Droid Turbo: Lollipop software update?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dungoyle

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
So the motoroloa turbo in India will come out of the box with lollipop? And we're still waiting why?

Posted via the Android Central App
Same reason LG rolled out the G3 update in Poland (I think was there) first. Screw up a small area, and you have a small cleanup job. The corollary is obvious.

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
The other thing to remember some/all of these phones in the other markets are not Droid Turbos. The Turbo is a Verizon only phone with a unique combination of hardware and software. The hardware is sold under different names, and the Turbo's software includes Verizon specific features and apps that must be tested. If you look at all the issues that have happened on Lollipop so far with other devices I can't really fault Verizon for taking the wait and see attitude toward Lollipop.

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
So the motoroloa turbo in India will come out of the box with lollipop? And we're still waiting why?

What about lollipop are you in such a hurry to get? The battery drain? The memory leak?
We're waiting because it's not ready. It's pretty simple - when it works right we'll get it.

Posted from my Droid Turbo, Kelly and Ozone

MattRevs

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
The other thing to remember some/all of these phones in the other markets are not Droid Turbos. The Turbo is a Verizon only phone with a unique combination of hardware and software. The hardware is sold under different names, and the Turbo's software includes Verizon specific features and apps that must be tested. If you look at all the issues that have happened on Lollipop so far with other devices I can't really fault Verizon for taking the wait and see attitude toward Lollipop.

I think Verizon should just bag the lollipop project and start optimizing the Turbo for Android M. They obviously are very busy on other things, so lollipop on Droid Turbo probably isn't worth their time in their eyes.

They probably figure that because only a whopping 3% of devices run 5.0 anyway, nobody would care about lollipop, and may even vote against the update altogether.

Sent from my Droid Turbo

Last edited:

Murph5150

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I'd think, since the Turbo is exclusive to Verizon, the update would come quicker. They don't need to make the update be compatible with Sprint, T-Mobile, or AT&T. Just one carrier.

MattRevs

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
I'd think, since the Turbo is exclusive to Verizon, the update would come quicker. They don't need to make the update be compatible with Sprint, T-Mobile, or AT&T. Just one carrier.

Then why don't we have it yet? We've been waiting since December.

this_is_nascar

May 25, 2012
Visit site
For you folks that have a never ending hard-on to get LP for the Turbo, what exact function/feature are you looking for that you don't have now in KK on the Turbo? Not trying to be a smart-a** or anything, I'm just trying to understand what my Turbo is missing out on and what I should look forward to in getting LP or is it simply that "because the Turbo was promised LP", you feel that you've been cheated out on something that you deserve?

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
There are a few features in Lollipop that are nicer - the toggles in the notification bar; priority notifications; but, for the most part, they are minor, and the Turbo has some of these features already through the Moto app with Assist, etc. There was one app that I wanted to install that was lollipop-only but it was recently back-ported to KitKat so that's all set now.

These days, with a lot of Android's features being based on Google's Play Services, which doesn't require the latest version, there is less benefit to having the latest release compared with, say, iOS. However, one coming benefit is that more of the OS can be patched through Play Services and Play Store updates, so waiting for carriers to approve full OS updates will become less and less frustrating and critical going forward.

FWIW, the Turbo was promised Lollipop, but was never, ever promised a date. Any date anybody reads was just a rumor made up by somebody who has nothing to do with getting the update on the phone. I do think that Motorola and Verizon could have managed it by now if they thought it was important. I'm inferring that Advanced Calling is more important to Verizon than Lollipop, and maybe that Motorola's own brands are more important to them than Verizon's Droid brand (and who can criticize them for that?)

MattRevs

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
For you folks that have a never ending hard-on to get LP for the Turbo, what exact function/feature are you looking for that you don't have now in KK on the Turbo? Not trying to be a smart-a** or anything, I'm just trying to understand what my Turbo is missing out on and what I should look forward to in getting LP or is it simply that "because the Turbo was promised LP", you feel that you've been cheated out on something that you deserve?

1. Material Design
2. ART (android runtime environment)
3. Battery Saving Mode
4. Better Encryption
5. Recent Apps/Tabs redesign
6. Status bar utilities (inverted colors, etc etc.)

Dude, the list goes on.
Plus, bragging rights.

Posted via my Droid Turbo.

this_is_nascar

May 25, 2012
Visit site
There are a few features in Lollipop that are nicer - the toggles in the notification bar; priority notifications; but, for the most part, they are minor, and the Turbo has some of these features already through the Moto app with Assist, etc. There was one app that I wanted to install that was lollipop-only but it was recently back-ported to KitKat so that's all set now.

These days, with a lot of Android's features being based on Google's Play Services, which doesn't require the latest version, there is less benefit to having the latest release compared with, say, iOS. However, one coming benefit is that more of the OS can be patched through Play Services and Play Store updates, so waiting for carriers to approve full OS updates will become less and less frustrating and critical going forward.

FWIW, the Turbo was promised Lollipop, but was never, ever promised a date. Any date anybody reads was just a rumor made up by somebody who has nothing to do with getting the update on the phone. I do think that Motorola and Verizon could have managed it by now if they thought it was important. I'm inferring that Advanced Calling is more important to Verizon than Lollipop, and maybe that Motorola's own brands are more important to them than Verizon's Droid brand (and who can criticize them for that?)
Thanks for the response. Very helpful to me.

Sent from my Droid Turbo 64-gig from Tapatalk.

this_is_nascar

May 25, 2012
Visit site
1. Material Design
3. Battery Saving Mode
4. Better Encryption

Dude, the list goes on.
Plus, bragging rights.

Thx. That's exactly my point.

Sent from my Droid Turbo 64-gig from Tapatalk.

JJ Jones

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
1. Material Design**most apps have this baked in now**
2. ART (android runtime environment)**exists on KK now**
3. Battery Saving Mode**my G2 had it on KK and I never once used it**
4. Better Encryption**I'm not a spy, drug dealer, or terrorist so not important to me**
5. Recent Apps/Tabs redesign**available with most launchers**
6. Status bar utilities (inverted colors, etc etc.)**notification toggles or power toggles covers this nicely**

Dude, the list goes on.
Plus, bragging rights.

**my reasons that I'm not worried about Lollipop**

Sent from my Ballistic Turbo

hansjs

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site

Android Auto is the feature I want Lollipop on the Turbo for. I have a Pioneer AVH 4100NEX that supports Android Auto, which only runs on Lollipop.

hansjs

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
1. Material Design
3. Battery Saving Mode
4. Better Encryption

Dude, the list goes on.
Plus, bragging rights.

I have an S5 running Lollipop. I hate the new recent tabs redesign because they incorporated open browser tabs into that interface. I strongly dislike having to out to leave the browser to access recent apps, sort through all my recent apps in order to find browser tabs. Much prefer having this stay inside the browser.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
1. Material Design
3. Battery Saving Mode
4. Better Encryption

Dude, the list goes on.
Plus, bragging rights.

1. Don't really care.
2. I have seen in on my N7 and there is a difference between ART on KK and LP, so yes.
3. Doing fine on my Turbo, but more can't hurt.
4. I was under the impression that they were getting rid of that due to the strain it put on the hardware and causing performance issues.
5. Hate the recent apps redesign. Not the Rolodex design, but the fact that there are multiple cards for each app (different tabs, settings etc). One card per app was much cleaner.
6. See #1.

I know there are more things LP brings to the table, but after using it on my N7, I'm OK waiting on it for my Turbo. I've found I'm using my N7 less with LP than with KK. Right off the bat I'm not impressed with the lock screen, and the keyboard wasn't the greatest with KK, it downright sucks with LP. So they can hold off for as long they want as far as I'm concerned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair