06-30-2015 12:52 PM
2,029 ... 1920212223 ...
tools
    Different markets. Happens all of the time.

I understand the need to feel we always need the newest and greatest but stability is the most important. We don't need excessive battery drain and glitches. When we get Lollipop it should work without a hitch.
    There will *always* be hitches. Always. They simply can't control for the uncontrollable (the fact that for each one of us there is a unique set of installed apps, default choices, etc.).
    03-17-2015 08:09 AM
    What about lollipop are you in such a hurry to get? The battery drain? The memory leak?
    We're waiting because it's not ready. It's pretty simple - when it works right we'll get it.

Posted from my Droid Turbo, Kelly and Ozone
    It's my understanding that the incremental updates fixed the biggest issues with Lollipop 5.0.

That said, my wife has the Galaxy S5 on Verizon and has absolutely no issues at all on 5.0. This is anecdotal yes, but I also recall Android Central posting in an article not that long ago wondering aloud just how widespread the supposed Lollipop issues really are/were.

That isn't to say they didn't exist. As I've said already, there will always be issues for some of us. That can't be prevented because our setups (apps installed) are (maybe literally) all different.
    03-17-2015 08:15 AM
    I tend to agree with what you have said here, but disagree as well.

Each user will view things differently. I had the Galaxy S5 and when I did the update the phone was near unusable. Luckily it was a work line which I gave back now but still. Things worked, but it was soooooo slow, lagged like crazy and the experience in several ways was better on KK than Lollipop. But I also had 2 work emails with tons of folders syncing, and nearly no 3rd party apps.

Some people can live with certain things, some can't. That doesn't mean the sky is falling and the update is plagued with issues, it just means everyone's expectations can be different and that is ok.

All of that said, I can't wait to check out Lollipop on my Turbo. I think it will be a better experience (that's what I am telling myself atleast)
    03-17-2015 08:21 AM
    I tend to agree with what you have said here, but disagree as well.

Each user will view things differently. I had the Galaxy S5 and when I did the update the phone was near unusable. Luckily it was a work line which I gave back now but still. Things worked, but it was soooooo slow, lagged like crazy and the experience in several ways was better on KK than Lollipop. But I also had 2 work emails with tons of folders syncing, and nearly no 3rd party apps.

Some people can live with certain things, some can't. That doesn't mean the sky is falling and the update is plagued with issues, it just means everyone's expectations can be different and that is ok.

All of that said, I can't wait to check out Lollipop on my Turbo. I think it will be a better experience (that's what I am telling myself atleast)
    Exactly. I am very disappointed with the Turbo's camera. That's because one of the things I take pics of most is our daughter playing basketball. The Droid Maxx did an OK job in the same gym, time of day, etc. The Turbo plain sucks at these types of shots. I'm still hoping this can be corrected via software, and maybe in part the OS update itself.

For folks who rarely use the camera at all, or only shoot flowers outdoors or other such stationary shots in excellent lighting, this isn't an issue. The Turbo's camera does very well in ideal conditions.

Add that to the fact we all use different collections of apps (I'd be surprised if any two Turbos are *exactly* the same), and experiences really have to vary.
    03-17-2015 08:29 AM
    We'll be jumping right to 5.1...eventually:

http://www.droid-life.com/2015/03/18...o-android-5-1/
    03-18-2015 11:12 AM
    "No time frame." Annoying to hear that over and over.

Posted via the Android Central App
    KPMcClave likes this.
    03-18-2015 11:16 AM
    03-18-2015 11:16 AM
    "No time frame." Annoying to hear that over and over.

It's completely fair. Nobody knows the timeframe until the code that is developed passes internal Verizon testing. If it fails, then Moto has to fix and resubmit for testing, which is about a two week process. So, any timeframe would be a pure guess on Motorola's part now anyway.
    03-18-2015 11:24 AM
    It's completely fair. Nobody knows the timeframe until the code that is developed passes internal Verizon testing. If it fails, then Moto has to fix and resubmit for testing, which is about a two week process. So, any timeframe would be a pure guess on Motorola's part now anyway.
    Well, maybe, anyway. We don't know where they are in the testing process. They could start a soak test tomorrow...or not for two months.

By and large I dislike the CYA approach companies take. I prefer transparency (within reason). I know that there are yahoos out in the wild who will pitch a fit at 1 minute past the "promised" arrival of whatever it is they're waiting on, but I also believe if a company truly "gets it," shares general info that includes a timeframe (not a deadline) and is forthcoming when issues arise, customers will appreciate that. It will build strong brand loyalty over time.

Of course, this assumes that whatever company is doing that is competent enough to hit their timeframes reasonably. If it builds a reputation of nearly always having to push things back, that's hurtful to its rep, and it starts to be viewed as incompetent.

If you do a good job at what you do, stop being secretive for its own sake. If you expect to fail, you often will.
    dungoyle likes this.
    03-18-2015 11:52 AM
    It's always a lose-lose situation when they are transparent. Motorola has little control over when the software will be pushed by Verizon - vzw can choose to wait, for whatever reason - and verizon doesn't know when Motorola will complete it. If they publish dates, they either go conservative and say "by June" and get raked over the coals by rapid fans who want it NOW NOW NOW, or they go aggressive, say something like within 90 days, and they get pounded if they miss it. They get much less flack if they just say it's coming and don't promise a date. Like Samsung did, like HTC did not.

Motorola and Verizon can't know at lollipop launch that it will end up being so buggy it will require three major patches in four months, and they could only have started working on 5.1 as of two weeks ago or so, when the code was released to AOSP.
    03-18-2015 12:13 PM
    Is it better to say "yes, you'll get the update" or "yes, you'll get the update by this date"?

I like Motorola's approach because if they don't give a date, there is no date to miss which has happened recently with HTC.

And in terms of mindshare with enthusiasts, Motorola is seen as the best at updating their devices regardless of how good the others are.
    1Coopgt likes this.
    03-18-2015 12:22 PM
    It's always a lose-lose situation when they are transparent. Motorola has little control over when the software will be pushed by Verizon - vzw can choose to wait, for whatever reason - and verizon doesn't know when Motorola will complete it. If they publish dates, they either go conservative and say "by June" and get raked over the coals by rapid fans who want it NOW NOW NOW, or they go aggressive, say something like within 90 days, and they get pounded if they miss it. They get much less flack if they just say it's coming and don't promise a date. Like Samsung did, like HTC did not.

Motorola and Verizon can't know at lollipop launch that it will end up being so buggy it will require three major patches in four months, and they could only have started working on 5.1 as of two weeks ago or so, when the code was released to AOSP.
    I disagree, on the most basic level, that "it's always a lose-lose situation." Or at least that it must be.

You can help to set expectations by your actions. Avoiding the lowest common denominators as your primary goal is no way to build excellence. Plenty of people would welcome a company, in any field, that communicated genuine information (not the faux info that has become the norm..."I'm just stopping by to report I have nothing to report...") and was accountable for that information. That is, it didn't disappear when the timeframe it set couldn't be met.

As I said above, this does require that you do your work with a reasonable degree of competence. So that the info you share is usually correct and the apologies and push back of timelines is limited.

Not only is this sort of thing entirely possible and reasonable in virtually any field, including this one we're discussing, shame on us for accepting less so much it's become the norm.
    dungoyle likes this.
    03-18-2015 01:45 PM
    Is it better to say "yes, you'll get the update" or "yes, you'll get the update by this date"?

I like Motorola's approach because if they don't give a date, there is no date to miss which has happened recently with HTC.

And in terms of mindshare with enthusiasts, Motorola is seen as the best at updating their devices regardless of how good the others are.
    First of all, I don't know why we have to have "a date." Isn't "sometime next month" more info than we ever get? The important thing here is that communication isn't a singular event. You don't drop the plan and disappear. In an age of social media, and forums just like this one, how refreshing would it be to have the companies we choose to give our money actually engage us in a meaningful and ongoing way?

In this example, that means the timeline is fluid and we are being communicated with throughout that process. I'm not suggesting hiring even a single additional person. The structure is already in place by and large. Its just used incorrectly (or not at all).

I think there is this belief that its an either/or situation. Either they give us info (and risk our ire when they don't hit a deadline) or they stay silent (and frustrate us by playing it safe). They can most certainly provide more info than they do. It's my opinion they can do that, not only with little risk, but with the benefit of separating themselves from all the other CYA strategists.

I just think there's too much secrecy for its own sake.
    03-18-2015 01:58 PM
    03-18-2015 03:11 PM
    Thanks for posting.

Sent from my Droid Turbo 64-gig from Tapatalk.
    03-18-2015 03:25 PM
    **my reasons that I'm not worried about Lollipop**

Sent from my Ballistic Turbo
    My post was solely my OPINION, and was in response to someone asking what some of the basic advantages L brings.

03-18-2015 05:04 PM
    As far as I'm concerned, they can take as long as they want, in order to ensure it's bug-free as best as possible.
    To all the people who kept preaching to everyone that the wait was all about getting the bugs worked out and the longer the better... Just goes to prove that there's more to this then silly black and white conclusions.
    03-18-2015 05:24 PM
    To all the people who kept preaching to everyone that the wait was all about getting the bugs worked out and the longer the better... Just goes to prove that there's more to this then silly black and white conclusions.
    Not sure what you're getting at.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk
    03-18-2015 05:33 PM

It's not about dates, it's about communication. People just like to know what's going on. They like companies that actively communicate with their users over companies that are silent. People don't care if a company has good or bad news, they just want to know what's going on. Which Motorola eventually did communicate but nobody would have been upset if Motorola communicated they were heading in this direction earlier.

Palm was actually pretty good at communicating with their users. We didn't always like what they had to say but part of the reason why they had such die hard fans was because they reached out to the community and made us feel like they heard us and surprisingly acted on our wishes on a few occasions.
    KPMcClave likes this.
    03-18-2015 05:36 PM
    But what's bad is this waiting is why a lot of people just buy a HTC or Samsung.

from Droid Turbo
    03-18-2015 06:33 PM
    I have an S5 running Lollipop. I hate the new recent tabs redesign because they incorporated open browser tabs into that interface. I strongly dislike having to out to leave the browser to access recent apps, sort through all my recent apps in order to find browser tabs. Much prefer having this stay inside the browser.
    That is actually one of the major selling points for me. You should be able to turn that off in chrome settings. To each his own though.

03-18-2015 06:35 PM
    Not in the least. 90% of smartphone users don't know or care what version of Android they have. At all.
    travaz likes this.
    03-18-2015 08:06 PM
    So we're gonna get 5.1 eventually. Cool. Just got it on my Nexus 10 and it looks good, so I'm looking forward to it. In the meantime, I'm gonna use my awesome Turbo on 4.4.4 and live my life.

Oh, I'm gonna unsubscribe from this thread, too. I thought I knew what the thread was about, but now it seems like just a debate without a purpose. I wish you all well, hope the best person wins (;-)), and I look forward to reading how well 5.1 goes for y'all when we get it! :-)

Sent from my Droid Turbo using Tapatalk
    03-18-2015 10:42 PM
    It's not about dates, it's about communication. People just like to know what's going on. They like companies that actively communicate with their users over companies that are silent. People don't care if a company has good or bad news, they just want to know what's going on. Which Motorola eventually did communicate but nobody would have been upset if Motorola communicated they were heading in this direction earlier.

Palm was actually pretty good at communicating with their users. We didn't always like what they had to say but part of the reason why they had such die hard fans was because they reached out to the community and made us feel like they heard us and surprisingly acted on our wishes on a few occasions.
    Punit Soni did a good job when he was at Motorola.

Luciano is trying but he's different.

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)
    KPMcClave likes this.
    03-18-2015 11:28 PM
    But what's bad is this waiting is why a lot of people just buy a HTC or Samsung.

from Droid Turbo
    Doubt it.

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)
    ggrr8t likes this.
    03-18-2015 11:30 PM
2,029 ... 1920212223 ...