what messaging app do you use?

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Wow, I did not know that. Thanks. I'll give it a try.

Let's just say that I found out the hard way...

I still like Textra more. You can get timestamps for all messages by sliding in from the right, it can use a dark theme (more battery friendly for AMOLED displays, though it seems that with material design, that may be a losing battle with most app going forward), I can customize the vibration alert, and I can have repeat alerts to remind me when I've been too busy to check unread messages.

pepsijunky

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
Let's just say that I found out the hard way...

I still like Textra more. You can get timestamps for all messages by sliding in from the right, it can use a dark theme (more battery friendly for AMOLED displays, though it seems that with material design, that may be a losing battle with most app going forward), I can customize the vibration alert, and I can have repeat alerts to remind me when I've been too busy to check unread messages.

I agree with you, Textra has been pretty nice. Something about Messenger fits my eye really well though, I want to give it a real shot. But everytime I get an MMS message, I switch back to Textra.

Masheen

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Just started using Verizon's Messaging + actually. Used to use Textra. The killer feature is the ability to send SMS and MMS over WiFi if connected. Also, the integration across all of my devices is amazing. It's much better than Moto Connect on the computer because it doesn't have to go through the phone to send messages, it's like hangouts in that aspect. Ton of customization features. I'm gonna use this for now. Basically hangouts for SMS/MMS. Never thought I'd like a Verizon app, let alone this much. Check it out.

StormnNJ

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
Just started using Verizon's Messaging + actually. Used to use Textra. The killer feature is the ability to send SMS and MMS over WiFi if connected. Also, the integration across all of my devices is amazing. It's much better than Moto Connect on the computer because it doesn't have to go through the phone to send messages, it's like hangouts in that aspect. Ton of customization features. I'm gonna use this for now. Basically hangouts for SMS/MMS. Never thought I'd like a Verizon app, let alone this much. Check it out.

You can text while on the phone??? I didn't know that lol. On WIFI and on the phone last night and someone was texting me from ATT and had to say "Oh I'll get it when I'm off the phone" to them. I will try it out again

dungoyle

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
I tried the verizon messenger application because I liked the idea of syncing with the laptop. Unfortunately, existing messages didn't transfer (only mildly disappointment with that) and new messages only display the last line of the last message. I couldn't read the entire message or thread on the laptop. It may be due to the high resolution on my Surface Pro 3 which gives the hangouts app a hard time with proper display as well. Lastly, I could not respond to text messages with my moto 360. So far only hangouts, textra and the new google messenger app let me do that, so I'm back to the google app, whjich is fine in that it gets the basic job done.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site

With so many props given for the Verizon app, plus integration over other devices, your post has convinced me. I'm going to give it a shot. Will I be able to text from my wifi Nexus 7 (2013)?

Robisan

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
I tried the verizon messenger application because I liked the idea of syncing with the laptop. Unfortunately, existing messages didn't transfer (only mildly disappointment with that) and new messages only display the last line of the last message. I couldn't read the entire message or thread on the laptop. It may be due to the high resolution on my Surface Pro 3 which gives the hangouts app a hard time with proper display as well. Lastly, I could not respond to text messages with my moto 360. So far only hangouts, textra and the new google messenger app let me do that, so I'm back to the google app, whjich is fine in that it gets the basic job done.

Works fine on my rMBP in Firefox for Mac. Did you use Messages+? (The app is Messages+; On browser screen it's called Verizon Messages.) You say "messenger" and don't know if that's a typo or a different program.

dungoyle

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Works fine on my rMBP in Firefox for Mac. Did you use Messages+? (The app is Messages+; On browser screen it's called Verizon Messages.) You say "messenger" and don't know if that's a typo or a different program.
Yeah, I was using the Messages + application, and interestingly enough, it actually synced when I went to the laptop earlier today to remove it, and I could get into the individual message conversations -- for about 10 minutes, then it went catatonic again, and I uninstalled it. Maybe down the road, if I can get reliable syncing on the laptop and reply to text on the moto 360.

Robisan

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
Maybe down the road, if I can get reliable syncing on the laptop and reply to text on the moto 360.

Yea, I don't know about integration with the moto 360. I do find that the browser portal sometimes needs to manually refreshed to pull in the current thread content, especially after the computer has been asleep. However all activity incoming/outgoing while using the browser syncs immediately back to the Android apps on my phone and wifi tablet. I also get timely notifications of incoming texts when using the computer.

dungoyle

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Yea, I don't know about integration with the moto 360. I do find that the browser portal sometimes needs to manually refreshed to pull in the current thread content, especially after the computer has been asleep. However all activity incoming/outgoing while using the browser syncs immediately back to the Android apps on my phone and wifi tablet. I also get timely notifications of incoming texts when using the computer.
Thanks for the tip. I was using the application, not the browser solution. If Moto 360 integration ever becomes a reality, I'll revisit, and I can try the browser based access to the messenger as an alternative.

StormnNJ

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
Just updated messages+ and it added another running service. aniwaysanalytics. Also added a driving mode which defaulted to on.

djjaeger82

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
Anyone know how to get your own photo to show up in the stock messaging app? I have a photo in my own Google+ profile and I've also tried adding my own phone # to the address book with a photo and neither worked. If I click on my blank head in a conversation it just says "there's no photo associated with that contact"

Masheen

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Just updated messages+ and it added another running service. aniwaysanalytics. Also added a driving mode which defaulted to on.

Thanks. I didn't even think to check the background processes after the update. Those sneaky bastids. I haven't noticed any unusual drain though. I love how I can shoot off SMS from my computer like its an SMG. :cool:

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
How do you all receive group texts? I use Chomp and when I get a group text from my iphone friends it seems to come as a separate text for everyone involved in the group text. I never know when I'm replying if I'm replying to one person or the entire group.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Anyone know how to get your own photo to show up in the stock messaging app? I have a photo in my own Google+ profile and I've also tried adding my own phone # to the address book with a photo and neither worked. If I click on my blank head in a conversation it just says "there's no photo associated with that contact"

Not sure, but I think you need to create a contact on your phone called "Me."

Masheen

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
How do you all receive group texts? I use Chomp and when I get a group text from my iphone friends it seems to come as a separate text for everyone involved in the group text. I never know when I'm replying if I'm replying to one person or the entire group.

If there is an option, check "Send/receive group texts as MMS". This shows all of the group messages in one message, rather than receiving individual messages from the person in the group that replies.

Masheen

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site

Not sure, but I think you need to create a contact on your phone called "Me."

This lies within the people" app, then select "set up my profile".

djjaeger82

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
This lies within the people" app, then select "set up my profile".

Thanks! Found it earlier tonight. Was looking for it going thru the phone app first then into all contacts. Unfortunately that doesn't open the same thing as going to the people app. But found the me contact there in the people all. Coming from a samsung s3 I still find the dialer, contacts, and favorite contacts to be a bit clumsy in Stock Android kit kat. Let's hope lollipop spruces things up a bit

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol