06-30-2015 12:52 PM
2,029 ... 3637383940 ...
tools
    With the Turbo's battery being the size that it is the device probably could have been designed and released with dual antennas and still have acceptable battery life. They knew it would never get the 48 hour life they promoted. With dual antennas the AC could have been tested and it could have worked when it (AC) had problems. Pushing the technology before it was viable without any contingency plan was disregard for the customer.
    ckelly33 likes this.
    05-05-2015 09:48 AM
    I understand the Galaxy S6 is having major issues with Lollipop. When the update does come out I am going to wait a month to see if others are having good luck with it. Its easy to wait but hard to deal with phone issues with no fix in site.
    adayoff likes this.
    05-05-2015 01:51 PM
    If the update is anything like previous ones you can only postpone for a little while. I don't think you can push it out a month without constantly babysitting so it doesn't push it to your device.
    05-05-2015 02:32 PM
    It's hard to generalize issues that might happen from Samsung or other OEMs. They have all that proprietary stuff and Motorola has little of it, and almost all of that they've already done on L for the Moto X, 6 months ago.
    05-05-2015 02:36 PM
    If the update is anything like previous ones you can only postpone for a little while. I don't think you can push it out a month without constantly babysitting so it doesn't push it to your device.
    The update can't forced onto your phone. If it can, it's news to me.
    05-05-2015 03:13 PM
    So I got the latest news update, droid turbo is just going to skip lollipop and wait for the next update sometime the year after next. Turbo lag...

Vrrroooom pssshhh! *Droid Turbo posting sound*
    05-05-2015 03:19 PM
    The update can't forced onto your phone. If it can, it's news to me.
    OTAs will ask to update as soon as they are downloaded (and they are pushed to your device, you don't pull them.) You are given the choice to either install now or later; if you choose later, every day from then on you will be prompted to install, and I have read that it eventually it will just start the install (I'm not sure how long that is, but apparently it always eventually happens.)

[edit] One way to prevent the install is to keep your battery below 50%. The phone will not update unless the battery has over 50% charge...
    05-05-2015 03:39 PM
    Well, the Turbo *is* getting an OTA soon.... but it still won't be Lollipop.

See https://motorola-global-portal.custh...il/a_id/105254 (via http://www.droid-life.com/2015/05/05...-6-and-moto-x/ )

(Since I encrypt my phone with a PIN, I'm one of those rare users affected... though the times my phone is not powered on and the times that I make an emergency call on start are completely nil.)
    05-05-2015 04:44 PM
    OTAs will ask to update as soon as they are downloaded (and they are pushed to your device, you don't pull them.) You are given the choice to either install now or later; if you choose later, every day from then on you will be prompted to install, and I have read that it eventually it will just start the install (I'm not sure how long that is, but apparently it always eventually happens.)

[edit] One way to prevent the install is to keep your battery below 50%. The phone will not update unless the battery has over 50% charge...
    Well, that is news to me; I didn't realize you had no control over the OS version installed on your phone. :-(
    05-05-2015 05:39 PM
    I will say that I am not wanting for anything with this phone other than a better camera.

That said, I bought this phone in mid October and it's staggering to me that we are now in May without Lollipop.

What would Verizon customer service say if a Turbo owner called in and wanted to switch phones early without penalty in order to switch to another device. Are they under any obligation in our two year agreements to provide timely updates? Do customers have at a minimum a right to gripe about false promises?

Please don't give me a fan boy response.

Posted via the Android Central App
    Codger1212 and cooper_m22 like this.
    05-05-2015 07:10 PM
    Are they under any obligation in our two year agreements to provide timely updates?
    Nope.
    05-05-2015 07:20 PM
    With the Turbo's battery being the size that it is the device probably could have been designed and released with dual antennas and still have acceptable battery life. They knew it would never get the 48 hour life they promoted. With dual antennas the AC could have been tested and it could have worked when it (AC) had problems. Pushing the technology before it was viable without any contingency plan was disregard for the customer.
    The battery capacity on the Turbo isn't that much higher than it was on the Maxx. The Maxx had a 3500mAh battery, and the Turbo has a 3900mAh battery. You're not going to see a night and day difference between them. In fact, I'd say I get the same, maybe a little less battery life than I did with my Maxx. Now if they had only gone to a 1080p screen instead of QHD, we would've seen a bigger battery improvement between that and the SD805. But they were talking like half the battery life using AC vs CDMA voice. So if true at best you'd probably be looking at a day to a day and a half between charges.
    05-05-2015 08:47 PM

