06-30-2015 12:52 PM
2,029 ... 3839404142 ...
tools
    The question isn't "if". It's "when".

and lol reps.
    KPMcClave and maxman1 like this.
    05-08-2015 01:01 PM
    "Stay tuned for updates..." that will never come. It'll just be here when it gets here.
    05-08-2015 01:24 PM
    Just to be clear I'm not saying it's not getting the Lollipop, I'm saying there's a significant chance it won't given how much additional time/money/resources which effects other Lollipop projects that have deadlines.

The huge problem with your statement that "There is zero chance this phone doesn't get the OS update" which is the same as claiming you know with 100% certainty that it is getting the update, is that we don't even know the extent of what was preventing the first update from happening. Obviously the engineering group tasked with updating the Turbo encountered a big enough problem that it wasn't feasible for them to continue. Given what's been made public it sounds like it may have been issues with VoLTE that gave them problems. Furthermore it sounds like the engineering team is hypothesizing and hoping by skipping to 5.1 it will solve all those problems because VoLTE support is "baked in" that version of Android but until they try it nobody knows and maybe there were other problems not made public that we don't know about.

There is not a 100% chance that the Turbo will successfully get an update to Lollipop. Only death and taxes are examples of 100% certainty.

If as you put it a "vocal minority" of blog sites report the failure, so what? By definition a minority isn't going to make Verizon loose sleep over anything. Ask the average person on the street if they've heard of the Turbo and I think you'll be surprised. Nobody who's seen my phone and commented knew what it was. I often get, "Oh, you got the new Galaxy 6, cool!"

I hope it get's the update but if it does I'm sure the next generation of phones will already be getting ready to launch and that's where my mind will be. I don't spend a lot of money on stuff but my one vice in life is I try to get the latest and greatest phone each year when they come out. I suspect my life with the Turbo will end up Lollipop-less.
    Zero chance. There is no chance they don't update the Turbo to Lollipop. Whether or not that causes the world to implode or not, they aren't going to simply skip an update to their flagship phone when they've announced that update is coming. Want to bet?

The point about the "vocal mionority" is that it would succeed in helping the story spread much wider. People who don't care *now* would hear about it, and they would agree it sucks, Moto sucks, Veriozon sucks, etc.

I understand that we all have varying levels of patience, some are more interested in the update than others (regardless of patience level) and so on. That's no rreason to think Verizon is just going to throw its hands up and give us an "our bad." Will not happen.
    Davidoo likes this.
    05-08-2015 01:33 PM
    I talked to Verizon, my rep was really nice. She talked with someone at a higher tier or something like that, they told her they have 5.1 and it will be released between now and Sunday.. Whether or not that's the truth I don't know.....

Posted via the Android Central App
    If it's the truth, it means that there was no soak test, because we'd know about that (since we all know some people don't know what "confidentiality" means when they sign on to participate).

I don't find it believable that's the case.
    Ricky Gray1 likes this.
    05-08-2015 01:39 PM
    https://plus.google.com/+DavidSchust...ts/SPCFp8L6ErL

Finally, I wanted to give an update about our plans and progress with Droid Turbo. We are working with our partner on upgrading Droid Turbo directly from KitKat to Android, Lollipop 5.1. Stay tuned for updates to come.
    maxman1 likes this.
    05-08-2015 01:58 PM
    When they say Pending partner support, doesn't that mean Verizon?

05-08-2015 01:59 PM
    When they say Pending partner support, doesn't that mean Verizon?

Yes.
    Ricky Gray1 likes this.
    05-08-2015 02:44 PM
    I talked to Verizon, my rep was really nice. She talked with someone at a higher tier or something like that, they told her they have 5.1 and it will be released between now and Sunday.. Whether or not that's the truth I don't know.....

