows the pic move off to the right, and yet the turbo is actually still exposing. That's beyond lag. My LG G2 wasn't the best, but it was consistent. I've lost too many moments because my turbo's camera has nothing in common with what the name implies.

jamielov

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
Yup. Everyday I am more and more surprised just how poor this camera is. Its basically a 50/50 shot if a pic will be a blurry mess or useable. More concerning is Motorola replied to my bringing up this issue and basically said there is no problem that is how it should be. I love this phone, I truly do. But for the first time ever I'm debating selling it, or trading it for store credit. I don't want a pro spec dslr camera, but i do want a useable one.

mimsiesboy

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Yup. Everyday I am more and more surprised just how poor this camera is. Its basically a 50/50 shot if a pic will be a blurry mess or useable. More concerning is Motorola replied to my bringing up this issue and basically said there is no problem that is how it should be. I love this phone, I truly do. But for the first time ever I'm debating selling it, or trading it for store credit. I don't want a pro spec dslr camera, but i do want a useable one.

Hey not trying to disrespect but have you ever taken a class in photography? I find my turbo does pretty well for my carry on.

Posted via the Android Central App

jesta192

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
It's ironic but I seem to be able to take great shots with this camera. Occasionally I get blur, but by habit I always keep the phone steady for a few extra moments after the shot. This usually works fine. I have not, however, attempted to take many in-motion shots, so I'm not sure how that does.

mmohn01

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
My only 2 issues are taking low light pictures with bright lights in the background, and if the object it's moving the picture is just a blur. It seems to have a tough time focusing. For instance, taking a picture in low light of my daughter in front of the Christmas tree. It's all out of focus. This is a picture I took at the Garth Brooks concert last night. I tried to get a decent photo of Trisha Yearwood. The second photo is one of the same stage with the lights on.

Attachments

• 1417792833768.jpg
    1417792833768.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 25
  • 1417792986248.jpg
    1417792986248.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 30