06-30-2015 12:52 PM
2,029 ... 5758596061 ...
tools
    Not true. There have been numerous updates released from moto without a soak test being public.

Facts > Speculation

Posted via the Android Central App
    Name one major Verizon OS update that Moto has not soak tested in the past couple of years.
    06-08-2015 12:57 PM
    I'm sure motorola and Verizon are going to release a 500 MB update without testing it. I've had motorola phones since the original droid X. Will not happen.
    Soak tests to end users are very very late in the process. Most, if not all of the time, the software is the same version as the final.
    maxman1 and Almeuit like this.
    06-08-2015 01:11 PM
    This isn't anything new for any of us, just like the way they state that we all should be happy we didn't get lp 5.0.

http://androidspin.com/2015/06/07/an...ing-june-10th/

06-08-2015 03:56 PM
    Name one major Verizon OS update that Moto has not soak tested in the past couple of years.

Tricky tricky. What's your definition of "major?" Also, note my original wording - public soak test. I'm not saying that they don't test their updates, of course they do. But they don't always offer soak tests publicly before release, and sometimes they have conducted their soak tests while doing the OTA (which, honestly doesn't seem to make sense to me).

06-08-2015 07:31 PM
    Wednesday has a 3% chance of being correct.

M Dev Nexus 6 Assassin Edition. Android Central Moderator.
    KPMcClave likes this.
    06-08-2015 07:52 PM
    Tricky tricky. What's your definition of "major?" Also, note my original wording - public soak test. I'm not saying that they don't test their updates, of course they do. But they don't always offer soak tests publicly before release, and sometimes they have conducted their soak tests while doing the OTA (which, honestly doesn't seem to make sense to me).

So you can't name one?

As I've said before, it's certainly technically possible they would release a major OS update with no public soak test, but that would be bigger news than the update itself given their normal MO and Lollipop's reputation.

06-08-2015 07:55 PM
    I have seen soak tests that were 24 hours before the software was rolled out to the public. The main advantage of a soak for Motorola is that they get direct and immediate feed back from the soakers. It is normally final software and it lets them keep an eye on what is going on. I have also been told that soaks can be upwards of 20,000 participants.
    KPMcClave likes this.
    06-08-2015 08:45 PM
    I've been signed up for the soak tests for the last few years on the Droid Bionic and Droid Maxx. I think I was part of every test, but none of them happened more than a day before the release to the general public - at least for me. So the whole point of soak test seems pointless to me. By the time I was able to provide feedback, the upgrades were already available to everyone else..
    06-08-2015 09:11 PM
    Major update Wednesday = Android M

06-08-2015 09:23 PM
    Yes, I hear that they do all of that. What I said was that you are not signing a non-disclosure agreement legally, and there is no legal recourse that Motorola can use like they could if you actually signed an NDA. If they tried to, especially if they tried to recover monetary damages, it would never hold up in court. In fact, I have read people who have mentioned facts about a soak test update on this site who have then mentioned later on that they were part of future soak tests, so I don't think that Motorola spends too much time punishing people about discussing soak tests as they happen.

My point is that an NDA is a real legal thing that specifies real penalties that a soak test participator never signs. Yes, it's a pedantic point.

I personally never would disclose anything about a soak test, but the fact remains that I have never, ever heard of a soak test that hasn't been publicized within an hour on multiple sites on the Internet, including this one.

If a lollipop update to the turbo happens in the coming week or two without a soak test, especially after a soak test for the emergency dialing update on the Motorola X that didn't happen on the last two Droid platforms, I'm going to wonder if Motorola has decided not to do them on the droids anymore, or if Verizon has asked them not to.
    I would never reveal soak test information as I take the non disclosure part very seriously. Yes, some are going to disclose and possibly not get caught. Others are going to get caught. As I stated, the penalty is typically going to be loss of future soak opportunities.

I seriously doubt that they would go after monetary punishment as it's not really that big of a deal for software that is going to be released within a week anyways. I don't think there is any kind of monetary loss for them so I don't think they would bother.

I'm not a lawyer, so I don't have examples or proof, but I would bet that they've covered their bases in case they wanted to pursue monetary damages with their current procedures.

06-08-2015 10:43 PM
    I have seen soak tests that were 24 hours before the software was rolled out to the public. The main advantage of a soak for Motorola is that they get direct and immediate feed back from the soakers. It is normally final software and it lets them keep an eye on what is going on. I have also been told that soaks can be upwards of 20,000 participants.
    I agree. My other comments and yours aren't mutually exclusive (not suggesting you were saying otherwise).

However, right now, it's Tuesday the 9th in the East. Even *if* they rolled out a soak and the wide release at the same time, they would have to send out invitations, gather responses and roll out the soak in less than 48 hours from now to hit an end-of-day rollout of the soak (with the official wide release).

There is at least a day, and usually more like a couple, between invitations and soak rollouts.

So, that means, if the 10th is accurate for the Turbo's Lollipop release, there is no public soak.

All my money is on that not happening.
    06-08-2015 11:17 PM
    I've been signed up for the soak tests for the last few years on the Droid Bionic and Droid Maxx. I think I was part of every test, but none of them happened more than a day before the release to the general public - at least for me. So the whole point of soak test seems pointless to me. By the time I was able to provide feedback, the upgrades were already available to everyone else..
    This hasn't been the case with every soak test.
    06-08-2015 11:21 PM
    Wednesday has a 3% chance of being correct.

M Dev Nexus 6 Assassin Edition. Android Central Moderator.
    +1 totally agree . I'll believe it when I see it .
    Boy there will be a lot of upset people here on this forum if the updated isn't pushed out . Rofl
    06-09-2015 07:01 AM
    +1 totally agree . I'll believe it when I see it .
    Boy there will be a lot of upset people here on this forum if the updated isn't pushed out . Rofl
    The sad thing is they will probably blame Moto and/or Verizon for missing the promised date of June 10th when neither of them are the one who gave that date

Posted from my Droid Turbo, Kelly and Ozone
    mrtonk and KPMcClave like this.
    06-09-2015 07:55 AM
    I haven't seen it brought up here yet, but it's interesting to note that the originator of the June 10 rumor states that "there will be no soak".

Take a peek at his Twitter (since the forum won't let me post links , you'll have to look through Twitter user RDR0b11's posts for this quote from June 4).
    06-09-2015 09:41 AM
    There's a higher chance that tomorrow will be about a mention or teaser of the Turbo successor then any software update for the aging original Turbo.
    06-09-2015 09:49 AM
    I don't put any faith in the June 10th rumor but after the last soak i wouldn't be surprised if Moto ended the soak program all together for the Turbo. All it was was page after page after page of people complaining about the process. Then people went outside of the soak forums and complained on tech forums, often copying and pasting things directly from the soak forums. If that's how people are gonna act i don't know why Moto would continue the soak program. To me it wouldn't be worth it. But we'll see.

jessegio34, KPMcClave and dungoyle like this.
    06-09-2015 10:25 AM
    I don't put any faith in the June 10th rumor but after the last soak i wouldn't be surprised if Moto ended the soak program all together for the Turbo. All it was was page after page after page of people complaining about the process. Then people went outside of the soak forums and complained on tech forums, often copying and pasting things directly from the soak forums. If that's how people are gonna act i don't know why Moto would continue the soak program. To me it wouldn't be worth it. But we'll see.

Well, it's their ballgame, so they can obviously pull the plug wheneverr they choose. I would think they'd announce it if they chose to do that, but then not doing so would follow perfectly the complaints you mention, as they were in regard to keeping customers sequestered and uninformed in a soak when the thing took *weeks* to roll out.
    06-09-2015 12:20 PM
    I wonder if this news will have any impact on our supposed June 10 Turbo/Maxx 5.1 update...???
    http://a.mynews.ly/!ED.CkN6

Posted via Android Central App
    06-09-2015 12:39 PM
    Web site now says "Sorry, this content is no longer available."
    06-09-2015 12:55 PM
    I wonder if this news will have any impact on our supposed June 10 Turbo/Maxx 5.1 update...???
    http://a.mynews.ly/!ED.CkN6

I get a Bad Gateway error from that.
    06-09-2015 12:56 PM
    Try this :
    http://a.mynews.ly/!ED.CkPZ3

TurboHope likes this.
    06-09-2015 01:00 PM
    Try this :

No good...I get bad gateway too.

Just quote it?
    06-09-2015 01:02 PM
    Try this :

I Dont know if this will affect anything, but if it does it wouldn't be a positive one.

06-09-2015 01:14 PM
    No good...I get bad gateway too.

Just quote it?
    The link worked for me. Anyway, here it is (but hit the link so the writer can get his due: Android 5.1 Update Release For Moto X 2014 Pure Edition Halted).

It was only a couple of weeks back that we reported about the 2014 Moto X Pure Edition finally receiving the Android 5.1 Lollipop update. The update was sent out soon after the 2014 Moto X got its Android 5.1 ride. It appears though that the roll out has not gone off without a hitch, which is why Motorola has halted the update for the Pure Edition. It's unclear at this point in time when Motorola will resume the roll out.

Apparently a bug was found in the Android 5.1 update for 2014 Moto X Pure Edition which has forced the company to halt the roll out, the bug was caught pretty early on so by that time majority of the users were yet to receive the update.

Senior Director of Software Product Management at Motorola, David Schuster, writes on Google+ that the company has come up with a fix for the bug and it's currently testing the fix internally. Motorola expects to submit the updated firmware to carriers for testing and obtain a “quick approval” in just a couple of weeks.

Once carriers sign off on the updated firmware, Motorola can get down to the business of sending it out to users, who are no doubt anxiously waiting to get a taste of Lollipop on their 2014 Moto X Pure Edition.Android 5.1 Update Release For Moto X 2014 Pure Edition Halted
    06-09-2015 01:19 PM
2,029 ... 5758596061 ...