Restart Issue "Android is upgrading..." Everytime

deesugar

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Every time I power the phone off and back on it thinks it's upgrading Android and takes a long time because it goes through Optimizing the apps. Anyone have a fix for this?

Thanks

Last edited:

deesugar

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Re: Restart Issue "Updating Android" Everytime

B. Diddy
I don't think that worked because it still went through the same process after restart. I was incorrect on the message at startup (which I've changed in my post). Upon booting up it says "Android is upgrading..." and goes through the Optimizing of apps.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site

You didn't happen to switch to the ART runtime? If so, that optimizing of apps on restart is a known issue.

deesugar

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site

Yes I did switch to ART but that wasn't a known issue to me. So I guess I should switch back to Dalvik and that will fix it?

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site

Yes I did switch to ART but that wasn't a known issue to me. So I guess I should switch back to Dalvik and that will fix it?

You can switch back to dalvik, or don't restart so much, or keep restating knowing it will take longer to restart. As far as anyone knows, it doesn't hurt anything it just takes longer to restart.

Posted from my Droid Turbo, Kelly and Ozone

deesugar

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site

So for anyone reading this thread I can confirm that switching back to Dalvik did indeed resolve the issue.

To everyone else why when using ART are there only 86 apps to be "optimized" on reboot but in Dalvik there are about 200 apps to be "optimized" ???

irisheyes143

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
I am having a similar problem, only my Turbo restarted itself (suddenly, I thought maybe it was the 5 update) and then hung. I had to do a hard reboot (power and volume button) and finally after the 5th or 6th try it would open. I switched back to Davlik and the problem is not happening. I am worried about 5 if it only runs on ART?

My screen was hanging on the initial sensor screen, it would not unlock. I could touch the lock/unlock icon but it would not unlock. Even after restart, when there was a message icon, the screen would not unlock. It was very frustrating (on top of that, I had some wireless router issues, so I couldn't get online at home to look up the problem, or contact Verizon. *sigh*).

I'm set for now, afraid to try ART again.

ETA: I had a different number of apps to be optimized on ART vs Davlik, which was very strange. More through Davlik.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Don't worry about lollipop and art. It was designed to run art (there is no Dalvik to switch from or to). Art is experimental for kitkat and clearly there's just an issue with the script that switches it only on the turbo.

Spencer Wolfe

Dec 1, 2014
Visit site
I had the exact same thing i spent untill 2am on chat with a motorola rep, and he just told me to factory reset after we exhausted every other possibility.. was not very happy had quite a few photos on there and had to re sign into evreything and re downlode alot of apps
:-\

slbuck

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Note 4 on Verizon and same issue here. Switching back to Dalvik since this is not normal. Had a Note 2 on AT&T rooted with stock/debloated and ART never had to optimize apps after every reboot, just the first one.

LovelyLeslie

Dec 20, 2014
Visit site
Phone is stuck in "Android is upgrading. Optimizing application 1 of 1" HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i remember i was downloading something from google play store but it took so long so i cleared cache from playstore then i also used clean master and du booster to clean junk but it was taking longer than usual also so i stopped my downloads and everything i was doing.

i powered off my phone. then turned it on again and it says

"Android is upgrading, Optimizing application 1 of 1"

and i already slept for more than 8 hours and its stuck there. I cant do anything except remove my battery,sim and sd card.

help me please....

luckypyrate

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
All I did was restart the phone into bootloader and "erase and restore factory default" and it stuck at the boot screen for a bit and then came right to desktop. I am on a SGH-M919 T Mobile Galaxy S4. I am totally functional right now. LOVE IT!

woohoo22

Dec 27, 2013
Visit site
Note 4 on Verizon and same issue here. Switching back to Dalvik since this is not normal. Had a Note 2 on AT&T rooted with stock/debloated and ART never had to optimize apps after every reboot, just the first one.

Same trouble with the same combo of phones. Haven't tried ART on the Note 2 (Verizon) though.

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site

So for anyone reading this thread I can confirm that switching back to Dalvik did indeed resolve the issue.

To everyone else why when using ART are there only 86 apps to be "optimized" on reboot but in Dalvik there are about 200 apps to be "optimized" ???

Because only those 86 apps aren't fully compatible with ART (on the Turbo). When you first switch to ART the full 200-some-odd apps are optimized. It's the apps that won't work with ART that optimize every time you reboot.

I agree with the comment that ART doesn't seem to present any issues once booted. I don't notice the snappier performance I did with ART enabled on my Droid Maxx, though (the Maxx had no issues at all with ART). So, I figured better to just use Dalvik and wait for Lollipop.

Connor Pritchard

Feb 19, 2015
Visit site
I had exactly the same problem with my 2014 moto g, I changed the runtime to ART and I had the same problem upon rebooting the device each time, after reading this I have switched back to DALVIK and now I do not have the problem, than you :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad