06-30-2015 01:52 PM
2,029 ... 5657585960 ...
tools
    I'm not aware of any previous soak tests being made public. Those who participate in the soak tests are usually covered by non-disclosure agreements. So, those who say they are in a soak test usually aren't.
    I can tell you with 100% certainty that people break those NDAs. SO even though its not Moto making the soak tests public, previous soak tests have always been made public. Motorola even comments on that within the soak test forum.
    Soak test invitation emails and release notes from the soak test forums have been posted on this site and others. Those are only available to people in the soak test. So while I can't tell you that everyone who says they are in a soak test is actually in the soak test, I can tell you with complete certainty that people who are in the soak test break the confidentiality agreement and report on what is going on with the soak tests.
    KPMcClave likes this.
    06-07-2015 01:38 PM
    there is an agreement you make with motorola, you tell them you wont go around telling everyone whats going on and if you break it they can boot you from future events
    06-07-2015 04:13 PM
    there is an agreement you make with motorola, you tell them you wont go around telling everyone whats going on and if you break it they can boot you from future events
    And, as we've said, those are routinely ignored.
    06-07-2015 04:15 PM
    The nature of the emergency calling bug probably dictated that no soak was needed.
    But they did soak test the update on the 2013 Moto X for Verizon.

http://www.droid-life.com/2015/05/29...ming-lollipop/
    06-07-2015 04:17 PM
    And, as we've said, those are routinely ignored.
    And put the soak program in jeopardy at one point.

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)
    Aquila likes this.
    06-07-2015 05:15 PM
    But they did soak test the update on the 2013 Moto X for Verizon.

http://www.droid-life.com/2015/05/29...ming-lollipop/
    But not for the other devices.

06-07-2015 05:15 PM
    I guess I just don't get the need for such secrecy and a "cone of silence" so to speak for this. So what if everyone knows they are doing a soak test? This is not national security, it is a freaking software update, geez. I have said it many times before, but I just don't get how these cellular companies get by with such secrecy and not providing information to their customers. I know of no other industry that can just tell you "we'll fix stuff when we feel like it and there is nothing you can do about it....and oh, by the way, you still have to pay your bill in full." Even cable companies give better service than this (at least they give you a 2 or 4 hour window). Can you imagine if you bought a new car and there was some flaw in it and the dealer just told you "we may have a fix for it but we don't know when it will be out, just live with it and don't call us, we'll call you."
    travaz likes this.
    06-07-2015 05:36 PM
    I guess I just don't get the need for such secrecy and a "cone of silence" so to speak for this. So what if everyone knows they are doing a soak test? This is not national security, it is a freaking software update, geez. I have said it many times before, but I just don't get how these cellular companies get by with such secrecy and not providing information to their customers. I know of no other industry that can just tell you "we'll fix stuff when we feel like it and there is nothing you can do about it....and oh, by the way, you still have to pay your bill in full." Even cable companies give better service than this (at least they give you a 2 or 4 hour window). Can you imagine if you bought a new car and there was some flaw in it and the dealer just told you "we may have a fix for it but we don't know when it will be out, just live with it and don't call us, we'll call you."
    Getting a major ota isn't like having a muffler fixed, its like having a 2016 charger body (and some other parts) on your 2014 avenger chassis and engine that still runs fine as an avenger. If they'd given you a product that sucks, then it would have been returned. Remember that a major ota is a FREE upgrade to a device that was meant to run as it was sold. This isn't warranty service and you're not paying for their software. At all.

M Dev Nexus 6 Assassin Edition. Android Central Moderator.
    KPMcClave and Hgouck like this.
    06-07-2015 05:59 PM
    To be fair, the soak test are done by the Motorola Feedback Network not, the carriers. I don't know of soak testing being done by anyone except Moto however it's certainly possible. AFAIK, it's unique to Motorola.
    06-07-2015 06:04 PM
    The situations you're referring to are a company fixing one situation, yours. In something like an OS OTA update, they're not just updating your device, but anywhere from hundreds of thousands to millions of people's devices, all at once. And those updates also have to work well with the network they're running on and not cause any issues with it either. Microsoft announces set dates for their upgrades, but they don't have any network consideration to deal with. So the situations aren't really the same, you're comparing someone physically coming out to fix one customer's equipment, where here they're handling thousands to millions of customers' equipment at the same time, and have make sure their update will work with the network it runs on.

As far as the need for secrecy, no it's not national security, but if they did set a date and missed it, there would be a backlash. Now I know others have said that it wouldn't be that big of a deal, but those who are on forums like ours can be very vocal, and since tech blogs like a juicy story, they'll run with it and the average consumer may read about it in something like Yahoo News, MSN, or Forbes. So regardless of how informed they are, there's a good chance they'll end up hearing about it through regular news channels. But if they don't give a date, they aren't considered late, whether we believe so or not.
    06-07-2015 06:19 PM
    Just root and flash, you could already have lollipop by now. So easy to do also 😄

AT&T LG G3 running 5.1.1 AICP 🍭
    06-07-2015 07:03 PM
    To be fair, the soak test are done by the Motorola Feedback Network not, the carriers. I don't know of soak testing being done by anyone except Moto however it's certainly possible. AFAIK, it's unique to Motorola.
    To be fair, soak tests are near final software as in it's the same version as the final release version.

06-07-2015 07:48 PM
    Yes they sort of are (they are really not - you sign nothing when you join the soak, so that would be an unenforceable NDA).

But I have *NEVER* heard of a soak test that wasn't publicized when the first invitation emails were sent out.
    People who do the soak tests don't officially "sign" anything but by going through the survey you have to take before the soak begins, and agreeing to the conditions (Non disclosure being one of them), you have to agree that you aren't going to disclose information. If you don't agree, you don't soak. If you do agree, and disclose anyways, you can be punished (mostly by loss of soak test privileges but I'm sure they can have other ramifications if they wanted to).

In essence, by filling out the electronic survey, agreeing to the terms and conditions and providing the information they requested, then you are "signing" the NDA.

Same as accepting terms and conditions on a website or piece of software, while you don't officially sign, by agreeing to the terms you can be held legally responsible.

Posted via the Android Central App
    KPMcClave likes this.
    06-07-2015 08:59 PM
    The situations you're referring to are a company fixing one situation, yours. In something like an OS OTA update, they're not just updating your device, but anywhere from hundreds of thousands to millions of people's devices, all at once. And those updates also have to work well with the network they're running on and not cause any issues with it either. Microsoft announces set dates for their upgrades, but they don't have any network consideration to deal with. So the situations aren't really the same, you're comparing someone physically coming out to fix one customer's equipment, where here they're handling thousands to millions of customers' equipment at the same time, and have make sure their update will work with the network it runs on.

As far as the need for secrecy, no it's not national security, but if they did set a date and missed it, there would be a backlash. Now I know others have said that it wouldn't be that big of a deal, but those who are on forums like ours can be very vocal, and since tech blogs like a juicy story, they'll run with it and the average consumer may read about it in something like Yahoo News, MSN, or Forbes. So regardless of how informed they are, there's a good chance they'll end up hearing about it through regular news channels. But if they don't give a date, they aren't considered late, whether we believe so or not.
    Just think, there's a ton of backlash right now, without a date, imagine if they had given a date and missed it!!!

Soak tests are supposed to be secret because of the time thing, features, etc. If they soak an update, find it doesn't work or one part doesn't work and they delay the update or pull that one part, people would go crazy because they delayed an update or pulled a feature they drastically had to have....even though it wasn't functioning.

06-07-2015 09:05 PM
    Dan Mead was NEVER the CEO of the entire company. He was head of Wireless but reported to McAdam. McAdam has been CEO of Verizon Communications as a whole since 2010 when he replaced Ivan Seidenberg. Mead is now involved in a special project and when that wraps up he will retire.

06-07-2015 09:13 PM
    Dan Mead was NEVER the CEO of the entire company. He was head of Wireless but reported to McAdam. McAdam has been CEO of Verizon Communications as a whole since 2010 when he replaced Ivan Seidenberg. Mead is now involved in a special project and when that wraps up he will retire.

That's what I said, that Dan Mead was the CEO for Verizon Wireless, which is who we're dealing with here. If all you have is cell service, it's through Verizon Wireless, not plain Verizon or Verizon Communications. Yes, Verizon Wireless is a part of Verizon Communications, but in terms of wireless service, that's handled through Verizon Wireless. And when Lowell McAdam was CEO of Verizon Wireless, he was the person we usually got our info from, not the CFO. That was the point I was making.
    06-08-2015 01:01 AM
    I believe that 129 db is incorrect. Unless I'm mistaken the lowest you can have is -120
    Here's a screenshot to prove it.

http://i1306.photobucket.com/albums/...psckhm85yy.png
    88horizon5speed likes this.
    06-08-2015 01:06 AM
    Completely fake.

Okay, for real though I've heard this can happen. When I was having service issues due to ice on the towers my LTE signal was -120 dBm and I was still able to make/receive calls and texts/data. I asked a tech support agent how that's possible and while I forgot the highest number possible he did mention its well beyond -120.

Ah good ol technology. Changing just to confuse us!?
    06-08-2015 06:19 AM
    People who do the soak tests don't officially "sign" anything but by going through the survey you have to take before the soak begins, and agreeing to the conditions (Non disclosure being one of them), you have to agree that you aren't going to disclose information. If you don't agree, you don't soak. If you do agree, and disclose anyways, you can be punished (mostly by loss of soak test privileges but I'm sure they can have other ramifications if they wanted to).

In essence, by filling out the electronic survey, agreeing to the terms and conditions and providing the information they requested, then you are "signing" the NDA.

Same as accepting terms and conditions on a website or piece of software, while you don't officially sign, by agreeing to the terms you can be held legally responsible.

Yes, I hear that they do all of that. What I said was that you are not signing a non-disclosure agreement legally, and there is no legal recourse that Motorola can use like they could if you actually signed an NDA. If they tried to, especially if they tried to recover monetary damages, it would never hold up in court. In fact, I have read people who have mentioned facts about a soak test update on this site who have then mentioned later on that they were part of future soak tests, so I don't think that Motorola spends too much time punishing people about discussing soak tests as they happen.

My point is that an NDA is a real legal thing that specifies real penalties that a soak test participator never signs. Yes, it's a pedantic point.

I personally never would disclose anything about a soak test, but the fact remains that I have never, ever heard of a soak test that hasn't been publicized within an hour on multiple sites on the Internet, including this one.

If a lollipop update to the turbo happens in the coming week or two without a soak test, especially after a soak test for the emergency dialing update on the Motorola X that didn't happen on the last two Droid platforms, I'm going to wonder if Motorola has decided not to do them on the droids anymore, or if Verizon has asked them not to.
    06-08-2015 06:24 AM
    I have a sinking feeling the 10th will come and go without any fanfare. But I can't say I'm right and hope that I'm wrong.
    06-08-2015 11:12 AM
    Honestly, i hope June 10th is legit. However i will not update on the spot. I plan on getting an idea on what possible bugs there will be before i jump on the bandwagon.
    Another month won't hurt, because im a power user and my phone is my primary computing/gaming/networking device daily.
    Last thing i want is half battery life, or lag.
    And iv been waiting for this damn update since feb.
    06-08-2015 12:35 PM
    No soak test = no June 10.
    KPMcClave likes this.
    06-08-2015 12:49 PM
    Not true. There have been numerous updates released from moto without a soak test being public.

Facts > Speculation

Ry and dungoyle like this.
    06-08-2015 01:31 PM
    I'm sure motorola and Verizon are going to release a 500 MB update without testing it. I've had motorola phones since the original droid X. Will not happen.
    KPMcClave likes this.
    06-08-2015 01:33 PM
    Remember, soak and start of rollout to non-soak users can sometimes happen simultaneously.

While I don't believe the June 10th date, I do feel like we're getting closer as a bunch of Moto X variants are getting 5.1 today (6/8).
    maxman1, Aquila and TurboHope like this.
    06-08-2015 01:46 PM
2,029 ... 5657585960 ...