DROID TURBO: What was your prior phone?

PretoEvo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Re: Prior phone

Have a Moto X on Sprint right now (my first Android device). Before that, an iPhone 4S that I liked,but never loved, and before that a Palm Pre (which I will sadly be trading in for my $100 credit).

Xelios

Oct 27, 2014
Visit site

Do mean you're on your third Turbo on a week? If so, why?

Yeah. I'll attribute it to first production run issues, but the first one I had had a screen issue right above the capacitive keys, a slight purple tint. Basically looked like someone pressed on the screen too hard. The second one had absolutely atrocious battery life and the nylon was fraying really bad. This third one has been great though.

Codger1212

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site

Came from a Droid Maxx. I really liked that phone but love having a front facing speaker. (even if the sound quality isn't great) The phones are quite similar which I knew going in. Hoping Lollipop improves a thing or 2 but overall, happy.

Furt

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site

been messing with other phones OS's. Blackberry Z10, Lumia 1520 and 635, and a Note 2 for comparison. I ended up going back to Verizon and grabbing the Turbo when the new data plans came out. Also I still have that Motorola Credit Line so it made sense for cases and whatnot. grabbed a Moto 360 on that credit line which needs android anyway.

Tom Furlan

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site

Coming from a Droid Maxx. I'm happy, but not overwhelmed. I thought the Maxx was a great phone, so maybe I shouldn't expect too much more from the Turbo. This is more of an incremental evolution of the Maxx. While the specs are better for the Turbo, I never had performance issues with the Maxx, so I'm not seeing a big difference there. The screen is a little bigger, but I have to hold them side by side to really notice any difference in size, and the phone itself does not seem bigger in a practical way. I've seen reviews knocking the "warmer" display of the Turbo, but I think its actually an improvement over the overly-cool screen on the Maxx and other phones I've seen. (I think people have gotten caught up in the unnatural "showroom effect" that big box stores put on their TVs). The camera is an improvement - Its nice to be able to zoom in on pictures without them getting pixelated, and low light shots seem better... I like a couple of the Moto software/sensor improvements, like being able to wave over the phone to silence calls. I was looking forward to being able to create a custom "OK Google" launch phrase, but was severely disappointed in the limitations of the software in this case. I ended up using OK Google because its what I'm used to, but it just sounds stupid to me. Wish I could use less syllables. So far, battery life does not seem any better than the Maxx, but I have spent a lot of time getting the phone set up, so its not fair to compare. I will say the Turbo charger seems amazing, as I have just used it for the first time, and it charged from about 30 percent to 100 very quickly. QI charging was slow last night. If you have a Maxx, this is a recommended upgrade, but not a necessary one. If you're coming form something other than a Maxx, you probably can't go wrong.

wckesq

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site

Had a Droid Mini. Battery wouldn't get me anywhere near through the day. Loved the size though.

IamMasterChat

Aug 31, 2014
Visit site

I'l like to participate even though I'm didn't grab a Turbo yet. My phone prior to my HTC One was Samsung model forgotten bought in 2009.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

Galaxy S5 and I'm glad its gone. One of the worst phones I've had on years but not the worst ever. That goes to the Blackberry Storm... Gross

Sent from my Motorola Droid Turbo

Ggoblue

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site

Droid 4. Before that the big blackberry. I loved typing on a hard keyboard. Oh well time to move on. I am loving this Turbo and I got what I really wanted... An all day battery life. 😀

Posted via the Android Central App

BlueLions81

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site

Coming from a Droid Maxx. I'm happy, but not overwhelmed. I thought the Maxx was a great phone, so maybe I shouldn't expect too much more from the Turbo. This is more of an incremental evolution of the Maxx. While the specs are better for the Turbo, I never had performance issues with the Maxx, so I'm not seeing a big difference there. The screen is a little bigger, but I have to hold them side by side to really notice any difference in size, and the phone itself does not seem bigger in a practical way. I've seen reviews knocking the "warmer" display of the Turbo, but I think its actually an improvement over the overly-cool screen on the Maxx and other phones I've seen. (I think people have gotten caught up in the unnatural "showroom effect" that big box stores put on their TVs). The camera is an improvement - Its nice to be able to zoom in on pictures without them getting pixelated, and low light shots seem better... I like a couple of the Moto software/sensor improvements, like being able to wave over the phone to silence calls. I was looking forward to being able to create a custom "OK Google" launch phrase, but was severely disappointed in the limitations of the software in this case. I ended up using OK Google because its what I'm used to, but it just sounds stupid to me. Wish I could use less syllables. So far, battery life does not seem any better than the Maxx, but I have spent a lot of time getting the phone set up, so its not fair to compare. I will say the Turbo charger seems amazing, as I have just used it for the first time, and it charged from about 30 percent to 100 very quickly. QI charging was slow last night. If you have a Maxx, this is a recommended upgrade, but not a necessary one. If you're coming form something other than a Maxx, you probably can't go wrong.
Thanks Tom. I currently have the Droid Maxx and I'm unsure about getting the Turbo. I played with a Turbo at Verizon and didn't see much of a difference outside of the display. How's the 4G signal and WIFI signal in comparison to the Maxx? It seemed like my Maxx got better 4G signal than the Turbo at Verizon. I'm leaning towards sticking with the Maxx until the 2015 Droid comes out, but I'm still undecided. I just don't know if it's worth it for me to update since I still have 11 months on my contract to go. If I was due for an upgrade it would be a no brainer. I like the Maxx a lot and have no problems with it so I don't even know if I need a new phone right now.

Sent from my XT1080

Tom Furlan

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site

Its hard to compare the 4G here at home, I always get a week signal here, but I think they are similar. My WiFi signal seems about the same, but my WiFi speeds are definitely faster with the turbo than on the Maxx. I had 2 of them because I needed and insurance replacement, and they were both slower on wifi than the Turbo is.

anon(5484072)

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
Came from a Droid Maxx. I really liked that phone but love having a front facing speaker. (even if the sound quality isn't great)

Agreed 100% on the speaker. Back speakers are stupid and hard to use.

I came from a RAZR Maxx HD. I loved that phone. Great battery life, although I think the battery may have been deteriorating. I'm hoping for root and boot loader unlock, custom roms are about the only thing I miss.

In comparison, though, battery life isn't as good, but speed, screen, camera, and radios are all improved. I love the Turbo so far. I'm looking forward to lolli improvements.

codyfred85

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
I'm coming from the G3. I activated my 2013 Moto X and traded that in to join the Edge program.
So far I'm happy with the switch. I could have done with out the capacitive buttons but I'll live.

Let's just hope the camera improves with the update!

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Coming from a Maxx, I'm also not overwhelmed by the Turbo. It does somethings faster which is nice. I really can't tell much of a difference in the screen, even when I compare them side by side. 1080p would have been sooooo plenty fine. No need for the 4k stuff. The camera still kinda sucks. It is a little better. Battery life was better on my Maxx. The rubbery kevlar was more grippy on the Maxx, although the rounded back on the Turbo makes it feel a little smaller in the hand. The front facing speaker is definitely better as are a few of the other new features like waving your hand over it and it recognizing you are looking at it. Overall definitely seems like an incremental improvement.

camachinist

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
Moto M385

Still getting used to the bigger thing in my pocket or on the tool belt but it's convenient. Double my monthly bill convenient? We'll see.

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site

My last few phones are as follows-

Palm Pre, Motorola Droid, Droid X, iPhone 4, Galaxy S3, Note 2, Note 3, Note 4, Droid Turbo.

After having so many Samsung devices in a row, I wanted to try some pure Android for a change. Can't wait for Lollipop!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
armeniomanuel