Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo 95% of what I was hoping for, not ready to be my daily driver

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Re: 95% of what I was hoping for, not ready to be my daily driver

What made you dislike the Note 4? I am trying to decide between the N4 and Turbo and leaning on the Note 4 after reading around on the forums here.
There's plenty of reasons to like or hate both. Me personally don't like the camera and Tinny speakers of the turbo and some might hate (or just hate because it's cool) on touchwiz and the screen size. Personally I say go down to bestbuy and try out the note 4 and if they have the turbo out

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

wolf_walker

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site

Addition. Called my Father this evening who was on a cell in an airport on the opposite coast.
While it was still perfectly OK, the volume in the earpiece was maxed out where I'd prefer it to be
a notch or two below. Test calling to my aforementioned HD Voice VOIP "landline" it was much louder.
It's possible the VoLTE will change all this.
Also, volume through bluetooth earpiece was fine, as was speakerphone.

Nreeldeep

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
This is the conclusion to the "Speaker Issue" Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Top right speaker... - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

That being said, 95% seems more than adequate to make it a DD. I never expect anything to 100% suit my needs because that's unrealistic thinking.
But if that 5% is something most necessary such as adequate call volume, then it's a deal breaker unless call volume doesn't matter to you. For the OP, call volume is a priority. I don't care what bells and whistles a device has, if I have to struggle to hear callers constantly. That's a definite deal breaker. I won't compromise on what is one of the very most essential features of a PHONE; call volume/quality.

Masheen

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
But if that 5% is something most necessary such as adequate call volume, then it's a deal breaker unless call volume doesn't matter to you. For the OP, call volume is a priority. I don't care what bells and whistles a device has, if I have to struggle to hear callers constantly. That's a definite deal breaker. I won't compromise on what is one of the very most essential features of a PHONE; call volume/quality.

You have to line the speaker up with your ear. There is no issue with the quality or volume. Some people can't figure it out. Look at where the speaker is.

BlueLions81

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
You have to line the speaker up with your ear. There is no issue with the quality or volume. Some people can't figure it out. Look at where the speaker is.

How is the volume when watching video or listening to music? How is it with headphones? Is the low volume just an issue with calls?

Masheen

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Sound coming out of only one speaker is an issue IMO.

Look how big the top speaker is. It spans the whole length of the phone. The you have two smaller speakers on either end of the top. An ear canal isn't big enough to be lined up with all of them. There is no volume issue. It's a holding issue. So you angle the phone two centimeters to line up with the proper speaker.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Look how big the top speaker is. It spans the whole length of the phone. The you have two smaller speakers on either end of the top. An ear canal isn't big enough to be lined up with all of them. There is no volume issue. It's a holding issue. So you angle the phone two centimeters to line up with the proper speaker.
So? It's still pretty bad... I found it tinny as well

heyeaglefn

Sep 5, 2014
Visit site

There have been at least a dozen posts about this throughout different forums. I consider it an issue when I've never heard this happening with any other phone including the Maxx.

Your theory is that most people don't know how to hold a phone when talking?

Masheen

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
There have been at least a dozen posts about this throughout different forums. I consider it an issue when I've never heard this happening with any other phone including the Maxx.

Your theory is that most people don't know how to hold a phone when talking?

Yes go check out the other threads. One guy shows a teardown if the phone. The speaker is in an awkward spot by design, so it requires to be angled slightly differently than what most people are used to.

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site

What made you dislike the Note 4? I am trying to decide between the N4 and Turbo and leaning on the Note 4 after reading around on the forums here.

I wasnt happy with the fluidity of the UI, even with the Note 4, I navigate through apps using the recent app button ALL OF THE TIME. For whatever reason, the Note 4 stuttered hard every time I tried to access recent apps. This is noted among Note 4 users across the board.

A lot of people complain about the droid Turbos camera lag. Try taking a picture with the note 4 and clicking on the thumbnail, it stutters hard trying to process the image I suppose.

Opening applications didnt run as smooth as i'd like, especially certain apps like new Words with Friends.

Opening the app drawer also stuttered.

I've had a plethora of devices, but more specifically I was coming from the HTC one M8 to the Note 4. Sense 6.0 runs seamlessly, even when compared to the notes latest version of Touchwiz. I couldn't swallow knowing that a device that launched in march out performed Samsungs latest flagship.

The turbo on the other hand actually felt like an upgrade. I couldn't enjoy the QHD display on the note 4 with such stutters. When operating the turbo you can really tell there is power under the hood, seriously.

I suggest going to the Verizon store and operating the tasks I mentioned above and then go to the turbo and do the same, not sure what device your coming from but you will notice the difference.

All in all the Note 4 is a fantastic device in its own right, having features unmatched by none.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site

I wasnt happy with the fluidity of the UI, even with the Note 4, I navigate through apps using the recent app button ALL OF THE TIME. For whatever reason, the Note 4 stuttered hard every time I tried to access recent apps. This is noted among Note 4 users across the board.

A lot of people complain about the droid Turbos camera lag. Try taking a picture with the note 4 and clicking on the thumbnail, it stutters hard trying to process the image I suppose.

Opening applications didnt run as smooth as i'd like, especially certain apps like new Words with Friends.

Opening the app drawer also stuttered.

I've had a plethora of devices, but more specifically I was coming from the HTC one M8 to the Note 4. Sense 6.0 runs seamlessly, even when compared to the notes latest version of Touchwiz. I couldn't swallow knowing that a device that launched in march out performed Samsungs latest flagship.

The turbo on the other hand actually felt like an upgrade. I couldn't enjoy the QHD display on the note 4 with such stutters. When operating the turbo you can really tell there is power under the hood, seriously.

I suggest going to the Verizon store and operating the tasks I mentioned above and then go to the turbo and do the same, not sure what device your coming from but you will notice the difference.

All in all the Note 4 is a fantastic device in its own right, having features unmatched by none.

Idk what your talking about personally ....camera app doesn't shutter and people are complaining about the time it takes to go to gallery lmao. Camera takes pictures pretty quickly on the note 4 though I do notice it a bit worse on the Verizon note 4 then the t-mobile variant of the note 4. As far as recent apps I still hate that button and prefer the menu button but have gotten used to it between using the note 4 for a few weeks with t-mobile , nexus 5 for a month and the turbo for a day. I don't have any shuttering unless I have s ton of apps open but I actually tend to close them all before I exit the app by pushing back instead of home.

On the other hand slight movement with the horrible shuttering on the turbo camera made the camera unusable and With the tinny speaker and below average speaker for listening on calls made me get a note 4. Hopefully the nexus 6 fixes these issues and interested in buying one along my note 4 or even selling that for a nexus 6

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site

Idk what your talking about personally ....camera app doesn't shutter and people are complaining about the time it takes to go to gallery lmao. Camera takes pictures pretty quickly on the note 4 though I do notice it a bit worse on the Verizon note 4 then the t-mobile variant of the note 4. As far as recent apps I still hate that button and prefer the menu button but have gotten used to it between using the note 4 for a few weeks with t-mobile , nexus 5 for a month and the turbo for a day. I don't have any shuttering unless I have s ton of apps open but I actually tend to close them all before I exit the app by pushing back instead of home.

On the other hand slight movement with the horrible shuttering on the turbo camera made the camera unusable and With the tinny speaker and below average speaker for listening on calls made me get a note 4. Hopefully the nexus 6 fixes these issues and interested in buying one along my note 4 or even selling that for a nexus 6

*stutter

The Notes camera does take pictures really instantaneously. Click on the thumbnail after taking the picture though. You should be able to have as many apps open as seemingly possible, plenty of RAM

Clear win for the turbo, had both.

Posted via the Android Central App

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo 95% of what I was hoping for, not ready to be my...

*stutter

The Notes camera does take pictures really instantaneously. Click on the thumbnail after taking the picture though. You should be able to have as many apps open as seemingly possible, plenty of RAM

Clear win for the turbo, had both.

Posted via the Android Central App

I keep apps closed out a force of habit ....I do it on my pc as much as possible as well lol. Once again I don't notice it on the t-mobile variant but the stutter I see a slight bit on the Verizon variant of the phone ... I do use the google camera app usually and it is instant though ...

I have had both as well and note 4 wins by a land slide with better camera and better voice quality and speaker. I otherwise like the turbo though and might consider a nexus 6

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

I was using the droid turbo.... Motorola is known to had pretty bad cameras and the turbo follows...

They switched from an Omnivision sensor to a Sony, which is considered one of the best, IIRC the iPhone uses a Sony sensor. I came from a Droid Maxx, and the difference between the cameras is noticeable. I always made sure to bring along my P&S (a Lumix 10MP) because of the hit and miss picture quality of the Maxx. So far I haven't had one issue with it. While it's still not as good as my P&S, it's much better than my Maxx was, especially being more consistent.

willypguy

May 11, 2011
Visit site

I must admit the sales reps in the store I was in were not very helpful - they did not care if I bought a phone or not (VZW store in Manhattan). I do plan to check the DT more in one of the stores out where I live and give the DT another chance. The specs are great I just fear getting a $600 lemon. I can be convinced. We will see.
Thanks all for your remarks.

Most Verizon sales reps in Manhattan don't care unless you are getting a 2 year contract. Most will give you hell about selling you a phone full retail.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site

They switched from an Omnivision sensor to a Sony, which is considered one of the best, IIRC the iPhone uses a Sony sensor. I came from a Droid Maxx, and the difference between the cameras is noticeable. I always made sure to bring along my P&S (a Lumix 10MP) because of the hit and miss picture quality of the Maxx. So far I haven't had one issue with it. While it's still not as good as my P&S, it's much better than my Maxx was, especially being more consistent.
I still think it's pretty bad either way.... Camera makes alot of noise meanwhile the note 4 also uses a Sony sensor and takes vastly better pictures Imo

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

I still think it's pretty bad either way.... Camera makes alot of noise meanwhile the note 4 also uses a Sony sensor and takes vastly better pictures Imo

And there are two possible solutions. First, use a third party camera app. I tried a few that made a slight difference on my Maxx. I've yet to try them on the Turbo, but with a better sensor it should lend itself to greatly improving over the images taken with the stock app. Second, in Android L, they are allowing the ability to take RAW files. RAW files are the images with no post processing done, which again means with the right software and a quality sensor, it's possible to get pictures just as good as any other camera with the same sensor.

My advice would be to try some third part camera apps, and see what you find. I took some pictures in a barn a few days back with only 2 fluorescent shop light for lighting and they came out great. Until I have an issue with the camera, I'll probably stay stock. But until L drops, that would be my advice, take it or leave it.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site

And there are two possible solutions. First, use a third party camera app. I tried a few that made a slight difference on my Maxx. I've yet to try them on the Turbo, but with a better sensor it should lend itself to greatly improving over the images taken with the stock app. Second, in Android L, they are allowing the ability to take RAW files. RAW files are the images with no post processing done, which again means with the right software and a quality sensor, it's possible to get pictures just as good as any other camera with the same sensor.

My advice would be to try some third part camera apps, and see what you find. I took some pictures in a barn a few days back with only 2 fluorescent shop light for lighting and they came out great. Until I have an issue with the camera, I'll probably stay stock. But until L drops, that would be my advice, take it or leave it.
Already returned it and got a note 4. I honestly only got it because I figured I'll save $5 bucks a month on edge and get it over a note 4 which I have had on t-mobile and loved it. The camera with the note 4 is amazing and with OIS it takes some amazing shots for a camera phone. The smaller size, Meh camera (isn't terrible but I have seen better) and Meh speaker all together made me realize I would like the note 4 more.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cy3berOdyssey