Anyone found a good car dock/mount yet?

NoahForeman

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
I am assuming Qi wireless won't charge this while navigating (too much draw) and will just help drain slower. So I am willing to go wired, though I was hoping not to.

Has anyone found a good wired or wireless car mount yet?

Posted via the Android Central App on my Droid Turbo.

mightyfacundo

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm using the same dock I used with my DNA. It's an iBolt dock that I picked up from Verizon, and it works great for me.

Posted via the Android Central App

NoahForeman

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
I'm using the same dock I used with my DNA. It's an iBolt dock that I picked up from Verizon, and it works great for me.

Posted via the Android Central App

Do you have to plug the Turbo in? I assume any port does not match up? I wonder if the Droid Maxx dock would match up at all....

mightyfacundo

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Do you have to plug the Turbo in? I assume any port does not match up? I wonder if the Droid Maxx dock would match up at all....

The ports match up. You plug the car charger into the dock and the dock into the Turbo if you want to charge it.

Posted via Android Central App

MA2GA28

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I have an iOttie Flex 3 on order. Just a cradle, not a true dock. Going to see how it works, since my car (05 Mazda 3s) has a curved/textured dash. So, might be an issue with it sticking (though some reviews say curved/textured dashes are actually good sufaces to use). Otherwise, putting it on my windshield would cause a visibility issue. I will report back once I receive it and test it out for a few days.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
The iOttie suction mount is incredible. It will not dislodge from anything I've tried so far. I had an Exogear mount that also said that it's mount was great, but it kept coming off the dash of our Highlander. I replaced it with an iOttie and it's stayed put ever since.

Nov 2, 2014
Visit site
I have an iOttie Flex 3 on order. Just a cradle, not a true dock. Going to see how it works, since my car (05 Mazda 3s) has a curved/textured dash. So, might be an issue with it sticking (though some reviews say curved/textured dashes are actually good sufaces to use). Otherwise, putting it on my windshield would cause a visibility issue. I will report back once I receive it and test it out for a few days.

Awesome, thanks.

Yeah, I have an Accord and was able to have my Razr M dock in the dash pocket, which is where I'd like to mount this, and have the arm extend just outside the pocket.

doggy2965

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
I have the powerbot qi charger from Amazon. Charges while nav is on just not very much but plug is convenient to switch if you want more juice.

Posted via Android Central App

mightyfacundo

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Mighty, is the charge plug on that dock reversible? Cuz you have to turn it 180 degrees going from the DNA to DT, no?

Sent from my Droid Turbo using Tapatalk

I haven't had to rotate it 180 degrees. I think the picture might be a little misleading. The car charger plugs in on the right side and has a plug coming out of the left side that plugs into the phone. Does that help or am I misunderstanding your question?

hannsoft

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
I haven't had to rotate it 180 degrees. I think the picture might be a little misleading. The car charger plugs in on the right side and has a plug coming out of the left side that plugs into the phone. Does that help or am I misunderstanding your question?
Not an important detail for sure, but what I was referring to was the fact that the mini - USB plug in the DT is reversed from how it was in the DNA. The male plug has to come into the phone rotated 180° from how it was in the DNA..

mightyfacundo

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Not an important detail for sure, but what I was referring to was the fact that the mini - USB plug in the DT is reversed from how it was in the DNA. The male plug has to come into the phone rotated 180° from how it was in the DNA..

I think I get it now. Sorry, long day of work. There's enough slack in the cord coming off the dock that I can twist it around to fit into the phone. Of course, I can also bypass the dock plug and just plug the car charger directly into the phone itself.

MA2GA28

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Received my iOttie Flex III today. Initial reaction is...meh.

The suction to my curved, slightly patterned dash is stellar (don't think it is going anywhere anytime soon). However, a few things about it's actual function:

- Holds the phone, but I wouldn't call it a snug fit. Because of the phone's rounded back and the vice-close button sticking out the back of the mount (more on that in a second), the phone is very wobbly in the doc. Do I think the phone will slip out of it? No. However, it is annoying when going to touch the screen and the phone is rocking back and forth with each press.
- It's awkward releasing the phone from the device. Earlier models of the iOttie appear to have compression wings to release the grip (press each wing inward, phone is released into your waiting palm). However, with the Flex III model, you need to manually open the vice arm. And if you don't hold the phone with your other hand, it will fall to the floor.
- Finally, the 'one-handed mount' mechanism comes down to a button in the middle of the back of the dock. Lock open the vice, push phone in with a bit of force, vice arm closes in to secure phone once button is compressed. This is all well-and-good, but since our phone is a bit large, the button doesn't fully depress when the phone is in the craddle (when the arms are completely closed or close to it, the button is flush with the back of the mount). Thus, you have a spring loaded button putting pressure on one spot on the back of the phone (which also leads to bullet point 1 issues). If you have the 32gb/Kevlar model, that might not be a concern. But I have the Ballistic Nylon model, and I can see the pressure of the button eventually leaving a permanent indentation in the BN backing.

I'll keep it and use it for a few days or so, and report back. But, initially, it appears that the search continues.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Not many people like the flex. I have the one touch xl, and I really like it. It's easy to cradle and remove the phone with one hand, and it hold the phone securely.

jive honky

Nov 12, 2014
Visit site
I am still using a razr maxx and would have already upgraded except I've spent a good deal of time and money researching and buying accessories that work well. I own 2 Motorola brand cradles that are custom to the maxx and a desktop dock that works very nicely which links it to usb and and hdmi all at once. The neat thing about the car cradle is that they come with a cord that has an audio out jack at the power plug so just by sliding down the micro usb plug on top of the cradle my phone can be instantly linked to audio in on whatever I chose. In and out of the cradle is a one hand operation. When it is in, there is no doubt and it is solid. I can even chose to put it in the cradle without linking it to power which has actually turned out to be very convenient. But plugging in occurs by just sliding down the plug and locking in the unit, also a slick one handed operation.

I don't even think Motorola makes cradles any more. I'm thinking when I upgrade I'm looking at a One m8 or a droid turbo or s5, but none of those phones have a custom cradle. Wouldn't it be a nice thing if Motorola came out with a new phone that fits all the accessories customers spent time and money accumulating... call it the razr maxx 2 or something. I just want a new phone that has more power, memory and isn't running like molasses uphill in January, and while I would have to sacrifice my existing cradles, send them to the landfill and spend the money all over again, I'd be willing to do it, but there are still no options. Unbelievable.

MA2GA28

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Not many people like the flex. I have the one touch xl, and I really like it. It's easy to cradle and remove the phone with one hand, and it hold the phone securely.

It gets reviews that are just as good as the other models. Plus, even the early models use the button lock mechanism, so it wouldn't really improve my happiness in that department. But, that's to be seen over the next few days or so.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Artistnos