Droid Turbo: Lollipop software update?-5062.jpg

Posted via the Android Central App
    Bob Maida and Symthic like this.
    03-11-2015 06:06 PM
    Droid Turbo: Lollipop software update?-5063.jpg

Symthic likes this.
    03-11-2015 06:07 PM
    I went over to the Motorola page that shows you the devices that are getting lollipop. I noticed something different that struck me as positive. It used to say that this device will by updated to 5.0 lollipop pending partner support. It now says android 5 lollipop, I think we will see 5.1 I'm hoping that is a good sign.

Are you *certain* it previously said "Android 5.0"?
    Toeduster likes this.
    03-11-2015 08:51 PM
    So the motoroloa turbo in India will come out of the box with lollipop? And we're still waiting why?

JeremytheIndian likes this.
    03-12-2015 01:27 AM
    So the motoroloa turbo in India will come out of the box with lollipop? And we're still waiting why?

Different markets. Happens all of the time.

I understand the need to feel we always need the newest and greatest but stability is the most important. We don't need excessive battery drain and glitches. When we get Lollipop it should work without a hitch.
    03-12-2015 03:42 AM

Same reason LG rolled out the G3 update in Poland (I think was there) first. Screw up a small area, and you have a small cleanup job. The corollary is obvious.
    03-12-2015 07:01 AM
    The other thing to remember some/all of these phones in the other markets are not Droid Turbos. The Turbo is a Verizon only phone with a unique combination of hardware and software. The hardware is sold under different names, and the Turbo's software includes Verizon specific features and apps that must be tested. If you look at all the issues that have happened on Lollipop so far with other devices I can't really fault Verizon for taking the wait and see attitude toward Lollipop.
    hannsoft and maxman1 like this.
    03-12-2015 09:40 AM

What about lollipop are you in such a hurry to get? The battery drain? The memory leak?
    We're waiting because it's not ready. It's pretty simple - when it works right we'll get it.

Posted from my Droid Turbo, Kelly and Ozone
    03-12-2015 12:07 PM
    When are we getting this update?????

Sven62 likes this.
    03-12-2015 01:04 PM
    The other thing to remember some/all of these phones in the other markets are not Droid Turbos. The Turbo is a Verizon only phone with a unique combination of hardware and software. The hardware is sold under different names, and the Turbo's software includes Verizon specific features and apps that must be tested. If you look at all the issues that have happened on Lollipop so far with other devices I can't really fault Verizon for taking the wait and see attitude toward Lollipop.
    I think Verizon should just bag the lollipop project and start optimizing the Turbo for Android M. They obviously are very busy on other things, so lollipop on Droid Turbo probably isn't worth their time in their eyes.

They probably figure that because only a whopping 3% of devices run 5.0 anyway, nobody would care about lollipop, and may even vote against the update altogether.

Sent from my Droid Turbo
    Codger1212 likes this.
    03-12-2015 01:06 PM
    What about lollipop are you in such a hurry to get? The battery drain? The memory leak?
    We're waiting because it's not ready.
    Preliminary reports are that Android 5.1 has resolved these issues, yes?
    KPMcClave likes this.
    03-12-2015 02:51 PM
    Preliminary reports are that Android 5.1 has resolved these issues, yes?
    Yes, the memory leak was not necessarily a widespread bug as not everyone was experiencing it but it has been marked fixed by google.
    KPMcClave likes this.
    03-13-2015 12:07 AM
    I'd think, since the Turbo is exclusive to Verizon, the update would come quicker. They don't need to make the update be compatible with Sprint, T-Mobile, or AT&T. Just one carrier.

cooper_m22 likes this.
    03-13-2015 06:29 AM
    I'd think, since the Turbo is exclusive to Verizon, the update would come quicker. They don't need to make the update be compatible with Sprint, T-Mobile, or AT&T. Just one carrier.

Then why don't we have it yet? We've been waiting since December.

03-16-2015 12:05 PM
    For you folks that have a never ending hard-on to get LP for the Turbo, what exact function/feature are you looking for that you don't have now in KK on the Turbo? Not trying to be a smart-a** or anything, I'm just trying to understand what my Turbo is missing out on and what I should look forward to in getting LP or is it simply that "because the Turbo was promised LP", you feel that you've been cheated out on something that you deserve?
    03-16-2015 12:13 PM
    There are a few features in Lollipop that are nicer - the toggles in the notification bar; priority notifications; but, for the most part, they are minor, and the Turbo has some of these features already through the Moto app with Assist, etc. There was one app that I wanted to install that was lollipop-only but it was recently back-ported to KitKat so that's all set now.

These days, with a lot of Android's features being based on Google's Play Services, which doesn't require the latest version, there is less benefit to having the latest release compared with, say, iOS. However, one coming benefit is that more of the OS can be patched through Play Services and Play Store updates, so waiting for carriers to approve full OS updates will become less and less frustrating and critical going forward.

FWIW, the Turbo was promised Lollipop, but was never, ever promised a date. Any date anybody reads was just a rumor made up by somebody who has nothing to do with getting the update on the phone. I do think that Motorola and Verizon could have managed it by now if they thought it was important. I'm inferring that Advanced Calling is more important to Verizon than Lollipop, and maybe that Motorola's own brands are more important to them than Verizon's Droid brand (and who can criticize them for that?)
    03-16-2015 12:23 PM
    It's taking so long because we are getting 5.1 now with the patch for memory leak.

Sent from my Droid Turbo
    03-16-2015 12:27 PM
    For you folks that have a never ending hard-on to get LP for the Turbo, what exact function/feature are you looking for that you don't have now in KK on the Turbo? Not trying to be a smart-a** or anything, I'm just trying to understand what my Turbo is missing out on and what I should look forward to in getting LP or is it simply that "because the Turbo was promised LP", you feel that you've been cheated out on something that you deserve?
    1. Material Design
    2. ART (android runtime environment)
    3. Battery Saving Mode
    4. Better Encryption
    5. Recent Apps/Tabs redesign
    6. Status bar utilities (inverted colors, etc etc.)

Dude, the list goes on.
    Plus, bragging rights.

Posted via my Droid Turbo.
    03-16-2015 12:43 PM
    There are a few features in Lollipop that are nicer - the toggles in the notification bar; priority notifications; but, for the most part, they are minor, and the Turbo has some of these features already through the Moto app with Assist, etc. There was one app that I wanted to install that was lollipop-only but it was recently back-ported to KitKat so that's all set now.

These days, with a lot of Android's features being based on Google's Play Services, which doesn't require the latest version, there is less benefit to having the latest release compared with, say, iOS. However, one coming benefit is that more of the OS can be patched through Play Services and Play Store updates, so waiting for carriers to approve full OS updates will become less and less frustrating and critical going forward.

FWIW, the Turbo was promised Lollipop, but was never, ever promised a date. Any date anybody reads was just a rumor made up by somebody who has nothing to do with getting the update on the phone. I do think that Motorola and Verizon could have managed it by now if they thought it was important. I'm inferring that Advanced Calling is more important to Verizon than Lollipop, and maybe that Motorola's own brands are more important to them than Verizon's Droid brand (and who can criticize them for that?)
    Thanks for the response. Very helpful to me.

Sent from my Droid Turbo 64-gig from Tapatalk.
    03-16-2015 01:12 PM
    1. Material Design
    3. Battery Saving Mode
    4. Better Encryption

Dude, the list goes on.
    Plus, bragging rights.

Thx. That's exactly my point.

Sent from my Droid Turbo 64-gig from Tapatalk.
    MattRevs likes this.
    03-16-2015 01:13 PM
    1. Material Design**most apps have this baked in now**
    2. ART (android runtime environment)**exists on KK now**
    3. Battery Saving Mode**my G2 had it on KK and I never once used it**
    4. Better Encryption**I'm not a spy, drug dealer, or terrorist so not important to me**
    5. Recent Apps/Tabs redesign**available with most launchers**
    6. Status bar utilities (inverted colors, etc etc.)**notification toggles or power toggles covers this nicely**

Dude, the list goes on.
    Plus, bragging rights.

**my reasons that I'm not worried about Lollipop**

Sent from my Ballistic Turbo
    03-16-2015 01:35 PM
    Android Auto is the feature I want Lollipop on the Turbo for. I have a Pioneer AVH 4100NEX that supports Android Auto, which only runs on Lollipop.
    03-16-2015 09:28 PM
    1. Material Design
    3. Battery Saving Mode
    4. Better Encryption

Dude, the list goes on.
    Plus, bragging rights.

I have an S5 running Lollipop. I hate the new recent tabs redesign because they incorporated open browser tabs into that interface. I strongly dislike having to out to leave the browser to access recent apps, sort through all my recent apps in order to find browser tabs. Much prefer having this stay inside the browser.
    KPMcClave likes this.
    03-16-2015 09:32 PM
    1. Material Design
    3. Battery Saving Mode
    4. Better Encryption

Dude, the list goes on.
    Plus, bragging rights.

1. Don't really care.
    2. I have seen in on my N7 and there is a difference between ART on KK and LP, so yes.
    3. Doing fine on my Turbo, but more can't hurt.
    4. I was under the impression that they were getting rid of that due to the strain it put on the hardware and causing performance issues.
    5. Hate the recent apps redesign. Not the Rolodex design, but the fact that there are multiple cards for each app (different tabs, settings etc). One card per app was much cleaner.
    6. See #1.

I know there are more things LP brings to the table, but after using it on my N7, I'm OK waiting on it for my Turbo. I've found I'm using my N7 less with LP than with KK. Right off the bat I'm not impressed with the lock screen, and the keyboard wasn't the greatest with KK, it downright sucks with LP. So they can hold off for as long they want as far as I'm concerned.
    WOODY1974 likes this.
    03-16-2015 10:12 PM
    It's taking so long because we are getting 5.1 now with the patch for memory leak.

Sent from my Droid Turbo
    That bug is fixed but is not part of the 5.1 update its scheduled for future release right now per google.
    03-17-2015 12:56 AM
2,029 ... 1819202122 ...