DROID TURBO: What was your prior phone?

keegh

Mar 20, 2014
Visit site
I didn't see a thread on this so figured I'd start one.

What phone did everyone have before the Turbo and are you happy so far?

For me I'll be the odd man out and state I had a BlackBerry Q10 before the Turbo(s3 prior to q10). I loved my Q10 but the lack of real apps slowly started to take a toll of me, I found myself using my tablet for certain apps more and more over the past few months. Even though I could download apk's and whatnot most didn't work well with the Q10 screen.

I'm enjoying my Turbo like crazy but still miss the BlackBerry HUB the most, I'm still hoping that Verizon and app developers play nice over the next year or 2 and I can switch back down the road.

dungoyle

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Re: Prior phone

Galaxy S3, which was the poster child for planned obsolescence in my case. It was a dog by the time my 2 year contract was up (granted a factory reset may have solved many of my issues, but the heck with that -- I was qualified for a new phone!). The original HTC EVO before that which remains my favorite smart phone experience of all time (based on then-existing technology; I must have loaded 50 ROMs on that thing -- it had great developer support).

bizzyqu

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

For me I'll be the odd man out and state I had a BlackBerry Q10 before the Turbo(s3 prior to q10). I loved my Q10 but the lack of real apps slowly started to take a toll of me, I found myself using my tablet for certain apps more and more over the past few months. Even though I could download apk's and whatnot most didn't work well with the Q10 screen.

I'm enjoying my Turbo like crazy but still miss the BlackBerry HUB the most, I'm still hoping that Verizon and app developers play nice over the next year or 2 and I can switch back down the road.

pretty much all this but replace "Q10" with Z30. Might get BlackBerry classic when it comes out in December (hopefully) as a second phone.

Littlejoe919

Nov 2, 2014
Visit site

I'll be moving from a Razor M. My last 2 phones before that where both BlackBerries, the Style (loved that phone) and a Curve.

hannsoft

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site

Relieved and reformed HTC Droid DNA owner. Thunderbolt and Eris before that. Absolutely thrilled with the Turbo. Magnificent phone.

Sent from my Droid Turbo using Tapatalk

BlueBlazer60

Oct 8, 2014
Visit site

When those of you who have purchased early have all the bugs worked out and answers to all the issues, I will retire my Razr M. It has been suggesting it is time for the last month.

Bamzilla

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site

I had a Galaxy Nexus from release date. I had been updating it with Shiny Rom and it was great for almost 3 years other than battery life. The Turbo is amazing so far though

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

mightyfacundo

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site

Relieved and reformed HTC Droid DNA owner. Thunderbolt and Eris before that. Absolutely thrilled with the Turbo. Magnificent phone.

Sent from my Droid Turbo using Tapatalk

What's up hannsoft? I also had the Bolt and the DNA and am very happy with this phone.

Posted via the Android Central App

Xelios

Oct 27, 2014
Visit site

Razr Maxx HD. I'm very satisfied with the Turbo, although it took me two replacements to get here. Not a complaint anymore.

Cajun_Mike

Sep 5, 2014
Visit site

I will be going from a S3 to the Turbo next Thursday, which is the day my two year contract is up. I am to the point of counting hours. I am so sick of this S3 you have no idea. I was happy with it for the first year or so but the last six months have been brutal. Battery life is pathetic, phone just turns off on it's own. Battery indicator says i have 30 percent when in reality the battery is dead.

Best phone i have owened relative to the time it was out was the Galaxy Epic 4G slider. .. Which still works and i will be trading it for that Verizon special next week. ;)

-Myk-

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site

HTC Droid DNA which I got the day it was release. That phone was a great phone, I hope the Turbo Lasts as long and works as well

anon(1733)

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site

For me I had the Note 4. Before that the iPhone 6, G3, iPhone 5s, blackberry Q10. And that's since July of 2014. Yes I have issues. Lol. But the Turbo for me bests them all. Love this thing.

mobrules

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site

RAZR Maxx HD. So far pretty pleased with the phone. I was worried about getting good battery life. But so far it matches it easily.

nicholasdejohn

May 8, 2011
Visit site

S5 myself. Like some of the features of it. If I can get the battery life up to par on the Turbo I will be just as happy.

Posted via the Android Central App

wolf_walker

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site

S4, which was a very logical progression from the S3 before it other than they have yet to unlock the bootloader, if it was I'd have
probly kept it longer. In fact I still have it.

The turbo is a nice moderate upgrade in some areas, battery obviously though the S4 consistently impressed with it's life given a little care,
the screen size up is nice, not-touch-wiz is nice though I've used either the Google Now launcher or Nova for a long while on the GS4, but I do
miss some of the TouchWiz shortcuts and have had to go find widgets for them on the DT. The DT camera is not better exactly, or not all the time,
it's just different. One leg up is the stinking samsung can't adjust balance and such to a selected point on the screen, one has to re-frame the shot.
Not insurmountable but annoying, the DT can, and it takes HDR photos much faster, and it has slo-mo video which is pretty neat. Otherwise with a lot of back to back shots I'm having a really hard time picking a clear winner. The GS4 has noticeably superior wifi and bluetooth range/sensitivity, both are repeatedly demonstrable. The DT screen color temp and such is more pleasing to me but that's subjective and the GS4 was not bad, not perfect of course but not bad. And the GS4 is easier to one hand, top left is far away on the DT for my thumb. As much junk has been talked about it, the non-phone-call audio is vastly superior in all ways on the DT compared to the little speaker on the BACK of the GS4. It's sufficient, but not pleasant.
People call the DT "tinny" in audio, they should listen to a GS3 or GS4, the DT is a large upgrade and I'd be willing to put my dB meter on it and prove it if anyone is that curious. I had some issue with the on call ear volume as well but I see what they did with speaker position and will experiment more later, though even before it was acceptable, just not great. I think it's software fixable myself.

I'm not super disappointed at the DT, but I don't think it's a $300 upgrade at all. More like $150 if I had to put a dollar sign on it.
I still have my GS4 on wifi here at home and I pick one up instead of the other now and again and I don't find myself feeling that
I'm missing anything using the GS4 which isn't a good sign for the DT. I can't help but think I could have saved a few bucks and got
a screen upgrade, more processor and memory and a wee more battery going with the GS5 and just continued to ignore all the goofy
Samsung/TouchWiz stuff, and if they ever unlock the bootloader on either I'll be thrilled.

All that said, I had a pretty pleasant day with the DT yesterday, streamed a bunch of music outside and it was plenty loud, took some really nice
pics both close up of flowers in the garden and some neat slo-mo video of the dogs and a couple great pics with challenging lighting of the wife doing her
garden thing, and it managed to more or less maintain wifi connection and upload the pics to my NAS by the time I was back inside despite it's very marginal reception out that far. So I'm not hating it at least. The hassle of returning might be enough to make me keep it.
I really, really wish the Nexus 6 was a Nexus 5.2 or 5.5 though, but it isn't, so.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar