Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo 95% of what I was hoping for, not ready to be my daily driver

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Yes go check out the other threads. One guy shows a teardown if the phone. The speaker is in an awkward spot by design, so it requires to be angled slightly differently than what most people are used to.

First you said there was 2 speakers, and then you say there's one. The teardown shows only 1 speaker, and most likely they are doing something along the lines of a transmission line (a speaker firing into a chamber which then is vented to the listening space). I listened to my Turbo, and the sound is loudest on the left side (left side if you're looking at the face of the phone). The other side is just sound from that same speaker traveling through the speaker grill channel. I also listened to my Droid Maxx as well, and the difference was barely noticeable, so I'd guess the difference is about 1 - 2dB. Twice as loud is 6dB so we're not talking night and day here. Either way it's also possible that this can be fixed with software, assuming there is a volume limiter currently in place and it's not maxed out, which most manufacturers don't do because it may shorten the life of the component.

If it's really that bad, you could try an app called Speaker Boost. It will increase the volume, however it may also introduce distortion, which can damage hearing and the speaker itself if used at too high a level for too long. But the only way is to try it.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
First you said there was 2 speakers, and then you say there's one. The teardown shows only 1 speaker, and most likely they are doing something along the lines of a transmission line (a speaker firing into a chamber which then is vented to the listening space). I listened to my Turbo, and the sound is loudest on the left side (left side if you're looking at the face of the phone). The other side is just sound from that same speaker traveling through the speaker grill channel. I also listened to my Droid Maxx as well, and the difference was barely noticeable, so I'd guess the difference is about 1 - 2dB. Twice as loud is 6dB so we're not talking night and day here. Either way it's also possible that this can be fixed with software, assuming there is a volume limiter currently in place and it's not maxed out, which most manufacturers don't do because it may shorten the life of the component.
If you put your hand over the left speaker it clearly blocks the sound out of the left speaker

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

shansheezy

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I found that moving my ear closer to the right side of the ear piece made the call sound louder. The speaker for calls might only be toward the right side. I must admit the quality sound of calls from my S4 sounded more whole. However with the Turbo I can still hear what the caller is saying. I can hear their voice vs anything else around them.

Posted via the Android Central App

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
People still use phones for calls? Lol. But what everyone else said. The speaker is on the right side and u can tell a difference when u put you ear over the right side compared to having it in the middle

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
People still use phones for calls? Lol. But what everyone else said. The speaker is on the right side and u can tell a difference when u put you ear over the right side compared to having it in the middle

Yes ? It's still a phone first and foremost. And a phone shouldn't need to be put in a placement for it to work well. I should be able to put it on my ear and hear it well and not in a sweet spot to work well

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BlueBlazer60

Oct 8, 2014
Visit site
Yes ? It's still a phone first and foremost. And a phone shouldn't need to be put in a placement for it to work well. I should be able to put it on my ear and hear it well and not in a sweet spot to work well

Clearly the design and/or build of the Turbo failed to match your expectations and needs. Hopefully you find your replacement phone is satisfactory. Go in peace.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo 95% of what I was hoping for, not ready to be my...

Clearly the design and/or build of the Turbo failed to match your expectations and needs. Hopefully you find your replacement phone is satisfactory. Go in peace.

Design ? It's simply the speakers are tinny and a sub par camera. Low volume on calls wasn't a factor in my opinion. The design otherwise I liked

BlueBlazer60

Oct 8, 2014
Visit site
Re: Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo 95% of what I was hoping for, not ready to be my...

Design in terms of the entire phone - internal and external, quality of the materials and components, etc. Tinny speakers and sub par camera would be part of design in the sense I was using it.

anon(19759)

Trusted Member
Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
Re: 95% of what I was hoping for, not ready to be my daily driver

Why not a Z30?

Just noticed Verizon brought back the Z30 after a four month absence from their website. Maybe I'll pick up a used one. Waffling on trying the S5 again, maybe waiting until the Nexus 6 is available. eh, just disappointed in the turbo - so close to being perfect but lacking in a couple areas that are a must have for me.

anon(19759)

Trusted Member
Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
Look how big the top speaker is. It spans the whole length of the phone. The you have two smaller speakers on either end of the top. An ear canal isn't big enough to be lined up with all of them. There is no volume issue. It's a holding issue. So you angle the phone two centimeters to line up with the proper speaker.

Seriously? I tried moving the phone all over the place, from the bottom of my ear lobe to the top of my ear. and side to side, and in both ears. I definitely found the position where the earpiece was its loudest, but still wasn't nearly loud enough.

jbomb11

Banned
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
I had my hopes up for this device also. I have not personally used it so I'm going to hold on the judgement but from what I've read here it doesn't sound like the phone I wanted it to be. I love motos software but the earpiece volume really bothers me because I spend a good amount of time on the phone. My og moto x struggles with WiFi signal and was in hopes these new phones would take care of that but I guess they didn't. I'll wait for the nexus 6 and see how it performs.

As dumb as it sounds I'm running out of phones to choose from, lol. M8 will be replaced in 5-6 months if not sooner, I've had my share of TW so the s5 of Note 4 are out, and moto x has less than stellar battery life. Only phone I have not looked is the g3. After TouchWiz and using the moto x I would really like to stay as close to stock as possible.

Posted via Android Central App
I'm using a g3 right now on my way to get the turbo I took a second and decided to let the new update go for a few days.

The new g3 update had made the battery life night and day better.

So I'm going to keep my g3 I may be tempted to pick up a turbo with an upgrade but not in a hurry now that the battery life on the g3 is much better

Zachtheowl

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
Re: 95% of what I was hoping for, not ready to be my daily driver

Already returned it and got a note 4. I honestly only got it because I figured I'll save $5 bucks a month on edge and get it over a note 4 which I have had on t-mobile and loved it. The camera with the note 4 is amazing and with OIS it takes some amazing shots for a camera phone. The smaller size, Meh camera (isn't terrible but I have seen better) and Meh speaker all together made me realize I would like the note 4 more.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I switched from my 3rd replacement turbo (minor but obvious defects) to the Note 4.

Few are as picky as I am, I promise, and the note 4 is superior to the Droid turbo in every way except small size if that is what you need.

I found the difference between note 4 and turbo size to be negligible, I have average to slightly small man hands.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie