11-09-2014 06:44 AM
76 1234
tools
    Well as I tried the DT in the store and compared with other phones (HTC M8, GS5, Sony Z3) and there was a considerable difference in the phone call volume between all those phones and the DT. The others had volume to spare while the DT had the setting fixed and turned up to the max volume and was barely usable. If it is my hearing then why did the other phones sound so much better?
    11-06-2014 11:00 AM
    Your sidestepping here now. If a person paid full price be it edge or full outright or stuck to a 2 year contract why should somebody live with a phone they think is not good. I like this phone but the tinny sound and bad camera is why I am returning it because I don't want to deal with a bad camera for about 20 months
    I don't know what phone you're using but the camera on the Turbo isn't bad at all.

Posted via the blazing fast Motorola Droid Turbo (64 GB).
    11-06-2014 11:03 AM
    Well as I tried the DT in the store and compared with other phones (HTC M8, GS5, Sony Z3) and there was a considerable difference in the phone call volume between all those phones and the DT. The others had volume to spare while the DT had the setting fixed and turned up to the max volume and was barely usable. If it is my hearing then why did the other phones sound so much better?
    It's not your hearing, it is a defect. It works fine if you put your ear only up to the right speaker, but that is an awkward angle for most people to hold the phone at.
    11-06-2014 11:04 AM
    I must admit i am thoroughly frustrated! Over the summer I was looking to replace my HTC Rezound (great phone in its day but its day has passed) and was checking out the Moto X (orig). The sales rep advised me to wait for the new Moto X that was coming so I did. The Moto X 2014 is a nice phone but I found the battery capacity and memory options (no sd card slot) very discouraging. So then I waited for the Turbo Droid. OK, the specs are great but as noted in many threads here, there are several issues with this phone.
    As I do not have an upgrade available so I will have to pay full price. Even the $100 trade in is not applicable(I tried).
    So I went to a Verizon store and tried the phone. Yes the call volume is very low. Applied the remove voice privacy fix and it did improve but still not great. I really wanted this phone but now I can't seem to get myself to buy it. I tried the GalaxyS5, HTC M8 and Remix, Sony Z3 and well - I did not fall in love with any of them. Now what? The Note 4 and coming Nexus 6 are too big for my taste.
    I really need a new phone but nothing appeals to me. Any suggestions?
    I was thinking of maybe getting a refurbished GS5 to hold me until my next upgrade 6/2016? Open to any suggestions.
    I'm in the same boat, contact is up in a couple weeks, was all set to get the Turbo until some of these reports started coming in. I am leaning towards HTC M8. Also looking at the Remix. Just curious, what did you not like about the M8? The only negative I see is the size of the phone is a little big relative to screen size. The front speakers take up a good amount of space, plus the bezel could be smaller. Other than that I can't find any negatives with the M8. To me, it has many pluses over the Turbo...much better sound, sd card slot, ir blaster, supports voice & data. Plus it has the old fashioned LED notification which I prefer over the Moto active notifications. Don't need my phone screen pulsing on and off all the time. Also it's not as heavy as the Turbo. On the minus side obviously the M8 has a smaller battery. But from what I have read it will easily get you through a day. Plus if you are buying the phone outright, the M8 is cheaper I believe.
    11-06-2014 11:07 AM
    I'm in the same boat, contact is up in a couple weeks, was all set to get the Turbo until some of these reports started coming in. I am leaning towards HTC M8. Also looking at the Remix. Just curious, what did you not like about the M8? The only negative I see is the size of the phone is a little big relative to screen size. The front speakers take up a good amount of space, plus the bezel could be smaller. Other than that I can't find any negatives with the M8. To me, it has many pluses over the Turbo...much better sound, sd card slot, ir blaster, supports voice & data. Plus it has the old fashioned LED notification which I prefer over the Moto active notifications. Don't need my phone screen pulsing on and off all the time. Also it's not as heavy as the Turbo. On the minus side obviously the M8 has a smaller battery. But from what I have read it will easily get you through a day. Plus if you are buying the phone outright, the M8 is cheaper I believe.
    I agree with everything you say and I may end up with the M8 or Remix - the only negative besides the size of the non-replaceable battery is the fact that it will probably be upgraded to a M9 this spring and I would hate to pay $600 now for a phone that will be discounted in a few months when the M9 comes out. Maybe a used (Certified) M8 would satisfy me. I don't know - I rather have a new phone. For now I think I will just wait. Maybe come Thanksgiving/Christmas Verizoin will have a deal I can live with for one of these phones.
    11-06-2014 11:17 AM
    The sound being low, as well as the use of the right ear speaker only, are things that can be fixed with a OTA system update (a previous phone I own suffered from the same volume issue, which was improved with an update). Personally, I agree that it isn't AS loud as it could be, but the level it is at now isn't unacceptable. Also, the only way you'd notice the right speaker issue is if you had your ear over the left speaker, which is a more awkward position IMO. Even in the center, the sound isn't that bad.

Camera, that's a matter of opinion. Obviously an iPhone will have a better camera, and maybe even a Samsung (though the Turbo camera seems to be more on-par with the Samsung cameras). As you are coming from using both phones, per your signature, that is probably why you don't like the Turbo's camera.
    11-06-2014 12:56 PM
    The sound being low, as well as the use of the right ear speaker only, are things that can be fixed with a OTA system update (a previous phone I own suffered from the same volume issue, which was improved with an update). Personally, I agree that it isn't AS loud as it could be, but the level it is at now isn't unacceptable. Also, the only way you'd notice the right speaker issue is if you had your ear over the left speaker, which is a more awkward position IMO. Even in the center, the sound isn't that bad.

Camera, that's a matter of opinion. Obviously an iPhone will have a better camera, and maybe even a Samsung (though the Turbo camera seems to be more on-par with the Samsung cameras). As you are coming from using both phones, per your signature, that is probably why you don't like the Turbo's camera.
    I must admit the sales reps in the store I was in were not very helpful - they did not care if I bought a phone or not (VZW store in Manhattan). I do plan to check the DT more in one of the stores out where I live and give the DT another chance. The specs are great I just fear getting a $600 lemon. I can be convinced. We will see.
    Thanks all for your remarks.
    11-06-2014 01:33 PM
    Volume isn't bad on mine fwiw. It has a fuller sound calling myself vi my HD voip line at work compared to the GS4.
    I don't have cell access on the GS4 anymore or I'd put a dB meter on it and see.
    People here different frequencies at different levels, for example I have a big drop in sensitivity in my right ear
    at around 1Khz, using headphones I'll often hear certain vocals off to one side a bit, but everything else is equal so I can't just turn the balance control to
    center the vocals, it takes more involved per-channel EQ use to get things sounding "normal".
    So volume is highly dependant and subjective. But I can say with moderate surety as a sometimes-audiophile that is more
    aware of the faults in his hearing than most that it isn't objectionably low on my DT.
    Everyone should get a hearing test every few years, just to know if they are hearing something truly odd or if it's an effect of
    deficient hearing ability.

I wouldn't be surprised if the voice speaker and the regular speaker are one in the same either, low volume on digital
    devices, within reason, is almost always software. If they get enough complaints they might bump it up, or if we get root
    access there are ways to increase it ones own self as well. None of that helps right now if you can't hear the thing of course but
    it's there.
    marrzie and dungoyle like this.
    11-06-2014 01:39 PM
    I really think it's in the way we hold the phone. I too have found that I needed to shift the top of the phone a bit to get get the speaker to lineup with my ear canal. Honestly, I've had to do this with just about every phone I've ever owned.
    dungoyle likes this.
    11-06-2014 01:41 PM
    I have the M8 and it has this exact same issue and it drives me crazy. I have to put my ear right next to the speaker to hear the other person and even then it's not that loud.

Posted via the Android Central App
    11-06-2014 01:45 PM
    I really think it's in the way we hold the phone. I too have found that I needed to shift the top of the phone a bit to get get the speaker to lineup with my ear canal. Honestly, I've had to do this with just about every phone I've ever owned.
    You don't have to do it with the Maxx.
    Codger1212 likes this.
    11-06-2014 02:12 PM
    I don't know what phone you're using but the camera on the Turbo isn't bad at all.

