11-09-2014 07:44 AM
76 1234
tools
    There have been at least a dozen posts about this throughout different forums. I consider it an issue when I've never heard this happening with any other phone including the Maxx.

Your theory is that most people don't know how to hold a phone when talking?
    Yes go check out the other threads. One guy shows a teardown if the phone. The speaker is in an awkward spot by design, so it requires to be angled slightly differently than what most people are used to.
    11-07-2014 12:31 PM
    What made you dislike the Note 4? I am trying to decide between the N4 and Turbo and leaning on the Note 4 after reading around on the forums here.
    I wasnt happy with the fluidity of the UI, even with the Note 4, I navigate through apps using the recent app button ALL OF THE TIME. For whatever reason, the Note 4 stuttered hard every time I tried to access recent apps. This is noted among Note 4 users across the board.

A lot of people complain about the droid Turbos camera lag. Try taking a picture with the note 4 and clicking on the thumbnail, it stutters hard trying to process the image I suppose.

Opening applications didnt run as smooth as i'd like, especially certain apps like new Words with Friends.

Opening the app drawer also stuttered.

I've had a plethora of devices, but more specifically I was coming from the HTC one M8 to the Note 4. Sense 6.0 runs seamlessly, even when compared to the notes latest version of Touchwiz. I couldn't swallow knowing that a device that launched in march out performed Samsungs latest flagship.

The turbo on the other hand actually felt like an upgrade. I couldn't enjoy the QHD display on the note 4 with such stutters. When operating the turbo you can really tell there is power under the hood, seriously.

I suggest going to the Verizon store and operating the tasks I mentioned above and then go to the turbo and do the same, not sure what device your coming from but you will notice the difference.

All in all the Note 4 is a fantastic device in its own right, having features unmatched by none.
    11-07-2014 01:49 PM
    I wasnt happy with the fluidity of the UI, even with the Note 4, I navigate through apps using the recent app button ALL OF THE TIME. For whatever reason, the Note 4 stuttered hard every time I tried to access recent apps. This is noted among Note 4 users across the board.

A lot of people complain about the droid Turbos camera lag. Try taking a picture with the note 4 and clicking on the thumbnail, it stutters hard trying to process the image I suppose.

Opening applications didnt run as smooth as i'd like, especially certain apps like new Words with Friends.

Opening the app drawer also stuttered.

I've had a plethora of devices, but more specifically I was coming from the HTC one M8 to the Note 4. Sense 6.0 runs seamlessly, even when compared to the notes latest version of Touchwiz. I couldn't swallow knowing that a device that launched in march out performed Samsungs latest flagship.

The turbo on the other hand actually felt like an upgrade. I couldn't enjoy the QHD display on the note 4 with such stutters. When operating the turbo you can really tell there is power under the hood, seriously.

I suggest going to the Verizon store and operating the tasks I mentioned above and then go to the turbo and do the same, not sure what device your coming from but you will notice the difference.

All in all the Note 4 is a fantastic device in its own right, having features unmatched by none.
    Idk what your talking about personally ....camera app doesn't shutter and people are complaining about the time it takes to go to gallery lmao. Camera takes pictures pretty quickly on the note 4 though I do notice it a bit worse on the Verizon note 4 then the t-mobile variant of the note 4. As far as recent apps I still hate that button and prefer the menu button but have gotten used to it between using the note 4 for a few weeks with t-mobile , nexus 5 for a month and the turbo for a day. I don't have any shuttering unless I have s ton of apps open but I actually tend to close them all before I exit the app by pushing back instead of home.

