All the pics show Verizon's Message+ app for the SMS client.

The Droid Maxx had a Moto app right? Is that also on the Turbo? Yes I know I can download multiple options from the Play store. I generally like the stock app.

Posted via the Android Central App
    11-06-2014 01:46 AM
    Yes it has the stock messaging app as well.
    11-06-2014 06:06 AM
    Not to hijack this thread but I'm torn what message app to use. Have Hangouts as default now, I like the PC interface and quick video calls but I noticed Moto suite will not announce/read texts...is this because you have to use stock messenger for that to work?
    11-06-2014 09:47 AM
    Moto suite works with Messages+. M+ also works and syncs on wifi tablets and on a web-based portal on the VZW website.
    11-06-2014 12:59 PM
    Moto Assist works with Textra.
    KPMcClave likes this.
    12-06-2014 11:06 AM
    I started with the stock msg app as it was the same on my RMHD and it was what I was used to. But after seeing some reviews on the Verizon Message+ app I figured I would give it a try.
    I have to say I don't think I can go back to the stock app now! I really like how you can customize everything, backgrounds and text and stuff like that. I'm sure there are other apps that you can also do this but I have never tried a third party msg app.
    I just figured since the Verizon one is already on the phone I would give it a try. I'm Glad I did!
    12-06-2014 02:40 PM
    I started with the stock msg app as it was the same on my RMHD and it was what I was used to. But after seeing some reviews on the Verizon Message+ app I figured I would give it a try.
    I have to say I don't think I can go back to the stock app now! I really like how you can customize everything, backgrounds and text and stuff like that. I'm sure there are other apps that you can also do this but I have never tried a third party msg app.
    I just figured since the Verizon one is already on the phone I would give it a try. I'm Glad I did!
    I had been using Textra on my Turbo since I got it on Halloween. I'd been using it on my Maxx before that, too. I love it.

While reading up about Verizon Message+ yesterday for a suggestion to my son, I decided to give it a try myself. I really liked it quite a bit, and since it can't be uninstalled anyway, began using it as my defualt SMS app instead of Textra.

Then I found out that all of that personalization isn't as it seems. If you only care about top level personalization (app looks as you'd like but all contacts look and sound the same), no problem. Change the default stuff and you'll be fine.

However, if you want to personalize individual contacts, you're out of luck. Because the app only personalizes individual *conversations*.

This leaves you with three choices: use the same tones, colors, etc. for everyone (the defualt app personalization); save your messages as one long "conversation" to preserve the tones, backgrounds and colors settings; or reset those personalized tones, etc. every time you recieve a new message from a contact (if you've deleted the previous personalized conversation with them).

Needless to say, this is numbskullery at its finest. Who the heck only wants to personalize a conversation? There's no real value added to only having that option with no ability to always hear the same tone from the same person, etc.

Back to Textra for me.
    12-06-2014 04:04 PM
    I had been using Textra on my Turbo since I got it on Halloween. I'd been using it on my Maxx before that, too. I love it.

While reading up about Verizon Message+ yesterday for a suggestion to my son, I decided to give it a try myself. I really liked it quite a bit, and since it can't be uninstalled anyway, began using it as my defualt SMS app instead of Textra.

Then I found out that all of that personalization isn't as it seems. If you only care about top level personalization (app looks as you'd like but all contacts look and sound the same), no problem. Change the default stuff and you'll be fine.

However, if you want to personalize individual contacts, you're out of luck. Because the app only personalizes individual *conversations*.

This leaves you with three choices: use the same tones, colors, etc. for everyone (the defualt app personalization); save your messages as one long "conversation" to preserve the tones, backgrounds and colors settings; or reset those personalized tones, etc. every time you recieve a new message from a contact (if you've deleted the previous personalized conversation with them).

Needless to say, this is numbskullery at its finest. Who the heck only wants to personalize a conversation? There's no real value added to only having that option with no ability to always hear the same tone from the same person, etc.

Back to Textra for me.
    I see your point. For me it works out fine because I don't delete conversations. So the few that I personalized different from my default will be fine.
    Im going to take a look at Textra to see how it is. Does Textra let you change the back ground to a photo?
    KPMcClave likes this.
    12-06-2014 06:34 PM
    I see your point. For me it works out fine because I don't delete conversations. So the few that I personalized different from my default will be fine.
    Im going to take a look at Textra to see how it is. Does Textra let you change the back ground to a photo?
    I wouldn't mind as much if they didn't even have the conversation personalization. That seems to make more sense to me than doing it sort of half...way. Glad it works for you as is, though.

Textra doesn't currently have background personalization beyond the theme color (Light, Dark or Black). Personalization comes in the tones you set and the text bubbles colors. You can set those for the defualt app and for individual contacts. It also has another neat feature. You can select to only have mobile numbers displayed. Very nice since those will be what you text to anyway. Anyway, give it a try. It's free, fast and smooth.

I'll keep tabs on Message+ and see if they add the contacts personalization down the line. I really do like it otherwise.
    12-07-2014 12:32 AM
    I noticed the other day while using Message+ that it shows me when the other person is inputting their reply just like it does in the Facebook Messenger. I had no idea TEXT messages "knew" and were communicating with the other's phone BEFORE you hit the send button until I saw this. Of course, I'm not super "up" on this new stuff but that did surprise me a bit as I thought nothing was happening in the background and nothing happened until I hit the send button. Nope. LOL
    12-07-2014 08:39 AM
    I noticed the other day while using Message+ that it shows me when the other person is inputting their reply just like it does in the Facebook Messenger. I had no idea TEXT messages "knew" and were communicating with the other's phone BEFORE you hit the send button until I saw this. Of course, I'm not super "up" on this new stuff but that did surprise me a bit as I thought nothing was happening in the background and nothing happened until I hit the send button. Nope. LOL
    In the settings there is an option to show when typing.
    12-07-2014 08:48 AM
    In the settings there is an option to show when typing.
    Has texting always (or at least in recent history) been like this or is this something new with the Turbo and/or Message+? I just never realized that the phones were communicating with each other *constantly*. I had always thought that when you hit the "send" button for a text message it was at that time (and that time only) that data was being sent out of the phone.
    12-07-2014 09:37 AM
    People on here are saying that Message+ works without data so maybe it's communicating directly with a server on Verizon's end and doesn't work exactly like SMS and MMS usually does. I am thinking more similar to FB messages (thus it knows when you are responding) but apparently without the data usage since the carrier is running it.
    12-07-2014 10:58 AM