Hi! I've decided to buy a droid turbo. My line in a family plan is currently unlimited while I have an upgrade available on another limited line. Would I be able to walk into a verizon store and have that limited line upgraded and walk out of the store without having the new phone activated? That way I would be able to easily swap my old sim into the new device. Thanks!
    11-07-2014 10:14 PM
    Hi! I've decided to buy a droid turbo. My line in a family plan is currently unlimited while I have an upgrade available on another limited line. Would I be able to walk into a verizon store and have that limited line upgraded and walk out of the store without having the new phone activated? That way I would be able to easily swap my old sim into the new device. Thanks!
    I've heard of people doing it, but I dunno if your particular store will let you. I think it's really up to them. Probably manager's discretion or something.
    11-07-2014 10:57 PM
    Yes you can. I did. Just tell them you want to just use the upgrade for the line that is limited. Then walk out in the parking lot and call customer service and switch the Turbo to the unlimited line. But don't tell them in the store because some will refuse to sell you the phone. Happened to me so I had to go to a different store. But yes you can do it.
    11-07-2014 11:30 PM
    Exactly. Switching is super easy, so no reason for explaining anything at the store.

via AC App on VZW Moto X DE/N7
    11-08-2014 12:02 AM
    I went to two different stores, and called 4 others. No Verizon corporate store in NY will now let you walk out of the store without having it activated first. I tried telling them it was a Christmas gift for someone, etc. etc. At every location I spoke to the manager as well. They simply don't do it anymore. Best you can do is order online or a 3rd party if you want to buy an unactivated phone.
    11-08-2014 12:57 AM
    I actually went into a corporate store on Long island NY, the day of release and told the salesman I wanted to buy the phone off contract (unlimited plan). He said they don't usually sell phones without plans and a manager was standing there and told me they would have to activate it before I left. I told them I had to go to work from there and didn't want to activate it until I was home that evening. Once the salesman went and got the phone in the back the manager left and when he returned with the phone he could not get into the system to sell the phone off contract without a supervisors login. Lucky for me it was a different manager that came and logged in and didn't know that I was buying it off contract. Once in the system the salesman looked and told me that they could actually sell it without activating. Lucky for me I swiped my card and left the store with a fresh red turbo on molested by a Verizon employee lol....but it wasn't easy.

Posted via Android Central App
    11-08-2014 08:35 AM
    Sounds like it is two different items getting merged here. They WILL let you buy a phone off contract without activating, but it is against Verizon policy to let you upgrade a line with UDP without them doing it in store. That is why everyone uses the BB trick to ship to home.
    11-08-2014 11:47 AM
    at least in the stores around me, they make it have to be activated on the line you upgraded it on prior to leaving the store. Think that is dumb, but I can see why they do it, even though you are upgrading and giving them 2 more years (atleast) of service.
    11-08-2014 11:59 AM
    I went to two different stores, and called 4 others. No Verizon corporate store in NY will now let you walk out of the store without having it activated first. I tried telling them it was a Christmas gift for someone, etc. etc. At every location I spoke to the manager as well. They simply don't do it anymore. Best you can do is order online or a 3rd party if you want to buy an unactivated phone.
    Just another reason I avoid those stores at all cost. Ordering online sucks because you have to wait for it to ship, but less of a hassle than dealing with the verizon reps in store.
    11-08-2014 12:00 PM
    I actually went into a corporate store on Long island NY, the day of release and told the salesman I wanted to buy the phone off contract (unlimited plan). He said they don't usually sell phones without plans and a manager was standing there and told me they would have to activate it before I left. I told them I had to go to work from there and didn't want to activate it until I was home that evening. Once the salesman went and got the phone in the back the manager left and when he returned with the phone he could not get into the system to sell the phone off contract without a supervisors login. Lucky for me it was a different manager that came and logged in and didn't know that I was buying it off contract. Once in the system the salesman looked and told me that they could actually sell it without activating. Lucky for me I swiped my card and left the store with a fresh red turbo on molested by a Verizon employee lol....but it wasn't easy.

Posted via Android Central App
    So you got lucky and got a rep that went against protocol. Curious though, what store? I'm on LI and Hicksville wouldn't even sell me full retail even with in store activation because of my UDP (which is NOT corporate policy just an incompetent store). I had to go to Manhasset but they still made me activate it there.
    11-08-2014 12:47 PM
    It was the corporate store in Merrick. They did ask why I didn't go to best buy because they usually give better deals on full retail. I told them best buy didn't have the phone yet and it was $50 more. I was the first one to buy the turbo that morning and I did get lucky the rep gave me the phone after the manager left. Even though we discussed that I had an unlimited plan. I usually do go to best buy, but I when I stopped by a few days later looking for screen protectors, they told me they didn't even have the phone yet. Corporate was the only choice.

Posted via the Android Central App
    11-08-2014 02:56 PM
    My gf tried two different verizon stores trying to buy the turbo off contract. They refused and even tried to tell her she had to sign an edge contract vs normal two year, AND had to buy a 50 dollar case for it! Needless to say she bought it online instead. Online sales chat rep told her to just order it and cancel the plan attached once it arrived. Should be here soon I'll post on how that goes.

War. Damn. Eagle.
    11-10-2014 08:33 AM
    It was the corporate store in Merrick. They did ask why I didn't go to best buy because they usually give better deals on full retail. I told them best buy didn't have the phone yet and it was $50 more. I was the first one to buy the turbo that morning and I did get lucky the rep gave me the phone after the manager left. Even though we discussed that I had an unlimited plan. I usually do go to best buy, but I when I stopped by a few days later looking for screen protectors, they told me they didn't even have the phone yet. Corporate was the only choice.

Posted via the Android Central App
    in my experience, direct from verizon is always the lowest cost for full retail purchases.
    11-10-2014 09:32 AM
    My gf tried two different verizon stores trying to buy the turbo off contract. They refused and even tried to tell her she had to sign an edge contract vs normal two year, AND had to buy a 50 dollar case for it! Needless to say she bought it online instead. Online sales chat rep told her to just order it and cancel the plan attached once it arrived. Should be here soon I'll post on how that goes.

War. Damn. Eagle.
    RTR.....and Gig 'Em lol
    11-10-2014 10:02 AM