06-30-2015 12:52 PM
2,029 12345 ...
tools
    I know its a different build but I installed 5.0 on a nexus 7 and dont have any issues with it at all.
    I can't remember what version that bug is in but that's not one I've heard so far and I'm sure they'll get that one figured out quickly. How are you liking it on the 7? Noticeable difference in battery life or no?
    11-15-2014 05:55 PM
    Its different but I like it. Its probably the biggest change I have seen yet in an aidroid device. Going from ICS to JB was not as noticeable of a change as this is. Took me a couple days to get used to it. The battery saving feature is the most important thing for me. My 7 is wifi only but Ive had it turned on since last night. Great battery life so far. 92% left and its probably at 18 hours. The thing that sucks is side loading it wipes it clean. So all games were reinstalled as new. No progress saved.
    11-15-2014 06:06 PM
    I wish Verizon would post something about their update plans for the Droid Turbo.

It's pretty silly that they did not have their roadmap to Lollipop planned out with expected dates ahead of the launch of this new flagship phone, especially as we approach Christmas. But I have come to expect this ineptitude from Verizon.
    11-20-2014 07:20 AM
    I wish Verizon would post something about their update plans for the Droid Turbo.

It's pretty silly that they did not have their roadmap to Lollipop planned out with expected dates ahead of the launch of this new flagship phone, especially as we approach Christmas. But I have come to expect this ineptitude from Verizon.
    How is Verizon gonna have an update roadmap? They have no way to force a manufacturer to update a phone and no way to make sure they do it in a timely manner. I don't remember Verizon ever having an update roadmap for any phone. But continue on with your ignorant Verizon hate, it's what people around here so best.

Posted from my Droid Turbo, Kelly and Ozone
    11-20-2014 08:07 AM

LOL.
    11-20-2014 08:17 AM
    Per https://motorola-global-portal.custh...T1ZSOGRtN20ifQ, the Droid Turbo Lollipop update is "pending partner support". I took that to mean that it is now in Verizon's hands.

Is it too much to ask that Verizon give some (very) rough estimates?

And my Verizon "hate" isn't ignorant. They have horrible customer support. They never even sent me a text message regarding the $100 trade in offer after I purchased my Droid Turbo, and it took 5 hours of phone calls to get through to someone that knew what the hell I was talking about.

Their network can't be beat in my area, which is why I stick with them.
    11-20-2014 09:13 AM
    Actually, I think it is. Motorola explained last year that failing carrier testing is a two week cycle between tests. How does Verizon know if Motorola's code will work?

What's the upside for Verizon for publishing a date? The worst thing that can happen is that the code fails testing, several times, and the update is weeks late, and everybody's pissed that it's late. Or, you meet the date and the code is buggy, so everybody is pissed. (Last year's Droids had a bug with the KitKat update that caused many people to lose connectivity to any Google accounts if they went through an area with no mobile signal. That happened to some people every day, and wasn't fixed for six months.)

If you somehow meet the date, nobody gives you credit, they just shrug.

Both Verizon and Motorola are much better off not publicizing an update schedule, frankly. Maybe an HTC-ish "within 90 days"? That'd probably be fine. Otherwise, there's no upside and a lot of potential downside.
    travaz likes this.
    11-20-2014 09:27 AM
    How is Verizon gonna have an update roadmap? They have no way to force a manufacturer to update a phone and no way to make sure they do it in a timely manner. I don't remember Verizon ever having an update roadmap for any phone. But continue on with your ignorant Verizon hate, it's what people around here so best.

Woah dude, relax.

Posted via the Android Central App
    11-20-2014 09:34 AM
    Per https://motorola-global-portal.custh...T1ZSOGRtN20ifQ, the Droid Turbo Lollipop update is "pending partner support". I took that to mean that it is now in Verizon's hands.

And my Verizon "hate" isn't ignorant. They have horrible customer support. They never even sent me a text message regarding the $100 trade in offer after I purchased my Droid Turbo, and it took 5 hours of phone calls to get through to someone that knew what the hell I was talking about.

Their network can't be beat in my area, which is why I stick with them.
    Wait, what? What does a trade in credit have to do with posting an update schedule?
    And why don't you post your own update schedule? You have pretty much the same ability to make manufacturers get their updates done timely and correctly as Verizon does. I guess everyone should be mad at you because you haven't posted an update schedule.

BlueBlazer60 likes this.
    11-20-2014 09:39 AM
    Woah dude, relax.

I'm very relaxed, thanks

11-20-2014 09:40 AM
    I'm very relaxed, thanks

I'm sensing a bit of passive aggressiveness. You should'nt make implications, just stick to the topic.This isn't iMore.
    11-20-2014 10:12 AM
    I'm sensing a bit of passive aggressiveness. You should'nt make implications, just stick to the topic.This isn't iMore.
    You sense wrong. My post was very much on topic and didn't imply anything.

11-20-2014 10:26 AM
    You sense wrong. My post was very much on topic and didn't imply anything.

Unprovoked, you did pretty much accuse someone's opinion as being baseless and caused by "ignorant verizon hate."
    11-20-2014 10:29 AM
    Unprovoked, you did pretty much accuse someone's opinion as being baseless and caused by "ignorant verizon hate."
    I called his comment or for what it was. Is as simple as that. What is the basis for anything that he posted? It's s not at all up to Verizon to post a schedule of when phones will be updated, but he called them inept for not doing it. That's ignorantly hating on them.

