06-30-2015 12:52 PM
2,029 ... 6465666768 ...
tools
    It's a lollipop update thread.

Posted via the Android Central App
    For heavens's sake don't answer this in this thread. And whoever asked the battery life question: 50 lashes with a wet noodle -- they should have PM'd McClave and kept the answer a secret from the rest of us. God forbid this sacred thread get off the rails since up to this point it has been the model of "on topic" and "civil" discussion.

After all, LP will be coming out any moment now, and we need every byte we can spare to discuss the ramifications of it's impact on our community.
    06-11-2015 08:43 PM
    For heavens's sake don't answer this in this thread. And whoever asked the battery life question: 50 lashes with a wet noodle -- they should have PM'd McClave and kept the answer a secret from the rest of us. God forbid this sacred thread get off the rails since up to this point it has been the model of "on topic" and "civil" discussion.

After all, LP will be coming out any moment now, and we need every byte we can spare to discuss the ramifications of it's impact on our community.
    Android Central Droid Turbo community, go off the rails, huh? What thread(s) have you been reading?
    06-11-2015 09:19 PM
    Mod Note - No need for personal attacks everyone. Just relax . If you feel a post needs attention just hit the report button to notify the mod team.
    06-11-2015 09:33 PM
    Thought I'd weigh in here, why not right...so watching game 4 of the finals last night and I caught 2 VZ commercials promoting the Turbo almost as their current best flagship phone... So with that publicity & push one would think VZ and Motorola would be making this a higher priority right?

06-12-2015 06:20 AM
    Thought I'd weigh in here, why not right...so watching game 4 of the finals last night and I caught 2 VZ commercials promoting the Turbo almost as their current best flagship phone... So with that publicity & push one would think VZ and Motorola would be making this a higher priority right?

Both companies think it is great out of the box.

M Dev Nexus 6 Assassin Edition. Android Central Moderator.
    Ry likes this.
    06-12-2015 06:58 AM
    Both companies think it is great out of the box.

M Dev Nexus 6 Assassin Edition. Android Central Moderator.
    And both companies are correct.

Posted from my Droid Turbo, Kelly and Ozone
    hub1, ScottyDog, Ry and 1 others like this.
    06-12-2015 07:27 AM
    When has Verizon ever given an official date for when an upgrade will come? And some CSR making up a date doesn't count as official

If you open the link, you'll see Verizon states the OS platform as Lollipop.

06-12-2015 07:29 AM
    If you open the link, you'll see Verizon states the OS platform as Lollipop.

I did open the link. It says Android 4.4.4 kit kat.
    Even if it would've said lollipop, how is that giving a date for when we'll get the update?

06-12-2015 08:17 AM
    And both companies are correct.

In this competitive market you've got to stay ahead of the curve, not behind. Sure it is great out of the box..but as you can see from this thread that does not always matter...

06-12-2015 08:24 AM
    In this competitive market you've got to stay ahead of the curve, not behind. Sure it is great out of the box..but as you can see from this thread that does not always matter...

I see from this thread that it matters a great deal. There are plenty of people here saying they're in no hurry to get lollipop. Besides, this thread represents a minuscule portion of customers and is not at all reflective of the general population.

LinuxWeather and dhoganjr like this.
    06-12-2015 08:31 AM
    My guess is that Verizon has long determined that they sell smartphones mostly on features, sometimes on brand, but rarely on which specific version of the Android OS it is running. We know that they are actively working on the update. It will come when Verizon and Motorola think it's ready and are ready to support it.
    06-12-2015 08:51 AM
    Is there root and a leaked Verizon Turbo Lollipop rom out there somewhere?
    06-12-2015 09:09 AM
    I see from this thread that it matters a great deal. There are plenty of people here saying they're in no hurry to get lollipop. Besides, this thread represents a minuscule portion of customers and is not at all reflective of the general population.

There's another hint at the "it's only us geeks, so it doesn't matter much" mentality we've discussed before.

If that in fact is true, then why the official announcement yesterday to clear up "A LOT of inaccurate information out there?" If it was really such a small and unimportant matter, they wouldn't have felt pressured (unless you believe the timing was just a coincidence...) to finally say something.

One of my biggest frustrations with online tech discussions is they seem to be as polarized as politics. In that regard, I think you guys who continue to underscore that it's only us geeks who care are underestimating the broad interest. No, it isn't widespread, or even a majority, but it's more than you think. I propose that yesterday shows us that.
    Davidoo likes this.
    06-12-2015 09:32 AM
    There's another hint at the "it's only us geeks, so it doesn't matter much" mentality we've discussed before.

