01-21-2015 06:58 PM
53 123
tools
    Strange you guys are having so much issue. I don't think its all Turbo's or people have different hearing sensitivity. I have to turn mine down at times because it is too loud. I cannot hear my father, but I never could before so I will chalk that up to him!
    11-11-2014 07:43 PM
    I did that.to me the volume is low especially if im in another room.i don't know if I have a missed notification or not unless the phone is in the same room as me.i just need a good quality volume booster app.i had the razr maxx and I bought the volume + app.volume + doesn't work on the turbo.
    11-11-2014 11:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jerryfuture View Post

I was at the Verizon store yesterday. Yes it is louder if you position the phone at your ear in an unnatural way. But just barely loud enough. Also took some pictures with the camera at the Verizon store. Almost every picture I took looked blurry to me.

Good hint that this might not be a good choice for you

You may be correct about this. It is just so sad. I was hoping this phone was the phone for me. When a company makes a cell phone, don't they test it first before they manufacture 100.000 or so?
    11-12-2014 12:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jerryfuture View Post

I was at the Verizon store yesterday. Yes it is louder if you position the phone at your ear in an unnatural way. But just barely loud enough. Also took some pictures with the camera at the Verizon store. Almost every picture I took looked blurry to me.

Good hint that this might not be a good choice for you

You may be correct about this. It is just so sad. I was hoping this phone was the phone for me. When a company makes a cell phone, don't they test it first before they manufacture 100.000 or so?
    Jerry if you are in the market for a new phone, you can always take advantage of VZW 14 day return policy and swap it for something else.
    11-12-2014 12:43 PM
    Jerry if you are in the market for a new phone, you can always take advantage of VZW 14 day return policy and swap it for something else.
    I will try again to test the droid turbo at the Verizon store tomorrow.
    11-13-2014 12:44 AM
    After half a dozen times answering the phone placing it in the correct position to hear becomes second nature. Not sure about BT but with a wired headset I have to turn the volume down. Very loud with good tone.
    11-13-2014 03:22 AM
    this is definitely a frustrating problem. During a phone call, I am constantly moving my phone around my ear to find the sweet spot. It doesn't have any problem with other volumes on audio or video. Its only calls.I will be taking this phone back, unless someone can tell me that there will be an update, a software update, to solve this problem. The volume is way too low., unless you're on speaker phone.
    Heath Mcmillan likes this.
    11-14-2014 11:25 AM
    I went to Verizon store to test turbo, note 4 and Sony xperia. I did test the ear piece volume, sounded fine at least the store model.

Posted via the Android Central App
    11-14-2014 07:38 PM
    Reading all the posts about call volume, I wanted to test a Turbo before making my final decision.

Sharing my results at a Verizon Corporate Store on a late Friday afternoon. Droid display was in a mid-store high traffic area. Lot of customers and sales staff. Not sure why I was the only customer at the Droid display but it did allow me extended time make several test calls. There was enough customers in the immediate area plus sales staff operating at full volume to create a medium/high level of background noise.

Tester is a senior citizen with known hearing issues enough to have difficulty understanding low volume comments or conversation on phone calls or in noisy public areas such as restaurants, stores, sports events, etc, and frequently have to ask to have statements repeated. Hearing issues are not bad enough for hearing aids but do create issues for me and maybe more so for my friends.

I could hear and clearly understand the individuals I called. I could hear voice mail responses from unanswered calls. The top edge of the phone was across the middle part of my ear. Call was loudest and clearest when my ear canal was located between the center and 1/3 way toward the volume rocker side of the phone. Call volume dropped and difficultly in understanding the caller increased when the phone was moved to other positions. The ideal position did not seem alien to me since it is close to how I hold my current phone. Call quality was better for me than my current Razr M.

I checked the Turbo call volume setting while on a call. It was roughly 2/3 to 3/4 to the high side of the indicator. I forgot to check any of the audio effects settings.

Since hearing is so highly individualized these results are really only valid for me but I wanted to share my impression.

