Droid Turbo Nits

edison2012

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Had the Turbo for a week now. No trouble reloading apps from the Play Store, messages using Migrate, and contacts using Gmail.

Coming from the Droid Maxx (and Razr Maxx) so I'm familiar with the Maxx ecosystem. Not concerned about the Active Display pulsing, that's not an issue for me. I give all my important people individual notification sounds and icon colors so I know if it's an important TXT or not. Same with distinct ringtones for family members or friends. Same with emails. I don't miss the notification light at all. Night mode let's me sleep without interruption.

Now for specific issues with the Turbo. Moto Voice seems to have taken a step backwards. Had the annonying "Opening Google" message for a few days until I rolled back the Moto Voice update. Moto Voice would not say my name when I made a query. I edited my Google+ settings so my phone now calls me by my nickname instead of my formal name. This also allowed me to insert my chosen photo on that settings menu page you get when you pull the menu down with the two-finger salute. Sometimes I get "Hello Jim," sometimes I get "Hey there, the time is..." Doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason as to which I get.

The biggest annoyance is the "What's Up" command. Probably 80 percent of the time the response is a Google search screen showing me the "What's App" program instead of reading my notifications. The "Read Notifications" command works every time from the lock screen. I'm just used to saying what's up.

Voice volume on calls seems low. Turned off the audio effects command. Will also try the holding the phone lower so the speaker is level with the ear technique I just read today.

Dialer display issues. The Maxx allowed you to display certain phone numbers only (Gmail contact only). Now I have a number of duplicates which I must have had stored on my Maxx. I guess I'll have to go through my list and manually erase the duplicates.

I had Google voice search from any screen set up, but I must have bollixed it up (same at fubar I think) during my tweaking and now it won't let me set it up from any screen. Works fine if I hit the microphone icon. Motor Voice and Google don't seem to work as well together.

Calendar... I use aCalendar because I like the way it displays my items. Works fine if I search using the Google microphone, but not using Moto Voice. I may get one in ten correct inquires using Moto Voice, otherwise it just takes me to a listing of calendar apps.

Cases... The Verizon shell/holster unit fits without any issue. Some folks had suggested the BN version was larger and might not fit. Still awaiting a glass screen protector.

Finally, I've done a lot of tweaking and playing and basically using the hell out of this phone (BN 64) so it's hard to judge the battery life. I don't think it's any better than my DM, but I'll have to wait until I get back to normal usage. Hard to say with me flipping it on every few minutes to try something new, or tweak a setting.

Low light photos seem better, but I haven't taken enough to really judge. I know my DM sucked in this department.

edison

ancientdroid

Oct 25, 2014
Visit site
Now for specific issues with the Turbo. Moto Voice seems to have taken a step backwards. Had the annonying "Opening Google" message for a few days until I rolled back the Moto Voice update. Moto Voice would not say my name when I made a query. I edited my Google+ settings so my phone now calls me by my nickname instead of my formal name. This also allowed me to insert my chosen photo on that settings menu page you get when you pull the menu down with the two-finger salute. Sometimes I get "Hello Jim," sometimes I get "Hey there, the time is..." Doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason as to which I get.

A couple of follows-up here:

1 - The new Moto Voice update (from a day or so ago) fixed the issue where it would announce "opening google" so there was no need to revert back

2 - I was annoyed that my photo didn't exist when I two finger swiped as well. I figured out how to get it back. In Google + go to Settings --> Account Settings --> Contacts. Check off the 'Keep contacts up to date' option. That will pull the photo from your Google+ profile. The unfortunate side effect is that it will also put Google Plus contacts in your address book. You can remove them by opening the People app, click on the Menu and select 'Contacts to display'. Then just select your 'Google' contacts or customize if you want your 'Google' contacts plus others from your company email account, etc.

ancientdroid

Oct 25, 2014
Visit site
Dialer display issues. The Maxx allowed you to display certain phone numbers only (Gmail contact only). Now I have a number of duplicates which I must have had stored on my Maxx. I guess I'll have to go through my list and manually erase the duplicates.

For this see point 2 in my post above and reference the section for the 'People' app which you can choose what to display. You can no longer do it directly from the Dialer app, you have to open the 'People' app.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon