Does your turbo read your texts while driving?

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
Yes. I exchanged a bunch of texts this morning while driving. Worked great.

Posted via Android Central App
I love Moto Assist... have had it for over a year. Others will disagree but I submit that it's safer to use Moto Assist in the car while texting than it is talking to someone next to you in the front seat. In the one case you are looking at and gesturing toward the passenger while talking. In the other case both hands are on the steering wheel and you are looking straight ahead all the time.

mightyfacundo

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I love Moto Assist... have had it for over a year. Others will disagree but I submit that it's safer to use Moto Assist in the car while texting than it is talking to someone next to you in the front seat. In the one case you are looking at and gesturing toward the passenger while talking. In the other case both hands are on the steering wheel and you are looking straight ahead all the time.

I agree. This is the first time I've used it, and I thought it was a very cool feature that I look forward to using in the future.

parkschr1

Nov 4, 2014
Visit site
I don't get how everyones is working. It does not work for me. Everything is set up correctly. The only thing I can think of is its not working with my bluetooth in by 2013 Highlander.

parkschr1

Nov 4, 2014
Visit site
It works with Handcent. I used it while driving this morning. It alerts me to the text and asks me to say listen if I want it to read it to me.

Posted via the Android Central App

Does it work through your bluetooth speakers in your vehicle? I have even turned off the bluetooth and tried getting it to read it out loud from just the phone and it will only pop up on the phone. I do have the box checked for reading text while driving. I have restarted the phone. The phone is unlocked.

mightyfacundo

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I don't get how everyones is working. It does not work for me. Everything is set up correctly. The only thing I can think of is its not working with my bluetooth in by 2013 Highlander.

I'm not sure, but I wasn't using Bluetooth if that helps. (I know it probably doesn't though. Sorry.)

Posted via the Android Central App

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Does it work through your bluetooth speakers in your vehicle? I have even turned off the bluetooth and tried getting it to read it out loud from just the phone and it will only pop up on the phone. I do have the box checked for reading text while driving. I have restarted the phone. The phone is unlocked.

How about settings / sound / volumes. Is any of those cranked all of the way down? (I think it uses media volume, actually.)

mightyfacundo

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site

I don't use it with Bluetooth, but I did have it wired to the aux jack, allowing it to play over the speakers in my truck. Then tonight I was driving to dinner in my wife's Highlander, not plugged in to anything, and it worked again. If you go into Settings, Moto, Voice, Commands while locked, do you have Calls and Notifications checked? I'm sure you probably have done these, but I just wanted to run down my settings in hopes that we overlooked something.

parkschr1

Nov 4, 2014
Visit site
I don't use it with Bluetooth, but I did have it wired to the aux jack, allowing it to play over the speakers in my truck. Then tonight I was driving to dinner in my wife's Highlander, not plugged in to anything, and it worked again. If you go into Settings, Moto, Voice, Commands while locked, do you have Calls and Notifications checked? I'm sure you probably have done these, but I just wanted to run down my settings in hopes that we overlooked something.

Yes. When I get in the SUVs, the phone displays an icon that it is unlocked. Should it be locked in order for it to work? So yours worked without it being paired to the sub?

mightyfacundo

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Yes. When I get in the SUVs, the phone displays an icon that it is unlocked. Should it be locked in order for it to work? So yours worked without it being paired to the sub?

It wasn't paired, and now that you mention it, I never password/pin protect my phone, so I wonder if that has something to do with it.

macawmatt

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I can't say that mine has prompted me to read the text. My old Moto X did and it was a great feature. Not sure if my Moto 360 is having something to do with it or not.

Posted via the Android Central App on a Nexus 10 running Lollipop

kmf1

May 5, 2011
Visit site
I have my Turbo paired with my 2010 Suburban. I have Moto Assist Driving enabled and it works just fine. It reads my texts through the phone speaker, not the car, and gives me the opportunity to reply. Pretty slick. Today I had my phone in my coat pocket. A chime was heard, followed by a prompt to read the text, and reply afterwards. Mind you, the phone was in my pocket, and I heard well, and the phone heard my reply. Again, pretty slick.

