06-30-2015 12:52 PM
2,029 ... 45678 ...
tools
    Are the lollipop bugs everyone is talking about actually lollipop bugs, or are they just caused by older apps not updated for lollipop yet?

I have read that while mostly the same, there are some aspects of app coding that will change, causing problems for some apps.
    12-01-2014 02:20 PM
    That was a WTF decision on Motorola's part. I can't believe they did that.
    I agree, although I doubt design was anywhere near Motorola's top priority when creating the phone. I would imagine that most people purchasing this phone prefer function over form.
    12-01-2014 02:26 PM
    I agree, although I doubt design was anywhere near Motorola's top priority when creating the phone. I would imagine that most people purchasing this phone prefer function over form.
    It has to be a Verizon thing. Verizon owns the Droid brand so they have much say over the design.
    12-01-2014 02:33 PM
    It has to be a Verizon thing. Verizon owns the Droid brand so they have much say over the design.
    Interesting. I just don't understand why a carrier con have so much input into a manufacturer's device.
    12-01-2014 02:36 PM
    Interesting. I just don't understand why a carrier con have so much input into a manufacturer's device.
    You're looking at it wrong. (Sorry, had to use a Jobs-ism)

This wasn't a device that Motorola created for themselves, this is a device that Verizon ordered from Motorola. That's the deal with carrier exclusives, the customer, which in this case would be the carrier, has final say in the design and specs of the device. Carrier exclusives aren't about what the manufacturer wants, but what the carrier wants.
    Casey DC, p3ntyne and videoouija like this.
    12-01-2014 03:07 PM
    Are the lollipop bugs everyone is talking about actually lollipop bugs, or are they just caused by older apps not updated for lollipop yet?

I have read that while mostly the same, there are some aspects of app coding that will change, causing problems for some apps.
    Its a mixed bag. Some apps definitely are having issues with ART. But there's a couple of lollipop bugs affecting the Moto X.

Posted via the Android Central App
    12-01-2014 08:13 PM
    You're looking at it wrong. (Sorry, had to use a Jobs-ism)

This wasn't a device that Motorola created for themselves, this is a device that Verizon ordered from Motorola. That's the deal with carrier exclusives, the customer, which in this case would be the carrier, has final say in the design and specs of the device. Carrier exclusives aren't about what the manufacturer wants, but what the carrier wants.
    Thanks! I didn't know that.
    12-02-2014 02:48 AM
    Yeah, honestly until they develop a dark themed version of lollipop I'm not all that excited. White backgrounds for everything are too bright for my liking and they probably use more battery. In a dark room who wants to be staring at a sheet of white light. just my opinion.
    Agree. I'm laying in a dark room right now with Tapatalk set to the dark theme. I can't stand white backgrounds! In fact, I won't use wallpapers that are bright.

Sent from my Motorola Droid Turbo
    12-02-2014 05:32 AM
    KitKat is the only thing holding back the Turbo (and almost all Android phones) in my opinion. Lollipop may not be 100% yet, but KK looks archaic in comparison.
    videoouija likes this.
    12-02-2014 09:59 AM
    I sure hope the Droid Turbo does not work out like the Droid DNA. The DNA got update 6-10 months after most phones since Verizon had to do some of the work. If that happens again I will leave Verizon and throw away my Turbo.
    12-02-2014 10:51 AM
    I sure hope the Droid Turbo does not work out like the Droid DNA. The DNA got update 6-10 months after most phones since Verizon had to do some of the work. If that happens again I will leave Verizon and throw away my Turbo.
    I had the DNA as well and will say that I was thankful for the updates regardless of when they came through. I never had any problems with their updates. The DNA was another Verizon exclusive. I would rather have an updated software that works without issues than one that is riddled with problems. Lollipop can come to my Turbo when it is good and ready.
    tvouge likes this.
    12-02-2014 10:57 AM
    Last year's Droids (Maxx, Ultra and Mini) received the KitKat update in late December, about a month after the Moto X on Verizon did. I suspect that the timing will be the same or close to the same this year. The only difference may be that Verizon will want to push an update for VoLTE first on KitKat for the Turbo and then update to Lollipop, since they promised VoLTE by the end of the year, and that could push a 5.0 update back a bit.

The Moto phones that Verizon is now selling for Droids should be much easier to update than the DNA was - Motorola doesn't have to update the Sense stuff that HTC puts on their phones, as the phones are very close to stock Android, and the Turbo software build is almost exactly like the Moto X, so all the work they did to update the X should make the Turbo update pretty quick.

But, here's the thing: the KitKat update for the Droids last year had all sorts of bugs with 4.4 that weren't fixed until a 4.4.4 update in July. So maybe the Turbo will be better off if Verizon and Moto wait a bit to push an update...
    12-02-2014 12:39 PM
    I had the DNA as well and will say that I was thankful for the updates regardless of when they came through. I never had any problems with their updates. The DNA was another Verizon exclusive. I would rather have an updated software that works without issues than one that is riddled with problems. Lollipop can come to my Turbo when it is good and ready.
    A good point, but I never had issue with KitKat on my devices (nexus 7 and 4, Galaxy s3) that received the update months earlier. Unless there is something unique to Verizon it's Droid devices should not trail by this length of time. My 2 cents is Android upgrades are just not a priority with Verizon. I wonder if they have in house Android OS level developers or farm it out to the lowest bidder.
    12-02-2014 05:41 PM
    My 2 cents is Android upgrades are just not a priority with Verizon. I wonder if they have in house Android OS level developers or farm it out to the lowest bidder.
    And yet for the last two years now the Moto X on Verizon was the first carrier phone to get the Android update, within less than a month than the AOSP code being released. Only Nexus, Google Play Editions, and unlocked, non-carrier phones, received Lollipop faster (and there are still GPE that haven't received the update.)

Verizon has been doing a much better job in the last 18 months getting updates out compared with other carriers.
    12-02-2014 07:16 PM
    A good point, but I never had issue with KitKat on my devices (nexus 7 and 4, Galaxy s3) that received the update months earlier. Unless there is something unique to Verizon it's Droid devices should not trail by this length of time. My 2 cents is Android upgrades are just not a priority with Verizon. I wonder if they have in house Android OS level developers or farm it out to the lowest bidder.
    I would think that Motorola would work with Verizon to also test the updates and tweak them for 5.0 or 4.4.4. None of this is done in a vacuum. It is in everyone's interest to play nice together. I think Turbo update will come around the first of the year as Verizon doesn't want a bunch of bugs to have to deal with. I am quite happy with Kit Kat on my Turbo and can wait for a really clean update to 5.0.
    adayoff likes this.
    12-02-2014 08:04 PM
    Motorola Droid Turbo has everything in it that few would have expected in the new Moto X. With best of the specifications, a great screen, solid build quality system and awesome battery life, the Droid Turbo will make any customer jealous of the fact that it is available exclusively from their carrier only.

DESIGN
    The Motorola Droid Turbo is available in 3 different colors: a metallic black & red and a ballistic nylon black. The major difference between these models goes beyond the color, as the color you choose also depicts what material you’ll find on the back of the device.
    Also, there is a 21 MP camera with a dual LED flash light, which isn’t dimpled like the Moto X (2014) or the Nexus 6.

CAMERA
    The Droid Turbo comes with a 21 MP rear shooter with a f/2.0 aperture and dual LED flash, along with a 2 MP front camera. When it comes to the camera application, things remain simple and crisp, with only a few shooting modes like panorama and HDR available.

DISPLAY
    The Droid Turbo features a 5.2-inch AMOLED display protected by unbreakable Gorilla Glass 3 which boasts a Quad core HD resolution, resulting in a pixel density of a amazing 565 ppi. This is one of the highest pixel densities we have seen on a smartphone display yet, and is certainly a factor to the great viewing experience this display offers.

PERFORMANCE AND HARDWARE
    When it comes to the hardware, the specifications of the Droid Turbo did catch some by surprise, especially when you are considering it as a carrier exclusive device. With the quad-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 805 processor, clocking at around 2.7 GHz, 3 GB of RAM and the Adreno 420 GPU the Droid Turbo boasts the best processing package currently available, and this is certainly reflecting in the performance of Droid Turbo.

PRICE RANGE:
    The Motorola Droid Turbo is available exclusively from Verizon Wireless for $199.99 with a 2 year contract, $24.99/month under Verizon’s Edge program, or for the full retail price of $599.99.
    12-05-2014 11:54 AM
    So, it's a nice phone. I think that it is worthless without the update that allows use of the internet while on the phone. This feature is for work as well as entertainment. This is a wonkful product with a serious flaw. I am not pleased with the units inability to allow me to be productive. Response has been horrible. Told I can only do both important tasks if I am hook up to WiFi. Now I have to use two devices to do the same thing as my last phone. Fruitless.

When is the update going to be available?
    12-05-2014 12:02 PM
    I'd like to see some feedback as to how it's running on the Moto x and g. I think that'll be the true tale of what we're looking at for the turbo.
    All right, I have the Moto X (leather back - purty!) and the Turbo. Lollipop seems to run flawlessly on the X. It's frikkin weird though. The task switcher really threw me with the cards, but now I like it. Notifications are way better, right off the lock screen. I don't notice any difference in battery endurance. I hate the new dialer. But I hated the 4.4.4 dialer too, so no harm done there. I just replaced it with another. I still want Smartactions back, but that's gone forever I guess. All my apps work fine - I have a number of calculators, Kindle, Pandora, Netflix, Amazons crappy streaming service for video, cloud storage of various types and several widgets. All run like they were intended. It took some getting used to, but nothing difficult to figure out. I'm not a fan of the new flat design, but I can live with it since I use Nova and a lot of it is hidden. I hope it comes soon to the Turbo. Food for thought though - the Nokia Icon was a VZW exclusive, and the best WP around. Still is. But they STILL have not release WP8.1 for it and in fact it's been dropped back a stage in testing. Meanwhile nearly every other WP is running 8.1 and it;s a major update. That left a bad taste and I've learned not to expect much from VZW. Yeah they are fast on the Moto X, but they can be maddeningly slow on even flagships.

Enough of that. Android is a different kettle of fish and a much MUCH larger portion of VZWs income. It will show up. I'; like to know when it will come for my trusty Razr MaxxHD :P :P :P
    12-05-2014 02:17 PM
    You won't see it for the Razr Maxx HD.

Sent from my Droid Turbo 64G using Tapatalk.
    12-05-2014 02:24 PM
    All right, I have the Moto X (leather back - purty!) and the Turbo. Lollipop seems to run flawlessly on the X. It's frikkin weird though. The task switcher really threw me with the cards, but now I like it. Notifications are way better, right off the lock screen. I don't notice any difference in battery endurance. I hate the new dialer. But I hated the 4.4.4 dialer too, so no harm done there. I just replaced it with another. I still want Smartactions back, but that's gone forever I guess. All my apps work fine - I have a number of calculators, Kindle, Pandora, Netflix, Amazons crappy streaming service for video, cloud storage of various types and several widgets. All run like they were intended. It took some getting used to, but nothing difficult to figure out. I'm not a fan of the new flat design, but I can live with it since I use Nova and a lot of it is hidden. I hope it comes soon to the Turbo. Food for thought though - the Nokia Icon was a VZW exclusive, and the best WP around. Still is. But they STILL have not release WP8.1 for it and in fact it's been dropped back a stage in testing. Meanwhile nearly every other WP is running 8.1 and it;s a major update. That left a bad taste and I've learned not to expect much from VZW. Yeah they are fast on the Moto X, but they can be maddeningly slow on even flagships.

Enough of that. Android is a different kettle of fish and a much MUCH larger portion of VZWs income. It will show up. I'; like to know when it will come for my trusty Razr MaxxHD :P :P :P
    How's the battery life of lollipop compared to kit kat?
    12-05-2014 02:44 PM
    How's the battery life of lollipop compared to kit kat?
    I don't see any real difference.
    12-05-2014 03:04 PM
    I don't see any real difference.
    Interesting, on my Nexus 7 2013 the difference is night and day. I used to not put my Nexus to sleep and just powered it off because it would be dead in 2 to 3 days with WiFi still on. Now with everything left on just putting the device to sleep I get about 6 days of standby time.

Posted via the Android Central App on my Droid Turbo.
    12-05-2014 03:43 PM
    Interesting, on my Nexus 7 2013 the difference is night and day. I used to not put my Nexus to sleep and just powered it off because it would be dead in 2 to 3 days with WiFi still on. Now with everything left on just putting the device to sleep I get about 6 days of standby time.

Posted via the Android Central App on my Droid Turbo.
    Don't know what to tell you. My Moto X 2014 runs down at what seems to be the same rate as always. I can't do a sleep rundown test - I need to *use* it
    12-05-2014 08:17 PM
    My N7 wifi only got the update late last night. Haven't had a chance to play with it yet. Will give a report later. Anxious to get it on my DT.
    12-07-2014 06:20 AM
    Hey folks, I just talked to Motorola tech support and thought I'd give it a shot in the dark and ask. The guy told me that the Lollipop update for the Droid Turbo is scheduled for Dec 16-17. He said it after a brief pause - seemed to me like he was looking it up, as opposed to pulling an estimate out of thin air. That was a rather specific answer and up until now I haven't heard this anywhere at all. I did a double-take and asked again to be sure - yup, no joke! Who knows if he'll be right or not.

I actually signed up for these forums (after lurking for quite awhile) just to relay this. Don't shoot the messenger if turns out not to be true! Can't wait!
    Wow, I can't believe that this guy might actually be pretty close. Now that there's word of a soak test, a number of folks are speculating that both the Lollipop and VoLTE updates may be coming together, and soon.

I admit that I regretted the above as my 1st ever post almost every day since then, heh. And less than 24 hrs ago I was close to giving up entirely on those dates or anything close to them, since they'd never been confirmed and we hadn't yet heard a peep. I also must've talked to at least 3-4 other Motorola/VZW reps, none of which knew anything about either update. But now it looks like the end (of our wait) is near, whew!

EDIT: Or not... 'twas the VoLTE update but alas no Lollipop in sight.
    12-10-2014 01:08 AM
2,029 ... 45678 ...