I really believe we will be surprised how quickly it will come, but wouldn't it be unusual to be over a weekend? I always thought updates were during the workweek in case there are issues and they can handle a larger number of phone calls.
    Ricky Gray1 likes this.
    05-08-2015 03:06 PM
    I really believe we will be surprised how quickly it will come, but wouldn't it be unusual to be over a weekend? I always thought updates were during the workweek in case there are issues and they can handle a larger number of phone calls.
    If nothing gets pushed out this evening (today is Friday), I doubt anything would come out over the weekend.
    05-08-2015 03:40 PM
    Man we can only dream. Im not holding my breath though, but if its true....
    YIPPIEEE!
    05-08-2015 04:06 PM
    Of course I quoted the same message from twitter a bit earlier, but I did it sort of ironically, because it's not really an update at all. It's exactly what Luciano Carvalho said on Google+ in March - I think word for word.

I think that this happened because Droid Life has been tweeting "Where is the update for the Turbo?" every few days to Motorola and Verizon Wireless since May 1. I guess Motorola had enough or something.
    KPMcClave likes this.
    05-08-2015 05:08 PM
    There is more data in that Thread on G+

"Kirk Stromberg
    10:35 AM
    +Sean Plantz +Tim OConnell +Joanie +Jeremy Merritt
    re: timing for Droid 5.1 and David's response around TestDrive and pre-release software and timing:
    - we wanted to remind/reinforce the message regarding 5.1 on DROID Turbo for any that might have been anxious
    - we continue to work partner requirements on the release
    - pre-release TestDrive programs are channel/partner specific as David noted. In general we love to have pre-release participation.
    - we avoid time projections because it is just too easy for new issues to come up (new release/patch, a bug, partner requirement, etc.) that would derail a projected date.
    We appreciate your patience!"
    05-08-2015 05:51 PM
    There is more data in that Thread on G+

"Kirk Stromberg
    10:35 AM
    +Sean Plantz +Tim OConnell +Joanie +Jeremy Merritt
    re: timing for Droid 5.1 and David's response around TestDrive and pre-release software and timing:
    - we wanted to remind/reinforce the message regarding 5.1 on DROID Turbo for any that might have been anxious
    - we continue to work partner requirements on the release
    - pre-release TestDrive programs are channel/partner specific as David noted. In general we love to have pre-release participation.
    - we avoid time projections because it is just too easy for new issues to come up (new release/patch, a bug, partner requirement, etc.) that would derail a projected date.
    We appreciate your patience!"
    Sounds like they are working on it.
    05-08-2015 06:11 PM
    Of course I quoted the same message from twitter a bit earlier, but I did it sort of ironically, because it's not really an update at all. It's exactly what Luciano Carvalho said on Google+ in March - I think word for word.

I think that this happened because Droid Life has been tweeting "Where is the update for the Turbo?" every few days to Motorola and Verizon Wireless since May 1. I guess Motorola had enough or something.
    "It is really a shame that a device as nice as the DROID Turbo has had to wait this long to get its Lollipop upgrade, and it is possible the constant complaints of the users prompted them to ‘remind’ angry users that the upgrade is coming and that the wait will be worth it because the update will be jump directly to 5.1"
    Maybe all of our constant posting and tweeting made them feel a little pressure, or annoyance. I'm fine with either

Emperor, ckelly33 and deesugar like this.
    05-08-2015 07:11 PM

No news is news.

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)
    05-08-2015 07:59 PM
    I guess so

05-08-2015 08:08 PM
    they told her they have 5.1 and it will be released between now and Sunday.. Whether or not that's the truth I don't know.....

I think she may have said "some day" and not "Sunday"

Sent from my Ballistic Turbo
    berserker and mrtonk like this.
    05-08-2015 09:59 PM
    "It is really a shame that a device as nice as the DROID Turbo has had to wait this long to get its Lollipop upgrade, and it is possible the constant complaints of the users prompted them to ‘remind’ angry users that the upgrade is coming and that the wait will be worth it because the update will be jump directly to 5.1"
    Maybe all of our constant posting and tweeting made them feel a little pressure, or annoyance. I'm fine with either

I disagree. I don't think it's a shame at all. If there were some glaring problems with the phone that Lollipop would fix, then yes it would be a shame that it hasn't gotten it. But so far the phone has been practically perfect and is running superbly on Kit kat. As far as I'm concerned it wouldn't be a shame if it stayed on Kit Kat forever. I like my phone to work, and right now it just works.
    Ry, Hgouck and maxman1 like this.
    05-08-2015 10:04 PM
    Just to be clear I'm not saying it's not getting the Lollipop, I'm saying there's a significant chance it won't given how much additional time/money/resources which effects other Lollipop projects that have deadlines.

The huge problem with your statement that "There is zero chance this phone doesn't get the OS update" which is the same as claiming you know with 100% certainty that it is getting the update, is that we don't even know the extent of what was preventing the first update from happening. Obviously the engineering group tasked with updating the Turbo encountered a big enough problem that it wasn't feasible for them to continue. Given what's been made public it sounds like it may have been issues with VoLTE that gave them problems. Furthermore it sounds like the engineering team is hypothesizing and hoping by skipping to 5.1 it will solve all those problems because VoLTE support is "baked in" that version of Android but until they try it nobody knows and maybe there were other problems not made public that we don't know about.

There is not a 100% chance that the Turbo will successfully get an update to Lollipop. Only death and taxes are examples of 100% certainty.

If as you put it a "vocal minority" of blog sites report the failure, so what? By definition a minority isn't going to make Verizon loose sleep over anything. Ask the average person on the street if they've heard of the Turbo and I think you'll be surprised. Nobody who's seen my phone and commented knew what it was. I often get, "Oh, you got the new Galaxy 6, cool!"

I hope it get's the update but if it does I'm sure the next generation of phones will already be getting ready to launch and that's where my mind will be. I don't spend a lot of money on stuff but my one vice in life is I try to get the latest and greatest phone each year when they come out. I suspect my life with the Turbo will end up Lollipop-less.
    You're right that it's not 100% certain. The Earth could get hit by a meteor tomorrow that wipes out all life. But barring a word ending catastrophe, and assuming that neither Verizon nor Motorola will fold any time soon, yes, there is a 100% chance the Turbo will be getting a version of lollipop. It might be 5.1 or 5.1.1 or 5.1.2, but it will absolutely get it.
    KPMcClave likes this.
    05-08-2015 10:06 PM
    I disagree. I don't think it's a shame at all. If there were some glaring problems with the phone that Lollipop would fix, then yes it would be a shame that it hasn't gotten it. But so far the phone has been practically perfect and is running superbly on Kit kat. As far as I'm concerned it wouldn't be a shame if it stayed on Kit Kat forever. I like my phone to work, and right now it just works.
    Agreed. I can't wait until the update finally comes and this is replaced by a "lollipop broke my phone, wish I could go back to kit Kat" thread.

Back to lurking...

mrcraft2u, Hgouck, mrtonk and 2 others like this.
    05-09-2015 12:29 PM
    I mostly agree, but can't help but admit that I also want a reasonably bug-free LP with ART on my Turbo.
    05-09-2015 01:05 PM
    My bet is we'll get it no later than September. Hell, I remember hoping I would hopefully have it before new years but nope lol.

Sent from my (still relevant) Droid Maxx
    Codger1212 likes this.
    05-09-2015 03:22 PM
    We will get it before they announce the new Droid I hope.
    05-09-2015 03:29 PM
    Please keep the comments civil.
    05-09-2015 03:49 PM
    I was hoping the new OS would fix the camera issues. But I'm no longer holding my breath, because nothing could improve this camera enough to make me not hate it.
    KPMcClave likes this.
    05-09-2015 04:01 PM
2,029 ... 3839404142 ...