I had originally posted this in another thread but decided it needed its own.

When I was in the store buying 3 of them, a kid came in trying to get his pictures transferred from his two day old, cracked Droid Turbo.

I assumed it was an isolated incident, but today, my wife dropped hers in the bathroom, from toilet seat height, onto a linoleum floor, and now we're going to be using our one time screen replacement in the first week of ownership.

I'm trying to explain to her that just about any phone screen will crack if you drop it exactly right. I know of plenty of people who drop their phones all the time with no cracked screens where someone else with the exact same phone can drop it just right and shatter it all to pieces.

I'm trying to convince her that we should keep it until it is more severely damaged, since they only replace it once, but she says that a brand new phone shouldn't already be broken, and I'm finding it hard to disagree with her.

Posted via the Android Central App powered by Droid Turbo
    11-08-2014 04:05 PM
    UPDATE: We left the phone sitting on the table and when we came back and checked a notification, the small crack across the bottom of the screen had expanded and now a branch runs all the way up the left side and into the middle of the screen.

11-08-2014 04:10 PM
    People shouldn't be surprised by the screens breaking when they are dropped. Look at the front of the phone the glass display reaches to the edge of the phone on both sides and the top edge . If the phone falls and hits any of those edged the shock can migrate into the display glass . Gorilla Glass 3 isn't indestructible even thought the chassis's maybe .
    11-08-2014 08:47 PM
    I still can't believe people are surprised that phone screens can break from any height dropping at any angle on any surface. Its glass.
    11-08-2014 09:49 PM
    Yeah this shouldn't be surprising. Just because it's new doesn't mean it's not going to be fragile. Sucks that it happened to you though.
    11-09-2014 01:18 AM
    This happens with every new phone on every forum. People get the phone. Drop it. Screen breaks then they state my old phone never broke. It is luck people. It all depends on how you drop the phone. I have dropped the turbo a few times now. In case and with out and so far it is fine.

Maybe I'll start a thread on how indestructible the turbo is.

Not being mean or rude. I'm just saying it really just depends on how it falls. Nothing more. Looks at every yes every forum on here. You will see the same results. Same on the iPhone forum.
    11-09-2014 01:47 AM
    I had originally posted this in another thread but decided it needed its own.

When I was in the store buying 3 of them, a kid came in trying to get his pictures transferred from his two day old, cracked Droid Turbo.

I assumed it was an isolated incident, but today, my wife dropped hers in the bathroom, from toilet seat height, onto a linoleum floor, and now we're going to be using our one time screen replacement in the first week of ownership.

I'm trying to explain to her that just about any phone screen will crack if you drop it exactly right. I know of plenty of people who drop their phones all the time with no cracked screens where someone else with the exact same phone can drop it just right and shatter it all to pieces.

I'm trying to convince her that we should keep it until it is more severely damaged, since they only replace it once, but she says that a brand new phone shouldn't already be broken, and I'm finding it hard to disagree with her.

Whether a device is a day old or 210 days old, if you drop it the screen in liable to crack. There's no guarantee of perfection that's why insurance is suggested.
    11-09-2014 02:03 AM
    Maybe I'll start a thread on how indestructible the turbo is.
    Please do. The only anecdotal evidence I have is related to the screen breaking without much force. I'd love to read other reports of the screen not breaking with a large amount of force applied.

This way, people can make an informed decision about the phone. Mine is still pristine, & I wouldn't trade it for anything.

11-09-2014 04:46 AM
    Please do. The only anecdotal evidence I have is related to the screen breaking without much force. I'd love to read other reports of the screen not breaking with a large amount of force applied.

This way, people can make an informed decision about the phone. Mine is still pristine, & I wouldn't trade it for anything.

But that's the thing like I said there is no informed decision to be made here. It all depends on how it falls. Nothing more. It is not even quality it is not device design. It really is how it falls.

Check every other forum. I have seen it on each one from when I had the G3 to the iPhone 6 the Note 4. Some one post a thread exactly like this saying the screen broke without much force and is or a sign that it is cheap.

I say it in each one. The answer is no. The screen is not cheaply made. The build quality is not flawed. It really depend on how device lands when it falls. I wish I had a scientific answer for you but I don't. It all comes down to luck.
    11-09-2014 09:53 AM
    Check every other forum. I have seen it on each one from when I had the G3 to the iPhone 6 the Note 4. Some one post a thread exactly like this saying the screen broke without much force and is or a sign that it is cheap.
    Regardless, that's no reason not to share my experience on a community forum. I've already said in my original post everything these comments have said about luck, angles, etc.

Hopefully there's no real issue, and we're thrilled the screen will be repaired for free, but if everyone just assumed that any issues they had were common and never discussed them, we'd never know if there were manufacturing or design defects with any device.

I get speaking for the side of reason but that doesn't invalidate my original statements. The phone slid out of her pocket while she was using the toilet, and came to rest mere inches away on the linoleum (soft plastic) flooring with less force than I might place my phone on a tabletop in a hurry.

That being said, my phone has fallen off my lap onto hardwood flooring multiple times with zero effect. I honestly believe the screen assurance was inspired by some bad batches of screens that were already RTM, but that could just be the Witch Hunter in me.

11-09-2014 01:34 PM
    Regardless, that's no reason not to share my experience on a community forum. I've already said in my original post everything these comments have said about luck, angles, etc.

Hopefully there's no real issue, and we're thrilled the screen will be repaired for free, but if everyone just assumed that any issues they had were common and never discussed them, we'd never know if there were manufacturing or design defects with any device.

I get speaking for the side of reason but that doesn't invalidate my original statements. The phone slid out of her pocket while she was using the toilet, and came to rest mere inches away on the linoleum (soft plastic) flooring with less force than I might place my phone on a tabletop in a hurry.

That being said, my phone has fallen off my lap onto hardwood flooring multiple times with zero effect. I honestly believe the screen assurance was inspired by some bad batches of screens that were already RTM, but that could just be the Witch Hunter in me.

I mentioned it on another thread, but my phone fell extremely hard. It literally smashed onto the ground and I almost had a heart attack. I have no protection on my phone at all. There was no damage whatsoever. I consider it extremely lucky, but from my point of reference, you're then somewhat unlucky, because based on that one incident, there does not appear to be a problem with the phone's durability. You win some and you lose some.
    11-09-2014 02:04 PM
    Phone screens break when they hit the ground just right. This is why tempered glass screen protectors exist.
    11-09-2014 03:45 PM