11-12-2014 03:24 PM
    Verizon Messages app
    11-12-2014 03:32 PM
    I just downloaded the new google messenger app and it's pretty nice

Posted via the Android Central App
    Hanko likes this.
    11-12-2014 03:36 PM
    I've used Handcent for several years.
    Charlie let me ask you (somebody around here has to be able to commiserate ;-))... do you use the delivery receipt function in Handcent on the Turbo?

Sent from my Droid Turbo using Tapatalk
    11-12-2014 04:28 PM
    Done with hangouts, just got "messenger" by google in all its material design goodness

11-12-2014 05:30 PM
    I'm trying the new messenger app also. Seems nice and simple. straight top the point. That's what I want.
    11-12-2014 05:37 PM
    Hangouts
    11-12-2014 05:39 PM
    Done with hangouts, just got "messenger" by google in all its material design goodness

Does the new Google messenger app allow you to set the background to black, instead of white?
    11-12-2014 06:00 PM
    Does the new Google messenger app allow you to set the background to black, instead of white?
    No
    11-12-2014 06:12 PM
    If it had just a few more options it would be really slick. I love the ability to adjust & change the font in the Verizon app as well as configuration of display. Not bad for an initial offering though, if it follows Google's history with other apps, it'll evolve quickly.
    11-12-2014 07:07 PM
    I was using 8sms with our old Moto X. WIth the Turbo, and upgrading the rest of the family to smartphones, I have been trying to go all in with Hangouts. Haven't had any issues yet, and we are able to use the Motorola Connect Chrome extension to be able to text my non-Hangouts friends from my PC.
    11-12-2014 08:14 PM
    Been using the Verizon Message+ now for a couple of years. I really like it and when I look at other SMS apps, it seems to do as much or more than them. I also like how I can link it to my computer as it's easier for me to use my computer keyboard for typing more quickly.
    scottysize likes this.
    11-12-2014 08:24 PM
    I've been using Handcent for quite some time now but after reading through this thread I decided to give the Google Messenger a whirl. Definitely not as customizeable as Handcent...not even close, in fact. I also don't like "bubble" conversations and is one of the reasons I was drawn to Handcent but I'll see how GM works for while.
    11-12-2014 09:20 PM
    Been using the Verizon Message+ now for a couple of years. I really like it and when I look at other SMS apps, it seems to do as much or more than them. I also like how I can link it to my computer as it's easier for me to use my computer keyboard for typing more quickly.
    I really like the new Google Message app but need my glasses for the smallish font. With the Verizon app, can adjust font size & style as you like, a really nice touch. I'm staying with it for now but will continue to monitor updates to Google's, I'm betting it's going to be enhanced over time. Who would have guessed Verizon would get an app right?
    11-12-2014 09:31 PM
    Hangouts from the moment it got sms. I'm transitioning all my contacts to my Google voice number, I can make and receive calls or messages on whatever device is nearby. It's not perfect but is improving.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    11-12-2014 09:41 PM
    Verizon Messages+ should not bog the phone down. I have used it the past year on my MAXX and it flies. On the Turbo, you should be more than fine. It is great because the texts sync with the Messages+ app on my Nexus 7. I use Moto Connect and the Chrome extension to text from my PC.
    Been giving it another go and yes you're right. No slow down. Must have been something else, or my imagination. Haha.

maxman1 likes this.
    11-13-2014 07:34 AM
    Textra.
    I agree, Textra is awesome; so much lighter than Handcent. It has much less settings to go through, and has a Lollipop design implemented, not to mention real Emoji. Handcent is just too heavy and has been glitchy for a while.
    11-13-2014 11:12 AM
    Using the new Google Messenger, I like it much better than Hangouts. I previously used Textra, but couldn't reply from my Moto 360 with it so I switched to Hangouts. I find Hangouts slow, especially when finding a contact to send a new message to. Good Messenger is nice and simple so far.

I used to use HelloSMS too, I really liked it. Had to switch for the same reason above (Moto 360)
    11-13-2014 12:33 PM
    Using the new Google Messenger, I like it much better than Hangouts. I previously used Textra, but couldn't reply from my Moto 360 with it so I switched to Hangouts. I find Hangouts slow, especially when finding a contact to send a new message to. Good Messenger is nice and simple so far.

I used to use HelloSMS too, I really liked it. Had to switch for the same reason above (Moto 360)
    I've been using the new google messenger all day today myself and I absolutely love it. It is super lightweight and it flies. Does it work with the moto 360? Because I have 1 of those coming tomorrow.

11-13-2014 03:55 PM
    OK, I'll say it. I'm using the VZW Messaging + app and I like it, ok. It works well and all my messages get restored when I change phones. I went to an iPhone for a month and when I came back to the Turbo, all my iPhone messages restored as well as any old messages and photos came back. I like it. Plus you can log in online and use it. i'm sold.
    11-13-2014 04:00 PM
    OK, I'll say it. I'm using the VZW Messaging + app and I like it, ok. It works well and all my messages get restored when I change phones. I went to an iPhone for a month and when I came back to the Turbo, all my iPhone messages restored as well as any old messages and photos came back. I like it. Plus you can log in online and use it. i'm sold.
    Surprised me too. Don't have to drag out reading glasses to read a text. 🙌
    11-13-2014 04:42 PM
    I'm trying the new messenger app also. Seems nice and simple. straight top the point. That's what I want.
    I love the look, but just had it go haywire with a group text. My buddies text came through trying to download 3 different times.
    11-13-2014 05:38 PM
    Hangouts from the moment it got sms. I'm transitioning all my contacts to my Google voice number, I can make and receive calls or messages on whatever device is nearby. It's not perfect but is improving.

Pretty much this for me as well. Since I've had my old phone number on GSM carriers for years and couldn't port it to verizon for some dumb reason, I ended up porting it to GVoice and have been extremely pleased ever since. texts and calls ring on 3 tablets and 2 phones around my house which is the future life I like to live.
    wolf_walker likes this.
    11-13-2014 06:16 PM
    Testing out Textra . Love the dark theme . Much better looking than the stock app .
    11-13-2014 06:43 PM
149 1234 ...