12-09-2014 05:25 PM
58 123
tools
    It seems everyone's radios have been getting better but I agree Motorola has always been the gold standard.

Posted via Android Central App
    11-14-2014 07:20 AM
    No one says you need to use the fast charging of the Turbo charger. I'm not and I don't think they figured using it everytime. I use a regular Motorola charger, same one I used on my Droid Maxx. As far as having a non removable battery, that's what most OEMs are doing. I ran my battery down to 1% to see how far it would go. I ended up with 33 hours and around 5 hours of sot.

I've owned Motorola, Samsung and HTC, and I've been the most satisfied with Motorola. I wouldn't have gone with them up until the last couple of years due to their skin. My HTC's weren't necessarily bad, but they seemed to be pretty quick to abandon support for their devices. My Galaxy S3 had more issues than any other phone I've ever used (except for maybe the Thunderbolt). GPS issues, lag, slow updates, radios that weren't as good as the HTCs I'd previously run, screen burn in, and battery life decreasing to around half of what it was after less than a year. The last update I got killed my mobile data, it can make calls and connect via WiFi, but no 3G/LTE data. We have 2 other members of our share plan that ran Samsung phones, one went through 3 Samsungs and the other went through 4 during their 2 year contract. They just don't last. That ensured we'll never go back to them again.
    I don't not-believe you at all, but it's so weird how two people can have such different experiences with a phone. I had an S3 for two years and handed it down to a (clumsy and not smart) girl, never had a problem with the thing. I rooted and unlocked the bootloader after a year so I ditched Samsung's goofy software/old OS but otherwise it never gave me any problem. The S4 I got after was almost identical, just more battery, more screen, more CPU, etc, etc, it was just a pumped up S3 which wasn't a bad thing really. If I could unlock the bootloader I'd still be using it.
    11-14-2014 11:01 AM
    Jives with what I'm seeing. I never dreamed Motorola would have trouble with something as basic as radio reception so I never even
    questioned it and ordered online. Silly me I guess. Hope to hear from the engineers at some point.
    Understood. I might have done the same thing but my contract still had 3 weeks left when the Turbo came out so I had to wait. After reading some comments about weak wifi signal I went to the Verizon store to check it out. Both of my previous phones (Droid Incredible and RMHD) I ordered online sight unseen and both worked out very well. I'm sure the Turbo is still a great phone, no phone is perfect. Hopefully this will be fixed with a software upgrade.
    11-14-2014 12:55 PM
    Havingowned nexus and samsung devices before my 1st gen moto x i'd say theys a noticeable improvement better than the other two.
    mightyfacundo likes this.
    11-14-2014 05:51 PM
    This is in no way a critique of the Turbo and its radios.

For as long as I've had an Android device, I've always heard that Motorola radios are the best. Is this still the case or have the other OEM's stepped up their game? I'm coming from the HTC Droid DNA, and I get the exact same data speeds from my Turbo from a few places around town where I have historically tested my phones' speeds. Right or wrong, I expected the Turbo to be better than the DNA, which was really good in its own right. So, are Motorola Radios still the best? For those of you coming from LG, Samsung, etc, are you seeing improved radio performance? Thanks for your thoughts.
    Seems like Note 4 is doing better on LTE too compared to DT

Motorola Droid Turbo Review:

via AC App on VZW Moto X DE/N7
    11-19-2014 10:33 AM
    I don't not-believe you at all, but it's so weird how two people can have such different experiences with a phone. I had an S3 for two years and handed it down to a (clumsy and not smart) girl, never had a problem with the thing. I rooted and unlocked the bootloader after a year so I ditched Samsung's goofy software/old OS but otherwise it never gave me any problem. The S4 I got after was almost identical, just more battery, more screen, more CPU, etc, etc, it was just a pumped up S3 which wasn't a bad thing really. If I could unlock the bootloader I'd still be using it.
    I had an SG3 from a buy one get one when I bought one for wifey. I dropped it day 3 from a 2' hieght. Shattered the screen. This was after deciding I really hated the phone. I have to say, I was happy it happened, because then I could justify buying a new phone to wifey. (No insurance and I'm unlimited anyway.)

On the other side, Wifey's on the SG4 now. She liked her 3 enough to get the 4 when work paid for the phone.
    11-19-2014 10:45 AM
    The Galaxy phones have become like buying another Honda Accord to me.
    Sure the new one is better and nice, but it's ANOTHER Honda Accord.... lol
    Masheen and sharkita like this.
    11-19-2014 12:18 PM
    I don't know if technically they're the best any more, but they're darned good. I work in a building where only Verizon customers can reliably make calls with their cell, yet I'm on AT&T and have had no trouble with either of my Moto X's (2013 & 2014). Others with the same provider have trouble making phone calls inside this building, including Apple, Samsung, what have you (most people here have iPhones or Galaxies with an occasional Blackberry thrown in for fun). I use my cell like my desk phone - no worries. I realize that's a pretty subjective answer, but in the real world Moto phones have never let me down when making a phone call. It's one of the things I count on when getting a Moto - that and a less-than-stellar camera. I can only assume that a Turbo is just as super reliable in the radio department as the X before it.
    travaz and mightyfacundo like this.
    11-19-2014 02:56 PM
    Doesn't matter if you believe me or not. This was my experience with Samsung. I will not own another and when I'm the one handling the phones for our share plan, neither will anyone else on it. Two lines going through 3 Samsung phones each is enough to make me stay away. Each of the lines had a new phone for their first one, and bought used after that. In both their cases and mine, the phone started having the serious issues after the year mark, or after the warranty ran out. But the GPS lock was always a problem for all of us, and it's a well documented in the forums of people having issues with GPS on Samsung devices.

I was past the year mark on my Maxx when I got the Turbo. I didn't switch because the Maxx wasn't good anymore, but mostly for screen, CPU, battery, camera, and storage (64GB). My Maxx is still my backup device. My S3 will no longer connect to 3G or LTE after an earlier update. I had to do the last 2 updates for it through KIES. Now it only does voice and WiFi data. So it's a media player.

Assuming Lenovo leaves Motorola to handle itself, I'll be a customer.
    11-19-2014 07:49 PM
    This is my first Motorola phone since my pre-smartphone Motorola flip phone back when cell phones first went digital. I previously had the BlackBerry Z30 and I was extremely happy with the antenna on that phone. Hopefully, my Turbo will be just as good.

Posted via the Android Central App
    11-19-2014 11:07 PM
    Looking at anything other than -dBm is useless.

I will say that the Samsung S5 is much better than the Galaxy Nexus they made a few years ago.

Moto will always reign supreme.
    11-20-2014 12:30 PM
    Moto X 2014 is the best on Verizon right now. Droid Turbo, Z3 and Note 4 are about the same , but DT seems to be the weakest somehow. When I say the best, I mean 10-30 dB less than others at the same spot.

via AC App on VZW Moto X DE/N7
    mightyfacundo likes this.
    11-24-2014 11:24 PM

I will say that the Samsung S5 is much better than the Galaxy Nexus they made a few years ago.

Galaxy Nexus. Oh man, that brings back memories 😎. I won't even get into it.
    11-27-2014 06:22 AM
    Thank you guys for pointing this out. I tend to always go with the underdog if you will and not travel the paved road such as the popular iPhone and Samsung. Since I've owned a Motorola (starting with the krazr) I always thought they've had a really solid product and this is another reason why (radio) quality. I've always attributed this to vzw until reading this thread today. Thank you.

Sent from my DROID Turbo64
    12-05-2014 01:21 PM
    Thank you guys for pointing this out. I tend to always go with the underdog if you will and not travel the paved road such as the popular iPhone and Samsung. Since I've owned a Motorola (starting with the krazr) I always thought they've had a really solid product and this is another reason why (radio) quality. I've always attributed this to vzw until reading this thread today. Thank you.

Sent from my DROID Turbo64
    To be fair its a mixture of both.

Verizon + Motorola = #1 in most areas.

Sent from my Motorola Droid Turbo
    12-07-2014 01:59 PM
    This is in no way a critique of the Turbo and its radios.

For as long as I've had an Android device, I've always heard that Motorola radios are the best. Is this still the case or have the other OEM's stepped up their game? I'm coming from the HTC Droid DNA, and I get the exact same data speeds from my Turbo from a few places around town where I have historically tested my phones' speeds. Right or wrong, I expected the Turbo to be better than the DNA, which was really good in its own right. So, are Motorola Radios still the best? For those of you coming from LG, Samsung, etc, are you seeing improved radio performance? Thanks for your thoughts.
    Coming from a Droid Maxx that had excellent radios to the Turbo was a huge disappointment. I live in a fringe area the same fringe area that the Maxx was good in the turbo can not hold on to a call. Every call I get drops on the Turbo but the Maxx does good. I must say for me the Turbo has dropped Motos rep as good radios to bad radios. Sorry to say the same is true on GPS. I use GPS each day with My Tracks and the Droid Maxx is just head and shoulders above the Turbo. The king is the Samsung Note 4 it has the best Phone GPS WiFi radios going...This is not a Samsung thing as the S5 was not as good as my Droid Maxx but the Note 4 is better then any phone I have had and I try all the phones that interest my. Examples Lg G2 and G3, S5, Turbo, Note 4, M8, Moto Droid Maxx and iPhones.
    12-07-2014 06:06 PM
    Coming from a Droid Maxx that had excellent radios to the Turbo was a huge disappointment. I live in a fringe area the same fringe area that the Maxx was good in the turbo can not hold on to a call. Every call I get drops on the Turbo but the Maxx does good. I must say for me the Turbo has dropped Motos rep as good radios to bad radios. Sorry to say the same is true on GPS. I use GPS each day with My Tracks and the Droid Maxx is just head and shoulders above the Turbo. The king is the Samsung Note 4 it has the best Phone GPS WiFi radios going...This is not a Samsung thing as the S5 was not as good as my Droid Maxx but the Note 4 is better then any phone I have had and I try all the phones that interest my. Examples Lg G2 and G3, S5, Turbo, Note 4, M8, Moto Droid Maxx and iPhones.
    Strange, my friends Verizon Note 4 does worse than my Turbo when side by side. Its not a huge difference but its noticeable. I did have a bad experience with the S5 though.

12-07-2014 06:10 PM

To me looking at -dBm is useless. I live in a fringe area so I just use the phone. The one that does not drop calls wins. The best phones for not dropping calls for me in my area are the Verizon Droid Maxx and Note 4 on Verizon with Note 4 being the best. Turbo drops every call. Turbo has been a huge disappointment for me.
    12-07-2014 06:17 PM
    It might be the area you are in. I am in a very fringe area. Glad your Turbo is good for you and wish mine was good for me. I guess thats why you often see YMMV. BTW I liked my Droid Maxx so much I bought a second as back up.
    I wonder if it could be the back? I bought the 64GB with Ballistic back?
    12-07-2014 06:20 PM
    It might be the area you are in. I am in a very fringe area. Glad your Turbo is good for you and wish mine was good for me. I guess thats why you often see YMMV. BTW I liked my Droid Maxx so much I bought a second as back up.
    I wonder if it could be the back? I bought the 64GB with Ballistic back?
    I have the 64 GB BN also. Just odd that one Turbo has better signal than a Note 4 and your experience differs. Gotta love technology!

12-07-2014 06:58 PM
    Its cellular radio is great, but its Wi-Fi radio is downright atrocious.
    12-07-2014 09:25 PM
    Its cellular radio is great, but its Wi-Fi radio is downright atrocious.
    this
    12-08-2014 12:03 AM
    this
    WiFi is the same as my Note 3 and S5. Same speeds and reliability. I may just not notice it but I've never had slow-down or drops.

hannsoft likes this.
    12-08-2014 12:10 AM
    WiFi is the same as my Note 3 and S5. Same speeds and reliability. I may just not notice it but I've never had slow-down or drops.

Range is less than my s4 and Nexus 7 on 802.11g. Repeatedly so, bout 10dbm on average. No drops or speed problem, till it's out of range.
    12-08-2014 02:40 AM
    Range is less than my s4 and Nexus 7 on 802.11g. Repeatedly so, bout 10dbm on average. No drops or speed problem, till it's out of range.
    Ah, I'm on AC so maybe that's why. 5Ghz messes up on the other end of my house but it did so on Note 3/S5. Its great on 2.4 for all 3 for me.

12-08-2014 02:43 AM
58 123