Droid Turbo Rebooting When Connected to Apple airport Wifi ?

gdflynn1

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
Hi All,

I originally posted this question about my Droid Turbo randomly rebooting.

I believe I have since narrowed it down to occur only when I am at my office and connected to the office Apple airport WiFi.

I am on my second device and don't think returning it will help as it must be software.

Anyone have any ideas on how to resolve this issue or if they are experiencing the same thing?

Thanks in advance.

djousma

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
I have two turbo's at home with an Airport Extreme, and two Airport Express and have not had any problems. If you have installed any additional apps, besides what is stock on the phone, I would uninstall all of them to see if one of them is the culprit.

gdflynn1

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
I did a factory reset and slowly installed apps one at a time. The phone has not rebooted unless I am connected to this specific Apple Airport wifi, but you confirm you are not having any issues. Hmmmm..

Maybe I should return the phone for a new device?

djousma

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
You don't say it specifically, and neither did I, but my comments were intended to mean to uninstall all your added apps, and use the phone on the airports for a day or two. And see if the problem persists. If it didn't, then its one of your apps. If it does, then I would go one step further, and do a factory data reset, and still do not add any apps, and use it on the airport for a period of time for you to determine if it continues to have the problem. Then while on the airport network, starting adding one or two apps per day(i.e. slowly) to be able to figure out which app may be causing the problem.

gdflynn1

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
I did try that, but since the apple twist was something i started recognizing recently, I dont think I was connected to the apple wifi. I also called motorola about my problem and they were useless and just offered to replace phone. Did say that they have zero reported issues on the turbo to-date.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Well, you can also try running in safe mode to rule out an app issue. Long-press power, just as you would to shut down the phone. On the power off option, long press and it will prompt if you want to reboot to safe mode.

If the phone restarts in safe mode, it's not an app issue.

gdflynn1

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
So, 20 minutes into using in safe mode....phone seemed more responsive. Then I downloaded a doc and went to open in doc viewer and it rebooted twice in a row. Thoughts? Get a 3rd one? ;)

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Thoughts? Get a 3rd one? ;)

Hmmm. I almost wonder whether it's worth testing some of the settings in the WiFi advanced settings menu. Settings / WiFi, hit the menu control lower right, and choose advanced. Maybe think about turning off "WiFi optimization" or "Avoid poor connections", make sure that "Keep WiFi on during sleep" is set to "Always", try setting WiFi frequency band to just 2.4 GHz or just 5 GHz. See if it's a weird setting in there.

Do you know if the Airport definitely running the latest firmware?

Apart from that, I know I couldn't deal with a phone that was always restarting like that, and you've replicated it with two devices. I'd almost be talking to Verizon about switching to another phone model...

gdflynn1

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
I went in and tweaked those settings as you suggested. Surfed web a bit using chrome, then locked phone. Picked it up a few minutes later and try to unlock the phone via pattern lock and it froze and rebooted. Going to check the Airport firmware next.

Thanks for the continued assistance!

And the fact that nobody else is experiencing the same issue makes me believe I will get to the bottom of it eventually. I love the phone...but the reboots are hard to deal with. I will let you know about the firmware.

Scott C4

Nov 15, 2014
Visit site
I have the same issue. My turbo reboots several times a day when at the office which uses Apple Airports. The day I turned off my wifi at work the phone didn't reboot once.

I've also had occasional wifi issues at home (phone reboots or forgets the network) where I have Netgear access points. But it's not nearly as often.

gdflynn1

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
I downloaded WiFi fixed and it seems to help with the issue. I am going to be testing more this week and then will decide if I jump off the turbo and into a different t device.

gdflynn1

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
Ugggg....the reboots resurfaced again today. Nothing changed on phone. And this time it rebooted outside of the office where I thought the problems were isolated to. Time to bring it in for a 3rd device I guess.

gdflynn1

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
Quick update:

Finally decided to call VZW (again). Got to Tier 2. Tier 2 resource confirmed that customers complaining of random reboots was in the Top 5 trending reported issues for this device. Confirmed they have been working with Moto and that I can expect an update that hopefully addresses this issue and a variety of others. He did say he does not believe this is a lollipop update but rather more of a maintenance/bug fixing update. Said any day now and definitely this month.

So, will see what happens.

Paul2727

Dec 9, 2014
Visit site
Well, you can also try running in safe mode to rule out an app issue. Long-press power, just as you would to shut down the phone. On the power off option, long press and it will prompt if you want to reboot to safe mode. If the phone restarts in safe mode, it's not an app issue.

Switched to safe mode and within 20 minutes while sitting on my desk, my Turbo rebooted on it's own to normal start up. Switching to SAFE mode again (which disables all my downloaded apps).

Update: Safe mode helped a lot. Been stable since.

Last edited:

UltRaiderFan

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
I'm having the same issue mainly on my airporter Wi-Fi at home. On my 2nd device and tried safe mode and still the same. Any word from moto yet? Should I try a 3rd one?

Thx,

Dan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC