The Droid Turbo Camera Quandry

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Reading the reviews on the web, looking at sample photos, and reading the forums it seems clear that there is a disagreement as to the quality of the camera on the Droid Turbo. For example, some report good to excellent photos, even in low light conditions. Some report OK photos in low light conditions. Some say there is a delay between the time the shutter is pressed and others say there is not. Some say the latest software update helped their camera, others say it made no difference. Almost everyone says the camera is better than past Moto offerings.

So what's going on? Have some customers received cameras that are inferior to others cameras? Or are some customers predisposed to like the camera while others are predisposed to think it is lousy?

It's important to me because my contract is up at the end of the month and I'm looking for a replacement phone for my Maxx HD. I loved everything about the Maxx HD except the camera. I don't want to get another phone with a sub-standard camera. I'll probably get the Droid Turbo but if I don't get the unicorn tears version, I'll need to return it.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Here's an example I just found:

Around back, Motorola’s new Droid Turbo features a 21-megapixel camera that, for me, was the most surprising thing about the device. Motorola’s phones have historically not even approached class leaders when it comes to camera quality, but the camera on the Droid Turbo is fantastic.

The camera touts an f/2.0 aperture and a dual-LED flash, and photos captured by the Droid Turbo are vivid and crisp. In fact, they are almost on par with the iPhone 6 Plus and Galaxy Note 4, which are the best camera phones on the market in my opinion.

Motorola Droid Turbo Review: An in-depth review of the Droid Turbo | BGR

BlueBlazer60

Oct 8, 2014
Visit site
According to published reports the entire camera situation will change with the release of Lollipop. So a lot of the issues discussed to this point might not be relevant. Find an article and review the changes coming.

IMHO, a significant problem is the different level of expectations of the user. From the examples posted, I believe the camera as it exists would serve my needs. It is certainly better than my current phone camera. Most of my photography is done with one of my four camera cameras. The phone camera is used quick shots for which I don't expect the highest quality.

On the other hand, individuals who use the camera as their only or primary camera are probably not going to be as welling to say the camera is acceptable to them. Especially if they shoot action scenes.

But as I said in my opening comments, Android L is a very different set of camera related software. Hopefully by the time you are ready to make your decision enough results from Turbos on Lollipop will be available to help you. Even though the reported changes in the software read very good, we can only wait and see if the installed result is going to jump us ahead of the "happy unicorn tears" version. Not sure but I think "happy unicorn tears" version was a very limited edition.

mimsiesboy

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Hi, I don't get the argument, it's a great camera, best on any phone I have ever had. Go to Verizon, snap some pix in the store, try an iPhone, try a Sony, a note 4,they are all very good. Just a thought.

Posted via the Android Central App

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
According to published reports the entire camera situation will change with the release of Lollipop. So a lot of the issues discussed to this point might not be relevant. Find an article and review the changes coming.

Here:
The Android L will let you take, process pictures like a pro : PERSONAL TECH : Tech Times

Android "L" Feature Spotlight: New Camera API Enables Burst Mode, Thorough Control Over Photos, And Much More

As I understand it, this update to the camera, via Lollipop, will allow for added functionality and features. However, (correct me if I'm wrong) it also means that Moto or Google or some other app developer will need to update their camera app so as to be able to access these improvements. In other words, when I get Lollipop on my new Droid Turbo, my camera will not instantly turn into a new beast.

IMHO, a significant problem is the different level of expectations of the user. From the examples posted, I believe the camera as it exists would serve my needs. It is certainly better than my current phone camera. Most of my photography is done with one of my four camera cameras. The phone camera is used quick shots for which I don't expect the highest quality.

On the other hand, individuals who use the camera as their only or primary camera are probably not going to be as welling to say the camera is acceptable to them. Especially if they shoot action scenes.

Yes, I understand this. My expectations are that when I shoot a picture in good lighting it will come out clear and detailed and there will be no need to take another shot. It won't be blurry and require a re-shoot. Same thing with flash. If I'm taking a picture of something that is not more than 8-10 feet away using the flash, it had better be clear, and sufficiently lit up, the flash coordinated with the shutter. Too many times my Maxx HD would fail these simple tasks. I don't expect my camera phone to capture good action scenes unless I'm in bright sunlight and close to the action. Even then, I would not expect great results.

But as I said in my opening comments, Android L is a very different set of camera related software. Hopefully by the time you are ready to make your decision enough results from Turbos on Lollipop will be available to help you. Even though the reported changes in the software read very good, we can only wait and see if the installed result is going to jump us ahead of the "happy unicorn tears" version. Not sure but I think "happy unicorn tears" version was a very limited edition.

Yes, I think you need to show your Motorola Droid Fanboy Club Membership Card to the sales rep at Verizon. They will then take out the Unicorn Tears version from behind the counter, remove the plain paper wrapper and sell it to you.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Hi, I don't get the argument, it's a great camera, best on any phone I have ever had.

That's great. Others are not so happy. The disparity between people's reports is the point of my OP.

Go to Verizon, snap some pix in the store, try an iPhone, try a Sony, a note 4,they are all very good. Just a thought.

I did that last week and I thought it was a decent camera. But it's hard to thoroughly test it inside the store.

anon(1733)

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
On mine there is a slight pause while the phone takes photos but nothing major it does however takes great photos. I have had no issues with them. I am far from a photographer though but for what I do with it it is more than acceptable.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
On mine there is a slight pause while the phone takes photos but nothing major it does however takes great photos. I have had no issues with them. I am far from a photographer though but for what I do with it it is more than acceptable.

Does this "slight pause" vary with the lighting conditions? That is, if there is bright sunlight there is an almost instantaneous shot, but if there is low light and you are not using the flash there is a delay?

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
Because of the shutter lag I would say the turbo is one of the worst camera phones I've ever used (s3, note 2 and 3,nexus 5, 2013 x, 2014 x to name the most recent ones). I cannot take the phone out of my pocket and snap a photo inside (even in the middle of the day with blinds open and every light turned on) that isn't blurry if the subject is moving in the slightest.

If I did more outdoor shots, or still shots, it'd be fine.

The only way I've been able to get rid of the blur from the lag is to take a series of photos by holding my finger down. As long as the camera doesn't need to refocus (ie nothing is moving toward or away from you) this seems to take a faster/less blurred photo.

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
This is every indoor photo for me.

aea35706a4e2dbad67c1fe3b5cba7b0b.jpg

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
One last comment on this. The shutter in the below photo was pressed at the exact same time on my droid turbo and my 2014 moto x.

Neither one belongs in a magazine, but my dog was able to sit up before the photo was taken on the turbo.

I'm really hoping android L resolves this.

/edit - HDR off on both cameras, and before i pressed the shutter on either i let both phones pre-focus on the dog.

Untitled.jpg

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
One last comment on this. The shutter in the below photo was pressed at the exact same time on my droid turbo and my 2014 moto x.

Neither one belongs in a magazine, but my dog was able to sit up before the photo was taken on the turbo.

I'm really hoping android L resolves this.

That is interesting...

Firedogee

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
I'll probably get the Droid Turbo but if I don't get the unicorn tears version, I'll need to return it.

I'll put a good word in for you at the next Unicorn Alliance meeting.

PS. I think the wide variety of personal results is caused by the extreme variation in personal expectations. Unreasonable Expectations = A resentment waiting to happen. Which would explains all the loving/hating on these threads.

Sent Turbo-fast from my bulletproof 64GB Droid Turbo

Firedogee

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site

Just saw this after I already replied to OP. Agree on both counts! I think you nailed it very eloquently BB!

PS. The Unicorn Tears version will appear magically and immediately for any Turbo owner that finally chooses to have realistic expectations, patience, and a positive attitude. This guarantee comes with a complimentary sparkly rainbow and lifetime supply of glitter.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
PS. I think the wide variety of personal results is caused by the extreme variation in personal expectations. Unreasonable Expectations = A resentment waiting to happen. Which would explains all the loving/hating on these threads.

No, I think if a person has had a variety of phones and they have all taken shots that weren't blurry, that is a reasonable expectation that their next phone will perform similarly. Then they get the Droid Turbo and virtually every shot is blurry, or the shutter lags, that is an unreasonable expectation and a phone not performing adequately.

Firedogee

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
No, I think if a person has had a variety of phones and they have all taken shots that weren't blurry, that is a reasonable expectation. Then they get the Droid Turbo and virtually every shot is blurry, or the shutter lags, that is an unreasonable expectation and a phone not performing adequately.

Maybe, but there are so many people that ARE happy with how the camera/phone performs. Including expert reviewers.

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
Maybe, but there are so many people that ARE happy with how the camera/phone performs. Including expert reviewers.

It seems like the expert reviewers take still shots, which is great if you want to pick apart things I don't really see and don't have a strong opinion on.

I want a reviewer to build a handheld mount that will hold and fire off 6 phones at once and follow their kid around the house with all of the lights on and windows open. My turbo falls flat on its face in that scenario while my other phones haven't been great either, but have been at least usable.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze