Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo any solutions to the phone not being mhl capable?

beeztrain

Nov 5, 2014
Visit site
I used that feature a lot. I still have 10 days that return the phone but would really like to avoid the restocking fee.

Posted via the Android Central App

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Re: any solutions to the phone not being mhl capable?

There really is no solution for your problem because MHL/HDMI output is purely a hardware issue. So, if it's not MHL compatible out of the box, it never will be.

You do have software alternatives, though. You can mirror your phone via WiFi to a Smart TV or using an HDMI dongle like Google Chromecast.

Last edited:

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

Sorry to tell you but the specs for this phone don't list MHL as supported. So even if you get the cable, it won't work.

Jeff Hager

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site

Couldn't you just cast the phone's screen to the Chromecast? Doesn't matter if the app supports Chromecast or not...the whole display is duplicated on the TV. I use this all the time with my Nexus 10 and it works great. I still have a Razr Maxx, and I know that phone isn't compatible, but I would assume that newer phones would work. Am I wrong and it's only nexus devices that support this? I have an HDMI port and a cable for my phone and tablet, but I rarely use it now. I just cast the screen to Chromecast.

Jeff Hager

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site

Can you cast your screen to a Chromecast without WiFi though?

That is honestly something I have wanted to try, but I haven't yet. Maybe I will give it a shot tonight. I believe the Chromecast has to have a wifi connection to a router or hotspot (as far as I know, ad-hoc will not work). The thing I haven't tried yet is to set up a small portable router that is not connected to the internet. Connect the Chromecast and my phone to it. Then see if I can cast my screen from my phone to the Chromecast. I think it would work, but the phone would be trying to connect to the internet via a wifi connection that has no internet connection. Ideally, I could use cellular for internet and wifi for casting at the same time. Using the phone as a hotspot would definitely solve that problem though. I have done that many times to stream TV from my cable at home to my camper TV along with the various TV apps (WatchESPN, HBOGo, HistoryChannel, etc.) that my cable provider gives me. That's the one downside to the Chromecast vs. Mirracast. I'll see what I can figure out.

beeztrain

Nov 5, 2014
Visit site

Thanks for all the replies! If my netgear push2tv solution doesn't work or doesn't work well I will try miracast or Chromecast. The cable isn't a big deal. It only cost $2.99 on sale. Probably because all their new phones don't support it!

Posted via the Android Central App

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

Chromecast is NOT Miracast. What does this mean? Chromecast works on its own, while Miracast is just a mirror of some other device. Why is this important? Well, because that means once you start 'chromecasting', the streaming is actually being handled by the Chromecast, NOT your device. You can use your device for whatever else you need while still be streaming on your TV. That's why not all apps are Chromecast compatible unless you have a third party app that takes the content, sends it to a server, and then sends it to the Chromecast. Miracast (or S-Share or Link or whatever Samsung is calling it these days) is a direct link from the device to the TV, which means there are no intermediate servers or apps, just a direct link and why it can work via WiFi Direct (sans router) and the Chromecast can't.

Jeff Hager

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site

So here is what I've found out so far with my Chromecast.

Yes, I can connect my Nexus 10 and Chromecast to a wifi router that does not have an internet connection.
Yes, I can cast my screen to the Chromecast. (Just like Miracast mirrors the screen of the device)
However, I can not do much of anything that requires the internet. Local media on my tablet would stream just fine.

I cannot test with my phone (and thus with a cellular connection) because it is a Razr Maxx and does not support screen casting. (I am on this forum because I plan to upgrade to the Turbo soon. Just waiting on all of you guys to soak test it for me :p )

As for the Greenbot article, It is my understanding that the Chromecast would have to be on some sort of internet connection to allow users, not on the same wifi, to connect to it. I kind of doubt any sort of screen casting would be allowed in that situation. I could be way wrong. We'll have to wait and see.

I've been trying to figure out the exact same situation that you are because my girlfriend is in the same boat. She will be getting her dad's old chromecast because he doesn't use it. Problem is, she doesn't have internet other than what's on her S5. Who would have thought that she doesn't have internet when her dad is an IBM'er and huge into technology.

Seem like the miracast would be your best bet, but I have never heard great things about it. Haven't tried it either.

Brittany727

Feb 5, 2015
Visit site
Hey, can you tell me how you made out with that micro usb to hdmi wire, did it work for you? I am having a similar issue myself....I have the Alcatel One Touch Fierce 2, and I'm pretty sure it is not mhl compatible. So I don't know what to do now?? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol