Are most people happy with the Droid Turbo?

GolferChris68

May 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm really considering picking up the 64GB model. Played with it in the Verizon store last night, and really liked it. When it was first announced, it wasn't really on my radar, as I've not owned any of the past Droid phones. But this one, based on my time playing with it in the store - the screen seems excellent, though a little smaller than the big phones I'm used to. I love that the UI isn't bloated up like Touchwiz, and seems to stay closer to the Google standard. That's a big thing in my book.

However, I'm concerned about several things that I've seen here in the forum - the call volume being very low, the speaker not being very good, the camera not being good. On the issue of the camera - based on some test shots in the store, it seems pretty capable from an image quality perspective. It's a little slow to shoot, but doesn't seem too bad. What I wasn't able to judge for myself - the call volume - concerns me. Are most of you happy with the call volume? Or is it a more widespread issue that I should wait to see fixed before picking up a Droid Turbo for myself? Are most of you happy with the phone in general?

From the perspective of all the things I like in a phone, on paper, the Turbo seems like it would be a great fit for me. But the complaints (which I understand probably take up more space than people who love the phone) concern me a bit. Hoping you guys can put my mind at ease here. I've had the Samsung S5, which is a nice phone, but with a build quality that I hated, and that suffered from lag (even with a third-party launcher). I'm also looking at the Note 4, which seems great. However, I've had Samsung phones forever, and am feeling like switching it up a bit. That, and the thought of getting Lollipop sooner than I would with a Samsung phone is appealing.

skimore2020

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
I got my 64GB Turbo last Friday afternoon and absolutely love it. I have not had an issue with the call volume, myself. And my wife would say that I'm deaf.

As far as the camera, I do like it. The stock camera app is a little slow at taking pictures, but I wouldn't consider it THAT bad. I had the Moto X 2014 for about a month before upgrading to the Turbo. I think that the Turbo's camera takes a lot better pictures than the Moto X.

Overall, I have been extremely happy with the Turbo since upgrading.

Jay Evans

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I'll second that the call volume on my unit seems perfectly OK to me. Even with the EQ on it sounds fine to my ear.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm considering the Droid Turbo as well.

The call volume issue seems to be inconsistent. Some people report it is low, others say it's loud. I thought about it, and I rarely make/take calls using the earpiece speaker. I either put it on speaker phone, use earbuds, or am in my vehicle and take the call over bluetooth/vehicle speakers (Ford Sync.) If I go with Turbo, I hope I get one with decent call volume through the earpiece speaker, but I've realized it's really a non-issue for me.

The camera is more concerning to me, and I'll have to play with it in the store some more. The first time I played with it I tried to get it to take a bad picture and I couldn't. Again, there are mixed reports on the forums. I have been reading the S5 forums and people are complaining about blurry shots; the Samsung camera is supposed to be top notch. The upgrade to Lollipop promises a more powerful camera.

anon(5709734)

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
I've had mine for almost a week. Main reason I got it was the battery. Like anything else don't expect an ACTUAL 48 hours of use unless its pretty light use. I've had no issues with call volume either.

My previous phone was the Nexus 4 which I loved! And for a Verizon phone I'm pleasantly surprised how close to stock this build is. It's also my first moto phone as well. Honestly, I'd give it a 9/10 and the only other phone I would consider is the Nexus 6.

Posted via the Android Central App

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
I complain a lot here but I think it's the best all around phone I've owned. (epic 4g, galaxy s3, note 2, note 3, 2013 moto x, 2014 moto x)

The earpiece volume is low..but it's loud enough for me even in my loud car if I hold it in the right spot - it's very directional and seems to point down ever so slightly.

The camera...IMHO is useless indoors for a moving subject. That doesn't make the phone awful overall, and big camera changes are expected with android L. If you can deal with it for 1-3 months until L gets here, pick one up. It's not the worst cell phone camera out there even in its current state.

The battery...is not 48 hours for me. However I would be very confident taking the phone off the charger and using it like normal for work (including tethering and hours of screen on time and phone calls) all day, not charge it the next night, and expect to make it until noon the following day (roughly 30+ hours or so). Its the strongest battery i've ever used and I love not having to think about it.

Nov 2, 2014
Visit site
Very happy with mine aside from some screen uneven-ness. Will exchange for another turbo though. Great hardware/software combo from Motorola.

Posted from my Droid Turbo via the AC App

GolferChris68

May 14, 2011
Visit site
I complain a lot here but I think it's the best all around phone I've owned. (epic 4g, galaxy s3, note 2, note 3, 2013 moto x, 2014 moto x)

The earpiece volume is low..but it's loud enough for me even in my loud car if I hold it in the right spot - it's very directional and seems to point down ever so slightly.

The camera...IMHO is useless indoors for a moving subject. That doesn't make the phone awful overall, and big camera changes are expected with android L. If you can deal with it for 1-3 months until L gets here, pick one up. It's not the worst cell phone camera out there even in its current state.

The battery...is not 48 hours for me. However I would be very confident taking the phone off the charger and using it like normal for work (including tethering and hours of screen on time and phone calls) all day, not charge it the next night, and expect to make it until noon the following day (roughly 30+ hours or so). Its the strongest battery i've ever used and I love not having to think about it.

Most cell phone cameras are useless for moving subjects, especially indoors. So I'm not too worried about that. I would mostly use the camera for social situations, a quick landscape/architecture shot outdoors, a food shot, etc. Pretty informal stuff. I have other, better cameras that I use for more critical stuff.

mightyfacundo

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Call volume is fine for me. Camera works well in low light situations which is a huge plus for me coming from the DNA. I easily make it through an entire day without having to plug in. It's super speedy with a great screen, so I'm very happy with it.

anon(1733)

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
Phone is beyond great for me. Just read some of my posts as well as others. The call volume is loud to me no issues. And I use speaker phone daily without issue. The camera for me has been great. I have no complaints.

ghbishop

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I am really enjoying a phone with no lag. I hated it when the screen lags and I would end up pressing something that changes the millisecond before I pressed it - sending it off to do something not intended. This does not happen with the Turbo.

Build quality is good and tough. Beauty is subjective and sometimes a really well designed product has it own kind of appreciation especially for those with the understanding of the engineering and coding that go into these devices.

My hope is that Lollipop is soaked tested for a good long time before they roll it out to the Turbo because right now this device is an optimal match of hardware and software.

beeztrain

Nov 5, 2014
Visit site
I'm really considering picking up the 64GB model. Played with it in the Verizon store last night, and really liked it. When it was first announced, it wasn't really on my radar, as I've not owned any of the past Droid phones. But this one, based on my time playing with it in the store - the screen seems excellent, though a little smaller than the big phones I'm used to. I love that the UI isn't bloated up like Touchwiz, and seems to stay closer to the Google standard. That's a big thing in my book.

However, I'm concerned about several things that I've seen here in the forum - the call volume being very low, the speaker not being very good, the camera not being good. On the issue of the camera - based on some test shots in the store, it seems pretty capable from an image quality perspective. It's a little slow to shoot, but doesn't seem too bad. What I wasn't able to judge for myself - the call volume - concerns me. Are most of you happy with the call volume? Or is it a more widespread issue that I should wait to see fixed before picking up a Droid Turbo for myself? Are most of you happy with the phone in general?

From the perspective of all the things I like in a phone, on paper, the Turbo seems like it would be a great fit for me. But the complaints (which I understand probably take up more space than people who love the phone) concern me a bit. Hoping you guys can put my mind at ease here. I've had the Samsung S5, which is a nice phone, but with a build quality that I hated, and that suffered from lag (even with a third-party launcher). I'm also looking at the Note 4, which seems great. However, I've had Samsung phones forever, and am feeling like switching it up a bit. That, and the thought of getting Lollipop sooner than I would with a Samsung phone is appealing.

I have the droid turbo with life proof case. Haven't made any calls with the case on yet so I can't verify distortion or call volume problems with that. The case does come really close to the capacitive buttons but nothing to cry over. I did find that the phone has no mhl or slimport capabilities for mirroring on a television. Big bummer on that front as I used [redacted] to watch movies and TV shows all the time. Still working on a solution for that. Facebook and the phone also do not sync contacts and there's no option to link them if you use a third party app like ubersync. I found on the call volume front that the speaker for calls is on the right side of the grill if you're looking at the screen. I shifted my ear placement and all was good. The actual speaker for music and such also kinda sucks but i dont use that much. Other than that this phone is great. Its so quick and the screen is fantastic. I'm not a big picture guy so the camera works just fine for me. Hope this helps with your decision.

Last edited by a moderator:

xoomer1

May 6, 2011
Visit site
the call volume is low when you get the phone, you just need to turn it up, I tried everything until when in a call, I used the rocker and it was only at half way, turning it up while in a call is what fixed it for me.

overall I love the phone, I have had the OG droid, x and razr then switched to the galaxy s4..hated that, glad to be back to moto droid

I'm considering the Droid Turbo as well.
The call volume issue seems to be inconsistent. Some people report it is low, others say it's loud.

1Coopgt

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
Loving my Turbo so far . Call volume is fine . Camera is awesome so far . Battery seems to be getting better . I was having trouble with the e-mail app but I think I've got that licked now . Did I mention the phone is fast ? This phone is fast even comparing it to my S5.

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
I'm happy with my Droid Turbo. The call volume is fine for me and the camera is great in normal lighting. However, low light photos can be a little grainy. But I don't take much photos in low light situations.

Overall, yes, I'm happy with my phone. As long as you remember that the phone isn't powered by unicorn kisses and sunshine, you'll like it as well.

LaskoFan

Nov 4, 2014
Visit site
Golfer,
Thanks for posting this. I have been lurking about a week and have one on order through my company. It is a waiting game at this point. I was getting the same vibe and started second guessing my decision. I am glad to see the positive responses. Now I just need to get my hands on my new phone. Thanks again to all and I look forward visiting this fine forum going forward.

hal1

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
Marginal improvement from my Maxx. BUT, the Maxx was a huge improvement (new toy factor) from my S3