New Turbo = new voicemail setup??

Bob-B

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Just got a Turbo on my existing contract, and when someone tries to leave a voicemail (which was setup and working fine with the phone previous to the Turbo) the message says that voicemail has not been setup. When I call *86 to set it up, it wants to walk me through the setup for visual voicemail, which I DON'T WANT. Also, when setting up my voicemail it says that this is a "special introduction" and it's for visual voicemail. Had a chat with Verizon support, but the guy was clueless (didn't even know what visual voicemail was). Has anyone who bought a Turbo with an existing contract had this happen? How did you get out of setting up visual voicemail? Thanks.

CarolinaDroid

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
I didn't have to setup my voicemail, but when I went into the voicemail icon on the Turbo for the first time it set up visual voicemail for me as well. It stated it was free for a time period, but I don't want it either and want it to go back to the regular voicemail. I checked my account yesterday and no voicemail was selected online and was planning to check it again today.

deetz307

Oct 8, 2014
Visit site
Note that there are 2 versions of visual voicemail with Verizon that are on these latest gen of verizon android phones like the Droid Turbo, LG G3 etc.
There is the premium visual voicemail which you get a 30 day free trial to when you first open your voicemail app, and that has a monthly charge after the 30 days, and then there is the basic visual voicemail which you can downgrade to at anytime. (you can downgrade by ending your trial from the menu in the visual voicemail app, then exiting and going back in the app and accepting the basic visual voicemail option)

maxman1

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Note that there are 2 versions of visual voicemail with Verizon that are on these latest gen of verizon android phones like the Droid Turbo, LG G3 etc.
There is the premium visual voicemail which you get a 30 day free trial to when you first open your voicemail app, and that has a monthly charge after the 30 days, and then there is the basic visual voicemail which you can downgrade to at anytime. (you can downgrade by ending your trial from the menu in the visual voicemail app, then exiting and going back in the app and accepting the basic visual voicemail option)
Correct. Honestly, I was skeptical of the new version but now that I've tried it I'll never go back. I can do fine with the basic version (free) and love getting all the information at a glance & never having to call to get the messages. The Premium version is even better with the transcription feature & if I didn't have so few voicemails I might consider it.

Turbo prob

Nov 30, 2014
Visit site
I have been trying to set up Basic or Premium Visual Voicemail with Verizon for 3 weeks and after multiple store visits and calls to technical service was just told "a patch is coming" but Verizon does not know when. Now I am being told I cannot return the phone because I am outside of the 14 day period even though I was told "not to worry - if they cannot fix this I could return it even after 14 days". Turn your Turbo in right away if you are having this problem!

Davidoo

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
Yes, this happened to me too. I don't like it that they just deleted my old email greeting and everything just because I got a new phone. I wanted to keep the basic voicemail I had. However, I relented and went with the visual voicemail basic that is free and really like it now as you don't have to call anymore, you can just listen on your phone. Still would have been nice to have the choice at first rather than them deciding for me.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I had to setup Google Voice again but I'm not sure if my regular voicemail would have needed it. I recommend Google Voice over any standard voicemail so check it out if you're up to it. :)

Sent from my Motorola Droid Turbo

sftl97

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
I had to setup Google Voice again but I'm not sure if my regular voicemail would have needed it. I recommend Google Voice over any standard voicemail so check it out if you're up to it. :)

Can this be removed or disabled?? I'm thinking of getting this phone, or the nexus 6, but do not want any visual voicemail from vzw i use google voice and will not change.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Can this be removed or disabled?? I'm thinking of getting this phone, or the nexus 6, but do not want any visual voicemail from vzw i use google voice and will not change.
No, but once Voice is setup the regular voicemail no longer works.

anon(480526)

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site

It can be removed. I did it yesterday. I set up the free trial of visual voice mail. I was forced to. When the period was about to end, they sent a VM saying it was almost over. I left the free trial via the app. Read the options carefully. You have to choose basic. Then I went to the Verizon website and deactivated basic VVM. It pushed another version of VM onto my account, because some sort of VM is mandatory. Now when I get a VM, it calls *86 instead of opening that app. The app is still there. I can not disable it, but a VM called from the drop down will use dialer to call *86. I am ok with this.

sftl97

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
It can be removed. I did it yesterday. I set up the free trial of visual voice mail. I was forced to. When the period was about to end, they sent a VM saying it was almost over. I left the free trial via the app. Read the options carefully. You have to choose basic. Then I went to the Verizon website and deactivated basic VVM. It pushed another version of VM onto my account, because some sort of VM is mandatory. Now when I get a VM, it calls *86 instead of opening that app. The app is still there. I can not disable it, but a VM called from the drop down will use dialer to call *86. I am ok with this.

I'm going to need to do some research, this could actually be a deal breaker for me. I currently use google voice for my vm and vvm and don't plan on switching. Also, this must have an affect on all VZW phones and right now it's not doing anything on my droid razr.
As long as i can continue with GV then I'm fine.

I don't understand how vzw can force something onto your phone, where they will have an additional charge, and you can't remove it.

cyberr8der

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm going to need to do some research, this could actually be a deal breaker for me. I currently use google voice for my vm and vvm and don't plan on switching. Also, this must have an affect on all VZW phones and right now it's not doing anything on my droid razr.
As long as i can continue with GV then I'm fine.

I don't understand how vzw can force something onto your phone, where they will have an additional charge, and you can't remove it.
Just curious, what's the advantage to using Google voice for visual voicemail over Verizon visual voicemail. They both do the same thing correct? I don't use Google voice anymore so I may be missing something.

sftl97

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
Just curious, what's the advantage to using Google voice for visual voicemail over Verizon visual voicemail. They both do the same thing correct? I don't use Google voice anymore so I may be missing something.

This can turn into a lengthy explanation. But simply, I've never used vzw v.v.m so can't speak to it. I've been on GV for some time and it's my preferred method of making and receiving calls mainly cause it doesn't cost anything. All calls that come in either through vzw or gv will be picked up by GV voice mail and i'll get the v.v.m sent to my phone.
Don't want to hijack this thread, My issue with vzw is their forcing a product and then charging extra for it (if that's truly the case). Atleast that's what i got from the OP.

anon(480526)

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
My issue with vzw is their forcing a product and then charging extra for it (if that's truly the case). Atleast that's what i got from the OP.

In this case, they charge extra for premium vvm if you decide to keep it after the one month free trial. You can drop to basic, or as I mentioned in my earlier post, get rid of vvm completely.

sftl97

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
In this case, they charge extra for premium vvm if you decide to keep it after the one month free trial. You can drop to basic, or as I mentioned in my earlier post, get rid of vvm completely.

Sorry, I must have missed your earlier post. That's really all i wanted to know, if it can be removed or disabled.

maxman1

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Sorry, I must have missed your earlier post. That's really all i wanted to know, if it can be removed or disabled.
Indeed it can however, it's very nice & much more convenient not having to call & go through the prompts to retrieve messages. I'm not certain but even with VVM enabled I *think* you can still have simultaneous access to the legacy dialup VM should you wish.

VZWsucks

Dec 3, 2014
Visit site
I used youmail for years as my voicemail client and haven't had these kinds of issues.

Sent from my DROID Turbo64

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar