12-18-2014 04:29 PM
28 12
tools
    Anyone notice that when you are connected to WiFi, you are STILL connected to mobile data? How do I get my Droid Turbo to disconnect mobile data when activating WiFi, and reactivate data when disconnecting WiFi? Only noticed this problem as I was analyzing my data usage over a 2 day period.

Posted via the Android Central App
    jesta192 likes this.
    11-08-2014 07:15 PM
    There's an app called WiFi Matic (the one by Prados - there are several with similar names) that will do this. It also turns off WiFi when you don't need it, which save a little battery.
    11-08-2014 07:47 PM
    I haven't had that issue on mine.
    11-08-2014 08:01 PM
    Anyone notice that when you are connected to WiFi, you are STILL connected to mobile data? How do I get my Droid Turbo to disconnect mobile data when activating WiFi, and reactivate data when disconnecting WiFi? Only noticed this problem as I was analyzing my data usage over a 2 day period.

So I'm not crazy? There is a serious problem with this (otherwise awesome) phone! Some of you may have unlimited data still, but I was forced to give it up a while ago, and this has increased my data usage 3-fold!

Disabling "Avoid poor connections" might help, but I've still seen the problem with this enabled. I'd lodge a complaint with Verizon in case you are overcharged for data usage...
    11-08-2014 09:51 PM

Just curious, how can you tell? My phone does the same thing as my old Razr HD, when I connect to wifi, it still shows the 4G LTE symbol next to the mobile network.
    11-09-2014 12:25 AM
    Data needs to remain on to send/receive MMS messages.

Ry likes this.
    11-09-2014 05:25 AM
    Go to settings, data usage, mobile data to off, wifi turn on. Hope that helps!!
    11-09-2014 06:08 AM
    Same problem here:
    WiFi is enabled
    WiFi is connected
    Mobile Data is "on"
    "Set mobile data limit" is selected
    "Alert me about data usage" is selected
    Set upper data limit to "45 MB" (I have 250MB plan per month. I've used droid phones for years, and always had a low data limit, so I'm accustomed to using just 5MB of data usage per day.)

Two strange things happen:
    1. It appears that I'm connecting to the wifi from home. There is no change in the amount of data usage on my settings screen. I do not pass the 45MB limit that I've self imposed.
    2. Verizon says that I'm using large amounts of data, and I've used over 160MB since I've had the phone for the past five days, though my phone screen says I haven't gone past 45 MB.

When I turn OFF the data while I'm at home, it appears that I actually am using the wifi and Verizon doesn't show that I'm using data. However, when I have the data turned ON at home, it neither uses the wifi, nor does it the Turbo device record the amount of data that I'm using.
    jesta192 likes this.
    11-09-2014 12:30 PM
    So when you are connected to WIFI your 4GLTE symbol is lit up white ? When on WIFI it and the meter should be grayed out . Have you tried doing a factory data reset yet ? You shouldn't panic yet .
    11-09-2014 05:58 PM
    I've noticed this same thing. It really pisses me off because I'm already at 90% of my data usage and the cycle starts over on Saturday. I didn't notice it at first, but now when I'm at home in wi-fi, i'll have to turn data usage off. Never had this problem with any other phone.
    11-10-2014 07:18 AM
    While connected to WiFi, the 4G is grayed out in the icon tray. (or whatever it's called at the top of the screen)
    Verizon 2nd tier Tech Support asked me to turn off wifi, forget the old connection, wait 10 seconds and reconnect the wifi.
    Also asked me to disable the poor connections.
    We'll see if this does the trick.
    Yesterday it billed me for 30+MB of data as I was sleeping at 3am.
    11-12-2014 11:08 PM

The AutomateIt app works good for this. Problem is some thing like visual voicemail will only run when mobile data is active. I think that's why it stays on standby in the background.

11-13-2014 03:23 AM
    anyone definitively resolve this problem? Im blowing through data. Verizon has been little help but is sending a referb phone replacement. If there is a fix Id rather do that than take a referb.
    11-18-2014 09:44 AM
    Has anybody checked is settings /Wifi, tap the menu control bottom right (three dots), tap advanced. Is "Keep WiFi on during sleep" set to Always, Never, or Only when plugged in? If it isn't set to always, the phone drops WiFi when the phone is sleeping (i.e., when the display is off but the phone is still on). You may also want to uncheck "avoid poor connections", as the phone could switch to mobile data if it thinks the WiFi connection is poor, such as when you're at the edge of your WiFi range.
    11-18-2014 10:30 AM
    See also http://forums.androidcentral.com/mot...ml#post4062619 Similar issue

Edit: Post from wheelerpr in the data usage thread.

"I just got off the phone with Verizon. It's a known issue with the DROID Turbo where is tracking wifi data as network data.

The guy I talked to said they have had so many calls that they are not even transferring people to tier 2 tech support anymore. It's flagged in their system and they are working with Moto to get a fix pushed out.

The guy I talked to also said I would not have to pay any data overages, but I asked him to note that in my account anyway. He also scheduled a follow up call with me towards the end of my billing cycle so he can credit back any overages. I suggest you all call and do the same thing.
    "
    doogald, jesta192 and jimlupi like this.
    11-18-2014 11:07 AM

This.

I've noticed this same thing. It really pisses me off because I'm already at 90% of my data usage and the cycle starts over on Saturday. I didn't notice it at first, but now when I'm at home in wi-fi, i'll have to turn data usage off. Never had this problem with any other phone.
    It shouldn't make you mad.. If you're on wifi it is using wifi and not your data plan.
    11-18-2014 12:06 PM
    I think it is amazing that 3 of our phones have used 1-2g and we just happen to have one phone with over 6g of data usage. Is there a way to shut the data off to this one phone, other then on the phone itself?
    11-20-2014 11:19 AM
    6 gigs of Mobile Data while connected to WiFi? That's like days of continuous of Netflix streaming - most people can't use up 6 gigs if they try even without WiFi. Something is seriously wrong with that phone. - Verizon should replace it and credit your data plan.
    11-21-2014 01:26 PM
    Verizon told me that it was a known issue and that Motorola was working an update. They gave me the work around from a tech lead that they say will work. Disconnect from WiFi, put phone in Airplane Mode, reconnect to WiFi and remove Airplane Mode. Should only have to do it once until the software update arrives.
    12-02-2014 11:59 AM

Not if you're using Verizon Messaging app, somehow they got it to receive/send with out needing network data or wifi turn on.
    I was testing because I wanted to toggle Data off to save battery, with Verizon Messaging I can now set my phone to turn data on only when screen is on and still get MMS at any time.
    12-02-2014 12:05 PM
    No, that's the point; even if I'm connected to wifi, the wifi data used adds to my total mobile data used. I talked to a Verizon rep and he said it's a known issue and a software issue is coming. He gave me 5 GBs free to get me through the period.
    12-02-2014 12:20 PM
    Any new developments anyone? I have burned 4gb in half a month because of what I believe to be the same issue.

12-06-2014 12:05 AM
    Just use Tasker and create a profile that disconnects your data connection when you're on WiFi. The "Exit Task" would be to establish a data connection once you leave your wifi.

12-06-2014 09:19 PM
    Just use Tasker and create a profile that disconnects your data connection when you're on WiFi. The "Exit Task" would be to establish a data connection once you leave your wifi.

Note that Verizon Visual Voicemail won't work at all while mobile data is turned off.
    12-06-2014 10:47 PM
    There is a software update coming down which, for me at least, seems to have solved the problem. Unfortunately, Verizon doesn't mention whether the problem was specifically addressed, but so far it's looking good.
    12-12-2014 10:29 AM
28 12