06-30-2015 01:52 PM
2,029 ... 4243444546 ...
tools
    I've never FDR'ed any of my phones after a major OS update and have never had any issues . I always find it funny when I see someone post this.
    Only time I had to do so was with the 5.1 upgrade to my Nexus 7. It would boot but prevented from being usable by a constant error. After full restore, runs fine. My rule of thumb is, if it updates & runs OK, good - if not, FDR can rescue the device.
    KPMcClave and sharkita like this.
    05-14-2015 07:55 PM
    One more phone (HTC) getting the LP update today 😠 Verizon and Motorola still silent about turbo #😯

Posted via the Android Central App
    laveets likes this.
    05-14-2015 10:31 PM
    One more phone (HTC) getting the LP update today 😠 Verizon and Motorola still silent about turbo #😯

So what.
    I don't know the point of bringing up other phones. Does it somehow make your phone less functional if another phone gets lollipop?

Posted from my Droid Turbo, Kelly and Ozone
    05-14-2015 10:43 PM
    While I share your reasoning, we do need to keep in mind that our contributors to this thread represent a wide variety of people. I'm sure prepubescent 'tards as are degreed tech geeks pooling contrasting thoughts into one thread. So, as they say about a grain of salt...

People fail to realize that these new and improved phones running the BROKEN BEYOND REPAIR SoC 810 with a bug ridden 5.0 operating system are the ones whom have truly received the proverbial shaft. 4.4.4? Until 5.1 is clean? Absolutely. I prefer technology that is reliable; not technology that boasts big numbers with lackluster performance.

Do you have any links you can share to articles that quantify the issues you mention?
    05-14-2015 11:55 PM
    Do you have any links you can share to articles that quantify the issues you mention?
    No. I read journals. The little Internet querying I do I don't document it. I'm sure you can Google it.

05-15-2015 04:55 AM
    How does Apple handle updates? Do they suggest FDR?
    Apple does things clean and efficient on their updates. It downloads, you select INSTALL UPDATE, you see an apple symbol with an indicator bar, it reboots maybe once or twice, and you're done. Zero issues with apps, optimization, system cache issues, etc... ZERO reason to ever FDR.

My wife has has been using iPhones (4,5,6) but she usually leaves it to me to run the updates for her, since they just sit there under settings until you choose to update.
    xweb10 likes this.
    05-15-2015 08:54 AM
    How does Apple handle updates? Do they suggest FDR?
    LOL no. Nobody should have to FDR after a software update, and those who have to should be allowed to punch a software engineer in the mouth.

Although, if you update through iTunes, it actually can back up and reset the device, install the update, and then copy data back. Depends on whether you do an update or choose to do a "restore". But still, all your data and apps are put back on the phone, and this only applies to plugging in to a PC. Not plugging in results in just an in-place upgrade that goes fine (assuming Apple doesn't bork your wifi or something like they did with iOS 8.1)
    xweb10 likes this.
    05-15-2015 09:21 AM
    I've had to restore my iPad from a fresh install after an update borked a couple of apps, but iOS is *MUCH EASIER* to restore to a device that's just been wiped. The iPad / iPhone will be exactly the same as it was before the restore. In fact, if you do an warranty exchange, the new device will be exactly the same when the apps have finished installing. This goes from restoring from icloud or connected to iTunes on a computer.

The only minor issue is that passwords are not backed up if the back up is done unencrypted.

Google needs to fix this for sure for android.
    TurboHope and xweb10 like this.
    05-15-2015 11:13 AM
    I've never had any issues after an android update installation personally (though I know they happen to lots of people). My last phone the lg intuition got a kk update and it went smooth. Also between auto app restore and the Verizon cloud service any restores I've done had less that 10% data loss. But I agree that apple has a excellent update system in place.

laveets likes this.
    05-15-2015 11:31 AM
    I must be the weirdo here, but I do an FDR every couple months just to clean it out. No specific issues, just feels like it runs better after a reset. I'm bad about trying out new apps, I figure it's good to clean house sometimes.
    TJ Kelly Jr likes this.
    05-15-2015 12:22 PM
    Soon we will hear the Droid turbo will be updated straight to Android M?
    This is a good point you bring up! Personally, I think Motorola and VZW will say "The turbo will be one of the first to get android M" but won't actually push the update until 14 months after M is out.

Posted via Droid Turbo
    05-15-2015 01:13 PM
    Its still a good idea to do it though. Just so many factors I guess but obviously not everyone will have issues.
    Agreed. It's not something you always have to do, of course, but if you do have issues after a major os update, it's a good idea to be prepared to do one.
    05-15-2015 01:55 PM
    Apple does things clean and efficient on their updates. It downloads, you select INSTALL UPDATE, you see an apple symbol with an indicator bar, it reboots maybe once or twice, and you're done. Zero issues with apps, optimization, system cache issues, etc... ZERO reason to ever FDR.

My wife has has been using iPhones (4,5,6) but she usually leaves it to me to run the updates for her, since they just sit there under settings until you choose to update.
    I think there's a reason for that. How many iPhone models have there been since the original in 2007? Let's say 10 or 11 iPhone models, with slightly different hardware configurations. Now how many different Android models were released in just the past YEAR? And how many different hardware configurations were there? Let's say Apple has maybe 4 models to update each time with fairly similar configurations vs probably 5 times that amount in Android. It's not hard to see why updates go more smoothly in iOS.

As far as apps working after an update, again how many different hardware configurations to app devs have to deal with compared to Android? Again, a huge difference between the two.

I'm not saying what Apple is doing is bad necessarily, but there isn't much in terms of diversity. At any one time, they've had at most 2 different new models to choose from. Each year there's probably anywhere from 30-80 different Android options to choose from. But that's the cost of update efficiency, less choice in devices. I've always said I'd love to see Apple and Android switch business models. Having Google put all their efforts into just a couple models and Apple having to spread their resources between models numbering in the double digiits with hardware partners who have different configurations, and then see how each company ends up. Another thing I've always wondered is how an Android device would run with a dedicated version of iOS on it, not just a port, and the same with a dedicated version of Android running on an iPhone. My prediction in both cases would be Apple would fall short in the hardware department. It's dependent on running a lighter OS on a few different configurations, whereas Android is a more intensive OS that's capable of running on different hardware configurations and used for different goals.

So while Apple does handle their updates more smoothly, I doubt if the situations were reversed Apple would do as well in Google's shoes as Google would do in theirs. By that I mean what I alluded to earlier, that if there were only a handful of Android devices a year, I think Google would be just as good with updates as Apple is with theirs. By that same token, if Apple had to handle the number of models Google and their OEMS deal with, they would have as many problems as Google and their OEMS do.
    RJ_Butler likes this.
    05-15-2015 01:58 PM
    Please keep the comments civil.

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)
    TurboHope likes this.
    05-15-2015 02:13 PM
    My friends Note 3 and her parents 2 Galaxy S5's have issues since Lollipop. Namely the alarm clock no longer goes off on any of their phones even though it says its set to do so. Volume is turned up.

I need my alarm so I'm glad I don't have Lollipop if its a possible issue.
    TurboHope likes this.
    05-15-2015 03:03 PM
    My friends Note 3 and her parents 2 Galaxy S5's have issues since Lollipop. Namely the alarm clock no longer goes off on any of their phones even though it says its set to do so. Volume is turned up.

My wife's Note 3 had a lot of issues after LP update as well. But after a week lots of those issues went away. The big one it still has is freezing. She needs to reset the phone but do sent want to lose everything. Did your friend reset their Note?

Posted via the Android Central App (Droid Turbo)
    05-15-2015 03:24 PM
    My wife's Note 3 had a lot of issues after LP update as well. But after a week lots of those issues went away. The big one it still has is freezing. She needs to reset the phone but do sent want to lose everything. Did your friend reset their Note?

Posted via the Android Central App (Droid Turbo)
    Yes, her alarm still doesn't work. Her parents won't reset yet though and their S5' are having the issue as well.
    TurboHope likes this.
    05-15-2015 03:32 PM
    So what.
    I don't know the point of bringing up other phones. Does it somehow make your phone less functional if another phone gets lollipop?

Posted from my Droid Turbo, Kelly and Ozone
    No it makes my phone more and more out of date.

Ricky Gray1 likes this.
    05-15-2015 05:26 PM
    I have had the Verizon Droid Turbo now for 6 months. When I bought it originally I was expecting the Lollipop update to happen at least by the first of the year. I have read about the Droid skipping 5.0 and being updated to 5.1 because of the problems with 5.0. I just can't understand why it is taking so long. If anyone knows why this is the case I would appreciate an explanation. I just keep reading it's coming soon and that it is going through the soak test. I even called Motorola the other day and they told me the update is now waiting for Verizon to finalize it and get to Droid users. I purchased a Samsung Galaxy S4 for my partner on Ebay last week. Well last night the S4 got a Lollipop update. I keep seeing all of the older phone like the HTC M7 getting Lollipop updates, but nothing for the Driod. So I've had it, and will be purchasing a Samsung Galaxy S6. Am I the only Droid user who has had it with this situation?
    TurboHope likes this.
    05-15-2015 05:37 PM
    Nope.
    05-15-2015 05:41 PM
    My guess is possibly October at the latest.

Sent from my (still relevant) Droid Maxx
    05-15-2015 05:49 PM
    Yep, we are all keeping it a big secret!!!

But seriously, nobody knows, not even sure Moto-rizon knows!!!

05-15-2015 06:08 PM
    Its still a good idea to do it though. Just so many factors I guess but obviously not everyone will have issues.
    Usually I've never had time to FDR. I signed up for the Moto Feedback network years ago . I've been selected several time for soak tests and I never bothered to FDR, figure its better to test the phone and OS as is . Only Time I had an issue my GPS stopped working on my Razor after Gingerbread update I think it was .

If I get selected to Test 5.1 cool , if not no big deal 4.4.4 is working great on my phone .
    TurboHope and maxman1 like this.
    05-15-2015 08:01 PM
    Please keep the comments civil.

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)
    Was that in regard to my posting?
    05-15-2015 10:12 PM

Are you sure this isn't the way the new OS handles notifications? I don't recall all the specifics, but I know there have been complaints about the alarm being one of the things that is silenced, and it has to do with the absence of a silent mode or something.

While it is something people don't like, it technically isn't a bug, I don't believe. It's that they changed the way notifications work and did a bad job of it (it's actually suppoed to be that way). That is, if this issue is connected to the notifications changes.

They may be able to fix the alarm problem by looking more closely at their notifications settings. As I said, I don't recall the specifics at the moment, and I obviously don't have Lollipop to take a look. Maybe someone else can jump on and add more specifics. Phil Nickinson has complained and written about the new notifications.
    05-15-2015 11:48 PM
2,029 ... 4243444546 ...