06-30-2015 12:52 PM
2,029 ... 3233343536 ...
tools
    I do think it's a bit ridiculous to make guesses about the Droid Ultra and Maxx on a thread in the turbo forum about getting Lollipop, but here goes:

I don't think the ultra was redundant because of the Maxx. Remember that Verizon sold thin and Maxx versions of the Razr and Razr HD for two years. The ultra was thinner and $100 cheaper than the Maxx - there can always be a market for that, for people unwilling to put down $300 on a new, heavy phone when they don't need it.

What killed the ultra was something that didn't exist when the Razr and Razr HD came out - the Moto X. It was smaller than the ultra with the same battery life, same price, much better looking, and ultimately got better upgrade support and customization (after a few months) from Motorola. By that time I'm sure it was clear to Verizon that they couldn't generate a market for a thinner phone when the turbo came out and it was probably better just to carry a single device in a few colors.

But, really, is it necessary to talk about the Maxx, ultra, X, or nexus 6 in this thread?
    I simply theorized that maybe the reason we haven't seen LP for the Turbo was because of the rumored Droid phablet that was supposed to come out in the first half of this year, and that maybe they were waiting to update the Turbo until that released. That's how it started. I didn't plan on getting into a convo on why a Droid phablet was necessary or not. Sorry.
    Bob Maida likes this.
    04-26-2015 07:51 PM
    I simply theorized that maybe the reason we haven't seen LP for the Turbo was because of the rumored Droid phablet that was supposed to come out in the first half of this year, and that maybe they were waiting to update the Turbo until that released. That's how it started. I didn't plan on getting into a convo on why a Droid phablet was necessary or not. Sorry.
    The conversation wasn't about whether a phablet was necessary or not. The original response was specifically to your point here. Since it apparently hasn't been clear above, I disagree a phablet is why we're waiting.
    04-26-2015 10:59 PM
    The conversation wasn't about whether a phablet was necessary or not. The original response was specifically to your point here. Since it apparently hasn't been clear above, I disagree a phablet is why we're waiting.
    The last I heard about the Droid phablet was in March, it was supposed to be the same case as a Nexus 6, but with a SD 810 and 4GB of RAM. And like I said above, it would also include the same Moto apps as on the Turbo and X. So it isn't just a carbon copy of the Nexus. But either way, you don't agree so the point is moot.
    04-26-2015 11:34 PM
    This was today. I know this doesn't mean anything but still. Hope lives on!

Posted via the Android Central App
    Attached Thumbnails Droid Turbo: Lollipop software update?-33081.jpg  
    04-27-2015 10:57 AM
    What's this "marshmallow" that people keep talking about? And what about it makes it worth waiting for?

Posted from my Droid Turbo, Kelly and Ozone
    In my last post I mentioned Android 5.2 Marshmallow to make my comment have irony. I don't think Google has even started on Android M, but assuming they stick with their sweet names, "marshmallow" was the first thing that came to my mind.

Sent via Droid Turbo
    04-27-2015 11:50 AM

I wish they would just give some kind of time frame!!!

04-27-2015 12:17 PM

I can't read or open the thumbnail, can you summarize?

Posted via the Turbo
    04-27-2015 02:15 PM
    It's just a tweet from Motorola Mobility, indicating the Droid Turbo will get Lollipop and they are working with Verizon closely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    04-27-2015 02:17 PM
    It's just a tweet from Motorola Mobility, indicating the Droid Turbo will get Lollipop and they are working with Verizon closely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yeah sure....
    Verizon made the conscious decision to have the Turbo made where it rely on AC to function simultaneously (voice/data) on is crap LTE network. We are the ones paying for that choice. (Verizon's on AC support says that most other LTE capable phones can accomplish simultaneous voice & data and if the get an AC update those devices will be able to experience HD calls) The only real difference is our device has no fallback solution or handoff capabilities. Until Verizon fixes the shortcomings of the fabulous LTE coverage we'll be using a 1990's flagship unless all the stars & planets align, you face the Northstar while hopping on your left leg, holding the phone perpendicular to the ground, 37 seconds after a FDR
    04-27-2015 02:37 PM
    The turbo is starting to really frustrate me, the A/C function is awful, sounds like I'm talking through a paper bag while jogging in the rain. The update is no where to be seen. Lesser phones of the same brand are receiving updates first. Still loving the phone's speed and size, though the design is a bit utilitarian for my normal taste. 6 months isn't a very long time, but with no launch date available, it seems like an eternity!

04-27-2015 03:19 PM
    Yeah sure....
    Verizon made the conscious decision to have the Turbo made where it rely on AC to function simultaneously (voice/data) on is crap LTE network. We are the ones paying for that choice. (Verizon's on AC support says that most other LTE capable phones can accomplish simultaneous voice & data and if the get an AC update those devices will be able to experience HD calls) The only real difference is our device has no fallback solution or handoff capabilities. Until Verizon fixes the shortcomings of the fabulous LTE coverage we'll be using a 1990's flagship unless all the stars & planets align, you face the Northstar while hopping on your left leg, holding the phone perpendicular to the ground, 37 seconds after a FDR
    Everybody has 14 days to return a phone after they buy it. It seems that you should have done that.
    04-27-2015 04:26 PM
    Everybody has 14 days to return a phone after they buy it. It seems that you should have done that.
    OK that works for some but what about people like me that got the phone back when it first came out and was told by a sales rep at the Verizon store that the Droid turbo will be the first to receive lollipop because it is a Verizon exclusive.
    psf57 likes this.
    04-27-2015 04:32 PM
    OK that works for some but what about people like me that got the phone back when it first came out and was told by a sales rep at the Verizon store that the Droid turbo will be the first to receive lollipop because it is a Verizon exclusive.
    Caveat emptor.

People should never believe the promises of a salesman. If they come true, great; but, you should buy phone based on what it can do the day you buy it. If Lollipop was critical to you, you should have waited until phone was sold with Lollipop on it.

If you had asked if that salesman was telling the truth in this forum during the 14 day return period, many of us would have told you that the sales rep was full of it. Well now you know that he was, too.
    1Coopgt and Bitterman like this.
    04-27-2015 04:50 PM
    The turbo is starting to really frustrate me, the A/C function is awful, sounds like I'm talking through a paper bag while jogging in the rain. The update is no where to be seen. Lesser phones of the same brand are receiving updates first. Still loving the phone's speed and size, though the design is a bit utilitarian for my normal taste. 6 months isn't a very long time, but with no launch date available, it seems like an eternity!

I am also frustrated by the slow updates mainly because I just like to have the latest thing. But, I must say that I still love the Turbo. Maybe I'm lucky or it has something to do with some just getting a lemon, or possibly where you use the phone, but I turned on the AC function the day it was available and have never dropped one call and voice quality is high. I was really impressed last weekend when I drove from Phoenix to Sedona through some mountainous areas and tried some calls that worked perfectly. I looked at the galaxy S6 forums and see some of the same complaints we usually see when a new device comes out such as people don't think the reception is as good as their prior devices, the camera is poor, and some were saying they can't do voice and data at the same time so I guess the S6 also has to use AC to get this done. I really think there is some luck involved with some of these devices as quality control must be lacking. I've had none of the issues I see others complain about, including no Wi-Fi problems. I was not so lucky a few years ago when I had a Samsung Droid Charge and it seemed I had every single bad issue.
    04-27-2015 05:13 PM
    Caveat emptor.

People should never believe the promises of a salesman. If they come true, great; but, you should buy phone based on what it can do the day you buy it. If Lollipop was critical to you, you should have waited until phone was sold with Lollipop on it.

If you had asked if that salesman was telling the truth in this forum during the 14 day return period, many of us would have told you that the sales rep was full of it. Well now you know that he was, too.
    +100

Totally agree . At least most of the whining is confined to this thread . If people are that unhappy with your phone sell it and get something else .
    04-27-2015 05:19 PM
    I don't get why everyone wants Lollipop so badly. I have yet to read one thread on this site or in any other forum where someone got Lollipop then posted "omg, my phone is a million times better now and my battery lasts twice as long."

What's the rush? My Turbo works perfectly as is, and it seems to me most find Lollipop to be a step backwards.

Sent from my Ballistic Turbo
    berserker, bpe4 and Davidoo like this.
    04-27-2015 05:27 PM
    I don't get why everyone wants Lollipop so badly. I have yet to read one thread on this site or in any other forum where someone got Lollipop then posted "omg, my phone is a million times better now and my battery lasts twice as long."

What's the rush? My Turbo works perfectly as is, and it seems to me most find Lollipop to be a step backwards.

I second that emotion, JJ. As I posted (around 20 posts back), there's absolutely nothing compelling about Lollipop. Everyone expected better battery life, but not one phone that has undergone the upgrade can boast that. Are people expecting some earth-shattering visual upgrade? Well, other than a white background SETTINGS menu, your sea of icons will still look like a sea of icons. Your wallpaper background will look the same. Your widgets will still look the same.

If you enjoy Google's 'material design' so much, the Gmail and Google Messenger app should make you happy happy till Lollipop drops for the Turbo.

I'll be happy to receive the Lollipop upgrade once it's 100% stable, and there are actual measurable improvements to performance and battery life. Maybe that'll come with 5.1x or 5.2x. Either way, I'm more than happy to wait. Kudos to Verizon and Motorola for not wanting to push a poor update on us that improves nothing.
    maxman1 and JJ Jones like this.
    04-27-2015 06:17 PM
    I love how platitudes like "you had 14 days to return it" and "I don't get why everyone wants lollipop so badly" come from people who either have no problems maintaining calls or perfectly operating devices. Mine consistently drops calls when AC is enabled even if I'm stationary in what verizon claims is full 4G LTE coverage. I was promised by verizon Wireless corporate representatives that when AC 1.0 was pushed to devices and enabled because I am in a full 4G LTE coverage area as brought up in Verizon's own website maps
    04-27-2015 06:20 PM
    These updates were well after the 14 day window and STILL do not function as verizon has marketed.
    04-27-2015 06:22 PM
    These updates were well after the 14 day window and STILL do not function as verizon has marketed.
    The Turbo actually works BETTER than what was advertised...

04-27-2015 07:20 PM
    The Turbo actually works BETTER than what was advertised...

You are being sarcastic, right?
    04-27-2015 07:22 PM
    Not sure if the last poster is being sarcastic or not, but every function and app on my Turbo works perfectly and I haven't dropped one call with VoLTE. I still maintain there are lemons out there as I had with my Droid Charge. It may be the build date or a different factory. I also had the GS3 and we found out that some devices were made in China and had more problems than the ones made in Korea. If I had these issue with AC not working I would consider hounding VZW until they provided me with another one, even if it is a like new refurb.
    04-27-2015 07:59 PM
    come from people who either have no problems maintaining calls or perfectly operating devices.
    There's a reason I'm only quoting this part. Since you acknowledge there are "people with no problems" and "perfectly operating devices" then it's not the software that is the problem, since those "people" and "devices" have the same software as you. Lollipop won't fix what is likely a hardware problem with your phone.

04-27-2015 08:12 PM
    There's a reason I'm only quoting this part. Since you acknowledge there are "people with no problems" and "perfectly operating devices" then it's not the software that is the problem, since those "people" and "devices" have the same software as you. Lollipop won't fix what is likely a hardware problem with your phone.

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner. Wife and I, as well as plenty other people on here, have perfectly working phones. I would be getting that phone replaced.
    04-27-2015 08:47 PM
    That's funny because its a common problem found with the AC function. But I guess you know all

mpwt51 likes this.
    04-27-2015 09:29 PM
2,029 ... 3233343536 ...