Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo 95% of what I was hoping for, not ready to be my daily driver

anon(19759)

Trusted Member
Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
Just can't deal with the low volume in the earpiece on calls. 3000+ minutes per month on calls and can't constantly be struggling with trying to hear the other party. Weak wifi was bad too. Also, I knew voice+data wasn't possible yet, but didn't realize how much I would miss having that capability. Oh well - the hardware is fantastic. Really love the design, feel, nylon back, front facing speaker. Unlike some other buyers, I thought the camera was pretty good too. Even the screen seemed good enough to me in the bright sun today.

Oh well, I was really hoping this phone would be my new device. I'll have to keep an eye on this forum to see when these bugs get worked out and maybe give it another shot at some point.

heyeaglefn

Sep 5, 2014
Visit site
Re: 95% of what I was hoping for, not ready to be my daily driver

Volume is very low, not sure if they can fix that or not but it is much lower than from Maxx.

markymark

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site

I hear you. Very disappointed to hear these things...I was looking forward to the Turbo for months as an upgrade to my RMHD and it seems with all the bells and whistles Moto is coming up with these days, they overlooked some of the basic functionality of the phone. Poor call volume, iffy signal quality, problems with nylon backing unraveling, no voice & data. Right now I'm leaning toward the HTC One M8. I know it's been out for 6 months already but from what I am reading the build quality is fantastic, it has an SD card slot which is a plus, the best sounding front stereo speakers, great call quality, great signal quality, can do voice & data. Plus IR sensor.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site

Oh well, I was really hoping this phone would be my new device. I'll have to keep an eye on this forum to see when these bugs get worked out and maybe give it another shot at some point.

So, what are you going to try next?

flybub

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Just can't deal with the low volume in the earpiece on calls. 3000+ minutes per month on calls and can't constantly be struggling with trying to hear the other party. Weak wifi was bad too. Also, I knew voice+data wasn't possible yet, but didn't realize how much I would miss having that capability. Oh well - the hardware is fantastic. Really love the design, feel, nylon back, front facing speaker. Unlike some other buyers, I thought the camera was pretty good too. Even the screen seemed good enough to me in the bright sun today.

I had my hopes up for this device also. I have not personally used it so I'm going to hold on the judgement but from what I've read here it doesn't sound like the phone I wanted it to be. I love motos software but the earpiece volume really bothers me because I spend a good amount of time on the phone. My og moto x struggles with WiFi signal and was in hopes these new phones would take care of that but I guess they didn't. I'll wait for the nexus 6 and see how it performs.

As dumb as it sounds I'm running out of phones to choose from, lol. M8 will be replaced in 5-6 months if not sooner, I've had my share of TW so the s5 of Note 4 are out, and moto x has less than stellar battery life. Only phone I have not looked is the g3. After TouchWiz and using the moto x I would really like to stay as close to stock as possible.

Posted via Android Central App

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site

Did you try turning off the equalizer in the sound settings? Makes the ear piece volume much more reasonable.

anon(19759)

Trusted Member
Apr 30, 2010
Visit site

Did you try turning off the equalizer in the sound settings? Makes the ear piece volume much more reasonable.

I did -I tried every suggestion I could find. Equalizer, voice privacy setting, moving it all around to find a direct firing closest to my ear canal.

anon(19759)

Trusted Member
Apr 30, 2010
Visit site

So, what are you going to try next?

Back to my previous daily driver. Doesn't seem to be much on the horizon the rest of this year on Verizon, so I'll just hold on to my Q10 and enjoy not having any payments for a while. Yeah, I know, Q10, go ahead......

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site

Back to my previous daily driver. Doesn't seem to be much on the horizon the rest of this year on Verizon, so I'll just hold on to my Q10 and enjoy not having any payments for a while. Yeah, I know, Q10, go ahead......

Why not get a nexus 6 ?

Furt

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site

Was I given the perfect phone for not having any issues with calls? I actually keep the volume lower than max.....

Posted via the Android Central App

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site

Way too big. This 5.2 on the Turbo is about the biggest device I can use one-handed. And that's a bit of a stretch for me.

Ah yeah its quite big but I love big phones myself and find this a bit to small lol. Returning it myself because I find the speaker is tinny, uses half the speaker apparently and the camera is sub par specially when you come from a note 4 which has ois. I had other Samsung devices with no ois but I found DIS ( digital image stabilization) much better on those then this phone . slight movement makes it blurry and the quality isn't that good even if its perfect as in no movement

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site

Man, some people in this forum are really picky.

Too bad the Turbo isn't powered by the sound of a unicorn and sunshine. That's a deal breaker for me.

/sarcasm

Posted via the blazing fast Motorola Droid Turbo (64 GB).

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site

Man, some people in this forum are really picky.

Too bad the Turbo isn't powered by the sound of a unicorn and sunshine. That's a deal breaker for me.

/sarcasm

Well if your going to have this phone for 24 months why shouldn't you? If you paying full price as well...

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site

Well if your going to have this phone for 24 months why shouldn't you? If you paying full price as well...

I paid full retail for this phone and I find there's nothing wrong with it. While I agree that the volume of phone calls is lower than average, it's not unacceptable and it works just fine.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site

I paid full retail for this phone and I find there's nothing wrong with it. While I agree that the volume of phone calls is lower than average, it's not unacceptable and it works just fine.

Your sidestepping here now. If a person paid full price be it edge or full outright or stuck to a 2 year contract why should somebody live with a phone they think is not good. I like this phone but the tinny sound and bad camera is why I am returning it because I don't want to deal with a bad camera for about 20 months

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site

Your sidestepping here now. If a person paid full price be it edge or full outright or stuck to a 2 year contract why should somebody live with a phone they think is not good. I like this phone but the tinny sound and bad camera is why I am returning it because I don't want to deal with a bad camera for about 20 months

What would you replace it with?

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site

What would you replace it with?

Personally if I know the nexus 6 is at a Verizon store around the 12th I would go with that but I liked the note 4 and slap on the Google now launcher and was perfect with it. This is solely my personal opinion of what phone I like and my opinion of speaker and camera on this phone (turbo). some people might not care or think it's great to them and if so that is great because otherwise I think this is a great phone

JJ Jones

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site

I'm sure it won't take long for someone to find a way to root the Turbo. Once that happens, there are many ways to crank the volume up to your liking.

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site

Personally if I know the nexus 6 is at a Verizon store around the 12th I would go with that but I liked the note 4 and slap on the Google now launcher and was perfect with it. This is solely my personal opinion of what phone I like and my opinion of speaker and camera on this phone (turbo). some people might not care or think it's great to them and if so that is great because otherwise I think this is a great phone

Interesting. I did the opposite of you. Note 4 to the turbo

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seniorengineerdood