On the other hand slight movement with the horrible shuttering on the turbo camera made the camera unusable and With the tinny speaker and below average speaker for listening on calls made me get a note 4. Hopefully the nexus 6 fixes these issues and interested in buying one along my note 4 or even selling that for a nexus 6

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    11-07-2014 01:59 PM
    Idk what your talking about personally ....camera app doesn't shutter and people are complaining about the time it takes to go to gallery lmao. Camera takes pictures pretty quickly on the note 4 though I do notice it a bit worse on the Verizon note 4 then the t-mobile variant of the note 4. As far as recent apps I still hate that button and prefer the menu button but have gotten used to it between using the note 4 for a few weeks with t-mobile , nexus 5 for a month and the turbo for a day. I don't have any shuttering unless I have s ton of apps open but I actually tend to close them all before I exit the app by pushing back instead of home.

On the other hand slight movement with the horrible shuttering on the turbo camera made the camera unusable and With the tinny speaker and below average speaker for listening on calls made me get a note 4. Hopefully the nexus 6 fixes these issues and interested in buying one along my note 4 or even selling that for a nexus 6

*stutter

The Notes camera does take pictures really instantaneously. Click on the thumbnail after taking the picture though. You should be able to have as many apps open as seemingly possible, plenty of RAM

Clear win for the turbo, had both.

Posted via the Android Central App
    11-07-2014 02:50 PM
    *stutter

The Notes camera does take pictures really instantaneously. Click on the thumbnail after taking the picture though. You should be able to have as many apps open as seemingly possible, plenty of RAM

Clear win for the turbo, had both.

I keep apps closed out a force of habit ....I do it on my pc as much as possible as well lol. Once again I don't notice it on the t-mobile variant but the stutter I see a slight bit on the Verizon variant of the phone ... I do use the google camera app usually and it is instant though ...

I have had both as well and note 4 wins by a land slide with better camera and better voice quality and speaker. I otherwise like the turbo though and might consider a nexus 6

11-07-2014 02:53 PM
    I was using the droid turbo.... Motorola is known to had pretty bad cameras and the turbo follows...
    They switched from an Omnivision sensor to a Sony, which is considered one of the best, IIRC the iPhone uses a Sony sensor. I came from a Droid Maxx, and the difference between the cameras is noticeable. I always made sure to bring along my P&S (a Lumix 10MP) because of the hit and miss picture quality of the Maxx. So far I haven't had one issue with it. While it's still not as good as my P&S, it's much better than my Maxx was, especially being more consistent.
    11-07-2014 08:32 PM
    I must admit the sales reps in the store I was in were not very helpful - they did not care if I bought a phone or not (VZW store in Manhattan). I do plan to check the DT more in one of the stores out where I live and give the DT another chance. The specs are great I just fear getting a $600 lemon. I can be convinced. We will see.
    Thanks all for your remarks.
    Most Verizon sales reps in Manhattan don't care unless you are getting a 2 year contract. Most will give you hell about selling you a phone full retail.
    11-07-2014 08:54 PM
    They switched from an Omnivision sensor to a Sony, which is considered one of the best, IIRC the iPhone uses a Sony sensor. I came from a Droid Maxx, and the difference between the cameras is noticeable. I always made sure to bring along my P&S (a Lumix 10MP) because of the hit and miss picture quality of the Maxx. So far I haven't had one issue with it. While it's still not as good as my P&S, it's much better than my Maxx was, especially being more consistent.
    I still think it's pretty bad either way.... Camera makes alot of noise meanwhile the note 4 also uses a Sony sensor and takes vastly better pictures Imo

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    11-07-2014 08:58 PM
    I still think it's pretty bad either way.... Camera makes alot of noise meanwhile the note 4 also uses a Sony sensor and takes vastly better pictures Imo

And there are two possible solutions. First, use a third party camera app. I tried a few that made a slight difference on my Maxx. I've yet to try them on the Turbo, but with a better sensor it should lend itself to greatly improving over the images taken with the stock app. Second, in Android L, they are allowing the ability to take RAW files. RAW files are the images with no post processing done, which again means with the right software and a quality sensor, it's possible to get pictures just as good as any other camera with the same sensor.

