06-30-2015 01:52 PM
2,029 ... 2526272829 ...
tools
    Its all out fault for buying the turbo we should of learned our lesson by now. Should always buy a nexus phone straight from google then no more Verizon politics.
    XBBSTORM likes this.
    04-05-2015 02:51 AM
    So you expect it because you gave them money. You gave them money for the device, not for a service contract. When we bought these devices we bought them as-is with a warranty period. There is no guarantee of software updates anywhere in the fine print. You buy these devices for what they are at the time of sale, not for what they could be with a different software version on them after the fact, because nothing is guaranteed. There are some devices that are still on the version they shipped with.

You can expect all you want in one hand and s#%t in the other and see which gets filled first. That's just how it is.
    I also pay a hefty amount monthly for LTE service which is extremely hit or miss and VZW coverage maps lie about actual coverage so I think I have a right to be a complainer
    cooper_m22 likes this.
    04-05-2015 08:30 AM
    I also pay a hefty amount monthly for LTE service which is extremely hit or miss and VZW coverage maps lie about actual coverage so I think I have a right to be a complainer
    So does everyone else who has service with Verizon, you can't have anything but LTE unless you're on prepaid, and I think even now you get LTE on that. And yes I know their coverage isn't the same as on their maps, I'm in an area that should be completely covered, but in actuality I'm on the fringe of a tower. We have just enough signal to get a signal in the house so we're using Network Extenders.

But that actually affects the ability to use their service, this update is not fixing any bugs that are keeping the phone from being usable. If anything, going to Lollipop has more of a risk of doing something that will affect it's ability to work.
    04-05-2015 10:00 AM
    Updating IOS is nowhere near the scale it takes to update Android. Apple = 2 Models with the same software. Android on Verizon =30 Current Android models for sale and 14 Tablets. And that doesn't include the older models that are no longer for sale. Its an Apples to Oranges comparison,
    I800C0LLECT likes this.
    04-05-2015 11:58 AM
    Microsoft seems to be able to put out updates capable of running on multiple hardware platforms. It's the skinning by manufacturers & carriers wanting to get revenue bloatware added that's the problem. Boils down to greed in my opinion.
    cooper_m22 and Bradfordrose like this.
    04-05-2015 12:12 PM
    Updating IOS is nowhere near the scale it takes to update Android. Apple = 2 Models with the same software.
    Apple's updates almost always go back three years on phones and longer on tablets, so iOS 9 will update to whatever is new this year, iPhone 6 and 6+, iPhone 5s, iPhone 5, iPhone 4s (maybe), iPad Air 2, iPad Air, iPad 4, iPad 3 (maybe), iPad 2 (maybe), all of the iPad Minis. Oh, and Apple TV is usually an update behind (they are on iOS 7 right now). These are all running different processors and GPUs and have different amounts of RAM. They update hardware that goes a lot further back than Google or any Android OEM does, and the same update works for phones and tablets, with obviously older models still getting updates but often missing out on some features that their hardware cannot support.

Apple's beta versions are well-publicized (see here and here even) so everybody knows when minor updates are being worked on, and they definitely announce the major releases at their developer conference (usually in June) and then at the iPhone announcements (usually in early September), where they give a definitive date for release.

Google seems to be doing more of a beta test when they release in fall every year, dumping a release that is nowhere near tested and ready compared with Apple (and Microsoft). Lollipop *definitely* seemed that way.
    04-05-2015 12:59 PM
    We keep going in circles here...

The problem with updates for Android, are that they get passed down from developer to manufactur, to the carriers. Motorola and Google are off the hook with all the updates. It's been clear for years that it's Verizon in this whole chain, they want to make sure they add their crappy bloatware, and apps that they want you to use instead.

Instead of pointing the finger at the companies that have made our phone, and our OS, why not look at how much Verizon is charging for not only the phone and the use of it, and realize just how much they are controlling the big picture.
    But what they have missed is, untimely updates are making for disgruntled customers who or less and less likely to want to continue paying for crap service.

Verizon came about after the merger of many smaller companies. Do you really think they have you as a customers best interest at heart? I say no, because they are clearly trying to make money off of us. There is no, we want to give you the best service, no we can reduce our prices. The cost of running the company can't be in the billions. If it is, there's a big problem with their business model.
    So as I said, point the finger at the carrier. This being Verizon, ask questions the next time you call customer support, see if they can answer, and if they can't, see if they will brush you off or find someone that can.
    cooper_m22 likes this.
    04-05-2015 01:34 PM
    We keep going in circles here...

The problem with updates for Android, are that they get passed down from developer to manufactur, to the carriers. Motorola and Google are off the hook with all the updates. It's been clear for years that it's Verizon in this whole chain, they want to make sure they add their crappy bloatware, and apps that they want you to use instead.

Instead of pointing the finger at the companies that have made our phone, and our OS, why not look at how much Verizon is charging for not only the phone and the use of it, and realize just how much they are controlling the big picture.
    But what they have missed is, untimely updates are making for disgruntled customers who or less and less likely to want to continue paying for crap service.

Verizon came about after the merger of many smaller companies. Do you really think they have you as a customers best interest at heart? I say no, because they are clearly trying to make money off of us. There is no, we want to give you the best service, no we can reduce our prices. The cost of running the company can't be in the billions. If it is, there's a big problem with their business model.
    So as I said, point the finger at the carrier. This being Verizon, ask questions the next time you call customer support, see if they can answer, and if they can't, see if they will brush you off or find someone that can.
    Agreed. Whenever I've called in to Verizon, I know more about their company than they do 100% of the times with the level 1 CSRs, and about 75% with the level 2 techs. If you want a really good laugh, ask them about a rumored update or upcoming device. I may not be able to see them, but by what I can hear over the phone, I have to assume it's a deer in headlights look. And in most any case, call in 10 times and ask the same question, and you'll get about 7 different and usually conflicting answers.
    Bradfordrose likes this.
    04-05-2015 02:47 PM
    Agreed. Whenever I've called in to Verizon, I know more about their company than they do 100% of the times with the level 1 CSRs, and about 75% with the level 2 techs. If you want a really good laugh, ask them about a rumored update or upcoming device. I may not be able to see them, but by what I can hear over the phone, I have to assume it's a deer in headlights look. And in most any case, call in 10 times and ask the same question, and you'll get about 7 different and usually conflicting answers.
    Its the simple fact, that no one is informed anymore. No one actually cares that works there.
    I had to use my Turbo screen replacement a few weeks ago I had two different stories from reps at Verizon, I walk into the corporate store, and get another story. I'm told "I'm sorry for the miss information Mr. Rose, but we don't do that" I brought up the screenshot of the information on Verizon's own Web page, and long behold, the deer in the headlights look. It took the guy 10 mins to come back out and tell me I was right, but that it wasn't something Verizon did.
    So I asked, "who knows what is going on around here?" he said that he "would look into it".
    So I walked outside and called Verizon in the parking lot and got yet another story, that Verizon does do this service, but it originates with Motorola.
    I joked with the woman on the phone about a new Droid OS coming out, she not only did that umm ah I don't know, but moved onto something else. Hello? Do we have stupid people working there?...
    I walked back inside after the phone call, and proceeded to ask the guy to check the notes on my account in his spiffy little ipad, and again the deer in the headlights look!!! He didn't say anything and I walked out and went home. It amazes me how much people in the public are uneducated about their job/position and the company they work for..
    KPMcClave likes this.
    04-05-2015 03:01 PM
    So... The Verizon G2 has Lollipop now.

Sent from my (still relevant) Droid Maxx
    04-06-2015 02:50 AM
    Where my understanding falls apart is that this isn't a case where there are multiple variants that need consideration. It's exclusive to Verizon. Moto/Google don't need to update Sprint CDMA, AT&T and T-Mobile GSM capable phones.

So given only Verizon carries this phone (and India) why is it so difficult to roll out an update to a single carrier?

This isn't a complaint. 4.4 has worked well. This is my confusion explained. Perhaps there is a legitimate difficulty. I know they have to update the Turbo directly to 5.1 for VoLTE. Is that why 5.1 is taking so long? Or does anyone else have an idea why the update is taking much longer than we all expected?

Posted via the Android Central App
    04-06-2015 03:50 AM
    Where my understanding falls apart is that this isn't a case where there are multiple variants that need consideration. It's exclusive to Verizon. Moto/Google don't need to update Sprint CDMA, AT&T and T-Mobile GSM capable phones.

So given only Verizon carries this phone (and India) why is it so difficult to roll out an update to a single carrier?

This isn't a complaint. 4.4 has worked well. This is my confusion explained. Perhaps there is a legitimate difficulty. I know they have to update the Turbo directly to 5.1 for VoLTE. Is that why 5.1 is taking so long? Or does anyone else have an idea why the update is taking much longer than we all expected?