11-20-2014 10:39 AM
    I called his comment or for what it was. Is as simple as that. What is the basis for anything that he posted? It's s not at all up to Verizon to post a schedule of when phones will be updated, but he called them inept for not doing it. That's ignorantly hating on them.

He gave his opinion on what he wished verizon would do and his opinion that this information would be helpful at the launch of a phone on the cusp of a major software update.

He can think verizon is inept for a numbers of reasons, many of which could be personal experiences, which would make his opinion of verizon being inept have some basis and therefore not be "ignorant" as you like to put it.
    11-20-2014 10:44 AM
    He gave his opinion on what he wished verizon would do and his opinion that this information would be helpful at the launch of a phone on the cusp of a major software update.

He can think verizon is inept for a numbers of reasons, many of which could be personal experiences, which would make his opinion of verizon being inept have some basis and therefore not be "ignorant" as you like to put it.
    So you didn't really read what he wrote and don't understand the difference between a carrier and a manufacturer. Got it. Carry on I'm done here.

11-20-2014 10:48 AM
    So you didn't really read what he wrote and don't understand the difference between a carrier and a manufacturer. Got it. Carry on I'm done here.

Motorola has finalized the software, it is up to verizon to approve it and push it out. Delays on software rollouts generally come from the carrier not the manufacturer. Which is why EmptyJ wished verizon gave updates on when THEY will release the software, much like how Motorola gives updates on where they are at in the rollout of a software update.
    ckelly33 and travaz like this.
    11-20-2014 11:01 AM
    Motorola has finalized the software, it is up to verizon to approve it and push it out.
    You don't know that from that status. The way it works is that the carriers tell the OEMs which particular apps or functions that they require on the update before it can go to testing. The status that was reported by Motorola can simply mean that they are waiting for Verizon to provide that.

And, as I said earlier, if it is in carrier testing and fails, it takes weeks until it can be tested again. How can Verizon possibly know if the software will pass or fail testing, how many cycles it will go through before it passes, etc.?
    donsmith1964 likes this.
    11-20-2014 11:30 AM
    Motorola has finalized the software, it is up to verizon to approve it and push it out. Delays on software rollouts generally come from the carrier not the manufacturer. Which is why EmptyJ wished verizon gave updates on when THEY will release the software, much like how Motorola gives updates on where they are at in the rollout of a software update.
    We do not and cannot know that Motorola has finished the update.
    11-20-2014 12:25 PM
    It has also not been long enough to be impatient. Very few phones are running lollipop.
    tvouge, travaz and Ricardo Ono like this.
    11-20-2014 12:26 PM
    I'm happy to wait for lollipop. So far the issues far outweigh the benefits, especially considering most google apps already are updated to material design. 4.4 is solid, and you can customize Nova to act and look like lollipop without the problems lollipop currently has.

travaz, Stratman Rick and Clocks like this.
    11-20-2014 03:00 PM
    WARNING! DO NOT DOWNLOAD LOLLIPOP UPDATE! I just got the update yesterday.This new update is junk and now multiple applications don't work properly. It has also added multiple useless steps just opening the phone, trying to dial a contact, looking at email. Skype doesn't work, the calender doesn't work properly. I called up customer support and I have been advised that now I can't get rid of the operating system and go back to KitKat so I have to spend hours just getting my normal apps to work properly. They couldn't even help with my non-functioning apps because they don't know enough about it. They referred me to the website for all my questions. Complete junk! Very pissed!
    11-20-2014 03:15 PM
    Are you in the soak test? I haven't heard of it being released for the turbo....
    11-20-2014 03:16 PM
    I read today on Droid-Life that encryption which is on at first boot on the Nexus 6 and 9 are seriously impeding the performance. Apparently AnandTech did a test of a non encrypted Nexus 6 they got from Motorola and an encrypted one like everyone else gets. They're seeing a 63% drop in read speed and a 50% drop in write speed. But the kicker is there isn't a way to turn them off on the Nexus 6 and 9. Apparently with any device that updates to Lollipop, a FDR will leave it in an unencrypted state. This makes me want to hold off on Lollipop for now on my Nexus 7, and possibly on my other devices until they get this ironed out.

As far as the Verizon issue some of you were commenting on, Verizon doesn't give a roadmap to anything they do, device wise. And in other areas, any roadmaos they do give is in terms of years or quarters. I remember trying to find out when the HTC Thunderbolt was going to be available, and they wouldn't say a word until it dropped. And I've NEVER heard them say ANYTHING about updates. They treat them as a private thing between them and the OEM. Their explanation is they don't want to give a date, however vague, and then not meet it. Half of the time they won't even comment on testing updates. They only news you hear about updates is from the OEM. I don't think I've even heard another carrier talk about updates, except to say it's getting pulled.
    travaz likes this.
    11-20-2014 03:44 PM
    WARNING! DO NOT DOWNLOAD LOLLIPOP UPDATE! I just got the update yesterday.This new update is junk ....

wow, sorry to hear that the update was bad for you. On the bright side this mean lollipop will arrive a lot sooner than I had anticipated, I was thinking Jan/Feb. Hopefully they will have the bugs squashed by December.
    11-20-2014 03:45 PM
2,029 12345 ...