06-30-2015 01:52 PM
2,029 ... 3536373839 ...
tools
    Those don't have anything to do with KitKat. An upgrade to Lollipop will not improve the range of the WiFi radio and until Verizon updates VoLTE to do WiFi or CDMA handoff at the very least, and improves the LTE coverage area, that's not going to get any better, either. I get that it's important to you. You bought the wrong phone for what you need. But, we've had this discussion before, haven't we?

I definitely don't want to soft-pedal your issue with VoLTE, but it's not going to be fixed just with Lollipop (unless Verizon happens to coincidentally improve VoLTE at the same time.)
    How you know lollipop doesn't address the radio or fix AC problems? Both verizon and Motorola have been mute whenever I ask
    05-01-2015 05:27 PM
    My saying that it's like a 1990's phone is referencing dropped calls. And to correct you, LTE was not needed by verizon to have simultaneous voice and data . Just separate antennas and radios because CDMA couldn't handle it like GSM phones.
    I realize that. The technology was called SVDO, but the problem was, no phones had that capability until after LTE was launched. I know because I had them, IIRC the Thunderbolt, the Incredible 2, and the Rezound. Regardless, there was no capable devices before 2011 available to consumers on Verizon to do simultaneous voice and data.
    05-01-2015 07:01 PM
    How you know lollipop doesn't address the radio or fix AC problems? Both verizon and Motorola have been mute whenever I ask
    Here is a link to answer that.

http://www.droid-life.com/2014/08/26...ails-hd-voice/

It says in there if you leave LTE coverage during an HD call, the call will drop, there is no handoff to CDMA. That was published back in August of last year, well before the Turbo launched. And from the sound of it, that will happen to any phone under Advance Calling, whether one antenna or two. The only advantage you'd have with a dual antenna is the simultaneous voice and data (3G voice and LTE data) with AC turned off.
    05-01-2015 07:07 PM
    Yes a new update screen!

Posted via the Android Central App
    Attached Thumbnails Droid Turbo: Lollipop software update?-49936.jpg  
    05-01-2015 08:26 PM
    Wont a new droid be released before we get this update, if we get it at all?

05-02-2015 11:00 AM
    Wont a new droid be released before we get this update, if we get it at all?

No
    KPMcClave likes this.
    05-02-2015 11:05 AM
    Updating my wife's Note 3 to lollipop...small tear forming in my eye đŸ˜ˆ

05-02-2015 01:17 PM
    My geek programmer buddy tells me that there is a hardware problem that is inhibiting a lollipop upgrade. Not gonna happen according to him in spite of empty promises.

Thoughts? Other than this is a hear say rumor... Because that's the first thought I had while reading this

05-02-2015 01:19 PM
    Thoughts? Other than this is a hear say rumor... Because that's the first thought I had while reading this
    The identical Moto Maxx has been running Lollipop for months now. The Nexus 6 is almost exactly the same hardware - the camera is different, but the Turbo uses standard components. I'd call that baseless speculation.
    05-02-2015 01:34 PM
    As a huge fan of Moto I still like Droid pretty much. But all this situation about updating to L is disturbing me. I made a decision to jump off Droid in the case if L wount comes to Lg G4 release date (end of May). G4 rocks will camera, as I'm camera gick it's for me
    05-02-2015 04:11 PM
    Agreed, if Motorola releases a phone similar to turbo next go around as speculation on a Nexus6 variant is coming, I'm jumping the droid ship as well and going just Motorola.

05-02-2015 06:43 PM
    After using lollipop 5.0 I'm glad that they say Turbo jam s going to 5.1. 5.0 is a mess, worth the wait in my opinion

05-03-2015 12:53 PM
    Trying to be funny

Attached Thumbnails Droid Turbo: Lollipop software update?-41911.jpg  
    05-03-2015 01:07 PM
    My first Android Phone was the Droid Maxx. I came from a long line of BlackBerry's. I was so happy with the Maxx that I jumped at the chance to get the Turbo because of the good specs and promise of L coming quickly. I pretty much have decided to wait for the new Note 5 and be done with Motorola. This has been totally botched. It will cost Motorola in the end. I also don't believe that there is something wrong with the Hardware that is not playing nice with L.
    KPMcClave and TurboHope like this.
    05-03-2015 01:20 PM
    05-04-2015 10:36 AM
    According to Luciano Carvalho, a Motorola software engineer, the bug-free Android 5.1 Lollipop will roll out to the Droid Turbo as much as the software is doing now to most of Motorola’s smartphone lines.

But Carvalho said that the Android 5.1 Lollipop will not be totally bug-free on the Motorola Droid Turbo as it is almost impossible for a complex firmware update*operating in variousenvironmental conditions*and thousands of user variations not to have bugs, glitches or other issues.

Full story at:

http://masterherald.com/motorola-dro...ollipop/16039/

05-04-2015 01:52 PM
    According to Luciano Carvalho, a Motorola software engineer, the bug-free Android 5.1 Lollipop will roll out to the Droid Turbo as much as the software is doing now to most of Motorola’s smartphone lines.

But Carvalho said that the Android 5.1 Lollipop will not be totally bug-free on the Motorola Droid Turbo as it is almost impossible for a complex firmware update*operating in variousenvironmental conditions*and thousands of user variations not to have bugs, glitches or other issues.

Full story at:

Motorola Droid Turbo to Skip Android 5.0 Lollipop and Update Straight to Android 5.1 Lollipop! | Master Herald
    Thanks for posting, but, except for the speculation about failing soak tests, this is identical to what we already heard a couple of months ago: http://www.droid-life.com/2015/03/18...o-android-5-1/

And if there was actually a soak test that failed, this would be the first time I have heard of a soak test that was distributed without being leaked in both these forums (and others) as well as on the AC front page (and others.)

Perhaps the proof that this is just an old article is from the end line:

What made the exceptional smartphone somewhat stale is when Motorola failed to deliver on its promise to update the operating system of the Droid Turbo more than five months after it was officially released to the retail markets.
    The Turbo was five months old in March.
    TurboHope likes this.
    05-04-2015 02:05 PM

Full story at:

Motorola Droid Turbo to Skip Android 5.0 Lollipop and Update Straight to Android 5.1 Lollipop! | Master Herald
    Thanks for posting, but, except for the speculation about failing soak tests, this is identical to what we already heard a couple of months ago: http://www.droid-life.com/2015/03/18...o-android-5-1/

And if there was actually a soak test that failed, this would be the first time I have heard of a soak test that was distributed without being leaked in both these forums (and others) as well as on the AC front page (and others.)

Perhaps the proof that this is just an old article is from the end line:

What made the exceptional smartphone somewhat stale is when Motorola failed to deliver on its promise to update the operating system of the Droid Turbo more than five months after it was officially released to the retail markets.
    The Turbo was five months old in March.
    05-04-2015 02:05 PM
    My Turbo works very well on its existing OS platform. What will I really be gaining from 5.1? Definitely not enough to make me miserable and upset because I've been slighted an update.

My Nexus 7 runs LP. Whether I'm using my tablet or Turbo I have a good experience. This has metastasized into a "no win" war. Refraining from the update will keep the Turbo efficient and bug-free. No update, lot's of upset customers. OR, it gets updated, runs like a bag of feces, you have again, lots of upset customers.

Put things into prospective. We're better off on 4.4. I drive a Japanese car because it's reliable but I sacrifice luxury. The Turbo is a reliable device, and on 4.4 it's pretty well hooked up. I see no sacrifice.

Those are my two cents.

bpe4 likes this.
    05-04-2015 03:44 PM
    What about 5.1 having AC baked in and not a problematic cobbled on patch? It is probably true that the Turbo has systematic hardware issues exacerbated by Verizon's push to have the Turbo be its first device running as an LTE only device. If this path ends up being a big cluster f, and no solution for customers experiencing dropped calls when AC is enabled I WANT A VERIZON PROVIDED DIFFERENT, FLAGSHIP WORTHY NON-EXCLUSIVE DEVICE. I am tired of being a guinea pig while Verizon figures it out
    mpwt51, Davidoo and Tim Bell1 like this.
    05-04-2015 04:30 PM
    What about 5.1 having AC baked in and not a problematic cobbled on patch? It is probably true that the Turbo has systematic hardware issues exacerbated by Verizon's push to have the Turbo be its first device running as an LTE only device. If this path ends up being a big cluster f, and no solution for customers experiencing dropped calls when AC is enabled I WANT A VERIZON PROVIDED DIFFERENT, FLAGSHIP WORTHY NON-EXCLUSIVE DEVICE. I am tired of being a guinea pig while Verizon figures it out
    You do know the Verizon G2 got AC before the turbo was even announced, right?

Sent from my Ballistic Turbo
    05-04-2015 05:30 PM
    Does the G2 have a single antenna setup like the Turbo?
    05-04-2015 06:55 PM
    Does the G2 have a single antenna setup like the Turbo?
    The G2 was released in late 2013, so no. The Droid Maxx also is single antenna and has AC, but I've never tried it since I had already switched to the Turbo when it got the update.

I have AC disabled, mostly because I'm in an area of sketchy LTE signal quality, but also because we have Network Extenders in our home and AC and Network Extenders don't work well together. Basically, every call that's made while on the NE, whether it's M2M, peak, or off-peak, is duplicated as a separate call (at least in the billing) and all of those duplicate calls are billed as peak. What you end up with is, essentially there are no free M2M, Nights & Weekends, Friends & Family calls, all are billed as peak, and any calls that would be considered peak are double billed. That led to some huge bills on our share plan with UDP. There was supposed to be an update to fix this, and it was supposed to be out middle of April, but so far nothing. So it isn't only the Turbo update they're dragging their feet on.
    05-04-2015 09:52 PM
    The G2 was released in late 2013, so no. The Droid Maxx also is single antenna and has AC, but I've never tried it since I had already switched to the Turbo when it got the update.
    I think you meant that the droid maxx is not single antenna. You can get simultaneous voice and data on standard CDMA calls. You don't need volte to get simul voice and data like you need to on the turbo, 2014 moto x, nexus 6, and iPhone.
    05-04-2015 10:46 PM
    I think you meant that the droid maxx is not single antenna. You can get simultaneous voice and data on standard CDMA calls. You don't need volte to get simul voice and data like you need to on the turbo, 2014 moto x, nexus 6, and iPhone.
    Correct, I meant it's also a dual antenna. They didn't start the single antenna trend until 2014. If it wasn't for the battery life deficiencies using dual antennas and VoLTE, I'd imagine they would've stuck with it. And with all they invested in AC, there was no way they were going to hold off on deploying it and hope they came up with a better solution. They would've taken a big loss if they had.
    05-05-2015 03:22 AM
2,029 ... 3536373839 ...