What if you force stop MotorolaOTA? It will not auto-restart, and if stopped a check for updates will fail (and then succeed in checking if you try a second time). Will the update be pushed to the phone even with MotorolaOTA force stopped?
    05-05-2015 11:14 PM
    What would Verizon customer service say if a Turbo owner called in and wanted to switch phones early without penalty in order to switch to another device. Are they under any obligation in our two year agreements to provide timely updates? Do customers have at a minimum a right to gripe about false promises?
    They aren't obligated to let you switch phones, but if it were me, I'd say something along the lines of: "I was told when I bought the phone that it would be updated soon. I thought buying a Verizon exclusive phone meant that Verizon was going to stand by the products it sells, but apparently you are just out to make a quick buck off of your loyal customers! This is the last straw and I want to make sure I'm not billed for one penny more once my contract is up because I'm switching to AT&T!"
    05-06-2015 07:43 AM
    What if you force stop MotorolaOTA? It will not auto-restart, and if stopped a check for updates will fail (and then succeed in checking if you try a second time). Will the update be pushed to the phone even with MotorolaOTA force stopped?
    I'm of the understanding that the download will happen eventually. Then you can defer for, I think, a day. If you don't keep rejecting each time it decides to prompt, it will begin the installation at which point you're SOL because you are then advised of no calls and do not shut off during process. Anecdotal reports of doing install when person sleeping with phone on charger.
    05-06-2015 09:36 AM
    They aren't obligated to let you switch phones, but if it were me, I'd say something along the lines of: "I was told when I bought the phone that it would be updated soon. I thought buying a Verizon exclusive phone meant that Verizon was going to stand by the products it sells, but apparently you are just out to make a quick buck off of your loyal customers! This is the last straw and I want to make sure I'm not billed for one penny more once my contract is up because I'm switching to AT&T!"
    The only time I could see them letting you switch phones for free is if you had three bad devices (1 new and 2 replacements) that would fall under lemon laws. I've actually dealt with that before, where after three they suggested switching to a different device. I took them up on it with my Thunderbolt, but my neice ended up with 2 more Stratospheres before she switched.

As far as using an update to try and claim that, that won't happen. They don't promise anything like that. The OEMS agree with Google to try and support all devices for at least 18 months, but none of the carriers are involved with that. And truth be told, there have been plenty of updates that I haven't gotten in the past until past the 6 month mark. A few HTC devices spring to mind. The problem was everyone got spoiled by the speed of last year's updates. But the thing is most times Verizon was slow as molasses with updating their phones.
    05-06-2015 09:43 AM
    I'm of the understanding that the download will happen eventually. Then you can defer for, I think, a day. If you don't keep rejecting each time it decides to prompt, it will begin the installation at which point you're SOL because you are then advised of no calls and do not shut off during process. Anecdotal reports of doing install when person sleeping with phone on charger.
    I understand it will with MotorolaOTA active. I know foce stopping that keeps you from being able to pull the download, so thinking it may also be needed to receive the push.
    05-06-2015 02:34 PM
    I will say that I am not wanting for anything with this phone other than a better camera.

That said, I bought this phone in mid October and it's staggering to me that we are now in May without Lollipop.

Please don't give me a fan boy response.

Check if there's anything in any of the documents that came with the device that covers OS upgrades.

If you signed a contract to get the Turbo for a discounted price, check that documentation to see if there's anything that covers OS upgrades.

(there probably isn't anything)
    05-06-2015 02:58 PM
    It's hard to generalize issues that might happen from Samsung or other OEMs. They have all that proprietary stuff and Motorola has little of it, and almost all of that they've already done on L for the Moto X, 6 months ago.
    which those OEMs have done for their other devices too.
    05-06-2015 02:59 PM
    Lollipop is starting to get old, even Google is now shifting to M. Maybe we'll get an update, maybe we wont. It's possible if the Turbo get's an update it might be at the same time new phones are coming out with M.

Google will announce Android M at I/O keynote this month | The Verge
    05-06-2015 05:32 PM
    Lollipop is starting to get old, even Google is now shifting to M. Maybe well get an update, maybe we wont. It's possible if the Turbo get's an update it might be at the same time new phones are coming out with M.

Google will announce Android M at I/O keynote this month | The Verge
    Seriously - I doubt that. M won't ship with phones until the fall. L was announced at Google I/O last year, too. If the Turbo doesn't have L by then, then I think that Verizon will never get another serious Android user to buy another Droid.
    KPMcClave likes this.
    05-06-2015 05:37 PM
    05-06-2015 08:22 PM
    Seriously - I doubt that. M won't ship with phones until the fall. L was announced at Google I/O last year, too. If the Turbo doesn't have L by then, then I think that Verizon will never get another serious Android user to buy another Droid.
    You say this like it matters. Not being a ****, but "serious Android" user is probably around 1% of their user base. Majority of people that buy an Android phone don't even know what version of Android is on it, or even what "Android" is.
    zero3187 and mrtonk like this.
    05-06-2015 08:29 PM
    You say this like it matters. Not being a ****, but "serious Android" user is probably around 1% of their user base. Majority of people that buy an Android phone don't even know what version of Android is on it, or even what "Android" is.
    +1. This pretty much nailed it.

05-06-2015 08:57 PM
    The Nexus 6 runs the same processor and it has lollipop... So I don't see what the problem is.

05-06-2015 11:03 PM
2,029 ... 3637383940 ...