Rndcheg

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
Mine will not read when connected to the car bluetooth. Yesterday, I got in my car and started driving. I got a text which it started to read out, then the phone connected to bluetooth and it stopped reading the text in the middle of it. I cannot get Google maps to read directions either when connected unless I have the stereo playing music via bluetooth on my phone. If I have the radio playing, it won't read out turn by turn directions. Kind of a bummer.

parkschr1

Nov 4, 2014
Visit site
I was able to get it to read the texts through the phone while driving. I had to uncheck the media button while connected to my Bluetooth.

Rndcheg

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
Can you clarify a something so I can see if I can get the same result? The phone was connected to the car via bluetooth. Were you playing music on your phone through the car's system or listening to the car's radio? I can hear the the voice when I am playing music from the phone but not when I am listening to the car's radio. Google maps directions work the same way. I never had this issue with previous phones where connecting to bluetooth limited the phone's ability to play sound unless I was changing my radios input to the phone.

bfranker

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I've read through this thread and have some questions and maybe a "fix" for some of you too.

I'm not a smart phone expert so bear with me :)

I have my phone paired with my car's Bluetooth radio. I do not use my phone for listening to media in my car... I listen to FM radio via my Pioneer car radio 99% of the time. I have my phone paired with my radio primarily for making and receiving phone calls. I've had the phone for about 2 weeks and did not originally setup Moto Assist but did the other day. Previous to this I have been using MacroDroid (very nice program like Tasker but much more user friendly) to read my texts when my phone is connected to my car's Bluetooth. This works even while connected to Bluetooth so for you guys who don't want to keep turning your media on and off in order for the phone to read your texts, MacroDroid may be an option for you. Now that I have Moto Assist setup and driving mode set to ON, I'm not even sure what driving mode is doing for me since I'm using MacroDroid to read my texts and notifications? Maybe nothing? I'm pretty sure MacroDroid is "over-riding" Moto Assist because my phone is reading texts even when connected to BlueTooth.

My only gripe about my setup is that the phone speaking texts via the phone's speaker while in a moving car with the FM radio playing is rather pointless because you can't hear it! I've been trying unsuccessfully to get the car's speakers to output the text message (while listening to FM radio) instead of just the phone's speaker.

1) Is it even possible with the Turbo to have the car's speakers output the text when listening to FM radio or something OTHER than the car radio using the phone's media like Pandora or playing the music on the phone? I know it works over the car's speakers if listening to phone music in my car but I'd like it to work while listening to FM radio.

2) Does ANY phone do what I'm wanting to do? I did some Internet searching and it seems like some Bluetooth devices like headsets WILL play back texts over the Bluetooth device's speakers but that could be because it is constantly connected?

3) If the Turbo won't do this by itself, do you know of any third party apps that will make this function happen?

I think I am "close" to getting this to work but haven't quite got it figured out. I have noticed that while using Moto Assist if I press the button on my car radio which makes my phone listen for a command (like when I want to voice dial somebody from my phonebook) that the car radio gets put in a mode where I CAN hear texts being read from the phone. If there were an App that could activate this command automatically when a text/notification is received, read the text/notification, then cancel the action, I do believe I'd get the function I'm looking for to where I can hear the text messages on my car's speakers while listening to FM radio. Any comments on this? I think MacroDroid may be able to do this I just need to play with it some more to see what command (if any?) will activate my radio's "listen to your phone" mode.

Thanks!

smokie11

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
I have not received a text message while driving yet, I have received phone calls and the phone is on my side in a case with my shirt over it, the radio is on and I hear the phone ringing; I mute the radio and I hear the phone telling me who is calling and the number, then it asks me if I want to ignore or take the call. In a normal speaking voice I say take the the call and then I say hello ( the truth is I did not expect this to work) behold I clearly hear this guy asking me if I was "Ralph" so I said no you have a wrong number, he apologizes and I end the call. I was very impressed; never took my eyes off the road or my hands off the steering wheel...I thought it was amazing.

stateofdesign

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
Only once did the phone tell me I had an incoming text and read it aloud. I've never had a phone call announced in the 2 weeks I've had it. Sometimes it doesn't even pick up that I'm driving. Usually my location is set to Battery Saving. Is that why?

I have no clue what my settings were that one time it worked (BT on or off? But if it was on, it was almost certainly connected with the media on. GPS on or off? But if it was on, it was almost certainly on Device Only mode) and now I'm stuck in a city w/o my car for 3 weeks, so no way to test.

Kind of frustrating. Has anyone figured out the formula to make it work? This was one of the bigger sells for me for this phone.

Thanks for any help!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech