Droid Turbo: Lollipop software update?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
Why do some people assume we want something as often as daily or weekly updates? That's ridiculous and not what anyone is asking for. The reason I asked what kind of official updates we've received (and I'll concede that the posts on social media count), is that I wanted a generally tally of updates we've received on this device. Looks like we've received 3-4 updates over the course of 5 months which really only give one message: Droid Turbo is getting Lollipop, and we're targeting 5.1.

This is great. What I think many of us would like as an improvement is a simple, general idea of a timeline and more frequent general updates. A monthly status update would go miles - something like "We're still working on bringing Android 5.1 to the Droid Turbo, hopefully in the first quarter of 2015, but don't hold us to that. Will give you another update in a month."

Sure, if they miss their deadline some people will get mad. But opening communication and being honest with us will be a net benefit to the community.

(And granted, delays could be on Moto or Verizon's end, which throws an extra, super frustrating monkey wrench into the situation.)

No one is assuming anything. I asked a question that i didn't know the answer to...that is the exact opposite of assuming.
How is wanting a monthly update that gives no new information any better than wanting a weekly update that gives no new information? Doesn't it make more sense to give updates when there's something to report rather than just because it's on the calendar? What if they give am update and then 4 days later something major happens, do they wait until the next month to tell us?
You basically said you want them to tell us "its coming next month unless it doesn't" what the point of that? Do you just need to be comforted?
I apologize if i sound condescending. We were given a status and have gotten updates when that status has changed and i really don't understand what else people want or why they would want something else.

Posted from my Droid Turbo, Kelly and Ozone

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Just to add to this, David Schuster of Motorola has said in the past (last May on Google+, when asked about updates to the 2013 Droid line) that they are under NDA and cannot freely discuss updates to the Droids without permission. And hinted that he'd like to discuss more about what was going on.

The last thing that I would have wanted was an artificial deadline (like HTC's 90 days, which was missed). As I've said before, creating deadlines that you are not sure you can meet and do not control the final approval on is worthless and gets Motorola in particular nothing unless, and only unless, they overdeliver. They certainly have not been able to in this case, though they've done a good job on the underpromise side.

Rob_B

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
I've been wondering if verizon or Motorola is the holdup. VZW seems to be advertising the Turbo more lately on TV but has been mute on Android 5 status. The "we're skipping 5 and going straight to 5.1 only open the door to.... make that 5.1.1, no sorry we meant 5.1.1.* ect ect. It can continue to be pushed because of bugs forever. My 4.4.4 is still hit/miss on voice & data because of verizon's wrong assumption that all of Rochester NY has full LTE coverage (then they use the weenie wording to say it depends on a lot of things). I'd be happy if the radio worked & I got full LTE where verizon claims it is.

TechCaptain

Jan 3, 2015
Visit site
All I freakin' want is an ETA. That's it. And if they don't meet it, then a newly updated ETA. Is that so hard? Hell, I get way better KI updates than I've ever gotten with this.

Sent from my (still relevant) Droid Maxx

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
You just gave an example of the kind of communication you'd like, and that is exactly what we got from Moto. They said we'd get lollipop. When that situation got changed, they told us we'd be going straight to 5.1 because it had volte support baked in. So if they're updating us when things change what more do you want? Is it back to what me and Ry said? Do you want them to come out every week and say "yep, we're still working on it"? Or does it really just get down to you wanting to know when the update will come?

Posted from my Droid Turbo, Kelly and Ozone

It comes down to what I said. Not what you're saying for me.

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Why do some people assume we want something as often as daily or weekly updates? That's ridiculous and not what anyone is asking for. The reason I asked what kind of official updates we've received (and I'll concede that the posts on social media count), is that I wanted a generally tally of updates we've received on this device. Looks like we've received 3-4 updates over the course of 5 months which really only give one message: Droid Turbo is getting Lollipop, and we're targeting 5.1.

This is great. What I think many of us would like as an improvement is a simple, general idea of a timeline and more frequent general updates. A monthly status update would go miles - something like "We're still working on bringing Android 5.1 to the Droid Turbo, hopefully in the first quarter of 2015, but don't hold us to that. Will give you another update in a month."

Sure, if they miss their deadline some people will get mad. But opening communication and being honest with us will be a net benefit to the community.

(And granted, delays could be on Moto or Verizon's end, which throws an extra, super frustrating monkey wrench into the situation.)

Exactly.

I800C0LLECT

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
I have a feeling that this is just becoming needless conversation. I wouldn't get rid of this phone if it was stuck on 4.4.4

It'll be fun for a few minutes after I get the update to lollipop. But I bought it for what it is... Not what it could be.

How many would buy it again without the promise of lollipop?

Posted via the Android Central App

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
It comes down to what I said. Not what you're saying for me.

I'm not saying anything for you, I'm asking you questions(that's what those squiggly things behind the last letters of the words I wrote mean. They're called question marks and indicate that what came before them is a question, not a statement) because what you're saying doesn't make any sense to me. You said you want them to communicate and gave an example of what you're looking for, but your example is exactly what they did. So why are you upset with them?

Daniel Padilla

May 2, 2014
Visit site
I have a feeling that this is just becoming needless conversation. I wouldn't get rid of this phone if it was stuck on 4.4.4

It'll be fun for a few minutes after I get the update to lollipop. But I bought it for what it is... Not what it could be.

I would not buy it again. Probably would have gone with Nexus 6. The current software is buggy with the update to Volte. Only thing this phone has over others is battery life.

RJ_Butler

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site

There's a good chance I would've gotten the Moto X. I had my heart set on it (I didn't know about the Turbo at that point), and was in the store to buy it, but the VZW rep told me that I could get the Turbo for the same price as the X because of the $100 trade in thing, and that I would get Lollipop. So I bit. Now the X has lollipop, and I don't, so I'm slightly disappointed. However, I love the Turbo even though we're stuck on KitKat, and would probably buy it without the promise of Lollipop.

I800C0LLECT

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
I had thought about the moto x too but jumped at the battery. I don't think there's a huge difference for a daily use phone.

I think it definitely leans towards practical use vs trying to win any popularity contest.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I continue to maintain that they could do better than they do with communication. I've said a number of times that I am not looking for a deadline date. I am reasonable and realistic, and that is too specific. They could be more forthcoming with the status of updates on an ongoing basis. A continuing conversation, not a deadline.

They could and they should as far as I'm concerned. That's excellent customer service. Instead, they cower from the lowest common denominator that will freak out if they don't get the update on the first day of whatever range they might shoot for.

In discussing the topic here in the past, my main frustration is that posters take an either/or mentality...either they should give us THE date, or they shouldn't tell us anything. Or at least, that it's OK they don't tell us anything.

What Moto, its defenders, and plenty of other companies say by way of defense (we can't give a date), also usually includes what they could do (the situation is fluid). So, stop taking a fluid situation and trying to hang a deadline on it. Take a fluid situation and update us as it changes.

Not a hard thing to do.

If you had comprehended any of my previous posts, I am not a Motorola defender. I've said in each of those posts that almost ALL companies do this. I'm not talking about strictly mobile companies either.

Just saying we're shooting for April or May can get them in big trouble if they don't hit that mark. It's happened already with HTC doing the same and they missed it and you would've thought it was the end of the world. And if they can't hit the mark most of the time, that can put people off of them as well. If you're worried about getting that transparency, find a company who will offer you that and take your business there. I understand this is how they handle their business, and I'm OK with it, because that's how it is with 90% of the businesses out there. If I wasn't okay with it, I would've moved on, which is the only way you're going to get any of these companies to change. Why do you think companies like Motorola and HTC have changed as much as they have? Because they were losing customers to Samsung and Apple and decided to change to try and win them (and possibly more) back. Same with T-Mobile and Sprint, they're the carriers with the biggest changes happening, because they need to get customers back from Verizon and AT&T. Now I'm not saying that Motorola is sitting pretty, but the last time they changed was after they had issues with people dropping them due to their Motoblur skin. So they started to lighten it, and people came back. So they decided to take more of an Apple approach and focus on performance and user experience, and more people came back. My point is, the only way you're going to effect change with a company is to vote with your wallet. They may change the way you want to, they may not. It's their business to run how they see fit.

Last edited:

irishlak

Feb 24, 2015
Visit site
I'm OK with things as they are, I am a kings fan if I had given up on them in the late 90s and early 2000s and switched teams to the ducks I would have missed out on the joy of two Stanley cups in 3 years. Same goes with devices OEMS and carriers I just ride it out in good and bad times and wait for them to get it right. Motorola in my opinion has vastly improved their products in the last few years, Verizon is just that Verizon, you give a little to gain more in the long run. 5.1 will come and go and in 6 months we will all be focused on a new os or device. Its a damn phone not a life changing experience guys. So if Verizon and Motorola don't want to talk , don't complain ultimately we the consumer have the option to change our devices as we see fit. Motorola can lose business and get sold to some cut rate Cambodian company for all I care. That being said I love my turbo and find it hard to find a complaint about it.

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I'm not saying anything for you, I'm asking you questions(that's what those squiggly things behind the last letters of the words I wrote mean. They're called question marks and indicate that what came before them is a question, not a statement) because what you're saying doesn't make any sense to me. You said you want them to communicate and gave an example of what you're looking for, but your example is exactly what they did. So why are you upset with them?

They have essentially said the Turbo (and other phones) will get Lollipop 5.x. Four months or so later they have said that the Turbo (and a couple of other phones) will actually go directly to 5.1.

While those are technically updates, I will *say again* that they can do better. Now, in this never ending back-and-forth I expect people to "interpret" that to mean that I am asking for hard deadlines and weekly updates. I am not. I am asking for more than they've given us by way of communication. That is simply not that difficult to do, shouldn't be that difficult to understand, nor too much to ask.

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
If you had comprehended any of my previous posts, I am not a Motorola defender. I've said in each of those posts that almost ALL companies do this. I'm not talking about strictly mobile companies either.

Just saying we're shooting for April or May can get them in big trouble if they don't hit that mark. It's happened already with HTC doing the same and they missed it and you would've thought it was the end of the world. And if they can't hit the mark most of the time, that can put people off of them as well. If you're worried about getting that transparency, find a company who will offer you that and take your business there. I understand this is how they handle their business, and I'm OK with it, because that's how it is with 90% of the businesses out there. If I wasn't okay with it, I would've moved on, which is the only way you're going to get any of these companies to change. Why do you think companies like Motorola and HTC have changed as much as they have? Because they were losing customers to Samsung and Apple and decided to change to try and win them (and possibly more) back. Same with T-Mobile and Sprint, they're the carriers with the biggest changes happening, because they need to get customers back from Verizon and AT&T. Now I'm not saying that Motorola is sitting pretty, but the last time they changed was after they had issues with people dropping them due to their Motoblur skin. So they started to lighten it, and people came back. So they decided to take more of an Apple approach and focus on performance and user experience, and more people came back. My point is, the only way you're going to effect change with a company is to vote with your wallet. They may change the way you want to, they may not. It's their business to run how they see fit.

There's a reason that great customer service stands out.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
There's a reason that great customer service stands out.

So then use a company that offers it. Please give me an example of a mobile company who is doing this regularly. I get that you're asking for a vague timeframe, not hard and fast dates. Companies used to do that (give a vague timeframe) but they no longer do it. So apparently it was found that it wasn't worth it for them to continue doing so, otherwise they would've continued to do it.

Everyone has their own wants and needs from companies they give their business to, but they also usually understand that just because they want it, that doesn't mean that it's worth that company's while to fulfill that want. Also, as someone has pointed out, a representative of Motorola has said they're under a NDA regarding the Droid line, even though he wishes he could talk more about it. If true, that means Verizon is the one who's keeping things mum on the info front. And since in this case Verizon is their primary customer, not us, they have to honor their customer's wishes. If there is in fact an NDA in place, legally there's nothing they can do about it.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
So then use a company that offers it. Please give me an example of a mobile company who is doing this regularly.

Apple. Apple is the only one. Maybe Microsoft, but even they cannot push updates without going through carrier partners as I recall.

I've said it before - if this upsets people so much, the only effective response is to switch to an iPhone because if you want updates timely, you want to know roughly when updates are coming, in fact want to get a developer's license and try out each beta version - get an iPhone.

It's a mild example of it, but the sense of entitlement is just head shaking to me.

And, in fact, if you want to know any information about when the update will come this thread was the wrong way to get it. Simply the best way is to join the Moto development network and hope they chose you to soak test the update. Otherwise just keep watching the Android Central main page, because once soak test invites go out the news will hit there within an hour. It always has.

Well, I've said way more than enough. Many have. This discussion has gone around dozens of times and means nothing. Nothing any of us write here will change the timing of the update or how often Motorola or Verizon communicates about it. What a waste of time. I apologize to everyone for my part in prolonging this thread. I'm done.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Apple. Apple is the only one. Maybe Microsoft, but even they cannot push updates without going through carrier partners as I recall.

I've said it before - if this upsets people so much, the only effective response is to switch to an iPhone because if you want updates timely, you want to know roughly when updates are coming, in fact want to get a developer's license and try out each beta version - get an iPhone.

It's a mild example of it, but the sense of entitlement is just head shaking to me.

And, in fact, if you want to know any information about when the update will come this thread was the wrong way to get it. Simply the best way is to join the Moto development network and hope they chose you to soak test the update. Otherwise just keep watching the Android Central main page, because once soak test invites go out the news will hit there within an hour. It always has.

Well, I've said way more than enough. Many have. This discussion has gone around dozens of times and means nothing. Nothing any of us write here will change the timing of the update or how often Motorola or Verizon communicates about it. What a waste of time. I apologize to everyone for my part in prolonging this thread. I'm done.

I wasn't referring about fast updates doogald, I meant the transparency some are looking for, and Apple is one of the worst for that. They'll usually announce updates a week before they put them out, but prior to that, nothing. Everyone just assumes there will be a new version of iOS announced when they announce the new iPhone, and that it'll be on devices a couple weeks to a month after because that's what they've always done. But prior to that, they're tight lipped as a drum and never comment on anything upcoming.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bluegarland692