Edit: Based on my test calls, my impression is for many people the problem is a result of hardware design - earpiece speaker placement. So I would not expect much of a change with software updates or Lollipop. Unless of course it is a cherry lollipop. mmm good
    11-14-2014 09:25 PM
    earpiece volume during calls seems low to me even when I have it positioned just right in my ear.
    11-17-2014 06:47 PM
    These reports are shameful for a company's FLAGSHIP. The volume should be OVERKILL! Not just adequate when standing on your head.
    12-08-2014 12:35 PM
    These reports are shameful for a company's FLAGSHIP. The volume should be OVERKILL! Not just adequate when standing on your head.
    Agree 100%. Also want to add that disabling the EQ and Voice Privacy modes should not be necessary to get adequate earpiece volume. That's not a fix, that's a bandaid. That's like all the people that say turning off data and wifi and everything else on a phone is how to solve the poor battery life problems.
    12-08-2014 12:40 PM
    I've had this phone for about 3 weeks now and I am experiencing the in call volume issues. It has nothing to do with how I'm holding the phone. I know that because it was working fine during calls in the first 2 weeks, then sometime about a week ago it stopped. It started with not hearing anything when I would receive a call for just a second or so. Then it was like 5-10 seconds of "Hello?, .... Hello?". Now it never comes back and all calls are affected. I even had the guy at the Verizon store give it a go. You can definitely hear something but it's incredibly faint. Move the phone all over if you want to but it's not going to help. Speaker phone and Media speaker work fine. Getting a new one in 2 days. Then I can stop bothering people at work with my speakerphone antics.
    12-08-2014 11:09 PM
    I shouldn't have to put the phone on max volume to be able to hear someone. The only clear conversation was with my mother, and all previous phones had to be held 5 inches from my ear to have a conversation with her due to her extremely loud voice. Using a BT is perfectly fine. I'd like to see the volume increased so that we don't have to "learn" how to hold the phone to our ears.
    12-09-2014 11:13 PM
    The new update seems to have fixed this for me.

Posted via the Android Central App
    12-11-2014 06:52 PM
    Just an update, Verizon replaced it the phone on Wednesday and wow what a difference. I'm able to hear phone calls again. This is clearly not just a bad positioning issue, but I don't believe all phones just have bad audio. I think there are a select number of phones that have a bad speaker. If you're having trouble hearing definitely take it in and get it replaced.
    12-12-2014 10:12 PM
    Between the update and a new case, it's fixed for me too.
    12-16-2014 06:12 AM
    The volte update made the phone WAY louder. Good job Verizon/Motorola.
    12-16-2014 09:25 AM
    I'm one of the ones that tried everything and couldn't get enough sound during a call. I purposely moved the speaker at the very top edge of the phone all around my ear while on several calls and bottom line is even when I found the loudest position, it wasn't loud enough. I did find the position where the very top of the phone where the ear speaker is located was directly on top of my ear canal. It certainly seemed odd compared to all of my previous phones where the ear speaker is slightly below the top edge. In any case, it was not loud enough, and I'm smart enough to know to move the phone around all over the place to get it at it's loudest point on my ear. I can't even believe someone wouldn't try that before complaining about the poor call volume. The phone just didn't have enough volume, plain and simple.
    12-20-2014 02:03 AM
    I work at a noisy environment no matter what I do can't hear anybody on my phone simply the earpiece volume way too low previously had droid Maxx and Droid raser no problem with earpiece volume
    12-20-2014 02:13 AM
    I did put my ear to the speaker.im referencing the volume booster apps b/c if im in another room and I get a call or txt,etc the volume is somewhat lowq,I would like to find a volume booster app that increases the volume of the txt,call coming in etc.
    12-20-2014 02:23 PM
    question,
    when im on wifi I get a error message saying"data roaming,youve lost connectivity b/c you left your home network with data roaming turned off"why am I getting the error message?
    12-20-2014 02:30 PM
    This problem is not how you place your ear to the phone. I compared two Turbos at the Verizon store and one was normal, one was very quiet.
    12-22-2014 04:44 PM
    question,
    when im on wifi I get a error message saying"data roaming,youve lost connectivity b/c you left your home network with data roaming turned off"why am I getting the error message?
    Settings / Data usage. Tap the menu control top right, make sure that "data roaming" is checked.
    12-22-2014 05:46 PM
    will I incur any additional charges by having the data roaming box checked?
    12-22-2014 10:59 PM
53 123