My advice would be to try some third part camera apps, and see what you find. I took some pictures in a barn a few days back with only 2 fluorescent shop light for lighting and they came out great. Until I have an issue with the camera, I'll probably stay stock. But until L drops, that would be my advice, take it or leave it.
    11-08-2014 12:58 AM
    And there are two possible solutions. First, use a third party camera app. I tried a few that made a slight difference on my Maxx. I've yet to try them on the Turbo, but with a better sensor it should lend itself to greatly improving over the images taken with the stock app. Second, in Android L, they are allowing the ability to take RAW files. RAW files are the images with no post processing done, which again means with the right software and a quality sensor, it's possible to get pictures just as good as any other camera with the same sensor.

My advice would be to try some third part camera apps, and see what you find. I took some pictures in a barn a few days back with only 2 fluorescent shop light for lighting and they came out great. Until I have an issue with the camera, I'll probably stay stock. But until L drops, that would be my advice, take it or leave it.
    Already returned it and got a note 4. I honestly only got it because I figured I'll save $5 bucks a month on edge and get it over a note 4 which I have had on t-mobile and loved it. The camera with the note 4 is amazing and with OIS it takes some amazing shots for a camera phone. The smaller size, Meh camera (isn't terrible but I have seen better) and Meh speaker all together made me realize I would like the note 4 more.

11-08-2014 01:02 AM
    Yes go check out the other threads. One guy shows a teardown if the phone. The speaker is in an awkward spot by design, so it requires to be angled slightly differently than what most people are used to.
    First you said there was 2 speakers, and then you say there's one. The teardown shows only 1 speaker, and most likely they are doing something along the lines of a transmission line (a speaker firing into a chamber which then is vented to the listening space). I listened to my Turbo, and the sound is loudest on the left side (left side if you're looking at the face of the phone). The other side is just sound from that same speaker traveling through the speaker grill channel. I also listened to my Droid Maxx as well, and the difference was barely noticeable, so I'd guess the difference is about 1 - 2dB. Twice as loud is 6dB so we're not talking night and day here. Either way it's also possible that this can be fixed with software, assuming there is a volume limiter currently in place and it's not maxed out, which most manufacturers don't do because it may shorten the life of the component.

If it's really that bad, you could try an app called Speaker Boost. It will increase the volume, however it may also introduce distortion, which can damage hearing and the speaker itself if used at too high a level for too long. But the only way is to try it.
    11-08-2014 01:09 AM
    First you said there was 2 speakers, and then you say there's one. The teardown shows only 1 speaker, and most likely they are doing something along the lines of a transmission line (a speaker firing into a chamber which then is vented to the listening space). I listened to my Turbo, and the sound is loudest on the left side (left side if you're looking at the face of the phone). The other side is just sound from that same speaker traveling through the speaker grill channel. I also listened to my Droid Maxx as well, and the difference was barely noticeable, so I'd guess the difference is about 1 - 2dB. Twice as loud is 6dB so we're not talking night and day here. Either way it's also possible that this can be fixed with software, assuming there is a volume limiter currently in place and it's not maxed out, which most manufacturers don't do because it may shorten the life of the component.
    If you put your hand over the left speaker it clearly blocks the sound out of the left speaker

11-08-2014 01:11 AM
    I found that moving my ear closer to the right side of the ear piece made the call sound louder. The speaker for calls might only be toward the right side. I must admit the quality sound of calls from my S4 sounded more whole. However with the Turbo I can still hear what the caller is saying. I can hear their voice vs anything else around them.

11-08-2014 07:46 AM
    People still use phones for calls? Lol. But what everyone else said. The speaker is on the right side and u can tell a difference when u put you ear over the right side compared to having it in the middle
    11-08-2014 11:13 AM
    People still use phones for calls? Lol. But what everyone else said. The speaker is on the right side and u can tell a difference when u put you ear over the right side compared to having it in the middle
    Yes ? It's still a phone first and foremost. And a phone shouldn't need to be put in a placement for it to work well. I should be able to put it on my ear and hear it well and not in a sweet spot to work well

11-08-2014 11:20 AM
    Yes ? It's still a phone first and foremost. And a phone shouldn't need to be put in a placement for it to work well. I should be able to put it on my ear and hear it well and not in a sweet spot to work well

Clearly the design and/or build of the Turbo failed to match your expectations and needs. Hopefully you find your replacement phone is satisfactory. Go in peace.
    11-08-2014 11:42 AM
    Clearly the design and/or build of the Turbo failed to match your expectations and needs. Hopefully you find your replacement phone is satisfactory. Go in peace.
    Design ? It's simply the speakers are tinny and a sub par camera. Low volume on calls wasn't a factor in my opinion. The design otherwise I liked

11-08-2014 11:43 AM
    Design in terms of the entire phone - internal and external, quality of the materials and components, etc. Tinny speakers and sub par camera would be part of design in the sense I was using it.
    11-08-2014 11:59 AM
    Why not a Z30?
    Just noticed Verizon brought back the Z30 after a four month absence from their website. Maybe I'll pick up a used one. Waffling on trying the S5 again, maybe waiting until the Nexus 6 is available. eh, just disappointed in the turbo - so close to being perfect but lacking in a couple areas that are a must have for me.
    11-08-2014 12:02 PM
    Look how big the top speaker is. It spans the whole length of the phone. The you have two smaller speakers on either end of the top. An ear canal isn't big enough to be lined up with all of them. There is no volume issue. It's a holding issue. So you angle the phone two centimeters to line up with the proper speaker.
    Seriously? I tried moving the phone all over the place, from the bottom of my ear lobe to the top of my ear. and side to side, and in both ears. I definitely found the position where the earpiece was its loudest, but still wasn't nearly loud enough.
    11-08-2014 12:06 PM
    How is the volume when watching video or listening to music? How is it with headphones? Is the low volume just an issue with calls?
    Speaker volume is great for music and videos. Didn't try with headphones. It was just on calls where the volume was poor.
    11-08-2014 12:08 PM
    Speaker volume is great for music and videos. Didn't try with headphones. It was just on calls where the volume was poor.
    Reviews said headphone jack audio was disappointing from phonearena

11-08-2014 01:52 PM
    I had my hopes up for this device also. I have not personally used it so I'm going to hold on the judgement but from what I've read here it doesn't sound like the phone I wanted it to be. I love motos software but the earpiece volume really bothers me because I spend a good amount of time on the phone. My og moto x struggles with WiFi signal and was in hopes these new phones would take care of that but I guess they didn't. I'll wait for the nexus 6 and see how it performs.

As dumb as it sounds I'm running out of phones to choose from, lol. M8 will be replaced in 5-6 months if not sooner, I've had my share of TW so the s5 of Note 4 are out, and moto x has less than stellar battery life. Only phone I have not looked is the g3. After TouchWiz and using the moto x I would really like to stay as close to stock as possible.

Posted via Android Central App
    I'm using a g3 right now on my way to get the turbo I took a second and decided to let the new update go for a few days.

The new g3 update had made the battery life night and day better.

So I'm going to keep my g3 I may be tempted to pick up a turbo with an upgrade but not in a hurry now that the battery life on the g3 is much better
    11-09-2014 12:42 AM
    If you put your hand over the left speaker it clearly blocks the sound out of the left speaker
    There is no "left speaker".

11-09-2014 06:32 AM
    Already returned it and got a note 4. I honestly only got it because I figured I'll save $5 bucks a month on edge and get it over a note 4 which I have had on t-mobile and loved it. The camera with the note 4 is amazing and with OIS it takes some amazing shots for a camera phone. The smaller size, Meh camera (isn't terrible but I have seen better) and Meh speaker all together made me realize I would like the note 4 more.

I switched from my 3rd replacement turbo (minor but obvious defects) to the Note 4.

Few are as picky as I am, I promise, and the note 4 is superior to the Droid turbo in every way except small size if that is what you need.

I found the difference between note 4 and turbo size to be negligible, I have average to slightly small man hands.
    11-09-2014 06:50 AM
76 1234