Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Is anyone concerned about being orphaned?

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Hi,

I currently have a Droid DNA and am looking to upgrade. The Turbo looks like a great phone and is on the short list. However, since it is a single carrier phone I am wondering if will get "orphaned" like the DNA.

With the DNA we suffered through very slow updates. 4 or 5 months after phones like the Galaxy were upgraded we received updates. And then there is the apathy of the people at Verizon towards the phone. When you ask them a question (I know I should not. but sometimes ...) the response is something like "Oh, you have one of those. We don't sell many so I don't know much about them". Does anyone have these concern about the Turbo?

There is also the whole issue with Lenovo buying Motorola and shutting down the Motorola plant. Maybe Lenovo has something else they want to push as a top end phone, something that will work on multiple carriers ....

Jerry

brandonx1000

rule the air.
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Re: Is anyone concerned about being orphaned?

I think the 2013 Droids all received 4.4 pretty close to the Moto X. Right now, they're all on 4.4.4

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site

The 2013 Droid's were very fast updates. I'm not concerned about L or any serious bug fixes. Will we get 5.1 quickly 12 mo from now? I dunno

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site

The 2012 Droids received an update to kitkat this may as well. The 2013 Droids were the second non-Nexus phone to get Kitkat, after only the Moto X.

Verizon and Motorola said last year that updates and support would be better going forward. It has been.

That doesn't guarantee anything, but i suspect that this phone will be wee supported and received timely updates.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site

With the DNA we suffered through very slow updates. 4 or 5 months after phones like the Galaxy were upgraded we received updates.

While this is always a concern, in a way you're comparing apples to oranges. Even though Verizon can often drag it's feet on releasing updates, they can't hold back what doesn't exist. Obviously the Galaxy are extremely popular which does help to ensure that Samsung supports them with updates, but neither Samsung nor Verizon had any control over when or if HTC would provide updates for the DNA.

Since Motorola was purchased by Google, they have generally been VERY good about releasing timely updates for their phones (it helps that Moto phones run pretty much vanilla Google Android). Granted, Google no longer owns Motorola, but the trend seems to still be in place...so hopefully it stays that way.

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site

Since Motorola was purchased by Google, they have generally been VERY good about releasing timely updates for their phones (it helps that Moto phones run pretty much vanilla Google Android). Granted, Google no longer owns Motorola, but the trend seems to still be in place...so hopefully it stays that way.

Let's hope so. But Lenovo just showed a loss in phone revenue and the stock price got hammered with a 5.1% decrease. Hopefully the Motorola acquisition will help, but the CEO of Lenovo said "Smartphone revenue was not that exciting, it was a little bit of a problem" so I suspect job and cost cuts are in the Motorola brand's future ala Microsoft's take over of the Nokia smartphone business. The CEO has committed to having Motorola profitable in 1 year.

Liquidretro

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site

I think your concerns are valid. Rumor is that it will come out on other carriers but those will be slightly tweaked version etc. I stopped in and looked at them today as I am being forced to upgrade due to a failure and not sure if I will pick a turbo or Note 4 tonight.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

This is Motorola. Not HTC.

doggy2965

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site

I haven't found any of the last few updates to be groundbreaking I think the hardware is more important.

Posted via Android Central App

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site

Business as usual.

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)

Maybe. Remember the CEO has committed to make the company profitable in 12 months. I see cost cutting real soon.

jec11718

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
I used a DNA for 19 months....this turbo is the cats pajamas!!! No worries this one isn't getting left behind.

Posted via the Android Central App

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Maybe. Remember the CEO has committed to make the company profitable in 12 months. I see cost cutting real soon.

Lenovo has taken the businesses that IBM built and made them even more successful. I'm confident they'll do the same for Motorola. Motorola's quick updates have been a bright spot. I doubt Lenovo will want to change that.

iamtron

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site

After being burned with the original Droid, this was definitely a concern for me. With the original Driod, it was only a few months in when VZW did an update that locked the bootloader. After that, they never did another update to the phone. Haven't touched a Droid since. Before I bought the Turbo, I looked at what has happened with the recent Droids. They appeared to be getting updates and pretty timely. I decided to take a gamble hoping that continues. But I definitely understand and share your concern.

CarbonOak

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site

Lenovo has taken the businesses that IBM built and made them even more successful. I'm confident they'll do the same for Motorola. Motorola's quick updates have been a bright spot. I doubt Lenovo will want to change that.

Despite being bummed that Google sold off Motorola to Lenovo, I'm confident that Motorola will continue to succeed and produce timely updates under Lenovo's hands. The Lenovo laptop (formerly IBM) line is a great example; my brother bought one of their Y series laptops over a year ago and it's great.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FarajWala800