Does your turbo read your texts while driving?

smokie11

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
I don't know if the Battery Saving mode is the reason, I know that my phone is set to Location On and High Accuracy mode and both incoming calls and text are called out to me for screening and response if I choose to without failure, I don't use BT in my work truck, considering I cannot kill the battery in one day even if I wanted to; why not allow your phone to use all of it's features? Unless you have found a way to kill your battery in one day, why worry about the battery? it is the Turbo's strongest asset. (-:

Cajun_Mike

Sep 5, 2014
Visit site
It reads my texts through the navigation unit on my 2015 jeep grand Cherokee.

I need to disable that feature though. As a single guy could cause huge trouble if a girl is riding shotgun. ;-)

Posted via the Android Central App

Rndcheg

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
Assuming you set Moto to read texts aloud, I found it only reads aloud when I have the stereo set to my phone as a source, via Bluetooth pairing. That means paying music from the phone and not the car radio. It does not work otherwise, phone issue! I have only been able to hear voicemails over the car speakers otherwise. Definitely irritating and haven't found a solution anywhere.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Assuming you set Moto to read texts aloud, I found it only reads aloud when I have the stereo set to my phone as a source, via Bluetooth pairing. That means paying music from the phone and not the car radio. It does not work otherwise, phone issue! I have only been able to hear voicemails over the car speakers otherwise. Definitely irritating and haven't found a solution anywhere.

This is annoying, I know, but in the BT settings for the pairing, turn off "media audio" if you're not going to play music to the BT device from the phone. That should direct the texts through the phone speaker anyway.

lovecars

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site

If you enable it on your MOTO app, it will read, announce calls and texts through the phone speaker if the bluetooth you have in your car supports only calls like my 2013 Chevy Silverado, they will play through the phone speaker anyway.

It works either way, doesn't make any difference which app you are using for messaging or phone calls. I use Google Messenger. It's good and stable and much better then the G+ one and the Verizon one that comes with the phone.

XanderCrews12

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I don't use Moto Assist.
I use the app Out Loud: (can't post a damn link because I need 10 posts first...seriously??)

It's fantastic.
It will read texts or notifications from any app you specify and broadcast the announcement via bluetooth to headphones, car stereo, etc.
If you are playing music it will pause the music, then announce the text and play the music again when it is done reading the text or announcement.

This is especially great when cutting the grass...since it takes me 2.5 hours to cut my 5 acres. My wife doesn't have to walk outside and wave me in when it is time for dinner...she can just text me and my phone reads it to me through the headphones.

This is one app that I recommend to everyone.

bfranker

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I've read through this thread and have some questions and maybe a "fix" for some of you too.

I'm not a smart phone expert so bear with me :)

I have my phone paired with my car's Bluetooth radio. I do not use my phone for listening to media in my car... I listen to FM radio via my Pioneer car radio 99% of the time. I have my phone paired with my radio primarily for making and receiving phone calls. I've had the phone for about 2 weeks and did not originally setup Moto Assist but did the other day. Previous to this I have been using MacroDroid (very nice program like Tasker but much more user friendly) to read my texts when my phone is connected to my car's Bluetooth. This works even while connected to Bluetooth so for you guys who don't want to keep turning your media on and off in order for the phone to read your texts, MacroDroid may be an option for you. Now that I have Moto Assist setup and driving mode set to ON, I'm not even sure what driving mode is doing for me since I'm using MacroDroid to read my texts and notifications? Maybe nothing? I'm pretty sure MacroDroid is "over-riding" Moto Assist because my phone is reading texts even when connected to BlueTooth.

My only gripe about my setup is that the phone speaking texts via the phone's speaker while in a moving car with the FM radio playing is rather pointless because you can't hear it! I've been trying unsuccessfully to get the car's speakers to output the text message (while listening to FM radio) instead of just the phone's speaker.

1) Is it even possible with the Turbo to have the car's speakers output the text when listening to FM radio or something OTHER than the car radio using the phone's media like Pandora or playing the music on the phone? I know it works over the car's speakers if listening to phone music in my car but I'd like it to work while listening to FM radio.

2) Does ANY phone do what I'm wanting to do? I did some Internet searching and it seems like some Bluetooth devices like headsets WILL play back texts over the Bluetooth device's speakers but that could be because it is constantly connected?

3) If the Turbo won't do this by itself, do you know of any third party apps that will make this function happen?

I think I am "close" to getting this to work but haven't quite got it figured out. I have noticed that while using Moto Assist if I press the button on my car radio which makes my phone listen for a command (like when I want to voice dial somebody from my phonebook) that the car radio gets put in a mode where I CAN hear texts being read from the phone. If there were an App that could activate this command automatically when a text/notification is received, read the text/notification, then cancel the action, I do believe I'd get the function I'm looking for to where I can hear the text messages on my car's speakers while listening to FM radio. Any comments on this? I think MacroDroid may be able to do this I just need to play with it some more to see what command (if any?) will activate my radio's "listen to your phone" mode.

Thanks!

Just FYI, I took the LP update and was pleasantly surprised today while driving my car and listening to FM radio that alll of a sudden my car radio acted like I got a call from MYSELF then OVER MY CAR SPEAKERS told me that I had a text and if I wanted to hear it. I said Listen or whatever it told me to say and it read the text over the car speakers then asked if I wanted to reply. I said yes and spoke my text through my installed car stereo sun visor mic, it repeated it back to make sure it was correct then sent it and then my FM radio came back on! Excellent!

With MacroDroid I should now be able to get other notifications to "activate" my car's bluetooth connection to the phone and read notifications over the car speakers. While I haven't verified it 100% yet, it appears the wants I spoke of above have happened in this new LP update. Very happy... now if only my camera would stop causing the phone to reboot I'll be good. LOL

anon(40376)

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
It reads my texts through the navigation unit on my 2015 jeep grand Cherokee.

I need to disable that feature though. As a single guy could cause huge trouble if a girl is riding shotgun. ;-)

Posted via the Android Central App

Don't you get a notice about the text and if you want to ignore or read? On my 2015 Silverado, it beeps, then a message is displayed in the driver info center asking if I want it read or to dismiss.

Tonsta1

Nov 23, 2016
Visit site
Just FYI, I took the LP update and was pleasantly surprised today while driving my car and listening to FM radio that alll of a sudden my car radio acted like I got a call from MYSELF then OVER MY CAR SPEAKERS told me that I had a text and if I wanted to hear it. I said Listen or whatever it told me to say and it read the text over the car speakers then asked if I wanted to reply. I said yes and spoke my text through my installed car stereo sun visor mic, it repeated it back to make sure it was correct then sent it and then my FM radio came back on! Excellent!

With MacroDroid I should now be able to get other notifications to "activate" my car's bluetooth connection to the phone and read notifications over the car speakers. While I haven't verified it 100% yet, it appears the wants I spoke of above have happened in this new LP update. Very happy... now if only my camera would stop causing the phone to reboot I'll be good. LOL

Help needed not very good at this....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thtknt