If that in fact is true, then why the official announcement yesterday to clear up all the "misinformation out there?" If it was really such a small and unimportant matter, they wouldn't have felt pressured (unless you believe the timing was just a coincidence...) to finally say something.

One of my biggest frustrations with online tech discussions in particular is they seem to be as polarized as politics. In that regard, I think you guys who continue to underscore that it's only us geeks who care are underestimating the broad interest. No, it isn't widespread, or even a majority, but it's more than you think. I propose that yesterday shows us that.
    Maybe it could be that all the tech blogs were reporting on this, and those who commented acted like this was a huge deal. No press is better than bad press. Droid Life in particular has been hounding them publicly on if for quite awhile now. But I'll ask you this, you seem to think that everyone knows so much about this, what proof do you have to back up that all these people are informed? I mean how many Droid Turbos do you think actually got sold? Do you think they even hit the million mark? I'd be surprised if they did considering A. it's not a Samsung device and B. it's exclusive to Verizon.
    06-12-2015 09:41 AM
    Maybe it could be that all the tech blogs were reporting on this, and those who commented acted like this was a huge deal. No press is better than bad press. Droid Life in particular has been hounding them publicly on if for quite awhile now. But I'll ask you this, you seem to think that everyone knows so much about this, what proof do you have to back up that all these people are informed? I mean how many Droid Turbos do you think actually got sold? Do you think they even hit the million mark? I'd be surprised if they did considering A. it's not a Samsung device and B. it's exclusive to Verizon.
    The response. *Something* happened yesterday to force them to comment.
    06-12-2015 09:50 AM

If that in fact is true, then why the official announcement yesterday to clear up "A LOT of inaccurate information out there?" If it was really such a small and unimportant matter, they wouldn't have felt pressured (unless you believe the timing was just a coincidence...) to finally say something.

One of my biggest frustrations with online tech discussions is they seem to be as polarized as politics. In that regard, I think you guys who continue to underscore that it's only us geeks who care are underestimating the broad interest. No, it isn't widespread, or even a majority, but it's more than you think. I propose that yesterday shows us that.
    David Schuster made that post on Google+. He has less than 5,000 followers. If it was really so important, why tell it to so few people? The reason is because it doesn't matter to very many people. Of course the tech sites will pick up on it and relay it to us tech geeks, but other than us apparently Moto doesn't believe many people care or it would have been posted somewhere with much more exposure.

06-12-2015 09:57 AM
    *to be fair 5,000 people on Google + is a lot of people when you consider how many people are actually using Google +
    KPMcClave likes this.
    06-12-2015 10:21 AM
    Maybe the ones who "don't care" & have devices that function "perfectly" on 4.4.4 should refrain on insisting there is no problem and you shouldn't care if real deficiencies are addressed by the update to 5.1.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    06-12-2015 10:25 AM
    Maybe the ones who "don't care" & have devices that function "perfectly" on 4.4.4 should refrain on insisting there is no problem and you shouldn't care if real deficiencies are addressed by the update to 5.1.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    I don't see anyone saying that people here shouldn't care. The arguments are that most people don't care. Obviously most people would like an update. What I've seen is people asking for the hyperbole to be toned down and for some patience and rationality. When we look at the facts, they show that Motorola and Verizon are working on it, hit some road blocks and are still working. No deadlines have been missed and no promises have been broken.

It does indeed seem that most users don't know there is an issue at all, let alone think it is a crisis. Those here do know, and are frustrated. That's okay, it is understandable to be frustrated when something you want isn't happening - but the vitriol seen in some posts here seems to be something that logic can't account for. Neither Verizon nor Motorola screwed anyone over - it's simply taking longer for them to get things working to a level of satisfaction that they want for their customers. If they're not happy with 5.0 and remember the bad experience that Galaxy S5 customers had, maybe waiting and getting it right is the correct move. If you have to choose between sooner or better, do you always choose sooner? These companies have to find that balance and think of what will be a better experience for the most amount of users, not necessarily the most ardent users.
    Almeuit, Phoenix212, hub1 and 2 others like this.
    06-12-2015 11:21 AM
    With zero empirical evidence to back me up, I'd say the tech-heads who follow these forums and try to squeeze out the most out of their phones make up 5% of the Turbo owners. Everyone else merely sauntered into a VZW store and were asked what they were looking for, to which the they replied 'A phone with good battery life'. The pimple-faced sales associate shuffles them over to the Droid display and tells them about the fabulous price with 2yr contracts.

These folks are happy with their OS, most of which don't even know what version of OS it is. I have a friend here at work (and this is even an I.T. shop) who has a Droid Maxx that he's been using for about 1.5 yrs, and I noticed that everything on his home screen is identical to what it was straight out of the box. He added a few apps and that's it. And this guy works in I.T. Most people don't give a rip about the OS or about how much they can customize these phones. VZW knows that, so I'm quite certain they take the outrage on these forums with a grain of salt.
    tlacour likes this.
    06-12-2015 11:53 AM
    David Schuster made that post on Google+. He has less than 5,000 followers. If it was really so important, why tell it to so few people? The reason is because it doesn't matter to very many people. Of course the tech sites will pick up on it and relay it to us tech geeks, but other than us apparently Moto doesn't believe many people care or it would have been posted somewhere with much more exposure.

As I said, it's not even a majority that are paying attention, but it's more than you seem to think. That he felt compelled to post publicly at all, on that exact day, is the entire point. There was enough of a stir created to make him do something he hadn't (WRT the Turbo) for how many months?

That's certainly as valid, and I think even more so, than anecdotal references each of us have to our closed circles of family, co-workers and friends (what my circle knows or does not know isn't exactly a scientifically unbiased sample).
    06-12-2015 12:11 PM
    *to be fair 5,000 people on Google + is a lot of people when you consider how many people are actually using Google +
    Well, and there's that. Great point.
    06-12-2015 12:14 PM
    I don't see anyone saying that people here shouldn't care. The arguments are that most people don't care. Obviously most people would like an update. What I've seen is people asking for the hyperbole to be toned down and for some patience and rationality. When we look at the facts, they show that Motorola and Verizon are working on it, hit some road blocks and are still working. No deadlines have been missed and no promises have been broken.

It does indeed seem that most users don't know there is an issue at all, let alone think it is a crisis. Those here do know, and are frustrated. That's okay, it is understandable to be frustrated when something you want isn't happening - but the vitriol seen in some posts here seems to be something that logic can't account for. Neither Verizon nor Motorola screwed anyone over - it's simply taking longer for them to get things working to a level of satisfaction that they want for their customers. If they're not happy with 5.0 and remember the bad experience that Galaxy S5 customers had, maybe waiting and getting it right is the correct move. If you have to choose between sooner or better, do you always choose sooner? These companies have to find that balance and think of what will be a better experience for the most amount of users, not necessarily the most ardent users.
    Thanks for this. Mainly I'm looking for more "realistic" discussion, myself. You sum that up well. There's just too much hyperbole and exaggeration in a lot of "discussions." Everything turns in to an either/or argument...and words get put in to people's mouths that don't even come clsoe to expressing their actual opinions.

If you don't agree with me, so be it. I just want your disagreement to be with what I've actually said.
    06-12-2015 12:20 PM
    As I said, it's not even a majority that are paying attention, but it's more than you seem to think. That he felt compelled to post publicly at all, on that exact day, is the entire point. There was enough of a stir created to make him do something he hadn't (WRT the Turbo) for how many months?

That's certainly as valid, and I think even more so, than anecdotal references each of us have to our closed circles of family, co-workers and friends (what my circle knows or does not know isn't exactly a scientifically unbiased sample).
    What do you mean "on that exact day"? He posted yesterday which is just as random as every other day we've gotten any kind of update. And why do you think it had been so long since the last time anyone official posted anything? It's because they know that most people don't care. But occasionally they choose to appease the vocal (vast) minority. A minority which is likely much much smaller than you seem to think. You're right, there was a stir. But that sir was among tech geeks. A tech writer made a post and tech sites picked up on it and commenters on those tech sites started talking about it. Notice what all those things had in common? All tech people.
    Getting a comment on some random day lends no validity whatsoever to the notion that the general public cares. Especially given the comment was made on Google+.

hub1 likes this.
    06-12-2015 12:38 PM
    Well, and there's that. Great point.
    Yes, there is that. And yes it is a great point. But the point is that Google+ is a relatively tiny platform. An update was given on a tiny platform because the amount of people that care about that update is also tiny.

06-12-2015 12:41 PM
2,029 ... 6465666768 ...