Posted via the blazing fast Motorola Droid Turbo (64 GB).
    I was using the droid turbo.... Motorola is known to had pretty bad cameras and the turbo follows...
    11-06-2014 02:13 PM

Doesn't how you have the phone depend on which ear you are using? Or are you suggesting it would be an awkward position no matter what ear you use?
    11-06-2014 02:14 PM
    Interesting. I did the opposite of you. Note 4 to the turbo

Posted via the Android Central App
    What made you dislike the Note 4? I am trying to decide between the N4 and Turbo and leaning on the Note 4 after reading around on the forums here.
    11-06-2014 03:52 PM
    Certainly could be, all speakers, even tiny one's, radiate different frequencies in a slightly different pattern, and everyone's ear is physically different inside.
    I moved mine around a bit and heard less difference than I have with some devices, but that's just one mans ear so to speak.
    11-06-2014 04:27 PM
    What made you dislike the Note 4? I am trying to decide between the N4 and Turbo and leaning on the Note 4 after reading around on the forums here.
    There's plenty of reasons to like or hate both. Me personally don't like the camera and Tinny speakers of the turbo and some might hate (or just hate because it's cool) on touchwiz and the screen size. Personally I say go down to bestbuy and try out the note 4 and if they have the turbo out

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    11-06-2014 05:38 PM
    Addition. Called my Father this evening who was on a cell in an airport on the opposite coast.
    While it was still perfectly OK, the volume in the earpiece was maxed out where I'd prefer it to be
    a notch or two below. Test calling to my aforementioned HD Voice VOIP "landline" it was much louder.
    It's possible the VoLTE will change all this.
    Also, volume through bluetooth earpiece was fine, as was speakerphone.
    11-06-2014 07:32 PM
    This is the conclusion to the "Speaker Issue" http://forums.androidcentral.com/sho...d.php?t=458645

That being said, 95% seems more than adequate to make it a DD. I never expect anything to 100% suit my needs because that's unrealistic thinking.
    11-06-2014 09:33 PM
    This is the conclusion to the "Speaker Issue" Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Top right speaker... - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

That being said, 95% seems more than adequate to make it a DD. I never expect anything to 100% suit my needs because that's unrealistic thinking.
    But if that 5% is something most necessary such as adequate call volume, then it's a deal breaker unless call volume doesn't matter to you. For the OP, call volume is a priority. I don't care what bells and whistles a device has, if I have to struggle to hear callers constantly. That's a definite deal breaker. I won't compromise on what is one of the very most essential features of a PHONE; call volume/quality.
    linebusy likes this.
    11-07-2014 02:05 AM
    But if that 5% is something most necessary such as adequate call volume, then it's a deal breaker unless call volume doesn't matter to you. For the OP, call volume is a priority. I don't care what bells and whistles a device has, if I have to struggle to hear callers constantly. That's a definite deal breaker. I won't compromise on what is one of the very most essential features of a PHONE; call volume/quality.
    You have to line the speaker up with your ear. There is no issue with the quality or volume. Some people can't figure it out. Look at where the speaker is.
    11-07-2014 08:08 AM
    You have to line the speaker up with your ear. There is no issue with the quality or volume. Some people can't figure it out. Look at where the speaker is.
    How is the volume when watching video or listening to music? How is it with headphones? Is the low volume just an issue with calls?
    11-07-2014 08:14 AM
    Sound coming out of only one speaker is an issue IMO.
    11-07-2014 08:18 AM
    Sound coming out of only one speaker is an issue IMO.
    Look how big the top speaker is. It spans the whole length of the phone. The you have two smaller speakers on either end of the top. An ear canal isn't big enough to be lined up with all of them. There is no volume issue. It's a holding issue. So you angle the phone two centimeters to line up with the proper speaker.
    11-07-2014 09:02 AM
    Look how big the top speaker is. It spans the whole length of the phone. The you have two smaller speakers on either end of the top. An ear canal isn't big enough to be lined up with all of them. There is no volume issue. It's a holding issue. So you angle the phone two centimeters to line up with the proper speaker.
    So? It's still pretty bad... I found it tinny as well

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    11-07-2014 09:09 AM
    There have been at least a dozen posts about this throughout different forums. I consider it an issue when I've never heard this happening with any other phone including the Maxx.

Your theory is that most people don't know how to hold a phone when talking?
    11-07-2014 09:20 AM
76 1234