Its the carrier, not anyone else. The carrier is dragging their feet. The whole 5.1 thing was because they wasted time on the advanced calling patch that we got first. 5.1 just so happens to have that feature standard.
    04-06-2015 06:55 AM
    And another day passes. I'll just leave this right here: http://www.droid-life.com/2015/04/06...o-android-5-1/
    04-06-2015 04:20 PM
    Verizon doesn't care who owns the Turbo. Marketing is on to bigger and better fish (customers) to fry
    04-06-2015 04:45 PM
    Verizon doesn't care who owns the Turbo. Marketing is on to bigger and better fish (customers) to fry
    I see non stop Blue nylon turbo commercials on TV. They may not care, but they are still marketing the thing.
    04-06-2015 07:57 PM
    Its the carrier, not anyone else. The carrier is dragging their feet. The whole 5.1 thing was because they wasted time on the advanced calling patch that we got first. 5.1 just so happens to have that feature standard.
    Carrier has nothing to test if the OEM isn't submitting an update.

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)
    04-06-2015 10:36 PM

The update comes from Motorola. They have other devices ahead of the Turbo on their schedule.

04-06-2015 10:37 PM
    And another day passes. I'll just leave this right here: http://www.droid-life.com/2015/04/06...o-android-5-1/
    And?

In all fairness, that phone should be the second Motorola device to get updated to the latest OS after the Nexus 6.

04-06-2015 10:38 PM
    We should have it by mid July.
    04-06-2015 10:50 PM
    Its all out fault for buying the turbo we should of learned our lesson by now. Should always buy a nexus phone straight from google then no more Verizon politics.
    So I should buy a phone I don't want because Verizon is doing nothing wrong as far as I'm concerned? Thanks but I'll pass.
    04-06-2015 11:09 PM
    No you should buy what makes you happy. I know this will be my last "droid" branded phone.
    cooper_m22 likes this.
    04-06-2015 11:13 PM
    I hope, if nothing else, this thread teaches the consumer to purchase a product based on what it is at the time of purchase and not based on what it's promised to become in the future. Living for over 50 years, I've learned this lesson a very long time ago.

Sent from my Droid Turbo 64-gig from Tapatalk.
    04-07-2015 09:51 AM
    I hope, if nothing else, this thread teaches the consumer to purchase a product based on what it is at the time of purchase and not based on what it's promised to become in the future. Living for over 50 years, I've learned this lesson a very long time ago.

Sent from my Droid Turbo 64-gig from Tapatalk.
    Yes and no.

If you buy a car, it isn't going to include upgrades after the fact unless you decide to purchase those. If you buy a gadget, that isn't necessarily the same, and it certainly isn't where smartphones are concerned.

I think you're offering advice that is sound as can be for something that is static. It becomes murkier when you're talking about something that can have its software updated. Especially when the update has been officially announced.

I'm certainly not suggesting that anyone should buy something they don't like now for the promise of an update later, but I also don't think, in the technology based world in which we now live, it's an either/or thing anymore.

I don't recall exactly when it was official, but if the Turbo wasn't released with the info official that it would get Lollipop, it wasn't long after launch. That means a lot of Turbos were sold to folks who knew they'd be getting Lollipop (and many more who don't care). More recently, a smaller number of Turbo's have been sold to owners who know they'll eventually be getting 5.1.

Regardless of anyone's level of patience, or lack there of, as to *when* updates come, it is entirely possible in this arena to be happy with your current purchase and also want the update.
    wired396 likes this.
    04-07-2015 12:37 PM
    This whole discussion is stupid.

"I was promised the update"
    "I don't want bugs cuz buggy bugs are bugs and you guys are dumb for wanting a buggy update."
    "it's the carriers fault! Regardless of bugs we should be blaming someone!"
    "well if we're blaming anyone I think Motorola should try harder to push it forward because *I was promised the update*"

I have this thread favorited for news but it's the same circlejerk every page, but now people are complaining about the various complaints. What wasted effort of is coming here.

travaz, sdrolz, mrtonk and 4 others like this.
    04-07-2015 01:43 PM
    This whole discussion is stupid.

"I was promised the update"
    "I don't want bugs cuz buggy bugs are bugs and you guys are dumb for wanting a buggy update."
    "it's the carriers fault! Regardless of bugs we should be blaming someone!"
    "well if we're blaming anyone I think Motorola should try harder to push it forward because *I was promised the update*"

I have this thread favorited for news but it's the same circlejerk every page, but now people are complaining about the various complaints. What wasted effort of is coming here.

And now you're complaining about people complaining about people complaining. The circle is complete.
    sdrolz, deesugar, mrtonk and 2 others like this.
    04-07-2015 03:31 PM
2,029 ... 2526272829 ...