03-23-2015 11:44 PM
149 ... 456
tools
    Hangouts but only because I have several Hangouts open and its easier to combine them into one application.
    03-03-2015 05:11 AM
    Hangouts. I use Hangouts on the computer a lot, so I like being able to integrate that with sms in one app.
    03-16-2015 09:54 PM
    I use to like messages+, but since getting the turbo it seems you go to start new message, pick a contact and all the contacts are doubled?! Got to frustrated. Went to the stock messaging (green) and all good to go. Can't figure messages+ out, why doubled? Phone/people apps, no duplicates. only messages+. So sticking with the stock messaging app.
    03-17-2015 09:44 PM
    chompSMS because it plays nice with T-Mobile MMS and wifi (and is highly customizable).

Posted via the Android Central App
    03-18-2015 01:47 AM
    I think I replied "Textra" earlier on in this thread, but if not, "Textra."

It has customization (dark theme including black) and personalizations for idnividual contacts. It's nice to know who is texting by the tone that sounds.

Spurred partly by coincidence and partly by the comments here, I've been revisiting some apps I'd used previously (8sms, EvolveSMS, etc.) and trying some I hadn't (Google Messenger). I still find I can't let go of Textra. Any others I try fall short in some meaningful way for me.

The one thing I do wish Textra would change is the width of the text bubbles. I do like sent and received messages to be on opposite sides, but they can surely extend the text bubbles to 2/3 or even 3/4 of the screen width. Probably my only quibble, and it isn't a major one.
    03-18-2015 12:20 PM
    I uninstalled Textra and went back to Google Messenger for one reason only: I have an app that watches for unread text messages and reminds me every 20 minutes until I read them. Textra break those apps - it doesn't use the phone's internal message store but instead does it on its own. It does have repeat notifications, but they are every 2 minutes, and there is nothing more annoying than hearing that tone every two minutes as I drive, waiting for a chance to stop...

Otherwise, it's a solid, great app with great added features over most other messaging apps, and free to boot.
    KPMcClave likes this.
    03-18-2015 12:27 PM
    I uninstalled Textra and went back to Google Messenger for one reason only: I have an app that watches for unread text messages and reminds me every 20 minutes until I read them. Textra break those apps - it doesn't use the phone's internal message store but instead does it on its own. It does have repeat notifications, but they are every 2 minutes, and there is nothing more annoying than hearing that tone every two minutes as I drive, waiting for a chance to stop...

Otherwise, it's a solid, great app with great added features over most other messaging apps, and free to boot.
    Which text reminder app are using?

Sent from my Droid Turbo 64-gig from Tapatalk.
    03-18-2015 12:48 PM
    Which text reminder app are using?

Missed Text Reminder by Murry Electronics in the Play Store. I've also tried Missed call reminder by DO Software, but the other one is just for texts, and that's all I need.
    03-18-2015 01:03 PM
    Thx.

03-18-2015 01:07 PM
    I've tried just about all of them but find myself always returning to the stock app - but I do use SwiftKey.
    I use stock with SK as well.

Sent from my DROID Turbo64 via Tapatalk
    03-22-2015 05:41 AM
    Google messenger, for some reason I like using all google apps when possible. I wish I could disable the stock Motorola one cause I dont like having it enabled and not used (aka can't wait for root!)
    03-22-2015 07:52 AM
    I've been using Google Messenger and like it for the most part. Sometimes a message will have the 'message not sent, tap to try again' under it even though I usually get a reply to the message that supposedly wasn't sent. Weird....
    I find it happens when I switch out of that conversation, or out of the app itself, before it has finished sending.
    My 16yr old is all about Verizon's Message + app. I did use it and liked it. I'm pretty sure it had the option to take a pic and attach it to a SMS right inside the app before the Google Messenger app did.

03-22-2015 02:47 PM
    My 16yr old is all about Verizon's Message + app. I did use it and liked it. I'm pretty sure it had the option to take a pic and attach it to a SMS right inside the app before the Google Messenger app did.
    I was surprised at how much I liked the Messages+ app when I tried it out. I like the ability to customize notification tones especially, but the visual customizations are fun to tinker with, too.

The deal breaker for me was that you can't customize *Contacts* only Conversations. So, in order to save the customizations you've made for an individual, you would have to save at least one message from a prior Conversation.

I know for some folks this probably isn't a big deal as they don't clean up their messages, but I generally keep my inbox cleared of anything but active conversations. To have an inbox filled with dozens of Conversations just to save the personalizations was more than I can handle.

I'm not sure why they do it that way. I have given them feedback on this, FWIW.
    03-22-2015 03:05 PM
    I was surprised at how much I liked the Messages+ app when I tried it out. I like the ability to customize notification tones especially, but the visual customizations are fun to tinker with, too.

The deal breaker for me was that you can't customize *Contacts* only Conversations. So, in order to save the customizations you've made for an individual, you would have to save at least one message from a prior Conversation.

I know for some folks this probably isn't a big deal as they don't clean up their messages, but I generally keep my inbox cleared of anything but active conversations. To have an inbox filled with dozens of Conversations just to save the personalizations was more than I can handle.

I'm not sure why they do it that way. I have given them feedback on this, FWIW.
    Same problem here. I use Chomp because I like all of the customizability with notifications etc. I just went and tried Google Messenger again, but I can't do that so I'm heading back to Chomp.
    03-22-2015 03:29 PM
    +1 For both. Anyone know how to disable the stock app yet w/out root?
    03-22-2015 03:51 PM
    I use Textra. Very fast, and small app size. Has just the right amount customization. I've never had any issues. I tried Google Messenger a couple of times, but always go back to Textra. What are advantages of Google Messenger over Textra? I can't seem to find any.
    KPMcClave likes this.
    03-22-2015 09:34 PM
    Same problem here. I use Chomp because I like all of the customizability with notifications etc. I just went and tried Google Messenger again, but I can't do that so I'm heading back to Chomp.
    For giggles, I downloaded chomp this morning, and the first thing I noticed is that SMS and MMS threads from the same contact are split into separate threads. Is there a setting to merge these?
    03-23-2015 07:06 AM
    For giggles, I downloaded chomp this morning, and the first thing I noticed is that SMS and MMS threads from the same contact are split into separate threads. Is there a setting to merge these?
    But, did you giggle?

Somehow Chomp has eluded me previously. I've certainly heard of it before, but in looking at the screenshots in the Play Store, I don't think I've tried it before. So, I will, too.

Anyone who has used Chomp and also Textra (I haven't found anything to permanently pull me away...or even do so briefly), any head to head comparison? Things one has the other doesn't, etc?
    03-23-2015 07:22 AM
    I like Google messenger the best, but it won't work on my network extender when it comes to MMS messages. I've begun using textra, because of the option in the settings for t-mobile wifi fix. It temporarily turns the wifi off when sending MMS, thus allowing it to work with the network extender.

03-23-2015 11:35 AM
    I like Google messenger the best, but it won't work on my network extender when it comes to MMS messages. I've begun using textra, because of the option in the settings for t-mobile wifi fix. It temporarily turns the wifi off when sending MMS, thus allowing it to work with the network extender.
    Fwiw, I do not have that problem with MMS messages on a network extender using Google messenger. I do it all of the time (though I have a Droid Maxx and not a turbo.)

Do you have the current 3g extender or the older one that was 1xRTT only?

(By the way, I'm not suggesting you switch from textra, which is a great app. Just seems weird that you have that issue.)
    03-23-2015 12:32 PM
    Textra - it was the only app I could get to work with group messages and iPhone users. No complaints!

03-23-2015 04:00 PM
    Textra - it was the only app I could get to work with group messages and iPhone users. No complaints!

chompSMS also works with iPhone recipients as well as T-Mobile wifi group MMS. chompSMS has been great, but based on comments above, maybe I should try Textra.

To repeat another's question, does anyone have a chompSMS vs Textra comparison?

03-23-2015 08:05 PM
    Fwiw, I do not have that problem with MMS messages on a network extender using Google messenger. I do it all of the time (though I have a Droid Maxx and not a turbo.)

Do you have the current 3g extender or the older one that was 1xRTT only?

(By the way, I'm not suggesting you switch from textra, which is a great app. Just seems weird that you have that issue.)
    I have the newer Samsung 3G extender. When a message comes in, or I try to send one (only MMS) the messenger app locks up and the phone gets hot, so I turn off wifi to receive or send. VZ message + has the same issue. This problem does not affect my wife's moto x (2014), and only started after the first advanced calling update. I was hopeful that the 2nd would fix it, but no luck.

03-23-2015 11:14 PM
    I use Google Messenger but I just started using Telegram because it blows android sms apps out of the water. It's very frustrating how out of date android sms is compared to iMessage and Telegram is actually more robust than iMessage. It's very fast, cross platform, can use from computer, has read receipts and can send files up to a gig. The only problem of course is getting people on it.
    03-23-2015 11:44 PM
149 ... 456