06-30-2015 12:52 PM
2,029 ... 4344454647 ...
tools
    I have had the Verizon Droid Turbo now for 6 months. When I bought it originally I was expecting the Lollipop update to happen at least by the first of the year. I have read about the Droid skipping 5.0 and being updated to 5.1 because of the problems with 5.0. I just can't understand why it is taking so long. If anyone knows why this is the case I would appreciate an explanation. I just keep reading it's coming soon and that it is going through the soak test. I even called Motorola the other day and they told me the update is now waiting for Verizon to finalize it and get to Droid users. I purchased a Samsung Galaxy S4 for my partner on Ebay last week. Well last night the S4 got a Lollipop update. I keep seeing all of the older phone like the HTC M7 getting Lollipop updates, but nothing for the Driod. So I've had it, and will be purchasing a Samsung Galaxy S6. Am I the only Droid user who has had it with this situation?
    Good luck finding lollipop hidden somewhere under touchwiz in the little animations and white backgrounds. Because that's all Samsung adopted from the material design. If you're switching to 'Samsung' just for the software then I think you're making a big mistake. It seems like you're fed up of Motorola rather than KitKat.

Posted via the Android Central App
    05-16-2015 03:42 AM
    Good luck finding lollipop hidden somewhere under touchwiz in the little animations and white backgrounds. Because that's all Samsung adopted from the material design. If you're switching to 'Samsung' just for the software then I think you're making a big mistake. It seems like you're fed up of Motorola rather than KitKat.

This is so true. My wife got lollipop on her S5, and I couldn't even tell. I literally had to look in her settings to make sure it was lollipop.

05-16-2015 08:00 AM
    My friends Note 3 and her parents 2 Galaxy S5's have issues since Lollipop. Namely the alarm clock no longer goes off on any of their phones even though it says its set to do so. Volume is turned up.

I need my alarm so I'm glad I don't have Lollipop if its a possible issue.
    Circling back to this and following up on my reply from last night, here's a vid Phil did on Notifications in the new OS. You'll note he mentions that in "None " even alarms won't sound. I think there is an additional circumstance in Do Not Disturb where alarms won't sound.

As I said last night, the alarm issues you desrcibe may not technically be a bug in the cases you mention, but by design. A lot of people don't like that design, but I'm just noting the distinction. We're all definitely used to notifications, volume, and alarms working a certain way. At the very least, Google should have been more forthcoming with a warning about this.
    05-16-2015 09:29 AM
    Based on my experience with Lollipop on my LG G3 I'm not sure why anyone would complain about not having Lollipop. I went from getting 3-4 hours of screen on time to getting 1-2 most of the time. Mix in some terrible lag and I finally said enough and I'm picking up my Droid Turbo later today. Hopefully when Motorola releases Lollipop for the Turbo it will be a better experience than what I've experienced so far.

05-16-2015 11:58 AM
    They're delaying an update on the Turbo until Android M comes out!

05-16-2015 12:49 PM
    Circling back to this and following up on my reply from last night, here's a vid Phil did on Notifications in the new OS. You'll note he mentions that in "None " even alarms won't sound. I think there is an additional circumstance in Do Not Disturb where alarms won't sound.
    On my AT&T 2014 Moto X with 5.0.2 my notifications screen is a bit different and alarms are set as always priority interruptions, so that is one feature that might have been revised from 5.0. I use the alarm feature a lot, and I've never had it not work. For what it's worth, I'm not a fan of the new notifications and basically leave my settings as "always interrupt."

Google took something simple like the sound settings and made it more complicated in Lollipop, and not in a good way, but that's just my opinion of course. I added a sound toggle to my Power Toggles widget and adjust my volume settings that way.

To me that's the beauty of Android. If the os doesn't let you do what you want, there's always an app or different launcher that lets you pretty much get what you want. I've never been able to do that with Apple.
    KPMcClave likes this.
    05-16-2015 04:38 PM
    I think there's a reason for that. How many iPhone models have there been since the original in 2007? Let's say 10 or 11 iPhone models, with slightly different hardware configurations. Now how many different Android models were released in just the past YEAR? And how many different hardware configurations were there? Let's say Apple has maybe 4 models to update each time with fairly similar configurations vs probably 5 times that amount in Android. It's not hard to see why updates go more smoothly in iOS.

As far as apps working after an update, again how many different hardware configurations to app devs have to deal with compared to Android? Again, a huge difference between the two.

I'm not saying what Apple is doing is bad necessarily, but there isn't much in terms of diversity. At any one time, they've had at most 2 different new models to choose from. Each year there's probably anywhere from 30-80 different Android options to choose from. But that's the cost of update efficiency, less choice in devices. I've always said I'd love to see Apple and Android switch business models. Having Google put all their efforts into just a couple models and Apple having to spread their resources between models numbering in the double digiits with hardware partners who have different configurations, and then see how each company ends up. Another thing I've always wondered is how an Android device would run with a dedicated version of iOS on it, not just a port, and the same with a dedicated version of Android running on an iPhone. My prediction in both cases would be Apple would fall short in the hardware department. It's dependent on running a lighter OS on a few different configurations, whereas Android is a more intensive OS that's capable of running on different hardware configurations and used for different goals.

So while Apple does handle their updates more smoothly, I doubt if the situations were reversed Apple would do as well in Google's shoes as Google would do in theirs. By that I mean what I alluded to earlier, that if there were only a handful of Android devices a year, I think Google would be just as good with updates as Apple is with theirs. By that same token, if Apple had to handle the number of models Google and their OEMS deal with, they would have as many problems as Google and their OEMS do.
    I agree, but with a slight change in my head. Google does only have a handful of phones to update, the nexus devices. And, from what I've heard, those go pretty smoothly aside from bugs, but even Apple has those.

The rest are updated by manufacturer and carrier by making modifications to the source code for android and throwing their own spins and skins over it, such as touchwiz and others like it.

In reality, Google, like Apple, does a good job of updating "their" phones (Nexus and iPhone respectively), the other manufactures and carriers are what screw up android releases and cause delays.

05-16-2015 05:52 PM
    My friends Note 3 and her parents 2 Galaxy S5's have issues since Lollipop. Namely the alarm clock no longer goes off on any of their phones even though it says its set to do so. Volume is turned up.

I need my alarm so I'm glad I don't have Lollipop if its a possible issue.
    OK so the way this works is that you can't mute the phone entirely. But if you choose the "priority interruptions only" option and leave the volume up, it has basically the same effect. With Lollipop they don't want you to mute the phone, which is really confusing. My wife had an S5 (just got her a Turbo to match mine) and for like a week until we figured out what the dang thing wanted, her alarm was not going off. Once we left the volume up and did just priority interruptions, it didn't keep us awake (because priority interruptiosn turns off sound/LED for notifications unless you label them as priorities) and the alarm went off. Once you get used to it, ti's probably better than the old way of doing things. However, there needs to be a degree of safety with alarms; I *always* want them to go off, regardless of the state of the phone, and I think everyone else does too. I believe this to be a Lollipop issue, not an S5 or other phone issue, but Google needs to fix it.
    KPMcClave likes this.
    05-17-2015 07:03 AM
    OK so the way this works is that you can't mute the phone entirely. But if you choose the "priority interruptions only" option and leave the volume up, it has basically the same effect. With Lollipop they don't want you to mute the phone, which is really confusing. My wife had an S5 (just got her a Turbo to match mine) and for like a week until we figured out what the dang thing wanted, her alarm was not going off. Once we left the volume up and did just priority interruptions, it didn't keep us awake (because priority interruptiosn turns off sound/LED for notifications unless you label them as priorities) and the alarm went off. Once you get used to it, ti's probably better than the old way of doing things. However, there needs to be a degree of safety with alarms; I *always* want them to go off, regardless of the state of the phone, and I think everyone else does too. I believe this to be a Lollipop issue, not an S5 or other phone issue, but Google needs to fix it.
    Thank you for the clarification. I'll pass it on to her.
    KPMcClave likes this.
    05-17-2015 09:58 AM
    Thanks for that. It's to what I was referring earlier. I appreciate you helping others with more specifics than I had.

As I said previously, this isn't a bug, it's how they intended it. I agree completely they should have at worst made it much more clear for Lollipop owners, since it changes so much what we'd all been used to doing.
    DeerSteak likes this.
    05-17-2015 10:40 AM
    The alarm confusion only serves to reinforce my opinion that the problems with Lollipop that are sometimes portrayed as being vast, and a reason to wait until we get a "bug free" version (which will never come as there's no such thing), are exaggerated.

The alarm thing is for a lot of folks a dumb update, but it isn't a bug. It's as intended as I understand it. Not knowing how to use new features can be frustrating, but it isn't the fault of bugginess.

I mean, I don't *like* the further lightening of Android with Material Design, but I understand that's how it's intended to be.
    05-17-2015 10:48 AM
    As far as bug free Lollipop, my dell venue 8 was upgraded to 5.02 a few days ago, it's butter, so smooth and fast, who would have thought dell could roll like this? My nexus 7 was turned into a turd with 5.1 . I personally am at a loss why Verizon and moto can't get there act together. Yes my turbo is good , but could be better. This is the last droid I will own and to me that sad. Good phone, no support.

05-17-2015 11:15 AM
    As far as bug free Lollipop, my dell venue 8 was upgraded to 5.02 a few days ago, it's butter, so smooth and fast, who would have thought dell could roll like this? My nexus 7 was turned into a turd with 5.1 . I personally am at a loss why Verizon and moto can't get there act together. Yes my turbo is good , but could be better. This is the last droid I will own and to me that sad. Good phone, no support.

To be clear, as I've said this before but not in that most recent message, I'm not saying any OS update will have bugs for everyone. But someone will always have bugs. There are just far too many variables that change from one individual's handset to the next.
    05-17-2015 11:46 AM
    The alarm confusion only serves to reinforce my opinion that the problems with Lollipop that are sometimes portrayed as being vast, and a reason to wait until we get a "bug free" version (which will never come as there's no such thing), are exaggerated.

The alarm thing is for a lot of folks a dumb update, but it isn't a bug. It's as intended as I understand it. Not knowing how to use new features can be frustrating, but it isn't the fault of bugginess.

I mean, I don't *like* the further lightening of Android with Material Design, but I understand that's how it's intended to be.
    I never considered this but maybe manufacturers need to have a network that sends emails out to everyone's Gmail account with the changes and how to deal with them. Or at the very least offer a clickable link when the phone boots up to explain the changes and guide people through them.

Let's face it, even us tech heads here had no idea why they made the change to the alarms. How would we? Something so simple which has worked since the days of flip phones and earlier is now negatively impacted by silence settings. Come on, Google. Really?
    KPMcClave likes this.
    05-17-2015 11:48 AM
  15. Lee Moncure Smith Rodriguez's Avatar

FYI, Google owns Motorola so it will be hard to get away from them. I'm not sure if you know that.
    05-17-2015 04:13 PM
    FYI, Google owns Motorola so it will be hard to get away from them. I'm not sure if you know that.
    Google sold Motorola.
    05-17-2015 04:27 PM
    Google sold Motorola.
    Yep... To Lenovo.

cooper_m22 likes this.
    05-17-2015 05:32 PM
    Yep... To Lenovo.

Although, I'm not sure if the sale is finalized yet. Does anyone know? I remember hearing Google still had control when the Turbo was being made.
    05-17-2015 07:49 PM
    Although, I'm not sure if the sale is finalized yet. Does anyone know? I remember hearing Google still had control when the Turbo was being made.
    Been final for a good amount of time now.

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)
    05-17-2015 08:14 PM
    Been final for a good amount of time now.

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)
    Alright, I didn't realize this. Or maybe I did and just forgot. Who knows.
    05-17-2015 09:38 PM
    Best overall review of the turbo and statement about the Lollipop issue I have read so far.
    http://www.digitaltrends.com/cell-ph...-turbo-review/

maxman1 likes this.
    05-17-2015 09:54 PM
    Best overall review of the turbo and statement about the Lollipop issue I have read so far.

That's the thing, lacking Lollipop isn't necessarily a bad thing for some but others disagree for one reason or another. I've got four friends with Lollipop and all of them want to go back to KitKat. No one wants it for a variety of reasons within my small circle of friends. I want it, but only when its fully baked. Moving forward must be to fix glitches rather than create new glitches. If my battery life take a hit, don't update it until it doesn't.

I get it, many want the newest but newest isn't always the best. Those who get something first generally beta test the product. I don't want to be a beta tester anymore, I want a device that works as good if not better than the day I bought it. There lies the issue with Android - I've had friends with Droid RAZR Maxx and of course the updates totally jacked the phone up to the point of freezing. They had to buy new phones although had to wait out their contact first which was frustrating. Granted, this isn't the case with Lollipop on the Turbo but just making a point that newest isn't always greatest.

Sorry if its out of order. Just kept going.
    TurboHope likes this.
    05-17-2015 11:16 PM

Good read, first I'd seen it & thanks for posting. . Although I'm not in the group that is furious about the lack of Lollipop, the article was pretty close to my thoughts on the device & it's performance. As far as the lack of update goes, IMHO the phone is so freakishly good in so many ways on so many different things I'm patiently waiting with what you might say is a minor annoyance. It certainly doesn't wreck my day or make me want to dump the phone.
    TurboHope and Eclipse2K like this.
    05-17-2015 11:33 PM
    The official Droid by Motorola Instagram account posted this saying "Something bright is coming." Guess it's some kinda news I guess.

Sent from my (still relevant) Droid Maxx
    Attached Thumbnails Droid Turbo: Lollipop software update?-98589.jpg  
    Cajun_Mike likes this.
    05-18-2015 11:25 AM
    I'm sure it's the early promotion of the next droid
    Codger1212 likes this.
    05-18-2015 12:04 PM
2,029 ... 4344454647 ...